Lead-up to the trade deadline thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Lead-up to the trade deadline thread

Post by glen a richter »

Less than a month out, I saw some rumblings that Ottawa is kicking the tires on Fabbri... maybe we could land either Hoffman or Stone.

Also saw in the local media that the Rags are planning a fire sale. I wouldn't be against Armstrong kicking some tires himself, if Zuccarello and/or Chris Kreider is made available.

All signs are pointing to a move being made for a top 6 forward, though I'd rather not see someone like Robert Thomas or Jordan Kyrou going the other way. I'd have no problem trading Fragile... I mean Fabbri, Schmaltz, maybe Kostin, if it landed us a bonafide top 6.

Also, just saw on the Twitter though it appears to have been two days ago, Paajarvi is no longer a Blue, as he was picked up on waivers by Ottawa.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Lead-up to the trade deadline thread

Post by theohall »

Good luck moving Schmaltz for anything. He just isn't cutting it at the NHL level. Any GM worth his salt will know this. Of course, I wouldn't call Ottawa's current GM worth any salt, although lots of that has to do with the owner, who keeps denying things about "saving money" when everyone knows that's why Turris was traded.

I wouldn't move Kryou, Kostin, or Thomas.

This year's team doesn't have the depth, IMO, to make a serious Cup run and Armstrong is on record as not trading for a "rental" player. Stay the course, see where this season goes, and keep all those top end prospects who could very well put this team in to true serious contention. Be more like Steve Yzerman and be patient this season to set up for next season.

I don't want to see a Blues deadline deal unless it's moving dead weight to make room for younger talent. Don't trade any of the top prospects - and Schmaltz is no longer a top prospect. He's played himself, at the NHL level, out of that category.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Blues situation right now is the NHL version of what I was telling my friends who are Yankee fans. They were trading far too many prospects to make a run in a season they had little chance of winning the World Series, and though they came close, close isn't good enough. So now they have a few extra vets and a lot fewer prospects they could have used later on.

I don't want Armstrong to make a move for a rental, but if he can secure a guy who has some contract left and serves a purpose on the team moving forward, I'm fine with that. I'll reiterate what Theo said... not trading Thomas or Kyrou, and Kostin I wouldn't necessarily want to trade but I guess you have to give something to get something. If the trade was for John Tavares and he was willing to sign a 7 year deal, I'd listen to any request Garth Snow made.

I've just heard a lot about Ottawa, I know we're scouting them, and I've heard rumblings of them monitoring Fabbri's injury situation so I'm inclined to believe that a move might happen there.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I wouldn't do anything, honestly.

Year after year the price for these rental players is exorbitant and I challenge anyone on this board to give me the name of a trade deadline pick up that proved crucial to a team winning the cup in the year they did it.

Hurricanes with Weight? Maybe?

We already don't have a first round pick this year. I see no reason we should forfeit any more picks or recent draft assets for a rental. Let someone else over pay. No thanks. Maybe some tweaks for depth but that's it.

The ONLY exception I would consider is if Armstrong seriously would want to re-sign whoever it is we would pick up. But, again, that assumes the trade works out which is far from a sure thing (*cough* Ryan Miller *cough*).

I'm frankly shocked about the Rangers. I know we keep saying year after year "Okay, THIS is the last shot for them" but really this year is about the end of the line. I had thought the firesale would happen next season. I guess it makes sense if you're sitting there as GM and in your heart of hearts really don't think this is going to happen to with this group, and it would also explain the trade with the Coyotes last summer, but I guess I figured they'd take one more run at this thing.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:... If the trade was for John Tavares and he was willing to sign a 7 year deal, I'd listen to any request Garth Snow made.

I've just heard a lot about Ottawa, I know we're scouting them, and I've heard rumblings of them monitoring Fabbri's injury situation so I'm inclined to believe that a move might happen there.
I don't think there's any way Tavares gets traded. He would have to literally walk into Snow's office and tell him flat out he's leaving via UFA in the summer for that to happen. There's been nothing in the media or interviews to think that's going to happen.

I'm surprised from your guys' comments on there being interest in Fabbri. It's a buy low asset at the moment so I guess I get it but I feel the guy is still a part of our future. This re-injury was bizarre and rare.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm torn on how to approach it. I guess it would be like this.

High cost players need to be more than rentals. I'm not giving up the world for 2 months of John Tavares. But, I might give up the world for 8 years of John Tavares. I'm not sure how realistic it is, but that would be a requirement for me.

Medium cost players need to be reasonably cheap. I might go for a 2nd line forward instead of John Tavares, but the price would need to be good, especially if Allen hasn't shown back up in net yet.

Low cost, no thanks. We've got prospects to give a chance to for free.

Oh, and no to Carey Price. Just no way I want to trade for him under any realistic circumstance.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

WaukeeBlues wrote: I don't think there's any way Tavares gets traded. He would have to literally walk into Snow's office and tell him flat out he's leaving via UFA in the summer for that to happen. There's been nothing in the media or interviews to think that's going to happen.
For what it's worth, the Islanders will be playing half their home games at Nassau Coliseum and half at Barclay's while they get the Belmont project done. I heard 3 years, but Nassau politics being what it is, 3 years could be 30. Who knows if Tavares wants to wait that long? I think he's gone as a FA for sure.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Year after year the price for these rental players is exorbitant and I challenge anyone on this board to give me the name of a trade deadline pick up that proved crucial to a team winning the cup in the year they did it..
1991 Pens get Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson, and Grant Jennings from Hartford for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski, and Jeff Parker. Ron Francis was clearly the key that move the Pens from 3rd to 1st down the stretch of the 90-91 season while then putting up 17 points in 24 games helping the Pens win the Cup.

While not a trade deadline deal, the Dec 1995 trade when the Avs acquired Patrick Roy clearly helped them win the Cup in the 95-96 season.

Rob Blake to the Avs in 2001. Although the Ray Bourque trade the year before was more important, adding Blake sealed the deal.

Mark Recchi to the Canes in 2005.

Guerin to the Pens in 2009. Finished 3rd on the team in scoring in the playoffs.

So there hasn't really been one in almost 10 years. It basically seems like one happens every 5 or so years, so an impact trade deadline deal is overdue.

IMO, the Blues shouldn't do squat. Too much depth is about to jump to the NHL and this team proved, at the start of the season, they can dominate games with this roster (minus Bouwmeester), even though half of it is checking lines. They just need to get back to what they were doing and Schwartz is a huge part of that - largely because, as stated elsewhere, of his away from the puck plays which makes everyone else on the ice with him more effective.

If the Blues could find some way to move Bouwmeester, I think it would help this team more than hurt them. They were the top scoring team in the league defensively until he returned. Now?? Not even top 10 since his return. On top of that, dressing 7 D to "protect" Bouwmeester, because he is hurt? Screw that. Sit his butt.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Story is that during the All-Star weekend, Auston Matthews was trying to lure some defensive help to Toronto. Maybe they would have interest in Bouwmeester? To be honest, the return wouldn't even have to be that great for me to pull the trigger.

Of course, if I were Toronto, I'd be more intersted in Erik Karlsson- but that obviously comes with a much larger price tag (even if Ottawa wants to deal with a division rival).

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Bouwmeester for Kadri, do it Army!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Bouwmeester for a bag of Air Canada Centre pucks which we pay for.... Do it Leeeeerrrry!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Hearing we're in on Pacioretty. I don't think there were any long term negative effects of his fractured vertebrae a while back but you really never know with an injury like that. The dude scores and he's not a gigantic cap hit at 4.5 million through the end of next season. As long as it's not a gross overpay, I'd be happy to see him in the note.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:Hearing we're in on Pacioretty. I don't think there were any long term negative effects of his fractured vertebrae a while back but you really never know with an injury like that. The dude scores and he's not a gigantic cap hit at 4.5 million through the end of next season. As long as it's not a gross overpay, I'd be happy to see him in the note.
You could do worse. It depends on what we give up, though.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Not a fan of Pacioretty. His "leadership" as Captain is a big reason the Canadiens traded P. K. Subban. Heck, they've changed coaches. Changed big name players. And still play very inconsistently. Only two things haven't changed - general manager and team leader. Just wonder what the deal is and wouldn't want to risk team chemistry which could really hurt what is a tight group already. Could be completely wrong... but.. just sayin'.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I was reading an article last night regarding Allen, and though I have tremendous doubts about the seriousness of the article itself, it did get me to thinking. The premise of it was that Allen would be included in a package to the Islanders for John Tavares.

There's so many obvious reasons that wouldn't happen, primarily that we'd then be heading into the playoffs with Hutton as #1 and Husso as #2. Stranger things have happened, I suppose, and it's not unprecedented for a rookie goalie to head into the playoffs and end up with their name on The Cup. I just don't see this as a thing Army would seriously be considering, though it got the wheels turning in my head about what I would consider the limit of what I'd offer for Tavares. There's no question that he'd be very welcome on the team, but getting him wouldn't be easy. Still, who would have thought we'd ever get to see Wayne Gretzky play for the Blues either?

The Islanders would be looking for a pretty good package of players in exchange for their franchise superstar. I would be willing to pony up Robert Thomas, Dunn, Luke Opilka and Blais for Tavares. I would also want a conditional 1st rounder, the condition being that we get the Islanders next first round pick if Tavares re-signs with them, unless the Blues win the Cup with JT on the roster. Even with this, which could turn into a massive overpay if Thomas and Blais both pan out and Dunn continues to progress nicely, I think Snow would be asking for even more. I'd love to see Tavares in St. Louis, but I don't think he can be had without giving up far too many prospects. I'd prefer to see them extend him an offer in the neighborhood of 7 years/77 million in the offseason--obviously with the money to afford him coming from not bringing back Stastny and trading Bouwmeester.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Per NHL.com articles, Islanders will not deal Tavares at all. Regardless of where they are in the standings the next 3 weeks.
If any team had hopes of prying star center John Tavares away from the Islanders before the deadline, general manager Garth Snow made it clear Thursday that won't happen -- even if the Islanders fall out of contention for a spot in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"I'm not trading John Tavares," Snow told Pierre Lebrun of the Athletic in a text message.

When asked Friday about Snow's statement, Tavares told Newsday, "Well, I don't want to be traded."

With the Islanders one point behind the Philadelphia Flyers for the second wild card into the playoffs from the Eastern Conference, it seemed highly unlikely that Snow would consider trading Tavares, who can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. If anything, Snow might be looking to upgrade his defense and goaltending to demonstrate to Tavares that the franchise is committed to winning and qualifying for the playoffs this season.

The Islanders lost their first two games after the All-Star break by a combined score of 9-1 -- a 4-1 home loss to the Florida Panthers on Tuesday and a 5-0 loss at the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday. They are allowing 3.62 goals per game, the most in the NHL, and are 30th in the 31-team League in shots allowed per game (35.1). They are 10-15-3 since Dec. 1 and have allowed at least four goals in 19 of those 28 games.

Tavares has stated repeatedly that his preference is to re-sign with the Islanders, but it appears increasingly likely that the 27-year-old center will wait at least until after the season before making a decision.
With a new arena actually in the works, I don't see the Islanders moving Tavares. He's only be 29 or 30, depending, when the new arena is supposed to be ready.

Now Allen to the Islanders for something else could be a possibility, but I have no idea what. Don't know that much about the Islanders or their depth other than the guys they wouldn't trade if they were upgrading.

For a more realistic trade partner, who do the Blues want from the Senators?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

What would it take to get Mike Hoffman from the Sens is a good question.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:Year after year the price for these rental players is exorbitant and I challenge anyone on this board to give me the name of a trade deadline pick up that proved crucial to a team winning the cup in the year they did it..
1991 Pens get Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson, and Grant Jennings from Hartford for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski, and Jeff Parker. Ron Francis was clearly the key that move the Pens from 3rd to 1st down the stretch of the 90-91 season while then putting up 17 points in 24 games helping the Pens win the Cup.

While not a trade deadline deal, the Dec 1995 trade when the Avs acquired Patrick Roy clearly helped them win the Cup in the 95-96 season.

Rob Blake to the Avs in 2001. Although the Ray Bourque trade the year before was more important, adding Blake sealed the deal.

Mark Recchi to the Canes in 2005.

Guerin to the Pens in 2009. Finished 3rd on the team in scoring in the playoffs.

So there hasn't really been one in almost 10 years. It basically seems like one happens every 5 or so years, so an impact trade deadline deal is overdue.

Both of the Kings cups followed deadline deals where they acquired an elite offensive talent that paced them to the cup: Carter and then Gaborik. Both deals with the Jackets (and I thought our GMs were good at building cup contenders elsewhere).
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

No question this team needs some help on the offensive front, but the question is how far do you go to get it? Let's not lose sight of the fact that next season we (probably, assuming no new injuries) have Fabbri and Sanford back, and we also have a full season of Thompson who I'm sure will bulk up a bit in the offseason, probably Kyrou, maybe Thomas, Blais and Kostin. Is it really worth it to make a trade for a playoff push that will probably go nowhere? I don't want to be the "wait til' next year" guy, but next year, barring an extended visit from the injury reaper, this team should be much better positioned.

I would welcome a trade if the cost was minimal but right now my concern is getting Bouwmeester's salary and Stastny's salary off the books permanently. Bouw I'd trade for a pick, Stastny I just plain wouldn't re-sign. Also, it bears saying that the UFA class is pretty solid if they want to go that route for a top 6 forward. Even taking the logical assumption that Tavares will never come to St. Louis, you still have James Van Reimsdyk, Evander Kane, Josh Bailey... I could get on board for any of those guys coming in as a free agent signing. All solid top 6.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I doubt Sanford makes the team next season. There will be too many better skilled forwards in camp. Of course, this means the Blues will keep Sanford over a more skilled smaller player, because Sanford is 6'3 210 and we all know size is the most important trait of any 3rd/4th line Blues player. :roll: