GDT 57: 2/11/20 | 9:00 PM CT | @ Ducks | FSMW/101ESPN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT 57: 2/11/20 | 9:00 PM CT | @ Ducks | FSMW/101ESPN

Post by theohall »

Perhaps a road swing toward a warmer climate is what the St. Louis Blues need to distance themselves from a recent cooling trend.

Before heading to Vegas on Thursday, the defending champions will pay a visit to California on Tuesday to face an Anaheim Ducks team they defeated soundly 4-1 at home on Jan. 13.

At the time, there was no reason to think trouble was ahead. The Blues extended their home winning streak to nine games with the victory over the Ducks, and backup goalie Jake Allen was a star for the day with 20 saves. Brayden Schenn had two assists.

Yet, troubles managed to start from there.

St. Louis followed that victory with a 4-3 overtime defeat to the Philadelphia Flyers, and the downturn began. The Blues are just 2-5-2 over their last nine games, although they did earn a point in Saturday's 3-2 overtime defeat to the Dallas Stars.

Despite their recent woes, the Blues still lead the Central Division, and their 73 points are the most in the Western Conference.

"We've been playing good. We've had our chances," the Blues' Colton Parayko told reporters after Saturday's OT loss. "We're just in the middle of a little bit of a grind right now. That's the way it goes. It's a long season. We have a group in here that knows how to respond, and we know what to do. We're in a good spot still. Nothing to be worried about, obviously."

Parayko scored two goals Sunday against the Stars.

The Blues certainly know how to recover from a tough situation. It was far worse last season, and the Blues went from the bottom of the NHL to Stanley Cup champions in a matter of a few months.

"When we're good, we're hungry around the net," Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo said. "We just got away from that."

The Ducks have struggled for two seasons now, but they have been racing back toward a break-even record after a 3-0-2 road trip. It is the first time they have recorded points over five consecutive games since 2018. Over its last 10 games, Anaheim is 6-2-2.

The Ducks ended their road trip Sunday with a 3-2 victory at the Buffalo Sabres. Anaheim is 23-26-7 on the season after they were 17-24-5 as recently as Jan. 13.

Like the Blues, the Ducks' turnaround came immediately after the teams played each other at St. Louis.

In the victory over the Sabres on Sunday, the Ducks leaned on their stars as Jakob Silfverberg and Ryan Getzlaf scored in the first period. Nick Ritchie also had an early goal as the Ducks squeezed all of their production into a 5:45 stretch of the first period.

Veteran goalie Ryan Miller stopped 31 of 33 Sabres shots in his return to Buffalo, including 15 in the third period. Miller spent his first 11 seasons with the Sabres.

"I think we're learning lessons, for sure," Ducks coach Dallas Eakins said, according to NHL.com. "To have a lead going into the third is something we haven't been afforded a whole bunch of this year. It's not like we've had great practice at protecting leads, and so that certainly is a positive, even though I'm not sure our third period was the greatest one. But we will learn some lessons there."
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT 57: 2/11/20 | 9:00 PM CT | @ Ducks | FSMW/101ESPN

Post by gaijin »

I wonder if players ever go to Disneyland when they make these west-coast road trips. I would imagine they do.

Well, hopefully it clears their heads and they can get a regulation win.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Haven't seen full lineup, yet. Allen in goal. Blais on Schwartz/Schenn line.

Edit: the full thing:

Sanford - ROR - DP57
Schwartz - Schenn - Blais
Steen - Thomas - Bozak
MacEachern - Barbashev - Kyrou

Defense

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Dunn - Faulk

Goalie
Allen

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Kyrou strips away the puck!!!! Barbashev scores after The Ducks' turnover!!!! Blues tie it at 1!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Did Boumeester take a hard hit to his head??? I don't remember any play where I saw anything like that.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

He collapsed after returning to the bench.

Good news that Bouwmeester came back to consciousness, before getting into the ambulance for his trip to Emergency Hospital.
And the game has been postponed. To be made up later.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Wow. I was just pulling into the driveway from picking my boys up from Scouts when I got a text that Bouwmeester had collapsed on the bench and was taken out on a stretcher. By the time I got inside to the TV, they had already announced the game had been postponed.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery, Jay.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JBo suffered a cardiac episode on the bench.
Nothing on the ice seemed to trigger it. It's the same kind of thing we've seen a handful of times in the hockey world. Player goes to the bench after a shift, then collapses. It's rare...but it has happened a few times on professional teams, and I'm sure it's happened in other lower level leagues too.
JR said he is currently in stable condition...which is honestly great news considering he could have easily died on the bench just a few hours prior.
Surely there will be more news in the morning. Hopefully it's all good.

On a less important note...we may have just seen Jay Bouwmeester play his last NHL game.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Damn, I’m glad Bouw got attended to quickly, that’s the sort of thing I didn’t want to or expect to see when I checked the score.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong has released the following statement regarding Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester:

"With 7:50 remaining in the first period of our game tonight, Jay Bouwmeester suffered a cardiac episode and collapsed on our bench after completing his shift. Thankfully, with the quick response of our medical trainers, Anaheim medical trainers and their team physicians, they were able to stabilize Jay. He was alert and moving all of his extremities as he was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center. Currently, Jay is conscious and alert as he undergoes further testing by Anaheim's physicians. We will update Jay's condition on Wednesday morning."
I wondered if it was something heart-related. At one point, it looked like one of the medical staff might have been performing chest compressions.

Huge props to the Ducks, their staff and fans for their response to this event as well. Thank you Anaheim.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Holy cow! I'm sitting last night typing in that thread for the contest and didn't even realize. (I wasn't even going to check the score until the morning because I didn't want to stay up late because of an early day today) So scary. Stay safe and healthy JBou. Major props to the Ducks and the NHL for cancelling the game. Life is short and people's lives are so much more important than a game.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

gaijin wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:10 am
St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong has released the following statement regarding Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester:

"With 7:50 remaining in the first period of our game tonight, Jay Bouwmeester suffered a cardiac episode and collapsed on our bench after completing his shift. Thankfully, with the quick response of our medical trainers, Anaheim medical trainers and their team physicians, they were able to stabilize Jay. He was alert and moving all of his extremities as he was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center. Currently, Jay is conscious and alert as he undergoes further testing by Anaheim's physicians. We will update Jay's condition on Wednesday morning."
I wondered if it was something heart-related. At one point, it looked like one of the medical staff might have been performing chest compressions.

Huge props to the Ducks, their staff and fans for their response to this event as well. Thank you Anaheim.
Nobody has said that actual chest compressions were done...at least not that I've seen anyway. Chest compressions would mean that his heart actually stopped and he has flatlined.
A defibrillator WAS used though, which is used to correct a dangerously irregular heartbeat causing lack of oxygen to the brain. You can't use a defibrillator on someone who's heart has actually stopped.
A lot of people are saying "paddles" were used, which is inaccurate. I don't think modern day fib machines use paddles anymore. They use patches that stick to the chest...at least that's how I understand it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I don't think modern day fib machines use paddles anymore. They use patches that stick to the chest...at least that's how I understand it.
That is 100% correct. They are called Automatic Electronic Defibrillators (AEDs). One patch is placed above the heart, one below, press a button and the machine detects what's wrong and tells you whether or not an actual shock is needed, and performs that shock if necessary.

California Blues
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by California Blues »

Encouraging to hear that he is conscious and stable. Very frightening stuff. Hoping for a quick and full recovery.
Take care, Jay.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Army will give a statement on Jay's condition this afternoon, from Las Vegas.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'd been a bad Blues fan lately: haven't seen a game in a while. So last night I was all excited: got myelf all situated on the couch, settled in, and looked forward to some hockey.

Talk about a buzzkill on a number of different levels.

Shooting from the hip I'd be surprised if Jay Bo is back out there again. I would think this would generate a conversation with him and his family if the time has come to hang 'em up. Scary stuff. Hope he has a quality and fulfilling life first and foremost.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

If there is even the remote risk of continued heart problems, I hope JBouw retires. He has nothing left to prove. He's a champion. (and even if he wasn't, life is more important than a game, even one you love)

If he is safe to play, then fine, but take time and be absolutely sure. Life is too short already to risk making it shorter.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

JCShutout wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:13 pm
If there is even the remote risk of continued heart problems, I hope JBouw retires. He has nothing left to prove. He's a champion. (and even if he wasn't, life is more important than a game, even one you love)

If he is safe to play, then fine, but take time and be absolutely sure. Life is too short already to risk making it shorter.
Even if he gets medically clear, and maybe this is just me, but I would have a hard time believing he'll ever play another NHL game again.

This is the kind of stuff that's flat out scary and SHOULD make a reasonable person step back and take a look at their quality of life and weigh the pros/cons of going back.

Makes me think the trade market for the Blues to get another depth piece on defense before the deadline became a high priority. BUT, it's still early. But I can't fathom after this that Jay Bo ever plays another game. I'd be shocked.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I agree, though I’m sure a lot of that depends on a lot of info that will stay private between the team, jbouw and his family and doctors.

After my latest concussion I was told no more taekwondo. My wife claims I bullied the doctor into agreeing to let me train (I say persuaded) with the caveat that he said no sparring ever again. EVER. Any big smack to the head could cause another concussion... but it’s really really difficult to follow that advice when I’m feeling good and training hard. You just want to get back out there and go toe to toe with someone else and test your skill and mettle. I’m only a year or so older than jbouw, so I’m sure it would be very difficult to just retire on the spot. It might be the smart thing, and I hope he (and I) make the smart choice, but I understand how difficult it is when you love your sport and love competition.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think Bouw will make a fantastic coach someday, don’t know why but I really feel like he’ll get into coaching at some level for sure. Right now he has his #1 priority and it’s not getting back on the ice. Rally around a “win for Bouw” and I’m sure Mikkola can pick up the mantle.

This stuff really makes you think though, we think of athletes as “old” when they’re 36 but I’ve reached that point where old athletes are still younger than me. I know a lot of folks here are getting up there as well. Take care of yourselves, if this can happen to a professional in peak condition it can happen to anyone.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024