GDT #41: 1/7/17 | 7:00 PM CST | vs Bruins | NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #41: 1/7/17 | 7:00 PM CST | vs Bruins | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by theohall »

Chat with us here: BEST DAMN BLUES CHATZY EVER 2016-2017
The St. Louis Blues, who have not won two consecutive games for more than a month, are going to try a new approach for Tuesday night's game against the visiting Boston Bruins.

After a 4-3 win over the Dallas Stars on Saturday night, defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk said the Blues will prepare for the next game as if they had lost.

"I think that's something that we do such a good job of, when we lose, is come back and play well," Shattenkirk said. "We have to treat Tuesday's game like we have that hunger to get another win. It's gonna be important for us to do that because Boston's a team that can catch us if we're not ready for them."

The victory over the Stars left the Blues with a 12-5-2 record in games following a loss this season.

Tuesday night's game will feature the return to St. Louis of former Blues captain David Backes. He signed with the Bruins as a free agent last summer after 10 years with the Blues.

"He's gonna want to have a big showing, but we have to put all that aside and try to get a winning streak going," Shattenkirk said.

Backes is third on the Bruins with 11 goals and scored in each of the first two games on the Bruins' current four-game trip. He also recorded 10 assists in his first 35 games.

Backes already faced the Blues, on Nov. 22 in Boston, but his homecoming promises to be a more emotional night. He played 727 career games for the Blues, the fifth most in franchise history. His total of 206 goals ranks sixth on the team's all-time list.

Blues coach Ken Hitchcock has experienced the return of many former players during his long career, so he has an idea of what lies ahead for Backes.

"I'm sure for David it will be unique and once in a lifetime," Hitchcock said. "Both teams are fighting for a playoff spot and fighting for positioning, so the focus will be on the game a little more for us. It was emotional for us when we went to Boston for the whole team, but I think the team is more accustomed to it now. It will be emotional for David.

"I'm sure he's going to get a big ovation. He deserves it. He was a good player for a long time here. Some people are good players, and then there's good people. David's good people. He was great in the community, great on the ice, great as a leader, he did a lot of things. He sure made my job a lot easier."

Backes and his new teammates will be trying to extend the Blues' streak without winning consecutive games, which last happened during a three-game winning streak from Nov. 26 to Dec. 1.

The game against the Hurricanes was the third in four nights, and the second half of back-to-back games in Florida and Carolina for the Bruins. After earning three of a possible four points in the games on Saturday and Sunday, Boston took Monday off and did not practice after arriving in St. Louis.

"We had our chances and we couldn't capitalize," forward Tim Schaller said of the loss to the Hurricanes. "If we could have won that in regulation it would have been nice. We knew we could beat them. We knew our legs might not be 100 percent, but mentally we knew we could beat them. We had a good fight."
Blues • The Blues wrap up a six-game homestand by welcoming former captain David Backes back to town for the first time since he signed with Boston last summer. ... The Blues and Bruins have met once this season, Nov. 22 in Boston, a game the Blues won 4-2 despite a goal from Backes. ... Jake Allen, who made a season-high 39 saves in the win over Boston, will be back in net Tuesday after sitting out Saturday’s win over Dallas.

Bruins • Boston is in second place in the Atlantic Division with 47 points, nine behind first-place Montreal. ... The Bruins will be playing their third game in four nights, after winning 4-0 over Florida on Saturday and falling 4-3 at Carolina on Sunday ... Backes missed three games recently with a concussion, but he has played in the last two and has scored a goal in each, giving him 11 this season. He also has 10 assists for 21 points in 35 games.

Injuries • Blues — D Carl Gunnarsson (lower body) and D Robert Bortuzzo (lower body), out. Bruins — LW Matt Beleskey (knee), out.
Tonight is a big night for the Blues, not only because David Backes will return to Scottrade Center for the first time, but also because it marks the end of a six-game, 19-day homestand, as well as the beginning of a stretch that will see the team play 21 of their next 34 games on the road. The Blues nipped the Bruins 4-2 back on Nov. 22 at TD Garden. Backes showed well for the Bruins in that outing, scoring a power-play goal and registering six shots. St. Louis has won three of their last four against Boston and two of the last three at Scottrade Center. Following tonight's game, the team will head west for a three-game swing through California (LA, SJS, ANA) to begin the toughest and most critical stretch of the 2016-17 regular season schedule.

What to Watch

David Backes' return should be emotional, not only for the former Blues captain, but for the Scottrade Center faithful. The Blues plan to honor Backes with a tribute video that should draw the usual outpour of appreciation from Blues fans. On the Blues side, Vladimir Tarasenko, who is riding a season-best three-game goal streak, will appear in his 300th game tonight while Alexander Steen will look to improve on his three-game point streak. A point tonight and Steen could match his longest streak of the season, while the Blues could improve on their 12-3-2 record when Steen finds the point sheet this season.

Milestones

Patrik Berglund will dress in game No. 596 tonight, passing Jamal Mayers for seventh among forwards and 12th overall in Blues history
Jori Lehtera - 2 shy of 100 career PIM
Kyle Brodziak - 5 shy of 400 career PIM
Jaden Schwartz - 4 shy of 100 career assists
Joel Edmundson - 7 shy of 100 career PIM
Patrik Berglund - 4 shy of 200 career PIM
Quick Hits

The Blues have posted 12 steals in each of their last two games and lead the NHL with a 1.36 takeaway to giveaway ratio
David Backes' 30 goal - 30 assist - +30 season in 2010-11 is the only one of its kind in Blues history
Since the beginning of December, only Vladimir Tarasenko (10) has more goals than Patrik Berglund (6)
From Oct. - Dec., the Blues ranked 19th overall with a -6 goal differential while they share 6th-best with a +2 mark in 2017

This day in history:
1920 Montreal Canadiens (14) & Toronto St Patricks (7) score NHL record 21 goals
1931 Philadelphia Quakers defeat Montreal ending NHL-record 15-game losing streak
1945 No one is elected to baseball's Hall of Fame
1981 Wayne Babych sets Blues team record for consecutive games with a goal scoring in his 8th straight as Blues tie Kings 6-6
1984 Mike Liut wins 5th straight start as Blues shutout Canucks 2-0
1989 Wayne Gretzky passes Gordie Howe for the most combined points (regular season and playoffs) in NHL history
2012 Blues blank Canadiens 3-0 on Jaroslav Jalak's 19 save shutout
Last edited by theohall on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #41: 1/7/16 | 7:00 PM CST | vs Bruins | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by theohall »

Following Kevin Shattenkirk's lead with the music choice - act like we lost the last one. :okman:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

This game marks the halfway point in the season.

Two points, please. :letsgoblues:

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

makes me glad that adfreetime doesn't work anymore.
I don't have a chance to see this garbage.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Not a very good 1st Period. Allen is shaky. On the PK, a Blue has the puck with no opponent near him, free to do whatever he may choose. The closest Bruin is straight ahead of him 7-8 feet away, and instead of lifting it over his head, or slapping it wide of him on either side (an easy thing to do). He hits it right at him, in the only place out of 100 where it could be kept in the zone, then, of course, the goal against comes seconds later.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Well, at least one good thing happened tonight. Now, Parayko can start scoring goals in bunches.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Berglund never heard of making a move on the goalie before shooting???

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

2 bad periods in a row. Boo!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Berglund gets his goal, after all! :lol:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Well, that's half the season in the bag. According to the broadcast of the game, we are 3 points off the pace we were at this time last season, and have actually scored more goals. So, more or less exactly where we were last season.

I remember the mood at this point last year was also remarkably similar to this year- most all of us were feeling disgruntled that our talent wasn't showing, we weren't performing to the standard of previous teams, and we would be lucky to make it out of the 1st round. Then something happened down the stretch. Who knows what caused it. Elliott found his game and played out of his mind, Tank was racking up the goals, and we rolled into the playoffs and went to the Conference Finals.

This year? I just don't know. Is something going to happen to spark our team to consistent performance? Is Allen going to start looking like he did at the beginning of the season? When is the last time we had a shutout, anyway? Our roster is mostly the same as last year- what is the difference in the way they played last year compared to the way they are playing this year? The standings may look about the same, but I don't have any confidence in this team's ability to make any impact in the playoffs. Hell, if we keep playing .500 hockey like we have been, we'll be in a wild card spot in no time flat (we're already way closer to falling to a wild card than we are to catching MIN or CHI in the standings), and not too far from being outside looking in.

I think it comes down to the WAY they are playing. It just doesn't seem to be working. At this point, I would be more optimistic if I knew we would be starting next season with a coach not named Hitchcock or Yeo. But I guess the beatings will continue until morale improves.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

gaijin wrote:Well, that's half the season in the bag. According to the broadcast of the game, we are 3 points off the pace we were at this time last season, and have actually scored more goals. So, more or less exactly where we were last season.

I remember the mood at this point last year was also remarkably similar to this year- most all of us were feeling disgruntled that our talent wasn't showing, we weren't performing to the standard of previous teams, and we would be lucky to make it out of the 1st round. Then something happened down the stretch. Who knows what caused it. Elliott found his game and played out of his mind, Tank was racking up the goals, and we rolled into the playoffs and went to the Conference Finals.

This year? I just don't know. Is something going to happen to spark our team to consistent performance? Is Allen going to start looking like he did at the beginning of the season? When is the last time we had a shutout, anyway? Our roster is mostly the same as last year- what is the difference in the way they played last year compared to the way they are playing this year? The standings may look about the same, but I don't have any confidence in this team's ability to make any impact in the playoffs. Hell, if we keep playing .500 hockey like we have been, we'll be in a wild card spot in no time flat (we're already way closer to falling to a wild card than we are to catching MIN or CHI in the standings), and not too far from being outside looking in.

I think it comes down to the WAY they are playing. It just doesn't seem to be working. At this point, I would be more optimistic if I knew we would be starting next season with a coach not named Hitchcock or Yeo. But I guess the beatings will continue until morale improves.
Eddie O said on one of our broadcasts recently that he feels the Blues lost a lot of size in the offseason and that is what is hurting the team. I don't think Allen has been bad but I do think the D has let him down on a lot of nights. Also the Blues were gassed from that long run last season - it does impact the team the next season. Overall everyone in our division regressed this year, Dallas by far the most, Nashville, Blues and the Blackhawks too. We have been hovering around 30th in penalty kill all season and we have different chemistry with a LOT of kids. I know my team is first in the conference at present but I see Minnesota taking the West and a short playoff run for the Blackhawks. I think a team can survive the playoffs without a powerplay but they can't without a penalty kill. I believe both the Hawks and Blues will be active around the trade deadline as both teams are missing whatever the chemistry piece is that tied it all together last season.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

*Dusts off account*

:goblues:

Yeesh. Might need to update my signature....

Hey guys! Glad to still see some familiar names around here.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

The Blues' big bodies and "heavy game" garnered them 2 playoff series wins in a 4 season span, so I've always thought of that as a bit overrated.

-The Blues are in the top 10 in goals for, bottom 6 in goals against.

-The goaltending has been a surprising disappointment and the defensemen are the same guys that were here last year. Once in awhile, the goalie has to rescue the team. Neither guy has really delivered a performance like that, outside of maybe Hutton vs the Rangers in the season's infancy. Not 100% on their shoulders, especially in the Bruins game, but it's not a strength right now.

-Vladi Tarasenko has 43 points but he's a -6. Again, this team gets scored on a lot.

So how do they fix it? I'm far too ignorant to know the answer but I think they are what they are. Hope I'm wrong and Doug Armstrong makes a couple uncharacteristically brilliant decisions before this season goes swirling down the toilet.

Go Blues.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think the season essentially hinges on Allen. He's not giving us enough right now, and if this is all we get in the playoffs, I think we're in trouble.

A friend of mine quoted a stat to me yesterday that, if accurate, is pretty telling. We have allowed the 7th fewest shots from the middle and low danger areas in the league. Jake Allen has allowed the most goals from those areas in the league. I have a feeling the exact stat is getting lost in translation, but the gist of it is that Allen is allowing more goals than anybody in the league despite facing fewer shots from that area than most. The soft goals need to stop. This is the downside of Elliott going to Calgary. I don't really feel comfortable with Hutton starting for a week, but I think Allen needs a wake up call.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

A couple thoughts / questions

1) Does anyone know the back story on why Elliot wasn't resigned? Was it a cap issue or did Armstrong just not want to pay the asking price that Calgary offered him? Or was it how Hitch mishandled him in the later playoff rounds last season when he pulled him a few times when it didn't seem to me at least that a goalie change was needed.

2) I'm surprised no one has discussed the Backes vs Edmundson fight. I was disappointed to see that especially cause they played together last year. Not sure if there was some previous friction between the 2 we weren't aware of but I never like seeing former teammates duke it out. I hate it when it happens in practice too. In my 20s I used to love the fighting in the NHL - now in my middle 40s I don't and especially from 2 guys that worked together last year for a common goal. that's my 2 cents.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:A couple thoughts / questions

1) Does anyone know the back story on why Elliot wasn't resigned? Was it a cap issue or did Armstrong just not want to pay the asking price that Calgary offered him? Or was it how Hitch mishandled him in the later playoff rounds last season when he pulled him a few times when it didn't seem to me at least that a goalie change was needed.

2) I'm surprised no one has discussed the Backes vs Edmundson fight. I was disappointed to see that especially cause they played together last year. Not sure if there was some previous friction between the 2 we weren't aware of but I never like seeing former teammates duke it out. I hate it when it happens in practice too. In my 20s I used to love the fighting in the NHL - now in my middle 40s I don't and especially from 2 guys that worked together last year for a common goal. that's my 2 cents.
Elliott didn't sign with Calgary as a FA, he was traded there. He asked to be given the number 1 job (not 1A/B) after the playoffs. Blues told him it would be a competition, so he asked to be traded.

The Backed/Edmundson fight was interesting. A Bruin (don't recall who) was hit awkwardly by Lehtera and Edmundson. It wasn't a dirty hit, but the Bruin went down in front of the goal. Backes was sticking up for his teammate. I don't think it was bad blood, but it wasn't a bad hit either. Just a weird occurrence in the game.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:I think the season essentially hinges on Allen. He's not giving us enough right now, and if this is all we get in the playoffs, I think we're in trouble.

A friend of mine quoted a stat to me yesterday that, if accurate, is pretty telling. We have allowed the 7th fewest shots from the middle and low danger areas in the league. Jake Allen has allowed the most goals from those areas in the league. I have a feeling the exact stat is getting lost in translation, but the gist of it is that Allen is allowing more goals than anybody in the league despite facing fewer shots from that area than most. The soft goals need to stop. This is the downside of Elliott going to Calgary. I don't really feel comfortable with Hutton starting for a week, but I think Allen needs a wake up call.
And when the Blues are struggling defensively, that middle/low danger area (low and mid-slot) is where most of the shots come from in those particular games. When the Blues defense is on, the team isn't committing neutral zone/blue line turnovers, and odd-man breaks against are very limited, they win. When those three things happen, along with forwards not getting back enough by jumping on the ice and waiting for a stretch pass (which happens more often than many realize), the Blues lose. Not rocket science. The problem with the Bruins game - 2 of the 3 goals Allen allowed were brutal in terms of where they came from (the circles, not the slot). Saves he should have made. The 4th goal against, which Hutton allowed, went to the same spot where Allen had just given up 2 softies. None of the goals allowed in the Bruins game were from high, middle, or low danger areas. Just look at the shot chart (bottom of page). Absolutely horrible goaltending lost that game. No place else to lay the blame this time, other than the Blues getting almost nothing from those same danger areas - as in not enough work put in in the offensive zone.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:

Elliott didn't sign with Calgary as a FA, he was traded there. He asked to be given the number 1 job (not 1A/B) after the playoffs. Blues told him it would be a competition, so he asked to be traded.

The Backed/Edmundson fight was interesting. A Bruin (don't recall who) was hit awkwardly by Lehtera and Edmundson. It wasn't a dirty hit, but the Bruin went down in front of the goal. Backes was sticking up for his teammate. I don't think it was bad blood, but it wasn't a bad hit either. Just a weird occurrence in the game.
Edmunson didn't make much out of it in an interview with STL Today I think it was. Kinda shrugged it off. Backes had to do what he felt like he had to do and Edmundson had to respond. No bad blood I don't think.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

Edmunson didn't make much out of it in an interview with STL Today I think it was. Kinda shrugged it off. Backes had to do what he felt like he had to do and Edmundson had to respond. No bad blood I don't think.
It would have been funny if Reaves had been on the ice at the time. Would Backes had fought him? Probably would have been more like dropping the gloves, then laughing and hugging it out... :grin:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I will be the first to admit anytime I'm wrong and dang if I wasn't wrong on Jake Allen. Maybe he'll turn it around but if this team wins the Cup with him in net it'll be more like an Osgood or a Fleury "winning in spite of the goalie" situation.

At this point, I'm thinking if they really have the intention of trading Shattenkirk at or around the deadline, forget prospects or any of that nonsense and get a goalie. We can't wait around for the next few years to see if Husso gets it together and becomes what he should hopefully become. When this team didn't need a veteran netminder, they went out and got one (Miller) anyway. Now this team does need a veteran netminder and lord knows they won't go out and get one.

I'm still not clamoring for Elliott, he has proven that he's not a #1 anymore than Allen has. Neither seems to be anything better than a 1A/1B which is not what this team needs.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024