Tarasenko requesting a trade

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Tarasenko requesting a trade

Post by gaijin »

From The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2690474/2021/07 ... -and-more/
What is expected to be an active offseason for the Blues now has a clear No. 1 priority: trading Vladimir Tarasenko.

Tarasenko has officially requested a trade from the club, multiple sources have told The Athletic.

The right winger asked for the move earlier this offseason, and Blues general manager Doug Armstrong is currently attempting to facilitate the deal, according to league and team sources. There is no apparent timetable for a move, but the expectation is that it could happen before the start of the 2021-22 season.

Tarasenko, 29, is entering the seventh year of an eight-year, $60 million contract ($7.5 million annual average value). His full no-trade clause kicked in two years ago.

He joins a fairly substantial list of NHL stars who could potentially be changing uniforms this offseason: Buffalo’s Jack Eichel, Columbus’ Seth Jones, Washington’s Evgeny Kuznetsov, Calgary’s Johnny Gaudreau and Arizona’s Oliver Ekman-Larsson are among the names out there.

So why did Tarasenko request a trade? What are the likely destinations for him? What could Armstrong get in return? And with the protected list for the upcoming Seattle expansion draft due on July 17, is a deal imminent?

Let’s dive in …

Why did Tarasenko request a trade?
Tarasenko was drafted No. 16 overall by the Blues in 2010. He’s the second-longest-tenured player on the roster behind Jaden Schwartz. He was part of the franchise’s first Stanley Cup.

So why does he want out? According to sources familiar with the situation, he is upset with the team’s handling of his shoulder surgeries in 2018 and 2019 — his first two of three such surgeries, which were both performed by Blues physicians — and feels there’s no trust left between him and the organization.

In March, The Athletic wrote about those procedures and a third one, in 2020, which was carried out by non-club doctors at the Steadman Clinic in Edwards, Colo. The ligament damage from the first injury was not corrected in either of the first two operations, sources say, and wasn’t caught until Tarasenko was seen by the doctors at Steadman.

Furthermore, sources say that Tarasenko complained about discomfort in his shoulder before rejoining the Blues for the playoffs in the Edmonton bubble in 2020 and that he believes the club waited too long before doing additional testing.

Tarasenko appeared in four playoff games against Vancouver that postseason and left the bubble early to return to St. Louis for further evaluation. It was then that he opted to have the third surgery on the same shoulder in the span of 28 months.

After that surgery last summer, Tarasenko returned to the lineup in March and scored four goals in 24 regular-season games and two in four postseason games — both coming in Game 4 of a series sweep at the hands of the Colorado Avalanche.

There was a lot of criticism of Tarasenko’s performance last season — even within the organization — and sources say the lack of trust became a bigger issue at that point because the Blues weren’t taking ownership for the mishandling of the first two surgeries.

The team did not immediately answer requests for a comment for this story.

Tarasenko’s role was also adjusted in the playoffs, making him the Blues’ net-front presence on the power play, and that didn’t sit well with him, according to sources.

Meanwhile, there was lingering disappointment from Tarasenko after the Blues named Ryan O’Reilly as the 23rd captain in team history the previous summer. That story, which originated in Russian media, died because Tarasenko was unavailable for comment to local media until he returned to the lineup three months later, when it became a moot topic.

But sources say the lack of loyalty after eight seasons with the Blues — on top of the growing trust issues — reinforced his belief that a change of scenery was necessary.

What are the likely destinations for him?
Before we can focus on any destinations, we first have to wonder what the interest level is in Tarasenko, who turns 30 in December and has had three shoulder surgeries.

On Wednesday, The Athletic surveyed a handful of NHL general managers, who confirmed that Armstrong has quietly been shopping Tarasenko for a while. Those GMs were aware of his availability but are not interested. It’s a small sample but could be a glimpse of the difficulty the Blues can expect in trying to move him.

There has been speculation that Tarasenko’s camp has supplied the Blues with a shortlist of teams to which he’d approve a trade, but sources say the list includes as many as 10 teams.

It would make sense for Tarasenko, who switched to agent Paul Theofanous from Mike Liut this summer, to be open-minded about where he’s potentially going. If he limited the number of clubs to which the Blues could trade him, he’d be lessening his chances of getting moved.

The salary cap is staying at $81.5 million in 2021-22, and according to CapFriendly, almost half of the NHL’s teams have less than $15 million left in projected space and multiple players still to sign. Money can always be moved around to make it work, but Tarasenko’s $7.5 million AAV is no small sum to squeeze under the cap.

Another potential complication is that Tarasenko’s actual salary in 2021-22 is $9.5 million — $2 million more than his cap hit. That’s because he received a lesser amount in previous seasons, and in fact, is due just $5.5 million in actual salary in the last year of his deal in 2022-23. Coming out of a season in which NHL owners lost millions because of the pandemic, that $9.5 million salary next season might thin out the pack of suitors.

Furthermore, Tarasenko will likely want to play for a contender, and the list of those teams with limited cap space next season includes Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, the New York Islanders, Vegas, Washington, Montreal, Toronto and Florida. They make up eight of the 16 teams that made the postseason this year, and the number is nine including the Blues.

The Islanders, who were knocked out of this year’s playoffs by Tampa Bay, have been mentioned as a possible fit. The New York Rangers, who have Tarasenko’s close friend Artemi Panarin (who is also represented by Theofanous) could be another. Would he waive his no-trade clause to play in Edmonton with Connor McDavid and company?

There could be options, but with the salary-cap constraints and lack of interest among some clubs, Tarasenko may not have his pick of the litter if he wants to be moved in a timely manner.

What could Armstrong get in return?
Well, there are two factors at play.

No. 1, in an exclusive interview with The Athletic recently, Blues owner Tom Stillman echoed Armstrong’s stance earlier this year that the club’s championship window is still open. That would suggest that the team would not be interested in trading Tarasenko for draft picks and prospects.

No. 2, the Blues may have to retain some of Tarasenko’s $7.5 million cap hit in a trade, and how much they remain on the hook for could determine the size of the return.

Do the Blues dream big and go after Calgary’s Matthew Tkachuk?

Sources say the club has interest in Tkachuk, the oldest son of former Blues player Keith Tkachuk, who is a college scout for the team. The 23-year-old may not be available now, but he has just one year left on his three-year, $21 million contract, after which he’ll be a restricted free agent and could force the Flames’ hand to trade him before he becomes unrestricted.

According to sources, it would take much more than Tarasenko to pry Tkachuk away from Calgary, and that’s if Tarasenko would even waive his no-trade clause to go to western Canada, which isn’t a guarantee.

Another possibility for the Blues is dealing Tarasenko in a cap-savings move and allowing David Perron and Jordan Kyrou to man top-six spots at right wing. There appears to be interest in re-signing Schwartz, a pending UFA, but if that doesn’t happen, the team could use the savings from a Tarasenko trade and what would have gone to Schwartz to help land a more expensive left winger like Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog.

There’s also the option of dealing Tarasenko for a defenseman or using his cap savings to sign a blueliner in free agency.

Is a deal imminent?
The answer at the moment seems to be no, but that could change quickly.

There are just 10 days left before the Blues must submit their protected list for the upcoming Seattle Kraken expansion draft. They are expected to protect seven forwards, and if Tarasenko remains on the roster, he would likely take one of those spots.

In 2017, the Blues used one of their seven spots to protect forward Ryan Reaves and then traded him to Pittsburgh shortly after the Vegas expansion draft. That’s not a lot of time to get a trade of this magnitude done, so one would have to think Armstrong would do the same if he doesn’t have a deal done with Tarasenko before July 17.

The Blues aren’t going to trade Tarasenko for nothing, so at this point, there appears to be no rush. In 531 regular-season games, he has scored 218 goals, which ranks fifth in club history behind Brett Hull (527), Bernie Federko (352), Brian Sutter (303) and Garry Unger (292). He has 35 goals in 78 playoff games.

Though Tarasenko has had three shoulder surgeries, he still possesses one of the most lethal shots in the league when healthy. But he hasn’t been healthy, which has led to underperforming, which has led to criticism.

The relationship between the Blues and the star winger appears irreparably damaged, and those close to him say it’s time to move on.
I don't even know what to say. Yes, I have been disappointed with his performance the last few years, but I never really seriously considered he would ask for a trade. Man, my younger kids are going to cry.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Tarasenko requesting a trade

Post by glen a richter »

I was about to post this. I think the 2021-22 version of the Blues is going to be dramatically different starting with Tarasenko getting traded. I don't think they'll re-sign Schwartz, I'm confident Dunn will be picked by Seattle, Bozak won't be back... bottom line is that this team hasn't won a playoff game since the big one, they've been a so-so team really since last season was put on hold. They have good players but they can't keep up with the top tier teams.

As I see it, the defense is problem #1. Binnington had an amazing run, obviously, in the Cup year, but the defense was dramatically different from what it is now. That needs to be addressed. I do think that Mikkola was always supposed to be the heir apparent to Bouwmeester but when he had his issue they were forced to address it ahead of schedule which is why they brought in Scandella. Mikkola is ready now and Scandella has a modified NTC. I don't know which teams are and aren't on his list, but I'd like to toss out this "Never gonna happen" proposal.

Tarasenko + Scandella + the 1st round pick to the Rags

Kaako + Braden Schneider + a conditional 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2022 to the Blues

If it were up to me, I'd be using the 1st round pick this year on Corson Ceulemans, a RHD. So giving up the 1st rounder to get Schneider as part of the trade doesn't really bother me. Obviously the big problem with this is how much very talented youth the Rags would be giving up so it would probably take someone else too--Kyrou or Thomas, which would be tough to accept.

I think that the problem becomes we value Tarasenko on what he was capable of, but he's going to be viewed as damaged goods and getting a quality return for him won't be as easy as we'd like.

Alternately, they might be able to pry away just Schneider. Use the money not being spent on Tarasenko and make a run at Landeskog. Screw Colorado a little in the process.
Last edited by glen a richter on Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

When a team screws up two surgeries and doesn't accept responsibility - that's a problem. It makes me question the current Blues medical staff and what's going to happen with Parayko. If Parayko really has a disc problem in his back, surgery is the answer - not rest. Unfortunately, we now know Blues surgeons screwed up in fixing Tarasenko's shoulder. So what happens going forward beyond Tarasenko? I don't know, but it's not a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The Rags aren't giving up a 19 year old 1st round pick, 20 year old 1st round pick and a first for a questionable Tarasenko and a 31 year old defenseman especially when the two older players would add 13M to the Rags cap for guys currently on ELCs.

That is truly dreaming.

More realistic - Trouba and Strome for Tank and Scandella. No draft picks and it's even in Cap terms, but the Blues get screwed talent wise and Trouba has a NMC.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

As to this year's draft, this is the weakest draft in the past 14 years. If you aren't drafting in the Top 10, you aren't getting any significant talent. Even in the Top 10, there are no "Stars". I'd trade as many draft picks for actual players as possible including trying to get players teams have drafted in the past two seasons.

https://topdownhockey.medium.com/nhl-eq ... 762f96248d

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Yea read that last night during the game. Sad it's come to this but it's understandable all the way around.

This team is rapidly heading towards a rebuild. Trade or no we haven't had Tarasenko's production since the cup run so that's a 1st line RW we've lost. Petro is gone, so there's a top-pairing RHD that's gone.

At what point does Stillman and Army's belief that the "window is still open" to win another Cup start to be laughable?

I don't mean this to be Debbie-Downer but how in the heck are we going to make the logistics work on a Tarasenko trade? (1) He's got a $7.5 AAV with $9.5 in actual cash this year with flat cap financially hard-hit league. (2) Nobody knows if he can regain his form or not. (3) He's got a full NTC so can nix any location he doesn't want even if Army DOES manage to get something worked out, (4) oh and this is public now so everybody knows he wants out.

Good luck Army, I guess that's all I can say. I'm getting the distinct feeling Blues will have to retain a good chunk of salary to facilitate any kind of trade that might happen or take on a bad contract ourselves (James Neal in Edmonton?) to make this happen. The numbers just don't work.

I guess we don't have to trade him but then what do you do with him? I wouldn't want his pouty, half hearted (at best) person to be around the other players, much less playing, so you just have a $7.5 asset sitting in the press box every night? Threaten to send him to the minors to start the year if he doesn't expand the teams he'd be willing to be traded to?

What a mess. No matter how you spin it we're not getting a 30 goal scorer for a former 30 goal scorer and we're losing an asset for (probably) considerably less than his value was even 2 years ago.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Too bad not every team can figure out how to get away with being 18 million over the cap and still win the Cup.

But I'm sure Army will figure something out. I agree he needs to get this crazy idea that there's still a window open out of his head and realize that even if there was a window open, the other side of that window includes far better teams with far stronger rosters. Retrospectively, and even as I was typing it last night, I know that Tarasenko trade to the Rangers was a shitty pipe dream but I do think he will end up somewhere in the east.

Now if only we could offer sheet Cale Makar and sign Landeskog out from under Colorado, that shit would be a damn coup.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

As a hypothetical, what happens if no one wants Tarasenko and he winds up going to KHL? Is his contract/cap hit suspended, with the Blues retaining rights? Or is there a negotiation over the remaining years of his contract since even if he does come back, he will be a few years older?
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I’m surprised the relationship is this bad. Sounds like it’s over.

If I’m the blues I only really concern myself with getting rid of all the money, even if the return isn’t great. Funnel that money into landeskog (or saad and Schwartz/a 2nd fa lw)

I know it’s not ideal, but if someone doesn’t take all the money, keep him.

I fully expect him to be worth it to whomever trades for him. 25-30 goals. But we can get a 25 goal scorer on the left side with that money who might also add some grit, and you have Perron and kyrou for the top 6 rw.

And unless a trade looks super likely, I absolutely expose tank to Seattle now. Another young forward gets protected.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I was talking to my buddy who's a Bruins fan by birth, a Canes fan by way of his military service and an islanders fan by way of where we live and he thinks Tarasenko is exactly what the Isles need. I really think both the Rangers and Islanders would be in on him which could theoretically up the return, two geographically similar teams fighting for the services of the same guy who could get them over the hump.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I do believe the Rags would be a good fit considering Tarasenko and Panarin played together in the KHL for St Pete Ska in 12-13. It's just working the logistics of the trade. Cap looks like it works. 23.775M in space with only 2 UFAs, 2 arbitration eligible RFAs, and a few non-arbitration eligible RFAs. He'd fit.

As to if he returns to the KHL... no idea. Trying to look up what happened with other players who did that and what happened with their contracts.

The Sobotka situation was unique. He had signed with the KHL while still a restricted FA with the Blues. Blues filed for arbitration (yes, it works both ways) and were awarded a 1-yr contract for Soboka which would kick in if/when he returned to the NHL. Given Tarasenko is no longer in the "restricted' category, no idea how that works.

Shipachyov was the last guy under contract who left for the KHL, afaik. His contract was "terminated". He was considered voluntarily retired and Vegas retains his NHL rights, should he return, until age 35. His cap hit was wiped out at that point. This is likely what would happen if Tarasenko left the Blues for the KHL. The kicker if this were to happen, the Blues wouldn't have his cap hit to work with until he left. Shipachyov basically screwed Vegas out of 4.5 million in November of the 17-18 season. Yes, they could use it for trades, but they didn't have it in the off-season to acquire talent. The above paragraph is my best guess were this to happen. At least it's not Kovalchuk level...

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

JCShutout wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:12 pm
I’m surprised the relationship is this bad. Sounds like it’s over.
J.R. was on NHL Network Radio this morning and the way he was talking... it's over. When a player is publicly criticizing your health staff, when you were already shopping him anyway, when he's reportedly not fitting with the locker room, yea he's done.
If I’m the blues I only really concern myself with getting rid of all the money, even if the return isn’t great. Funnel that money into landeskog (or saad and Schwartz/a 2nd fa lw)

I know it’s not ideal, but if someone doesn’t take all the money, keep him.
I don't know what to feel like now. I almost feel like a big contract for Schwartz is just wasted money and let's just start the rebuild. That's horrible to say and likely not what Army does but realistically where are the Blues in the NHL power rankings right now? J.R. this morning said 17-25 :shock:

I don't know if it's THAT bad, but we're certainly not top 10. If you're not contending for a cup you might as well rebuild. The worst place you can possibly be is the messy middle: not good enough to win a cup, not bad enough to keep missing the playoffs. *sigh*
I fully expect him to be worth it to whomever trades for him. 25-30 goals. But we can get a 25 goal scorer on the left side with that money who might also add some grit, and you have Perron and kyrou for the top 6 rw.
I would argue that's far from a given at this point. Heck, I wonder if he can hit 20. I get he's still getting used to playing but this year was bad. Nobody knows. Wouldn't shock me if he scored 30 again. Wouldn't shock me if he is never the same and never even gets to 20 again. Nothing would surprise me with him when you're talking about a shoulder that's had 3 surgeries.
And unless a trade looks super likely, I absolutely expose tank to Seattle now. Another young forward gets protected.
If a trade isn't done by the expansion draft roster protection list I still say you protect him. I have a real hard time believing you can't get something for the guy. More than you would for Barbashev or Blais I would think. But I don't know much :P . No matter what I still say the Kraken take Dunn if he's still available to pluck by that point.

I would get both Tarasenko and Dunn traded before the protected list deadline if at all possible.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm strongly in favor of a rebuild. 100% agreed it's better than being stuck in the middle and getting shafted with some lousy draft positions but also not being remotely good enough to complete through four rounds of the playoffs. I see teams like Colorado, Vegas, Tampa Bay and what I see is a complete roadblock to the Blues going anywhere in the playoffs as currently built.

What a rebuild now does is it helps the team get players that will make them more competitive with the big dogs sooner. This team is loaded with problems. The defense is a shell of its championship self which is exposing Jordan Binnington's weaknesses. They have a ton of money tied up in Faulk and Krug, they're about to possibly have a ton of money tied up in Parayko, they have zero depth on the right side, the depth they have on the left side is good but not anyone I'd predict to be a top pairing d-man. They have a lot of mid-bottom 6 forward prospects but again no one I'd consider a top line talent.

I think that Mikkola was the natural heir to Bouwmeester and when Bouw went down the process got all screwed up because they didn't think Mikkola was ready, so instead they traded for Scandella and for some ungodly reason not only extended him but gave him a partial no trade clause.

I think Neighbours was the natural heir to Schwartz but you absolutely cannot convince me that he's NHL ready after just having an abridged season this past year. If

I don't think there's any heir apparent's to Tarasenko or O'Reilly should the time come. The pipeline is, again, filled with guys who may be good NHL players but it would be a damn near miracle if they turned into top line guys. Who is there in the system to compete with your Rantanen/McKinnon/Landeskog's or your Kucherov's and Point's?

What would I like to see?

Trade Tarasenko, try to get a couple of almost-NHL ready guys and maybe a pick

Offer sheet Cale Makar, even if Colorado matches you back them into a financial corner because they have a lot of guys due a raise and they for shit sure can't keep them all.

Try to sign Gabriel Landeskog

Trade Dunn for something. I don't particularly care what exactly but trade him for something rather than losing him to Seattle for squat. Get Perunovich in the lineup regularly next season.

Same with Scandella. Regular ice time for Mikkola, please.

Forget Hoffman, Bozak and Schwartz. You're going in on a rebuild, get Neighbours in there whether he's ready or not. The vets left on the roster will help him as needed.

In lieu of Hoffman, get Kostin up permanently.

Swing a deal with Seattle to take Faulk possibly by offering them either Joel Hofer or Colten Ellis, especially if item #2 (Cale Makar) ends up with his offer sheet not matched, obviously they need to open up a lot of cap space in that case.

I'm not really taking into any sort of consideration how the lines or the defensive pairings would shake out given any of this stuff but the point I'm trying to make is that I want to see a sizable shake up. Of course there's a big reason why I'm not a GM and some of this is completely out of the realm of possibility but hey why not dream a little?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Would Makar sign an offer sheet with the Blues? He's on a contender. Why would he bother signing an offer sheet with a rebuilding team other than "more money"? Avs are going to take care of Makar considering his talent level and age. No smart GM let's right-handed, massively talented defenseman get to the offer sheet stage. See the Blues and Parayko during the 16-17 season when Toronto fans kept making the same type of offer sheet comments.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Avs have an awful lot of players they need to pay this year and next, though yes, Makar is most likely their top priority.

It just bugs the shit out of me that the Blues have such a woeful lack of appreciation for their need to address RHD, and we've talked about it a bunch of times in here. Reinke ain't it, Matt Kessel hell, the kid was a late 5th round draft pick so there's a crapshoot if ever there was one. I really want them to use their 1st rounder, if they keep it, on Corson Ceulemans, but even he has a suspect scouting report regarding his defensive skills. I wonder if Colorado hadn't drafted Justin Barron one pick earlier if the Blues wouldn't have taken him instead of Neighbours. It just defies all sorts of logic that they don't see any urgency to get depth on that side of the blueline.

Now Tarasenko for a RHD would be nice. Who would bite and who would they offer up? I don't see too many UFA's who jump out to me as someone I'd be more than happy to spend a few dollars on to solidify that position.

Again, solving the (Frank) on defense will help Binnington which, in turn, helps the team. I don't see it necessarily as losing 30 potential goals from Tarasenko but also preventing X number of goals by having a better defense to help out the goalie. Binner had zero shutouts last season. Zero. You can't pin that entirely on him.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

glen a richter wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:45 pm
I'm strongly in favor of a rebuild. 100% agreed it's better than being stuck in the middle and getting shafted with some lousy draft positions but also not being remotely good enough to complete through four rounds of the playoffs. I see teams like Colorado, Vegas, Tampa Bay and what I see is a complete roadblock to the Blues going anywhere in the playoffs as currently built.
I feel we have too many larger, long term contracts to go into rebuild mode right now. So I don't think a rebuild makes sense because of that. I think you try to fill the holes and come back at it. We don't have a ton of young AHL/Junior talent ready to plug in either.
What they do this offseason will determine if the window is truly still open...because if they fail to make things click this offseason, things could get ugly.
This team is at a pretty big fork in the road. They could go either way depending on the moves Army is able/not able to make. Huge, huge, huge question marks right now. The right moves could have them contending for a few years... the wrong moves and this could get ugly.
I can't remember an offseason that has been this crucial, in quite some time.
glen a richter wrote:What would I like to see?

Offer sheet Cale Makar, even if Colorado matches you back them into a financial corner because they have a lot of guys due a raise and they for shit sure can't keep them all.
I'd LOVE for the Blues to stir the pot and offer sheet Makar. But I just don't see it happening.
glen a richter wrote:Try to sign Gabriel Landeskog
Would love it... don't see it happening though. Word is, he's going to get a deal done in COL.
glen a richter wrote:Trade Dunn for something. I don't particularly care what exactly but trade him for something rather than losing him to Seattle for squat. Get Perunovich in the lineup regularly next season.
If they trade Tarsenko before the expansion draft, they might be able to protect Dunn... depending on who they get in return.
glen a richter wrote:Same with Scandella. Regular ice time for Mikkola, please.
I like Mikkola. He's a keeper. I'm also big on Walman. They both showed a ton last year.
glen a richter wrote:Forget Hoffman, Bozak and Schwartz. You're going in on a rebuild, get Neighbours in there whether he's ready or not. The vets left on the roster will help him as needed.
Keeping/not keeping Hoffman & Shchwartz is all about money. Hoffman will likely get a big offer from someone and leave. Schwartz may too...but if he doesn't, and you can sign him for a chunk less AAV than his last contract...I think you give that a hard look. Of course, not if you're rebuilding... which you think they should... but I'm not there.
glen a richter wrote:In lieu of Hoffman, get Kostin up permanently.
I hope Kostin is ready to go. I want to see what he can do when given a regular shift...whenever that may be. But if he is ready to plug into the roster to start the season, you'd think he'd have gotten more of a look at the end of last season. 2 games to give the regulars some rest isn't that much... so he'll have to really impress in camp I think... especially if we acquire some bodies in trades or free agency.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cprice12 wrote: ...This team is at a pretty big fork in the road. They could go either way depending on the moves Army is able/not able to make. Huge, huge, huge question marks right now. The right moves could have them contending for a few years... the wrong moves and this could get ugly.
I can't remember an offseason that has been this crucial, in quite some time.
Agreed.

2018 comes to mind but that was more about the necessity to make some big moves to ADD to the roster to put it over the top.

This offseason it's a more fundamental question: Where is this franchise going?

At least publicly, Stillman still wants to "go for it" and Army says that was his formal recommendation so whether or not the Blues "should" rebuild, I suspect we're going to see the opposite: big moves to try and get back in the mix.

All that being said, unless you're getting a HUGE piece I think you keep that 16th overall pick and take the best player available.

Buckle up everyone.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Hmm… (“Things could change”)

PLEASE HIT THE MARKET

Also heard on the radio (101) that Edmonton traded for Keith and is taking on all his cap hit. Good sign for a tank trade?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I don't really get why Landeskog would want to come here? The team you were on just swept us and relatively easily. I can't see the money or contract terms being so drastically different between the Blues and Avs that he'd leave for here. Makes no sense.

If the terms of that Keith trade are true that's an absolute fleece job by the Blackhawks. You have an aging out complementary piece with a relatively high cap hit who's already said he wants to go to western Canada to be closer to his kids, Oilers have all the leverage... and a 3rd round pick AND Caleb Jones? What the f*** is Ken Holland smoking? Is there something in the water in Edmonton that makes GM's lose their minds? Help me understand...

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Re: landy: True on col spanking us, but we aren’t far removed from a chip, and if he has to choose between a discount and prime money, you never know.