Defensive Future

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Defensive Future

Post by glen a richter »

I've been thinking about this one a bit with Pie not re-signed yet and Faulk playing pretty poor hockey. What exactly is the long term plan at defense?

Looking at the guys in the organization who should be on the NHL club sooner than later, you're really looking (at the moment) at Niko Mikkola, who should be a natural replacement for Bouw when he hangs up the skates. It seems likely to me that would be at the end of this season. I was also looking at Scott Perunovich who should be NHL ready by the time Gunnarsson is wrapping up his time on the ice. There's other bit pieces here and there, your Reinke's, Walman's, etc... who may or may not take the next step but then I kept winding back to Tyler Tucker. 7th round, #200 overall the kid has far exceeded the expectations of his draft slot and he's also a LHD. He's improved in every aspect of the game every year, is on pace for over 80 points this season, and is an enforcer to boot. A good season or two in the AHL and he could be the biggest steal of his draft year.

All this leads to this: Dunn, Mikkola, Perunovich and Tucker are all LHD, it's unlikely that both Pie and Faulk will both be retained and I'd rather find a way to manage keeping Pie and then just give away Faulk to Seattle when their turn comes up, and Parayko and Bortuzzo also on the right. I don't think the team planned on Tucker developing as well as he has, so if that continues and he cracks the line up in a couple of seasons does that mean Mikkola becomes the odd man out? I'm trying to shake out who the top six are three seasons from now, and who's playing on which side. We're right back to where we were a few years ago when there was defensive depth for days and days, and a lot of that didn't pan out (Schmaltz, Vannelli) or is still pending (Mikkola, Walman), so it could be moot as some guys play themselves out of contention. I really don't see Tucker tailing off though, he's got the skill, the character and the toughness to force the team to make some important decisions soon.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Defensive Future

Post by theohall »

Somebody is going to need to step up to replace both Gunnarson (33) and Bouwmeester (36). Dunn is fine as a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman - which is what the Blues seem to have for LD right now - a bunch of 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman with no true 1st pairing guy. So... someone needs to step up from somewhere - whether that be Mikkola, Tucker, Reinke (which I highly doubt), Walman, Perunovich, etc. Since two guys need to be replaced, at least two guys need to step up. There is an opportunity either late this year, but for sure next season in camp. Bouw and Gunnarson can't do this forever. The problem with all those guys - (I don't know enough about Tucker) - none of them seem to be 1st pairing caliber defenseman. Consider if Parayko were on about 20 other teams in the league right now, he'd be their #1 RD.

The current setup forcing someone to play their offside isn't working out with the only exception being when Parayko and Pietrangelo are paired together. I still remember the analytics article about defenseman playing their off-side and if they weren't ridiculously good on their own side (like Ray Bourque level good), they would likely have a negative impact defensively playing their off-side. This is probably a compliment to Parayko, because he's done damn well when paired with Pietrangelo that way.

The argument I've read about Faulk needing umpty squat games to get used to playing the Blues system doesn't explain the bonehead turnovers he's committing inside the offensive blueline on the PP. He's supposed to be an experienced PP QB, but is playing like a damn rookie (or like Pietrangelo did the first half of last season in that same role).

RD - Yes, the Blues have 4 and Bortuzzo isn't that old. He's a perfect 3rd pairing guy, but doesn't get time, because the Blues want Pietrangelo, Faulk, and Parayko playing, which would normally be rightly so, but maybe Faulk needs to sit and watch a couple of games or something.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I told you Faulk was a total loser.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Faulk really is garbage. Tucker, on the other hand, is the exact type of player Goon would love. We thought Parayko was a steal where they drafted him, Tucker is going to turn out to be an even bigger steal.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

goon attack wrote:I told you Faulk was a total loser.
I haven't been overly impressed, but wouldn't rank him anywhere near "total loser" status.
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I think Faulk will be better, but man, he hasn't been great. Its going to suck when Petro walks and Faulk is the #2RD.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

JCShutout wrote:I think Faulk will be better, but man, he hasn't been great. Its going to suck when Petro walks and Faulk is the #2RD.
This is what I'm saying, find some way... any way to keep Petro then just gift wrap Faulk for Seattle. I think one way or the other, Faulk won't actually be a Blue for the length of his contract and it's going to be flat out awful to lose both d-men and get squat in return.

Most of the good prospects are LHD so that's something to be concerned about, I suppose. Depending on how you value David Noel, he's also a LHD (I think). Maybe it would be a good idea to use their first rounder on a RHD... http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-draf ... elge-Grans

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:
JCShutout wrote:I think Faulk will be better, but man, he hasn't been great. Its going to suck when Petro walks and Faulk is the #2RD.
This is what I'm saying, find some way... any way to keep Petro then just gift wrap Faulk for Seattle. I think one way or the other, Faulk won't actually be a Blue for the length of his contract and it's going to be flat out awful to lose both d-men and get squat in return.

Most of the good prospects are LHD so that's something to be concerned about, I suppose. Depending on how you value David Noel, he's also a LHD (I think). Maybe it would be a good idea to use their first rounder on a RHD... http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-draf ... elge-Grans
Armstrong, and almost all NHL GMS, won't draft for position, but BPA whenever it's a first rounder. The only exception I know of is drafting a goaltender in the 3rd/4th round 2 out of every 3 years so your system always has goalies. Drafting for position has screwed the Blues out of some really good players in the past - like 20+ years ago.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

glen a richter wrote:
No guarantee Seattle would take Faulk unless we send them a pick/prospect to guarantee it. (In which case, the trade is a huge failure, losing Bokk and that pick/prospect) If he continues to have a rough year, and then is about to start an 8 year extension, they might take one of the many solid and cheap forwards instead, or Husso. We'll have to leave a number of good young forwards exposed.

7 forwards to protect: Tank, Schwartz, Schenn, ROR, Thomas are protected I'm sure, which leaves two spots for Kyrou, Klostin, Sunny, Barbie, Sanford, Mac, maybe others. And that assumes Perron is exposed. (I'm sure, at his age, he will be) No matter who we protect, its going to sting losing someone, likely at forward.

Oh, and even on D, if we only protect Parayko, Petro and Dunn, you expose Mikkola and Reinke.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

They won't have to protect Kostin, due to him still being on his ELC. And Reinke, as good as he is at the AHL level, isn't big enough or fast enough to be an effective NHL defenseman.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I thought it was 2 "seasons" in the AHL or NHL. Either way, even if Klostin is (hopefully) exempt and Reinke looks like crap (which doesn't benefit us if he is) at least 5 of the following will be available: Kyrou, Sunny, Barbie, Sanford, Mac, Mikkola, Husso

Depending on how the next 2 years go, and who else is available around the league, I could see a team taking one of those kids. I mean, sure, please take Faulk, but its not a given.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

While the NHL repeatedly said the rules will be the same as Vegas - they tweaked one so players still on ELCs won't have to be protected. This was asked in one of JR's Q&As, specifically about Kostin, and he brought up the tweak.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'm getting really tired of a team or player being "total garbage" after one or two months according to the masses.

Good lord people, calm down. This knee jerk "HE SUCKS EVERYTHING IS AWFUL RAWrARWWR" is just laughable every time I see it. Faulk is a good NHL defenseman. Armstrong could not possibly have forfeited the assets he did if it was his intent to just ship him to Seattle. He's been bad, sure. He also arrived on a team that just won the cup, he's trying to impress, he's trying to fit in. I would argue it's one of if not THE hardest situations for a player to be thrown into. I don't think it's anything more complicated than him gripping the stick too tightly because he wants to do well and impress and he's had a rough transition. That's it!

Franking calm down, he'll be fine. If he's doing the same thing by later in the springtime and we've seen zero improvement all season, then fine. But good God, it's 2 months into the season. As Blues fans we should know pretty darn clearly more than any other fanbase about turning it around...

As far as Pietrangelo this might be a Stamkos situation. I think Pie wants to stay here, I think he wants what Josi got and I think he's going to stay firm on that for the entire year. When June comes one or two things are going to happen: (1) Armstrong caves and gives Pietrangelo the Josi contract (unlikely since we know Armstrong is ok with letting guys walk (Backes, Brouwer, Jackman) even when heartstrings are involved or (2) Stamkos situation, like I said: if he REALLY wants to stay then it'll be on him to take a bit less money (and maybe even term) than he can get on the open market.

I think Yzerman played it perfectly with Stamkos and Armstrong should do the same thing here: Here's your contract offer, it's a fair offer, you'll be set for life, but we're not going to overpay you and go crazy. We'd like to keep you but it's ultimately up to you.

Then... it's up to Pietrangelo.

I strongly believe Armstrong acquired and signed Faulk because he was not encouraged by the early negotiations with Pietrangelo's agent and wanted Edmondson out anyway, so might as well have the insurance policy ready if Pie walks.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Maybe so, but what we're seeing from Faulk is not only very similar to what Cane's fans complained about, but the offense isn't there, to boot.

Maybe the coaches can fix him up, but so far the return isn't very promising. At this point in time, I'd have rather held onto Eddy which would have also carried the additional benefit of making it far likelier than Pie could have been re-signed. That is, of course, unless everyone knew something that they're not airing publicly -- someone has already made management known of his decision to sign with Toronto as a free agent.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

It’s absolutely too early to label Faulk a total bust, but it’s not unreasonable to question if he fits after a third of a season. This isn’t 5 or 6 games, it’s almost 30.

It only matters because faulk’s fit probably influences what we offer petro. Barring a collapse or crazy offer, he’s sticking around through at least next year, so it’s not like I expect the team to shop him.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

theohall wrote:While the NHL repeatedly said the rules will be the same as Vegas - they tweaked one so players still on ELCs won't have to be protected. This was asked in one of JR's Q&As, specifically about Kostin, and he brought up the tweak.
Awesome! Does that mean Thomas and Kyrou are safe? Their ELC ends in 20-21. If we sign them to new contracts, do those contracts only take effect July 2021, after the June 2021 draft?

That would be huge. ROR, Tank, Schwartz, Schenn, and 3 of Sunny, Barbie, Blais, Sanford, Mac would be safe, along with the important forward kids.

That makes it more likely IMO that Seattle might take a Dman, Husso or Perron.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

No, Thomas and Kyrou are not safe, because their contracts expire at the end of the 20-21 season and the expansion draft is in the summer of 2021. They will either be RFAs or under a new contract. RFAs aren't a protected class unless they haven't played enough pro games. Both Thomas and Kyrou will have played too many games.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Damn. That changes a lot. If only the draft was this Summer.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I'm getting really tired of a team or player being "total garbage" after one or two months according to the masses.

Good lord people, calm down. This knee jerk "HE SUCKS EVERYTHING IS AWFUL RAWrARWWR" is just laughable every time I see it.
Boy are you emotional. :shock:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I've seen some rumblings, which I'm taking with a huge grain of salt because it's not the first time I've seen rumblings like this, that Toronto made an offer for Pietrangelo.

In a hypothetical scenario, as we get closer to the trade deadline if Army feels like he obviously won't be re-signing Pie (which I think will be the case, that he ends up on Toronto next season anyway) and someone down in San Antonio proves to be ready to come up, would you support trading him to avoid losing him for nothing, particularly and specifically trading the captain that close to beginning the Cup defense?