Blues Trade Deadline Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Blues Trade Deadline Thread

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I know there's typically an NHL-wide trade deadline thread but with the recent news with Bouwmeester I think this upcoming deadline is compelling enough for the Blues that it's own thread is warranted.

I won't give away all of what it said, but Rutherford's recent article on the Athletic (which, by the way, if you haven't subscribed you should, the content is outstanding. PM me and I can send you an invite and get a reward too! 8) ) laid it out pretty plainly:

Blues were/are in the market for a top 6 forward and that hasn't changed. What's changed is their need for a defenseman now. With Jay Bo presumably out for the year, Mikkola is the only "back up" NHL defenseman the Blues have. It'd be asking a heck of a lot for anyone behind him to come in and give it a go late in the season or playoffs. We're one injury away from almost literally having nobody as backup on defense. We don't have a Cale Makar or Charlie McAvoy...

Thoughts on the forward acquisition? My fear, as always, is cost. After what Tampa just paid for Coleman I think the price for Kreider just skyrocketed. I'm not interested.

What about Michael Del Zotto on defense? He's familiar with the team obviously, bare minimum cap hit and according to his head coach five days ago Del Zotto has had a hugely positive attitude this year and has been relentless with his training and conditioning.

It'd be a super cheap depth piece that wouldn't prevent Army from doing whatever else he would want to do at the deadline either.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Blues Trade Deadline Thread

Post by gaijin »

Del Zotto would be better than nothing in terms of depth. Even though he couldn't regularly crack the lineup when he was here last season, the situation obviously has changed (and it's not like the defense has been lights out recently anyway). And like you said, he is at least already familiar with the team and the overall gameplan. So for depth, sure. It seems weird to have to give up something to get a player that was on the team a few months ago. Just as long as the price is not too high.

For forwards? No idea. I'm afraid asking price is going to be too steep for any decent rental players.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I’d say by trading for Faulk Army definitely broke what didn’t need fixing. Now the defense is in a bad way because of that trade and losing Bouw certainly didn’t help matters. We don’t need a forward, we need the defense to play the way they should be playing. That would also solve Binner.

I would just play Mikkola and be done with it, the best thing for this team would be to subtract Faulk but that ain’t happening. Don’t deplete draft picks and prospects just to correct a mistake. They’ll only make the problem worse.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Faulk definitely hasn't done what I expected. He was too consistent in Carolina for too long for me to think this is his new normal, but i'm not really sure where he goes from here.

If they were going to trade him, now would be the only time a team might consider his effort here as a blip and be willing to bank on his time in Carolina.

He was really starting to do better a month or so ago. So i'm hoping that he will rebound once this team-wide funk is figured out.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Don't know if this warrants his own thread, but Toffoli is off the table. Headed to Vancouver in exchange for Tim Schaller, prospect Tyler Madden and a 2nd Round Pick.
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-vancouv ... 06195.html

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

If it makes anyone feel better Faulk has been historically bad.

"Why does that make me feel better?"

It's the bottom. Worst statistical season of his career. It almost literally can't be any worse. So whenever he snaps out of it (hopefully by or at the playoffs this season) he'll be better for it and will hopefully be better next year.

Just in time to move him to Seattle :twisted:

But overall, yea I agree. There was nothing in the world preventing Army from having Edmundson for a year on a 1 year deal being overpaid and disliked by ownership/management. It's a one year deal, who cares?

Totally agree: they attempted to fix something that wasn't broken. Only thing I can figure is that arbitration hearing was REALLY bad and Army was really pessimistic that Petro would get done. It's the only way that trade makes sense.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Apparently, Blues got Scandella for 2nd and a conditional 4th. Must not consider Mikkola ready but there's your LHSD ladies and gentlemen.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

That's a bit concerning. Montreal needs defenseman and trading one away for a 2nd and conditional 4th seems to be very little return for a player they would supposedly need whom they'd just acquired in January. Of course, Scandella is way over-paid (thanks Chuck Fletcher - current Flyers GM) for what he provides.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Looks like Montreal scored a 2nd rd pick out of the BUF - MTL - STL trade here.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

That must be the cost of acquiring talent from Buffalo after the ROR trade.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

That trade will be just enough. There’s no need for a top 6 forward, there was a need for defense. Trade made, problem solved. Let’s move forward now.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Scandella will help shore up the hole on LD, and The Habs retaining 50% of his salary helps. But, I hate to see another 2nd Rounder go. I would have been much more happy giving up a 3rd and a conditional 3rd, than giving up a 2nd and a conditional 4th. Bill Armstrong and his gang usually do pretty well with 2nd Rounders (Kyrou as an example). There's a big drop-off in chances to get a difference maker moving from The 2nd Round to The 3rd.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I don't see Scandella being that much of a difference maker, honestly. He's an average LD with less offensive skill than Edmundson. Mikkola has more reach. Would have rather seen the Blues give the prospect a real opportunity than get another average, veteran LD. Just being a veteran doesn't automagically make that guy better than whichever prospect. And unless Scandella is going to take way less money next season, this is a 100% rental trade.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I assume the condition on the 4th round pick is attached to re-signing Scandella, which I also assume won't happen.

Hate the lose the 2nd round pick. I'm going into this draft on the hope that RHD is addressed. Mikkola, Walman, Tucker and Perunovich are all LHD and there's a void in depth at RHD in the system. Bypassing the 2nd round isn't going to help on that front, but maybe they can recoup the pick in a trade around draft time. In my preliminary research, Braden Schneider or Justin Barron look like good options with the 1st round pick, guys who would fit the Blues style on defense. But skipping over the 2nd round will hurt.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

On that front, Tucker had a 7 point night on Feb 17. 2 G, 5A

Yes, he had a hand in 7 of the 12 goals scored.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Hindsight being what it is the Blues would've been better off for this season if they'd kept Edmundson. Le sigh. Oh well.

For whatever it's worth, Scandella, in his first interview after practice yesterday, was absolutely gushing about being with the Blues. Smiling ear to ear, he is PUMPED to be here.

Agree with you guys: I'd sooner have parted with two 3rd round picks or a 3rd and two 4th's... whatever. But a 2nd is what the market likely warranted.

I still say Del Zotto for a 6th or 7th would be the way to have gone :P

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

If they try and play Scandella 20+ minutes a night in a pairing with Parayko, like is being suggested might happen, it's not going to go well, IMO. He isn't a top 4 caliber defenseman.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Where am I?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko