Blues acquire Soshnikov

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Blues acquire Soshnikov

Post by gaijin »

Blues acquire Nikita Soshnikov from Toronto for a 4th round pick in 2019.

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/blues-ac ... -296004004

:cup:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Blues acquire Soshnikov

Post by cardsfan04 »

What am I missing here? Not that I care much about a 4th round pick, but I'm missing the logic on this one. He has 14 career points, is on IR, doesn't have a US visa, and (as far as I can tell) is only under contract through this season.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Depth move because someone from San Antonio is coming up on a more permanent basis and they need someone to replace the roster spot down there?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Soshnikov was recalled from a "conditioning stint" Feb 12 where he scored 2 goals and 3 assists in 5 games. When he was recalled, the Leafs kept him on IR due to roster spot limitations. There is a loophole in the CBA where team doctors are required to say a player is ready to return, but the CBA doesn't state "when" the doctors have to give the OK.

Depth move for San Antonio, IMO. Doesn't fit into the Blues roster since he is yet another left-handed shot, 3rd/4th line type player. The last type of forward the Blues need.

Hockey's Future Report
Talent Analysis
Soshnikov is an undersized, but highly-skilled forward who can dart in and out of plays quickly. He likes to go to the net and is consistently looking for ways to create scoring chances. He is not overly physical and will sometimes be overmatched in one-on-one battles due to his lack of bulk. He is a high-energy forward.

Future
Soshnikov made a smooth transition from Russia to North America in 2015-16, skating in 11 games with the Maple Leafs and playing a strong two-way game for the AHL's Toronto Marlies. An undersized but highly-skilled forward, he will push for a spot in training camp but may start the 2016-17 season in the AHL. Soshnikov is not a pure scorer but projects as the type of smaller, skilled forward that can be effective in all three zones.
In other words, exactly the type of player Yeo won't play.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Yea I'm missing the logic on this one too. Clearly a depth move and only a 4th round pick but... why? Meh.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It appears Soshnikov will be in the lineup tomorrow... I guess we'll see what we'll see. Maybe he'll flourish playing with Berglund and Steen though my money isn't on that.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Soshnikov activated, Thompson and Schmaltz recalled. Blais and Butler sent down.

Smells like desperation.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Soshnikov 70 NHL games. 7 G 7A. Not much of an answer to a lack of scoring.

Sundqvist is who needs to be sent down. Instead, the Blues will just keep moving the same players back and forth, vice moving the guys down/scratching those who aren't producing.

We'll see if Schmaltz has pulled his head out of his butt and learned how to compete at the NHL level. I still have my doubts.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season