Berglund out until December

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Berglund out until December

Post by cardsfan04 »

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/880100136453632000
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Berglund out until December

Post by glen a richter »

Should allow for one of the prospects to slide into his spot, perform beautifully and then get demoted immediately upon Berglund's return because he's Berglund for cripes sake, totally worth the money he's getting! :doh:
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Here's where all that 3rd line depth comes into play, just like Doug drew it up.

Also interested in a kid getting a shot, but your scenario is realistic, Glen.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

We could have traded Bergy off and kept Lehtera, anyone down for that? No? Me either! :)

I think it's good that Bergy is getting himself together, he's a solid 3rd line guy, people here complain like he's Lehtera. Better options? There are always better options, but he's the guy we got and on paper right now, our 3rd line looks vicious af without him and it gives me no worries. Bergy coming back in December will be like having a trade and if he comes back like he did from his last surgery, I will be very, very pleased.

As for Sundqvist, he's honestly more a winger at this stage of his career. Yes, he can play C and he's been used in that role, but he needs more development in that role and he's got aways before we can really rely on that. If Yeo plugs him in as a Center, you guys might not like him too much but he should post points. Just my two bits from what I've seen of him. Saying all of that, I really like the acquisition and feel he's got a real future in the league.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Oaklandblue wrote:Bergy coming back in December will be like having a trade and if he comes back like he did from his last surgery, I will be very, very pleased.
Is that you, Doug?

Seriously, though, I think the frustration is that this is the 2nd time he has injured himself during the offseason. Accidents happen in practices and games, but multiple offseason injuries is inexcusable to me, especially with the money and resources at his disposal. I just don't get it.

He is a suitable 3rd liner and better than Lehtera for a certainty. Personally, I hope a prospect makes the team out of camp and sticks upon Berglund's return. Thompson is a right handed shot and had a great prospect camp...

My fantasy lineup that's sure to be wrong is brought to you by a tall gin & tonic:
Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Schenn-Steen
Berglund-Sobotka-Thompson
Barbashev-Brodziak-Sanford

Disclaimer: I'm choosing to ignore Doug's FA signings today and that they might actually play more than 50 games for this team. #Grit #HardAreas
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Toasted Oates wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:Bergy coming back in December will be like having a trade and if he comes back like he did from his last surgery, I will be very, very pleased.
Is that you, Doug?

Seriously, though, I think the frustration is that this is the 2nd time he has injured himself during the offseason. Accidents happen in practices and games, but multiple offseason injuries is inexcusable to me, especially with the money and resources at his disposal. I just don't get it.

He is a suitable 3rd liner and better than Lehtera for a certainty. Personally, I hope a prospect makes the team out of camp and sticks upon Berglund's return. Thompson is a right handed shot and had a great prospect camp...

My fantasy lineup that's sure to be wrong is brought to you by a tall gin & tonic:
Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Schenn-Steen
Berglund-Sobotka-Thompson
Barbashev-Brodziak-Sanford

Disclaimer: I'm choosing to ignore Doug's FA signings today and that they might actually play more than 50 games for this team. #Grit #HardAreas
He's not injury prone and that's the feel I get from your post, he just seems to have issues with dislocating his shoulders. He got one fixed and it's pretty feasible to say the amount of extra work his other had to take while playing injured ended up getting injured itself.

We have other players on the team who've gone on the IR more times than Bergy has, I mean, this is a contact sport and probably one of the harshest on the body. Beyond this type of injury, Bergy has been really solid physically and I get the feel that Bergy rather play injured and try to help contribute to the team rather than drop out mid-season to have surgery and be out. That says alot about his character but it's a double-edge sword at best.

I absolutely hate Doug's FA signings. I think they show the real issue with the team's current culture: They want to live in the past. We don't need an enforcer and we don't need 4th line players who honestly shouldn't be playing NHL minutes and that's pretty much what we signed. In that situation, I'd rather call up a prospect who is hungry to play in the NHL and only needs opportunity to really develop their potential.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

This is a "what have you done for me lately" business and he missed 40 games 2 seasons ago and will miss at least 25 this year, unless he comes back sooner than expected. So at least 65 missed games in 3 seasons, counting the upcoming one. Paul Stastny is considered "injury prone." He still has missed 6 less games than Berglund since the start of the 15-16 season, and that's with 21 playing all 82 (with a Jori-esque 34 pts) last year.

If he played with any physicality at all or played like the power forward they drafted him to be and have paid him handsomely to be, he wouldn't be so "solid physically." He rarely uses that freakish frame to his advantage. Imagine if Schwartz or even Sobotka had Berglund's size.

Still...better than Lehtera, but Patrik Berglund is an ok 3rd liner at best. As dmiles said awhile ago here, "He is what he is."