Blues defensive future

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Blues defensive future

Post by theohall »

(Continuing from the Schenn thread since this is a different topic)

Mikkola is the natural replacement for Bouwmeester. Of course, with all of the LD prospects - Tucker, Perunovich, and Mikkola (and maybe Walman) - there should be a competition for that role in camp next season. Tucker and Mikkola both have the size and physicality aspects. Perunovich is the smaller, offensive defenseman who relies on skating and good positioning when defending. Walman was supposed to be both, but just hasn't developed as expected largely due to playing different systems on different teams 3 seasons in a row. We'll see what happens with Walman playing for the same coach in the same system for a 2nd straight season.

Were Pietrangelo to leave (hope it doesn't, but anything over 9 AAV and anything over 6 years is too much, IMO), it does open the door for Reinke more than anyone else being one of the few right-handed defensive prospects left. The only thing about Reinke - he was repeatedly victimized this preseason by the same things which were an issue at the Traverse City tournament before last season - lack of reach (other guys outreached him for pucks which led to goals against), lack of size (he got knocked out of the way in one-on-ones losing the puck resulting in goals against), and lack of footspeed (he flat out got beat up the ice twice that I saw resulting in goals against). There is probably the reason Reinke was sent down after the 4th preseason game. He simply wasn't cutting it against NHL competition. IMO, this was a big reason they signed Faulk. There isn't any right-handed defensive depth in the system. Yes, it's insurance if Pietrangelo does go elsewhere next season, but it's also injury insurance for this season. No, I don't count Dotchin as a legitimate depth guy.

FYI - San Antonio has 8 D - Reinke and Dotchin are the only righties. The others are Walman, Mikkola, Pouliot, Rob O'Gara, Joey LaLeggia, and Andreas Borgman. LaLeggia sometimes moves up to LW.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Blues defensive future

Post by JCShutout »

I'm listening to 101espn at work at Rivers just said that "a little birdie" told him that there could be a Petro extension announced before the game tonight. MAYBE. Said its being worked on.

So, grain of salt and all that, but, there is some smoke. 6/48 please!
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

JCShutout wrote:6/48 please!
This would be perfect!! :letsgoblues: :plusplus:

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

theohall wrote:
I agree, which probably means it ends up being 6/52 or 8/64 or something.

EDIT: Well, no mention as of yet. Sorry to get folks hopes up. Maybe soon.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

JCShutout wrote:
theohall wrote:
I agree, which probably means it ends up being 6/52 or 8/64 or something.

EDIT: Well, no mention as of yet. Sorry to get folks hopes up. Maybe soon.
It's alright - I like it! Let's goooooo.
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

As written in the OP, my concern is Armstrong doesn't want to end up with a contract that would put the Blues over the cap next season without knowing how much the cap will actually increase. IMO, If Pietrangelo is asking for 8M AAV, which is within reason, there won't be an extension signed before knowing how much the cap actually increases. The reason for this is it handcuffs Armstrong with the remaining RFAs not knowing how much is left to sign Dunn, MacEachern, Blais, and Fabbri. If Blais keeps doing what he's doing, he will need to be paid also.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:As written in the OP, my concern is Armstrong doesn't want to end up with a contract that would put the Blues over the cap next season without knowing how much the cap will actually increase. IMO, If Pietrangelo is asking for 8M AAV, which is within reason, there won't be an extension signed before knowing how much the cap actually increases. The reason for this is it handcuffs Armstrong with the remaining RFAs not knowing how much is left to sign Dunn, MacEachern, Blais, and Fabbri. If Blais keeps doing what he's doing, he will need to be paid also.
I know Army hates, HATES buyouts (to his credit) but if Bozak and Steen were bought out after this year it'll be $2.8 and $2.3 freed up for a total of $5.1 more cap space. Armstrong has total control over that. So, even if you ignore the possibility of a trade (which I think he would far sooner try to do than to do buyouts) he STILL has reasonable wiggle room, on something he has total control over, to make it work.

I don't frankly think he's that concerned, it's just a matter of getting the right term and AAV. If Armstrong gets that I think he pulls the trigger and "figures the rest out" later.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
theohall wrote:As written in the OP, my concern is Armstrong doesn't want to end up with a contract that would put the Blues over the cap next season without knowing how much the cap will actually increase. IMO, If Pietrangelo is asking for 8M AAV, which is within reason, there won't be an extension signed before knowing how much the cap actually increases. The reason for this is it handcuffs Armstrong with the remaining RFAs not knowing how much is left to sign Dunn, MacEachern, Blais, and Fabbri. If Blais keeps doing what he's doing, he will need to be paid also.
I know Army hates, HATES buyouts (to his credit) but if Bozak and Steen were bought out after this year it'll be $2.8 and $2.3 freed up for a total of $5.1 more cap space. Armstrong has total control over that. So, even if you ignore the possibility of a trade (which I think he would far sooner try to do than to do buyouts) he STILL has reasonable wiggle room, on something he has total control over, to make it work.

I don't frankly think he's that concerned, it's just a matter of getting the right term and AAV. If Armstrong gets that I think he pulls the trigger and "figures the rest out" later.
I thought it was a 1/3 cap hit over 2x the bought out years. Its doable depending on term and aav and all that, but after this Summer we have Binner, Thomas, Barbashev, Sanford, and Schwartz up for raises. Parayko the year after. Some of those players might be let go or only get small raises, but a buyout this Summer leaves us with 2 years of a little under $3.6m cap hit. DA has to run some numbers and decide if it worth a buyout this Summer to risk some lost cap space in a year with 5 guys potentially getting raises. As Theo said, it all probably comes down to how much the cap raises.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Easiest way to see buyout implications: Use the CapFriendly buyout calculator

I haven't looked at the Steen/Bozak buyout things. The only guy I see being bought out is Steen, because he refuses to be traded. Bozak doesn't have that option due to his limited NTC. That limited NTC thing has become a standard for Armstrong in contracts from Jul 1 2018 to now, probably because of Steen. Even Tarasenko didn't have a full NTC until this season.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Steen, in his new life as a 4th liner, is exemplary in that role. But... he costs way too much for a 4th liner so it would be in the best interest of the team to get his contract off the books any way they can. I trust Chief to plug someone into Steener's spot and be able to put together an equally good, if not better 4th line than the one they have now.

I've said for years, and felt a lot of satisfaction in it coming to fruition, that the biggest thing missing from the team was a good 4th line and when one was finally put together they go ahead and just win the whole thing.

Minus Steen and minus Bouwmeester, and hopefully minus Allen and there's a bunch of money freed up, especially if your replacements are Kostin, Mikkola and Husso. And I do get the whole "They won't be on ELC forever" but they won't be making Steen, Bouwmeester and Allen money right away either, so it's doable if the right guys don't come back. I kind of feel like Bouw might transition into a coaching role when he does retire, so maybe he'll stay in the organization and work with the kids in San Antonio.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Toropchenko is the Steen replacement.
Mikkola is the Bouwmeester replacement.
Thomas should replace Bozak if he can freaking stay healthy.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JCShutout wrote:I'm listening to 101espn at work at Rivers just said that "a little birdie" told him that there could be a Petro extension announced before the game tonight. MAYBE. Said its being worked on.

So, grain of salt and all that, but, there is some smoke. 6/48 please!
Rivers also tweeted that as well.
And a Toronto media member showed that to Petro in the locker room, and Petro looked at it and was like..."I don't know where that came from. That's not happening."
In other words...Rivers was full of shit. No smoke. He later backtracked on Twitter and said it was just a personal feeling he had. He had no source or inside info of any pending deal. So yeah...thanks for that useless comment Jamie. :?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/