GDT Game 9: 10/21/17 | 9:30 PM CT | @ G. Knights | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT Game 9: 10/21/17 | 9:30 PM CT | @ G. Knights | FSMW/

Post by theohall »

Subban out... super rookie goaltender. Blues can't even get shots to the net, while Vegas has 3.... Have to work harder than the Knights and the Blues aren't doing it late in the 3rd period.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Petro fixed it! :woohoo:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Pietrangelo slaps it in!!! Blues tie it at 2!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Now let's follow that up with the winner!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Nice chance for Schwartz and Tarasenko!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Schwartz almost tips it in with 3 seconds left! Blues need to win it in OT.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Boooo!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Glad they at least got a point out of it, but it's a damn shame they didn't get both. Like Rob said, there's no way that puck wasn't over the line, but there was no video angle to prove it.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Yeah, I thought it went in too and thought it was obvious....

Not trying to stir things, but it's as if the NHL is really doing everything they can to make Vegas a successful team, from their schedule being front stacked so they have a really good record coming in (Didn't they play Arizona like 3 games already?) to what seems is a thrown goal by the refs. This being the Blues, no one's going to pay it no mind because most general NHL fans don't really pay attention to the Blues anyway, but still... it makes one wonder.

I thought it was a good game regardless.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

It's not just hockey, but I think replay is kinda flawed in all sports. That puck was obviously over the line. I understand the desire for conclusive evidence, but I wish they'd slightly lower the bar to allow for some common sense on situations like this. You don't have to be able to see the puck to know it's in the net. There's nowhere else it could have been.

I'm not sure how to word a rule that lowers that burden without creating more unintended consequences though.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:It's not just hockey, but I think replay is kinda flawed in all sports. That puck was obviously over the line. I understand the desire for conclusive evidence, but I wish they'd slightly lower the bar to allow for some common sense on situations like this. You don't have to be able to see the puck to know it's in the net. There's nowhere else it could have been.

I'm not sure how to word a rule that lowers that burden without creating more unintended consequences though.
I think there's a case to be made there, but the problem is that "common sense" is subjective. So the only way to take human subjectivity out of it (and placate biased fan bases of both teams involved) is to rely on the only objective measure- video evidence of the puck over the line.

Now, that said, here's a hypothetical- what is the difference between this situation and the situation when a goalie makes a glove save (ref calls no goal) but video review shows the glove was over the goal line. Ref reverses the call and makes it a goal. We've all seen it happen, right? If that is a goal, why was the one the other night not a goal?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:It's not just hockey, but I think replay is kinda flawed in all sports. That puck was obviously over the line. I understand the desire for conclusive evidence, but I wish they'd slightly lower the bar to allow for some common sense on situations like this. You don't have to be able to see the puck to know it's in the net. There's nowhere else it could have been.

I think there's a case to be made there, but the problem is that "common sense" is subjective. So the only way to take human subjectivity out of it (and placate biased fan bases of both teams involved) is to rely on the only objective measure- video evidence of the puck over the line.

Now, that said, here's a hypothetical- what is the difference between this situation and the situation when a goalie makes a glove save (ref calls no goal) but video review shows the glove was over the goal line. Ref reverses the call and makes it a goal. We've all seen it happen, right? If that is a goal, why was the one the other night not a goal?
Because one pad never crossed the goal line and the puck could have been under that pad. When it's a glove, it's really clear if the glove crossed the line with the puck in it. I never saw anything showing the puck anywhere in the net, in this instance. Don't even know from where the puck was retrieved. Which would have been a relevant factor. I know - common sense says it was under the goalie with most of the goalie in the net, but with nothing to prove that... makes it a very difficult case.

What was more egregious to me was the non-call when Schenn was clearly tripped in OT. 2 officials - only 6 skaters are on the ice. All of them are on one side of the blueline and neither sees a blatant trip? WTH were they watching??

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I thought the fix was in for Vegas, but the way they beat us and Chicago, this team is for real and Gerard Gallant is proving why Florida never should have let him go. Dude is a very very good coach.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

They out-worked the Blues in most of this game, as stated before, using the one skill almost everyone on the team has - speed. Do they have super star scorers - outside of Neal - nope. Do they have amazing skill players? No. But everyone on that team has speed and uses that speed. It caused the Blues fits in regulation and is going to do the same to lots of teams. One concern - how long can they play that at that pace over an 82 game season? As Blues fans we know, wearing a team out in the regular season matters in the playoffs. I do suspect there will be a point this season when they lose games due to not skating as strongly as they are now.

Kudos to Gallant. He does know what he's doing and as long as management lets him coach without interfering because the GM supposedly knows better (see the Panthers), the Knights are going to be a pain in everyone's rear.