The Drafts Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Irish Blues
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: The Drafts Thread

Post by Irish Blues »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I really like this trade. It's the kind of creative move I didn't know Armstrong had in him. Now we have a #1 center (hopefully) hopefully gels with Tarasenko. I'm just nervous as hell what conditions they're talking about on that first rounder for next year. 2 firsts would be STEEP
Schenn has put up lesser numbers than Schwartz. Hard to see him suddenly turning into a 50 assist, 75 point guy - but if it happens, great. I just wouldn't bank much on it. Best case, he's a #2 center; more likely, he's the #3.
"You better get busy living, because dying's a pain in the ass." -- Frank Sinatra

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

:woohoo:

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Ok Doug.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Reaves gone. This one surprises me.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

not thrilled with the Schenn trade; as always it seems like Armie gave up too much. allegedly conditions on the 2018 #1 is we can opt to push it back to 2019 if we have a top ten pick next year. but if we do it costs us a 3rd in 2020. so 2 firsts for schenn and them taking lehtera.

reeves deal is ok; basically using reeves to trade back up to the first round. the player from the pens doesn't look like much.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Irish Blues wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:I really like this trade. It's the kind of creative move I didn't know Armstrong had in him. Now we have a #1 center (hopefully) hopefully gels with Tarasenko. I'm just nervous as hell what conditions they're talking about on that first rounder for next year. 2 firsts would be STEEP
Schenn has put up lesser numbers than Schwartz. Hard to see him suddenly turning into a 50 assist, 75 point guy - but if it happens, great. I just wouldn't bank much on it. Best case, he's a #2 center; more likely, he's the #3.
I was speaking in largely relative terms. Schenn is a #1 for this team. Cause Stastny isn't. Schwartz is more a winger than a centerman. In my opinion anyway.

As far as the two picks, at least we got one "back" with the Reaves trade. All I know was I was hoping for Armstrong to add some offensive punch this offseason and he has undoubtedly now done that. Hard to attack him for making a move to fill a need.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

And the Blues took Klim Kostin with that pick acquired from Pittburgh at 31 in the 1st round. Hope I'm wrong about him and he plays like the prospect he was before this season.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

And here is a good time line on Oscar Sundqvist following the Penguins drafting him. No one says anything really negative about him.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Maybe Army is committing to putting together a quality 4th line? I like that profile on Sundqvist.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:Maybe Army is committing to putting together a quality 4th line? I like that profile on Sundqvist.
With Reaves shipped out and Uphsall un-signed, that leaves Brodziak from last season. Given Brodziak's age, Sundqvist is his replacement. So it's a start.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think I like the trades from last night. I've been saying since the season ended that we need to trade from a surplus (picks) for a deficiency (top 6 forwards). So, this was the kind of thing I wanted to see. It also takes care of the Lehtera problem. Schenn wasn't really on my radar though and 2 1st rounders is a bit steep. He's 25 and has two 25 goal seasons though. Also plays center which helps our depth there. All in all, I'm at least looking to see how it plays out. But, I think I like it.

I'll miss Reaves though. Maybe his role is out of date, but he was an easy guy to like on the team.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Did they really lose two first round picks, though? They got one back, so the pick they traded, 27, became 31. They still had 2 picks in the 1st round this season and only lost one down the road, whether it's next season or 2019. If it's 2019, though, they do lose a 3rd next year, also.

I'm not considering these as "separate" trades, even though they are separate trades.
Posted this in the "trades" thread, but it sums up the combination and he didn't even mention Sundqvist.
https://twitter.com/Palazzola_RTN/status/878436583615148037 Schenn - 5th overall pick in 2008
2 first rounders in Kostin and Thomas
and the 3rd round pick, Sundqvist

For Lehtera's ludicrous contract, Reaves, and a conditional (as in not top 10) 1st rounder, plus a possible 3rd depending on the conditional 1st.

Schenn/Lehtera contract is basically a wash, but Schenn is a more skilled center, period.

That's a good deal.

In other words 3 first round picks and a 3rd for Lehtera, Reaves and a 1st.... seriously? With how bad Lehtera has been playing?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:And the Blues took Klim Kostin with that pick acquired from Pittburgh at 31 in the 1st round. Hope I'm wrong about him and he plays like the prospect he was before this season.
He went first overall in the CHL draft in 2016?! Whoa.

That alone is a huge testament to this kids skill. Sounds like he would've gone much much higher if not for the "Russian Factor" and the shoulder surgery in late winter/early spring.

high risk but could be a really high reward. Will be interesting to see what he does.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Love it.

London has a terrific track record on future NHL forwards so I'm pumped to see how this kid proceeds. Two seasons ago as a rookie on the Knights he got to see guys like Tkachuk and Marner up on the top line and sounds like he's taken the reigns as the new top #1 center.

Give him some time to work on his areas of improvement but sounds to me like a very solid pick.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

theohall wrote:Did they really lose two first round picks, though? They got one back, so the pick they traded, 27, became 31. They still had 2 picks in the 1st round this season and only lost one down the road, whether it's next season or 2019. If it's 2019, though, they do lose a 3rd next year, also.

I'm not considering these as "separate" trades, even though they are separate trades.
Posted this in the "trades" thread, but it sums up the combination and he didn't even mention Sundqvist.
https://twitter.com/Palazzola_RTN/status/878436583615148037 Schenn - 5th overall pick in 2008
2 first rounders in Kostin and Thomas
and the 3rd round pick, Sundqvist

For Lehtera's ludicrous contract, Reaves, and a conditional (as in not top 10) 1st rounder, plus a possible 3rd depending on the conditional 1st.

Schenn/Lehtera contract is basically a wash, but Schenn is a more skilled center, period.

That's a good deal.

In other words 3 first round picks and a 3rd for Lehtera, Reaves and a 1st.... seriously? With how bad Lehtera has been playing?
I think looking at the two trades as one makes sense. I had same thought, and could get on board with saying we gave up a conditional first and a second (we gave up pick 51 in Reaves trade, right?) and calling 27==>31 a wash.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I forgot about the 2nd rounder - sue me....

Looks like a slow day for the Blues with no picks until the 4th round....

But I don't care. Lehtera is GONE!!!! :banana:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

theohall wrote:I forgot about the 2nd rounder - sue me....

Looks like a slow day for the Blues with no picks until the 4th round....

But I don't care. Lehtera is GONE!!!! :banana:
I was agreeing with you.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Sleep deprivation - sorry. Been up all night and can't sleep.... grrrr....

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues draft Alexey Toropchenko, 6'3 187 RW who shoots left. Currently age 17.

Only scouting report I've found so far..... There is a little video at the link. Reads like a Russian version of Keith Tkachuk.
Toropchenko is super-talented scoring winger who uses his speed, length and tenacity to cause matchup problems. Spending most of his draft year in the MHL allowed him to maintain consistency, especially in the second half. He can make plays off the rush and is an inside player with a devastating change of pace. He makes his living causing havoc in front of the net, and his finishing skills off rebounds and loose pucks are among the best the 2017 draft has to offer. He played center sparingly, but being a goal scorer and top power play option didn’t prevent his coach from entrusting him with late game and penalty killing situations. As boom-or-bust as he seems, don’t be fooled by his poor international stats (three points in 16 games) — Toropchenko is both physical and has game-breaking skills with top-line upside.