Other Playoff Series Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Other Playoff Series Thread

Post by Portland Blues »

Halfway through 2nd OT. No idea how this one will end.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Carolina wins.

Here we go with round 2!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Holy crap, this has been a wild first round. Caps out, Pens out, Lightning out. Nashville, Winnipeg, Calgary out.

My bracket is absolutely hosed. :wink:

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Here's my thoughts on the Eakin call:

Don't call a 5-minute major in a deciding game, if there's any inkling of doubt there. Then what you risk is (questionable) officiating deciding the outcome of the game, which, in this case, it did.

If it were game 2 or 3, that's fine. That gives Vegas the opportunity to learn from their mistake, and bounce back next game. But not in a deciding game. Give a double minor at best.

WITH THAT SAID, however, the fact that the Sharks scored 4 goals on a power play and overcame a 0-3 deficit MAKES UP for the "bad" call. If Vegas were only up by 1 goal, and this call was made, and the Sharks bounced back, that's a different story, and Vegas would have much grounds to complain (although if Vegas were leading only by 1, that call would have never been made anyway).

If we agree it was a bad call, the fact that the Vegas PK allowed 4 goals evens itself out. A bad call may give other team a undeserved goal - but it's not going to give them 4. So, it's still Vegas's fault and loss here. When you allow the other team to score 4 goals on you, you embarrass yourself when you blame that on a bad call, as at that point it all but evens itself out.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Here's my thoughts on the Eakin call:

Don't call a 5-minute major in a deciding game, if there's any inkling of doubt there. Then what you risk is (questionable) officiating deciding the outcome of the game, which, in this case, it did.

If it were game 2 or 3, that's fine. That gives Vegas the opportunity to learn from their mistake, and bounce back next game. But not in a deciding game. Give a double minor at best.

WITH THAT SAID, however, the fact that the Sharks scored 4 goals on a power play and overcame a 0-3 deficit MAKES UP for the "bad" call. If Vegas were only up by 1 goal, and this call was made, and the Sharks bounced back, that's a different story, and Vegas would have much grounds to complain (although if Vegas were leading only by 1, that call would have never been made anyway).

If we agree it was a bad call, the fact that the Vegas PK allowed 4 goals evens itself out. A bad call may give other team a undeserved goal - but it's not going to give them 4. So, it's still Vegas's fault and loss here. When you allow the other team to score 4 goals on you, you embarrass yourself when you blame that on a bad call, as at that point it all but evens itself out.
Mostly agree. I don't know how on earth you call that a 5 minute major, maybe even in the regular season, much less game 7 in that situation. I think it was a horrific call and I'm usually not one complain about the officiating. A minor penalty or even double minor like you said would've been fine.

But you're also right: kill a fakkin penalty! That's pathetic they gave up 4 goals. If anything after a bad call you get energized to go kill it off, not get pummeled. Bad.

This is probably best for another thread but Vegas has serious salary cap issues now. Even if they apply the LTIR overage they're STILL in trouble. Not sure how they're going to navigate this one.

First round has been insane. Nobody could've predicted all this.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Canes are really taking advantage of the fact that the Islanders are more of a defensive team than anything else. They can't get anything going so far, and at this point you can't blame it on the long layoff because of the sweep. Carolina is in complete control of that series even though the offense has been painfully non-existent on both sides. Got me to thinking, and I'm too lazy to do the research... how many times has a team swept a playoff series only to be swept in the next one?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Can't answer that last question, but 5 of the last 6 teams which won a game 7 while their opponent was "resting" also won their next round in the playoffs.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:Can't answer that last question, but 5 of the last 6 teams which won a game 7 while their opponent was "resting" also won their next round in the playoffs.
The old "rest v rust."

Islanders are playing fine, they just need to score! One goal in two games is not going to get it done. They're doing fine limiting Carolina just not generating anything of their own.

I also don't have the statistics to back this up but I feel like at some point these 7 game series catch up to you. Maybe the conference finals, maybe the Cup finals, but at some point your legs and body just start to wear down. I'll take the rest any time. It's also not like you have much of a "choice." What's the alternative? "Hey guys I know we're up 3 games to 0 but let's tank this one so we stay sharp. At least get it to a game 5"? If you're cruising you're cruising. Take the sweep and deal with the consequences vs. not winning the series at all.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

One of my AP's is a big Caps fan, haven't seen him until tonight and he's in complete disgust at losing to Carolina. I have a feeling there's going to be a couple more fanbases in complete disgust in short order. That team is playing very well and they have Don Cherry to thank for his "bunch of jerks" jab that just solidified their locker room. If they win the Cup they need to etch his name on it as a factor in their success.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Columbus up 2-1 on Bruins and haven't lost a home game. Yet a ton of experts seem to think Boston and San Jose will be in the Finals. Methinks these experts are wrong.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

theohall wrote:Columbus up 2-1 on Bruins and haven't lost a home game. Yet a ton of experts seem to think Boston and San Jose will be in the Finals. Methinks these experts are wrong.
This was the first Jackets game I watched and was surprised by how good they looked. :shock:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:Columbus up 2-1 on Bruins and haven't lost a home game. Yet a ton of experts seem to think Boston and San Jose will be in the Finals. Methinks these experts are wrong.
And also 60% of those experts had the Lightning winning it all... so there's that.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Pretty surprising to see the Islanders go 0-3 against Carolina. :shock:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Portland Blues wrote:Pretty surprising to see the Islanders go 0-3 against Carolina. :shock:
They're just rolling. I think beating Washington just pumped them full of confidence and energy. They know they can beat anyone now. It's gone from "let's see what happens!" to "We can win this thing!"

It'll be a stunning story if a team that hasn't been in the playoffs in a decade runs to the Cup Finals. It'll already be a stunning story for them to make it to the conference finals. Today's NHL man... so much parody, any team can beat any other. You just have to get in to the playoffs and anything can happen.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Years of Bill Peters failing to even get Carolina in the playoffs. They change GMs - which was an interesting story with the drama around that. Brind'Amour, one of his assistants takes over. They pick up goalies who haven't really been #1s, were clear backups, or were okish #1s, but not star goalies - and are getting outstanding goaltending from Mrazek and now McIlhenny. (Laughing at the Leafs about that 2nd one). Good for Mrazek, too. Kinda shows how far Detroit had really fallen with Mrazek playing well with a good young defense in front of him in Carolina compared to what Detroit was icing.

One thing Carolina has had is an up and coming young defensive corps, which is why they kept getting picked in the preseason to be the new "surprise" playoff team. Peters just couldn't get the offense out of them - or just enough of it - the way Brind'Amour has. Of course, re-acquiring Mr. Game 7, IMO, has had a huge impact on that and how the Hurricanes have carried themselves in the playoffs.

Carolina-Columbus should be a very entertaining Eastern Conference Final for those who like watching hockey and not the BS certain players (Marchand) bring to the game. And, no, I didn't have that as my ECF even in the 2nd chance bracket, but it looks like the likely outcome.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

F%ck Patrick Sharp talking about what a great player David Backes is on the postgame show.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Everything is a best of 3 now except for Carolina. Should be a fun end to round 2... hopefully we're on the happy end of that fun end, but who knows with these guys?

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Portland Blues wrote:F%ck Patrick Sharp talking about what a great player David Backes is on the postgame show.

:lol:
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:Everything is a best of 3 now except for Carolina. Should be a fun end to round 2... hopefully we're on the happy end of that fun end, but who knows with these guys?
I'll be very disappointed if the Blues don't find a way to get to the conference finals. That being said, if they don't, I will still be massively proud of this team and what they accomplished this year. One of the greatest runs in all of NHL history, the emergence of (hopefully) a stud new starting goaltender, the guys finally meshing on this team and a decent postseason run which included ousting one of the best "on paper" teams in the league.

It's clear though the window to win is now for the Blues. This postseason and the next 3-4 years. All our major forwards and D are in their prime and after about 4 years or so it'll be declining. I hope this is the year and we don't have to worry about a Cupless franchise anymore :goblues: :letsgoblues: but we'll see!!

Considering how it started it's been a great year and I'm excited.

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

4-1 Carolina in the third. Looks like the Islanders have given up. Series over.
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015