GDT Game 45: 1/15/19 | 6:00 PM CT | @ Isles | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 45: 1/15/19 | 6:00 PM CT | @ Isles | FSMW/KMOX

Post by theohall »

On Sunday night, the New York Islanders authored a signature win over this season's Stanley Cup favorites. On Monday night, the St. Louis Blues made a statement of their own with a resounding win over last season's Stanley Cup champions.

On Tuesday night, the two teams will look to continue building on their recent momentum when the Islanders face the Blues in New York.

The Islanders earned one of the most surprising wins of the season Sunday when they routed the NHL-leading Tampa Bay Lightning 5-1 at Barclays Center. The Blues notched their own stunner Monday night, beating the host Washington Capitals 4-1.

By handing the Lightning only their third loss in the past 21 games -- and only their second loss of the season by more than three goals -- the Islanders continued to cement themselves as a legitimate playoff contender.

New York, which missed the postseason by 17 points last season and then saw captain John Tavares leave for the Toronto Maple Leafs as a free agent, will enter Tuesday 11-3-0 in its past 14 games and in sole possession of the second Eastern Conference wild-card spot.

"I think there's certain games, or certain times, during the year where you get an opponent that makes you believe or cements what you're trying to do as a team," Islanders coach Barry Trotz said Sunday night. "And it sort of galvanizes you, or it gives you a more solid foundation."

The Blues have strengthened their once-flickering playoff hopes by winning a season-high three consecutive games -- all over teams currently occupying a playoff spot -- and five of their past seven overall. The current streak was bookended by three-goal wins over the Capitals, whom Trotz coached to the Stanley Cup crown last season before resigning when he and the team could not come to terms on a new contract.

"They're gaining confidence game-to-game here," Blues coach Craig Berube said Monday night. "They feel good about each other and they're working for each other, and that's the key: playing for each other and doing the right things and putting the team first."

Islanders No. 1 goalie Robin Lehner is likely to draw the start Tuesday against the Blues, who probably will turn to hot rookie Jordan Binnington on the second game of a back-to-back set after Jake Allen earned the win Monday by making 28 saves against the Capitals.

Lehner, who sat Sunday in favor of Thomas Greiss, had his eight-decision winning streak snapped Saturday, when he took the loss after stopping 24 of 26 shots as the Islanders fell to the New York Rangers, 2-1.

Binnington has wasted little time in threatening the starting status of Allen, who opened 14 straight games in net for the Blues before Binnington made his first career start Jan. 7 and recorded a shutout in a 3-0 win over the Philadelphia Flyers. He was only the second St. Louis goalie to notch a shutout in his first NHL start.

The win over the Flyers was the first of three victories in as many starts last week for Binnington, who allowed just two goals on 76 shots -- including one goal on 22 shots in his most recent appearance Saturday, when he led the Blues past the Dallas Stars, 3-1. Binnington was selected the NHL's second star of the week on Monday.

Lehner is 5-3-1 in nine career appearances against the Blues. Binnington has never faced the Islanders.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT Game 45: 1/15/19 | 6:00 PM CT | @ Isles | FSMW/KMOX

Post by theohall »

How fortunate for the Islanders. Drawing Tampa on Sunday when Tampa had played Saturday. Then drawing the Blues on Tuesday after the Blues played Monday. And even though the Isles played Saturday, all 3 games have been at home. So no travel for them while drawing traveling teams playing the back end of back-to-backs.

Anyway, what that article doesn't say about the Isles-Lightning game. The Islanders scored 3 goals in the first four minutes, then got out-played for the remaining 56 while Greiss stole a win. Stamkos wound up with 10+ shot attempt and his 5 that hit the net were high quality chances Greiss made ridiculous saves on. The one thing the Islanders did well was take away Kucherov, so don't expect much from Tarasenko in this one.

And the Blues had better be ready to start this game or they will be in a hole in a hurry.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I forgot there was a game tonight, which I guess clarifies why Allen started last night. Fortunately that one worked out. Let's make it 4 in a row, since that draft pick is slipping away anyway. May as well be entertained the rest of the year, especially with the team playing much better.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Can they make it 4? I don't know. My inclination is to say no, but then again I thought they would lose to Washington.

The boys are definitely trying to make things interesting. Even if they keep up the solid play, I think there are still some trades that could be made without affecting the team. Like what was mentioned above, the team doesn't seem to miss Steen and Bozak at all. They could be decent pieces to move at the deadline, not to mention Allen, and pending UFAs like Bouwmeester. That leaves the vast majority of the current roster (the ones currently playing and winning) intact.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Unfortunately, Steen has a full no trade and has supposedly nixed a trade in the past.

Bozak has a 10 team no trade list and his 5M cap hit would make him difficult to move without throwing in a quality prospect to get the team to agree to eat the over-priced contract.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

theohall wrote:Unfortunately, Steen has a full no trade and has supposedly nixed a trade in the past.

Bozak has a 10 team no trade list and his 5M cap hit would make him difficult to move without throwing in a quality prospect to get the team to agree to eat the over-priced contract.
First I heard of him nixing a trade, when was this? I'd rather see Steen go than Bozak.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Let down game alert! Hope it doesn't happen and the boys slept well last night (they should've!) but this one makes me nervous.

Blues 2
Isles 3
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

tjk002 wrote:
theohall wrote:Unfortunately, Steen has a full no trade and has supposedly nixed a trade in the past.

First I heard of him nixing a trade, when was this? I'd rather see Steen go than Bozak.
I don't know when it was, but it was a rumor rolling around in November. Some think it was last season before Stastny was traded. Some think it was this season. I have no idea, really.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

PROJECTED LINEUP

Forwards
Sanford - O'Reilly - Perron
Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Fabbri - Sundqvist - Maroon
MacEachern - Barbashev - Kyrou

Defense
Edmundson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo

Goalie
Binnington

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I never expected in a million years that MacEachern would be getting NHL time this year. Sounds like he's been a real hard worker and earned the call up. Maybe he can be part of a nice revamped 4th line moving forward. I know when I saw him in the lineup the other day I couldn't believe he was actually with the team.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Can The Blues beat this hot team (9 of last 11) in their own barn? Can Binnington stay undefeated? Stay tuned!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

All in all that could have been worse, I suppose.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Nice save by Binnington! Nice also to see Sundqvist back on the ice. The Blues looked a bit tired. That's a bad sign, given that they played last night and have 2 periods to go.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Good kill by The Blues, and now they are on the power play!!! Let's tie it up!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The Blues get another power play! Let's tie it up!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The Blues played very well in The 2nd, getting a lot of chances. But, unfortunately, they didn't do what it takes to score. On the power play, thew man with the puck was skating around, but no one else was, - so they didn't get the defencemen to move out, and they didn't set screens, and they didn't have someone driving to the net to receive a pass, and had no one to knock in rebounds.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Perron ties it up on a nice feed by O'Reilly from behind the net!!! Blues have life, after getting lucky with the puck rolling on an Islander's partial breakaway!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

This looks alot like the Islanders game from Sunday with the Isles being outplayed from the start of the 2nd period on only the Blues gave up a single goal in the 1st, instead of 3.

Good to see them fight back after the "tired legs" first period.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

BIG, BIG, BIG penalty kill needed now.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

that was the most pathetic over time effort I think I've ever seen. Seemed like ROR, Tank, and Dunn weren't on the same page. Turned the puck over with one of those stupid blind drop passes and then couldn't get a change.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk