Trades and Signings

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Trades and Signings

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Oaklandblue wrote:Yak is the biggest bust? Really?

With the crazy amount of hype and the quick paycheck, Daigle beats out Yak seven days a week.

What about The Wick? One 50 point season doesn't make him one of the biggest busts?

Yak, plugged in to a playmaking Center, is absolutely dangerous. He'll find a place, probably Vancouver and I expect him to return to being a 30-35 point winger, if not more. His issue sadly is IQ and I have no idea how you'd teach a guy that. If he had that, he'd be up there with McDavid; he has all the other tools to be a success. It's really sad.

The Blues coaching, sans Brodeur, was absolute trash last year, so I didn't expect Yak to improve on a team who has a serious ongoing problem with generating offense. I'm surprised others are on Yak for doing something that we as a team still can't figure out.
I'm not talking hype or paycheck.

Go look at the total NHL points production. I meant what I said, yes, Yakupov is a bigger bust than Daigle. Correct.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

What in the ever living hell are the Florida Panthers doing?

They get rid of literally all of their top three lines worth of wingers and bring in... a KHL transplant and Vrbata?

Seriously, who in the hell are you going to have playing wing for the Panthers this fall? They absolutely gut a defense that doesn't need to be gutted in 2016, signing average NHL defensemen Yandle and Demers to albatross contracts, then dump all 6 of their top wingers this offseason.

Insane.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:Beau Bennett, seriously?? Why? What's the point? Yet another 4th line forward who barely scores?? He's no Troy Brouwer even if he is a right shooting RW.

Thorburn is the completely unnecessary "Reaves replacement" and he's getting paid 900K per season to do what?

Sure glad Yeo is going to have these veteran bottom 6 forwards to play over younger, more talented players, which he will. :facepalm:
Yea I don't get it either. All of them bottom 6 depth players.

Kids are going to have to force their way into the lineup. We'll see.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Armstrong said (via Blues website article on signings) that this was mostly for depth, that the young guys would get playing time, and this ensures that inexperienced guys in the AHL aren't forced up too early.

We'll see how true that is. If it really is, then fine I guess. If they play over young guys with more upside, then I'll be unhappy. I really don't want Barbashev, Sanford or Sundqvist sitting for a grinder and an enforcer.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

Thorburn? I'd rather have Upshall!
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

In the "Not the least bit surprised" department, Kevin Shattenkirk signs a team friendly contract with his hometown Rangers. What bugs the crap out of me is that this was so inevitable that while Army was pissing around trying to trade with Edmonton, Tampa Bay and eventually Washington, he could have traded with the Rags two years ago and gotten more than what he got from the Caps... and ol' 22 wouldn't have even considered blocking the trade like he did to prevent us from getting either Taylor Hall or Jonathan Drouin. Shattenkirk is a scumbag, and now that he's in Ranger blue, even more so.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

JCShutout wrote:Armstrong said (via Blues website article on signings) that this was mostly for depth, that the young guys would get playing time, and this ensures that inexperienced guys in the AHL aren't forced up too early.

We'll see how true that is. If it really is, then fine I guess. If they play over young guys with more upside, then I'll be unhappy. I really don't want Barbashev, Sanford or Sundqvist sitting for a grinder and an enforcer.
If these signings were for depth, why are they one-way deals? Seems like an overpay for guys who will be in the AHL most of the time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

You know who I actually wouldn't be against them signing in spite of his history of piss poor attitude is Alex Radulov.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

glen a richter wrote:
JCShutout wrote:Armstrong said (via Blues website article on signings) that this was mostly for depth, that the young guys would get playing time, and this ensures that inexperienced guys in the AHL aren't forced up too early.

If these signings were for depth, why are they one-way deals? Seems like an overpay for guys who will be in the AHL most of the time.
Depth on the NHL roster. someone on GRB suggested this means Barbashev and Sanford probably start in the AHL. :?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:In the "Not the least bit surprised" department, Kevin Shattenkirk signs a team friendly contract with his hometown Rangers. What bugs the crap out of me is that this was so inevitable that while Army was pissing around trying to trade with Edmonton, Tampa Bay and eventually Washington, he could have traded with the Rags two years ago and gotten more than what he got from the Caps... and ol' 22 wouldn't have even considered blocking the trade like he did to prevent us from getting either Taylor Hall or Jonathan Drouin. Shattenkirk is a scumbag, and now that he's in Ranger blue, even more so.
See I don't think that's true. If you're the rangers why are you going to give up assets to acquire him when you "know" he'll come sign as a free agent? That would make zero sense. They've been hemorrhaging first round picks on busted trade deadline acquisitions for the better part of a decade now and it appears more recently they are realizing they can't keep doing that.

I very seriously doubt the Rangers would've offered more or even as much as the Caps did.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I keep reading how club-friendly the Shatty deal is. It is only 4 years which lowers the risk. But, I don't think I'd be happy going over $6 mil for him. I mean, in the sense that your value is what the market says it is, and it being likely that another team would have agreed to the same deal, I guess he's worth this much. But, in a moneyball-esque $$ per production context, I don't think this is that great of a deal unless he improves defensively.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm seriously considering calling into the Boomer and Carton Show on Monday morning because I know Boomer will be over the moon about getting Shattenkirk whom he no doubt sees as a huge improvement over Dan Girardi. He'll need someone to temper his expectations.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:I'm seriously considering calling into the Boomer and Carton Show on Monday morning because I know Boomer will be over the moon about getting Shattenkirk whom he no doubt sees as a huge improvement over Dan Girardi. He'll need someone to temper his expectations.
Hey Boomer, you know how good Shatt was in the playoffs? That's what the Rags are going to get out of him. Not saying Giardi is a huge improvement because I'm probably one of the few who feels he ain't and that the Rangers should have gone a different way, but what do I know?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

JCShutout wrote:
glen a richter wrote:

Depth on the NHL roster. someone on GRB suggested this means Barbashev and Sanford probably start in the AHL. :?
The Blues depth is Barbashev and Sanford. These FA's are just Doug trying to relive the 90's. THE 90S ARE OVER DOUG, LET IT GO!!!

I'm really angry about this. Why have a damn prospect pool full of ready to go blue chips and we're going to play some never-was fourth line trash over them?!
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I'm with you Oakland. I really want Sanford and Barbashev to play. My only thought is maybe they want to give those guys a full year of lots of AHL ice time for another year? Which, okay, but you lose Stastny after this year. It would be really nice to know if Barbashev could step in at that point.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Here is the big problem with the "let guys play in the AHL" thing.

The Blues have ZERO CONTROL over who plays how much for the Vegas Knights AHL team. If the Knights have guys they want playing more than Blues players, guess what? Those Blues players sit - when they could be playing in the NHL ahead of 4th line crap players who don't deserve the ice time.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Sounds like Colorado is going to give Yakupov a shot.

Good luck with that, Sakic. This is a guy who got outscored by Ryan Reaves.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ducks/la- ... story.html

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Colorado Avalanche have added another goal scoring option...

I thought the article was about Nail Yakupov.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Along with the Panthers you have to look at what the Avalanche are doing and shake your head in confusion.

Traded nobody (yet). Just bought out Beauchemin. Sign Yakupov, trade for Colin Wilson, which if he breaks 40 points that's a massive season for him basically.

What the hell is Sakic doing? Does he really think he's going to get a Lindros-ian type haul for Matt Duchene? Is he going to trade anyone at all?

That team is on pace to walk into training camp with basically the same roster as last season.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

WaukeeBlues wrote: yes, Yakupov is a bigger bust than Daigle. Correct.
Being a "bust" is contingent on expectations. The expectations for Daigle were monumental. Yakupov wasn't hyped at anywhere near the level Daigle was.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller