GDT #38: 1/2/2017 | 12:00 PM CST | vs Blackhawks | NBC/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

GDT #38: 1/2/2017 | 12:00 PM CST | vs Blackhawks | NBC/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

It's Winter Classic Time! Let's hope the weather holds...

Chat: http://www.chatzy.com/34611393437138

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blues-blac ... --nhl.html
ST. LOUIS -- Playing in one of the NHL's outdoor games is becoming an almost annual event for the Chicago Blackhawks, but for all but two members of the St. Louis Blues, Monday's game will be a new experience.

The Winter Classic matchup at Busch Stadium will be the fifth outdoor game for the Blackhawks since 2009. Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook each played in the previous four, and Corey Crawford started the last three in goal.

The only players who will be on the ice for the Blues to have played in an outdoor game are defenseman Carl Gunnarsson, who was with the Toronto Maple Leafs for the game against the Detroit Red Wings at the University of Michigan stadium on Jan. 1, 2014, and defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, who was with Calgary for an outdoor game in 2011.

A third Blues defenseman, Robert Bortuzzo, played for the Pittsburgh Penguins in an outdoor game, but he is on injured reserve and won't play on Monday.

Toews thinks there is at least one area where the extra experience playing outdoors could give the Blackhawks an advantage.

"Sometimes in games, it's not like you get caught looking around but you are still trying to get your bearings," he said after Sunday's practice. "Everything is a little bit different. In hockey you use your peripheral vision a lot too. You don't quite see your teammates, everything's white and it's harder to see in the distance where guys are. That's the kind of thing you have to get used to a little bit."

It also will be the first outdoor game -- at least in the NHL -- for Blues coach Ken Hitchcock, who has logged 1,441 regular-season games behind the bench since 1995.

Hitchcock said Sunday he coached an outdoor game before -- against a team of prison inmates years ago when he was coaching in Prince Albert, Canada.

"I had this bright idea that we were going to give back to the community so I organized a game against the inmates," he said. "They were playing for real and we were trying to play for fun. They won.

"It was a lot scarier than the one is going to be tomorrow. Really scary as a matter of fact. We were afraid to score a goal to be honest with you. ... It wasn't one of my brightest ideas."

Hitchcock said being on the ice outdoors on Sunday also was emotional, reminding him of when he was growing up in Edmonton.

"My dad was a caretaker for two outdoor rinks and it just brings you back to the old days," he said. "I told the guys I could be a laborer and they gave me two pieces of wood to carry onto a wheelbarrow, so I did my day's work. It was really neat when I was out there with the workers."

One of the challenges both teams might have to deal with is the weather. Rain is in the forecast, and there is a possibility the game could be delayed or even postponed until Tuesday. An NHL announcement on the game time is scheduled for 8 a.m. Monday.

"That's the fun part about these types of games, all the different kinds of challenges and things that you run into," Keith said. "I like that sort of thing, it's different, it changes it up."

The Blackhawks will be without Marcus Kruger, who was placed on injured reserve on Sunday because of an upper-body injury suffered on Friday night. Jaden Schwartz of the Blues missed practice on Sunday because of illness, but Hitchcock said he is hoping Schwartz will be well enough to play on Monday.
Got to see the Alumni Game on Saturday, but I'll be watching this one from the couch. 2 points, please! :letsgoblues:
Last edited by gaijin on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #38: 1/2/2017 | 12:00 PM CST | vs Blackhawks | NBC/K

Post by gaijin »

More on the weather updates:
ST. LOUIS – Greetings from foggy, misty St. Louis, where the 2017 NHL Winter Classic will hopefully be played within the next 48 hours.

The NHL decided on Monday morning to keep the start time of the game at noon central time, which was its original start time. But in doing so, and with the potential for poor weather conditions on Jan. 2 and 3 in the area, the NHL also spelled out some interesting contingency plans for the game between the Chicago Blackhawks and the St. Louis Blues.

Including one in which the game would be finished in Chicago, nearly two months later.

From the NHL:

Once the game has begun, it may be subject to one or more temporary stoppages due to unplayable weather conditions, at the discretion of the Commissioner. Period and game format may be reconfigured to accommodate temporary stoppages as determined appropriate by the Commissioner.

In the event of high winds at the ice surface, the clubs will switch ends at the 10:00 minute mark of the third period as signaled by a “hard whistle.” The face off will take place where the play was whistled dead. This identical procedure will take place at the 2:30 minute mark of an overtime period, if needed.

In the event of a shootout, each club will determine what end they prefer to defend, which could be the same end.

If the game is started, then stopped permanently due to unplayable weather conditions, it will be deemed “official” once two periods have been played. The team leading at the time play is stopped will be declared the winner and will be awarded two points in the standings.

Now, before we go on, players like Duncan Keith of the Blackhawks have lamented that they’ve played significant opponents in outdoor games, i.e. divisional ones where the points really matter. “Obviously, you separate everything, the distractions, that surround these games, and it’s a tough two points against a big opponent,” he told us on Sunday.

We can’t imagine losing a game without having played three periods will be pleasing to either of these Central Division foes.

We continue with the NHL:

If the game is tied at the time play is stopped permanently, any time after two periods of play, each team will be awarded one point in the standings, with an opportunity to earn an additional point in a standard shootout format.

If weather conditions permit, the shootout will be conducted at Busch Stadium immediately after regulation play has been stopped. If weather conditions make it impossible to conduct a shootout safely at Busch Stadium, the shootout will take place at United Center on Sunday, February 26 prior to the regularly scheduled St. Louis-Chicago game, with St. Louis deemed the home club for shootout purposes only.

So if there’s a shootout, and they ice isn’t safe enough for the shootout, it will take place in a different city on Feb. 26, before another game. Wacky!

Would that qualify the Winter Classic as the longest outdoor game in NHL history?

From the NHL:

If the game is started, and stopped permanently due to unplayable weather conditions, and fewer than two periods of regular time has been played, the game will be officially “postponed” and, if possible, will be played in its entirety at Busch Stadium on Tuesday, January 3. If the game cannot be replayed at Busch Stadium on January 3, it will be rescheduled at Scottrade Center for a date to be determined later in the season.

So, in summary: Let’s hope they get the entire thing done on Monday and save everybody the headaches.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

They did a really nice job with the field - I like the guitar with the music design - very cool! Sounds like rain is inevitable but let's hope it holds out. It would suck to have the game end after 2 periods.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Blackhawks up 1-0 on a strange bounce off a knucklepuck.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Blues with a good kill with Pietrangelo in the box.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Not a terrible 1st. But, too bad they gave up that early goal. It seems they've been behind early in most of their recent games. Even with the deflection, I thought Allen should have stopped that one.

I take a glance over at the Denmark/Russia game every once in a while. Getting a good workout of my neck muscles.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Berglund! Tied 1-1 midway through the 2nd!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Berglund bangs it in from a nice pass from Bouwmeester!!! Blues tie it at 1!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Good kill!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

At least The Blues will have much of a PP on the fresh ice at the start of The 3rd!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Where the Frank did Hitch get that awful hat?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Yet another PP for The Blues! They've GOT to score on this one!

Tarasenko hits the post!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Another lousy job on the PP.

Nice drive to the net by Jaskin. The Blues have been better 5 on 5 than on the PP.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Big penalty kill needed now!

A couple great saves by Allen!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Blues lead 2-1! On lucky goal by Tarasenko!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Tarasenko again!!! Great pass by Fabbri!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Blues win 4-1!!!! I like it!!!

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Fabbri is so good. Love that dude
So much energy, loads of skill

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Man, what a beautiful day for Blues hockey. I've hated on Bettman, but I applaud him for throwing STL a bone after the Rams left and giving them this game. Seems like, from a national perspective at least, the game went over very well.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I was really worried about the weather today. 29 and snowing would have been perfect. 33 and rainy would have been miserable. 47 and reasonably dry during the game worked just fine though.

Everything about the game was more or less perfect. Atmosphere was phenomenal. They did a really good job setting it up. Blues won which I guess should have been listed first. And it seems that STL is getting some major props nationally. Really happy with how this played out.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen