2016-17 Chicago Wolves Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

2016-17 Chicago Wolves Thread

Post by glen a richter »

Mainly to follow our prospects. Home opener tonight.

How come they're carrying Binnington, Copley AND Husso? Vvery bad for Husso's development, I'd think.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: 2016-17 Chicago Wolves Thread

Post by Robb_K »

All 3 are too good for The ECHL. So, they need to loan Copley to another AHL team. The problem is that all the other AHL teams have 2 or more goalies that their NHL teams want to develop. This problem is usually solved by sending a European goalie back to his European team. That isn't really a good option in this case, because Husso's Finnish League team has 3 goaltenders, and The Blues really want Husso to get used to The North American game as soon as possible. I assume that they will have to carry all 3 for a few more, or even several weeks until there is a major NHL or AHL goaltender injury, to loan Copley to an AHL team, or trade him to another NHL team (if there's an injury in their system.

It's bad enough for the development of Binnington and Husso, alone, to have them divide starts, instead of getting starter (60+ starts) time, for best development.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

I was at this game last night - my kids skated the 2nd intermission as Mite players. I don't follow the players for this and it was weird having to root for the Wolves when our feeder team is the Rockford Ice Hogs. The stadium was only about 40% full. It's such a huge difference between AHL and NHL caliber players. But it was fun to go to one game.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Wish we still had the Rivermen. Talk about a mess.

But even if we did, we'd still roll three goaltenders and with the Wolves none of them are going to get the workload they need to properly develop. What about sending players on loan to the OHL? Or is that under the AHL in terms of development structure?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Vince Dunn had a goal and assist in the opening game, didn't play game 2. Explanation? Injured? Didn't want the kid to play back to back nights?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I see Husso was sent to the ECHL. No surprise, not looking too good in his starts at Chicago.

bluenotekidd
All-Star
All-Star

Post by bluenotekidd »

According to KSDK, the Blues could possibly be relocating their AHL affiliate to KC starting next season. It doesn't sound like they are moving the Wolves, but will be a new team:

http://www.ksdk.com/sports/could-the-bl ... /359281725

Official LGB Sponsor of EVERYTHING MACINNIS

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

bluenotekidd wrote:According to KSDK, the Blues could possibly be relocating their AHL affiliate to KC starting next season. It doesn't sound like they are moving the Wolves, but will be a new team:

I saw that too. I always wondered- what happens to the Chicago Wolves players' rights when the Blues change their affiliate? Are the Blues still allowed to call them up until their current contract ends? Or does the AHL team get a new NHL affiliate and they players now belong to that new team?

StL_Dan
Prospect
Prospect

Post by StL_Dan »

gaijin wrote:
bluenotekidd wrote:According to KSDK, the Blues could possibly be relocating their AHL affiliate to KC starting next season. It doesn't sound like they are moving the Wolves, but will be a new team:

I saw that too. I always wondered- what happens to the Chicago Wolves players' rights when the Blues change their affiliate? Are the Blues still allowed to call them up until their current contract ends? Or does the AHL team get a new NHL affiliate and they players now belong to that new team?
The Missouri Mavericks organization is denying the report:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nhl/ar ... 32533.html

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Looks like Dunn and Schmaltz are rolling pretty nicely, now that Schmaltz is playing again. Dunn is a +7 and Schmaltz has 3 points in 5 games and a plus rating. I'm wondering if the plan will be to trade Shattenkirk and recall one, then have the other in next year on the assumption the Golden Knights might take Bouwmeester.