GDT Game 57: 2/9/18 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Jets | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 57: 2/9/18 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Jets | FSMW/KMOX

Post by theohall »

WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- Mark Scheifele is glad the Winnipeg Jets have a lot of depth but he'd much prefer to be playing.

After six long weeks, the 24-year-old will finally get his wish Friday night at Bell MTS Place when the Jets host the St. Louis Blues. It will be his first time in the lineup since injuring his shoulder against the Edmonton Oilers on Dec. 27.

On his flanks will be wingers Blake Wheeler -- who filled in at center on the top line in his absence -- and sniper Patrik Laine.

"It was awesome to be back and get in some game-like reps," Scheifele told The Winnipeg Free Press. "Obviously, being with Wheels feels really good. You can practice as much as you want, but nothing's like a real game."

Scheifele had 38 points, including 15 goals, in 38 games prior to falling awkwardly into the boards against the Oilers.

When told his charges were 11-2-3 in Scheifele's absence, coach Paul Maurice quipped in his Thursday media briefing, "Yep, we're trading him."

While the Jets are happy to welcome back their No. 1 center, the beds are quickly filling up in sick bay.

Goaltender Michael Hutchinson was diagnosed with a concussion Wednesday after taking a deflected shot in the mask during Tuesday's game-day skate. He joins fellow goalie Steve Mason, who is also out with a concussion, as well as forwards Matt Hendricks, Adam Lowry, Brandon Tanev and Shawn Matthias, and defenseman Jacob Trouba. Eric Comrie has been recalled from the Manitoba Moose to back up Connor Hellebuyck in the Jets net.

The Blues come to town on the heels of a 6-1 vicotry at home over the Colorado Avalanche on Thursday night. Centre Brayden Schenn set the tone by fighting Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog right off the opening face-off.

"I thought we'd been a little bit flat at home lately," Schenn told a media scrum afterwards. "You can try and start different ways, try to be physical early or offensive early. I don't do it often but it's part of the game and it's good to get one every once in a while."

Despite going 7-3-0 in their last 10 games, the Blues have failed to gain a point on the Jets and remain in third place in the Central Division with 69 points in 56 games. The Jets have 73 points in 54 games and are tied for first with Nashville, which has two games in hand.

The Blues' challenge will be to knock off the NHL's best home team as the Jets are 20-3-2 at Bell MTS Place and have gone nearly two months since their last regulation loss there. Two of those losses were in October.

In addition to bumping Wheeler back to his usual spot on right wing, Scheifele's return will trigger at least one more change to Maurice's lineup card. Rookie Jack Roslovic was dropped from the top line down to the fourth in practice Thursday, where he skated with Nic Petan and Marko Dano, a trio that could easily be the fastest and most skilled fourth line in the NHL.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT Game 57: 2/9/18 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Jets | FSMW/KMOX

Post by glen a richter »

"I thought we'd been a little flat..."? Gee whiz, ya think?

I just hope that between now and the deadline they don't magically go on a tear that encourages Army to start trading prospects for overpaid rentals (regardless of what he already said about his stance on rentals this year). Either win a whole bunch of games 6-1 so he thinks the roster is good as is, or lose a whole bunch of games 6-1 so he's more inclined to trade bad contracts for picks. Suffice to say I'm a bit worried that after the dust settles on deadline day, we're looking at Rick Nash in a Blues sweater and Robert Thomas on Broadway.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Oh great. Scheifele's back for the Jets.

This game is going to be orders of magnitude more difficult than the Colorado game- the second of back-to-back games, on the road against a Winnipeg team that has a fantastic home record.

Since Hutton was in last night, I'm assuming we see Jake tonight.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:"I thought we'd been a little flat..."? Gee whiz, ya think?

I just hope that between now and the deadline they don't magically go on a tear that encourages Army to start trading prospects for overpaid rentals (regardless of what he already said about his stance on rentals this year). Either win a whole bunch of games 6-1 so he thinks the roster is good as is, or lose a whole bunch of games 6-1 so he's more inclined to trade bad contracts for picks. Suffice to say I'm a bit worried that after the dust settles on deadline day, we're looking at Rick Nash in a Blues sweater and Robert Thomas on Broadway.
I hope they don't do that either, and don't think they will. I'm a little interested in Nash, but not at the expense of Thomas, Kostin, Kyrou, or Husso. I don't think he would cost that much though, but GMs go crazy sometimes.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Edmundson out 6 weeks with surgery on a broken forearm.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:Edmundson out 6 weeks with surgery on a broken forearm.
Boo to that.

Not only does it suck that we are without Edmundson for 6 weeks, but this also makes it less likely we ship off any overpaid defensemen (who shall remain nameless) at the trade deadline.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Edmundson out 6 weeks with surgery on a broken forearm.
Boo to that.

Not only does it suck that we are without Edmundson for 6 weeks, but this also makes it less likely we ship off any overpaid defensemen (who shall remain nameless) at the trade deadline.
Which is sad, because Jake Walman is basically ready to move up.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Not a well-played power play for The Blues. Not happy. :cussing:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The Blues had a good 2nd half of The 1st Period. They had some decent chances.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Barbashev right in front with a beautiful feed, and lots of net, but a great reflex save made. But Berglund deflects one in seconds later!!! Blues lead 2-0!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Now Steen buries a deflected feed by Pietrangelo!!! Blues lead 3-0!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

And now The Blues go on the power play! Let's blow this game open!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

I was just ready to say what a great 2nd Period The Blues were having with a 3-0 lead with 2 minutes left, when they give up the puck in their own end, and a goal, and then take a penalty just after. Bah! Humbug!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

I was just ready to say what a great 2nd Period The Blues were having with a 3-0 lead with 2 minutes left, when they give up the puck in their own end, and a goal, and then take a penalty just after. Bah! Humbug!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

But, The Blues bounce back with a great PK. So, a 3-1 period, on the road against the division leader is still good.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Robb_K wrote:But, The Blues bounce back with a great PK. So, a 3-1 period, on the road against the division leader is still good.
They look great. They are making passes and skating fast. I don't know what happened, but they look way different, great execution, and are controlling much of the play.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

We need to see the Blues play this way vs Nashville.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Great save by Allen, preserving the 2-goal lead! And another, on a blast by Little!