GDT #1: 10/12/16 | 7:00PM CST | @ Blackhawks | NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: GDT #1: 10/12/16 | 7:00PM CST | @ Blackhawks | NBCSN/KMO

Post by StL Dan »

And, Johnny G goes O-fer and minus 2 in celebration of his new contract.
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Man, the Blues looked really, really good. I agree w/ theo and others on Yak: dude was speedy, but seemed clueless early on. You just wonder if he's never been properly coached in the NHL...but he started to gain a little confidence later on. The potential is there.

I thought Perron was really impressive especially considering the fact that he got plenty of time on the PK. He worked really well with Lehtera and Senko.

The jump that Petro made last year is still there...guy just radiates confidence and leadership.

Allen played really well even though he wasn't tested all that much. The 1st goal was on the PK when no one picked up the guy coming on the back side to clean up a rebound. The 2nd one was mostly on Bortuzzo.

Fabbri and Parayko were my big question marks...would they fall victim to a sophomore slump? Obviously it's only 1 game, but those guys just leap off the screen with the plays they make (in a good way). Hope they keep that rolling.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Much different game last night as opposed to game 1 of round one back in April. I always see such a difference between October when line chemistry isn't there vs. April when teams play tight. I was at the game last night of course and thought both teams were sloppy - also both clubs had a lot of roster turnover. Our 3rd and 4th lines are all new kids - at least for now. The game was decided on the 6 minute 5-on-3. Although we had a surge in the 3rd we couldn't put in the tying goal. Oh well - on to Nashville.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Hartman has a good showing.
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

dmiles2186 wrote:Allen played really well even though he wasn't tested all that much. The 1st goal was on the PK when no one picked up the guy coming on the back side to clean up a rebound.
Actually, Parayko had Panik tied up for all of about 1 second when the rebound went right to him. Good battle that Panik won at the right time. If that rebound goes anywhere else, Panik doesn't score. More of a lucky bounce, lucky timing thing than anything else.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:While we were busy beating Chicago 5-2, our former boy Elliott was getting lit up against Edmonton. Just sayin'.
And yet Ells gets a highlight reel on the front page of NHL.COM. Oh wait... no, that's Tarasenko, nvm :). And it's nice to see the -winning- goaltender have an .895 against Crawford's .906 :)

If you actually watched that game, like I did (it was a fun game to watch, btw), it was a total team failure for the Flames; couldn't stay out of the penalty box, couldn't get anything and yet scored 4 goals on the Oilers, a team that the Blues either bury or get buried by.

Seriously, you sound like you and Brian had a bitter breakup and you can't live it down. Let it go, man. Let it go :D.

And stop jinxing Jake. He gets hammered next game or goes down with an injury, it's entirely on you :).

Good win thanks to Tank. Take the win and the bragging rights that go with it, but even with a trumped down Hawks team, they still held their own and us until Tank decided to answer the call a few times. I don't know how to feel about that; could have went either way, but hey 1-0 at THEIR home. Rub it in Thursday is in effect.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Coach Bruce Boudreau will be making his regular-season debut for the Minnesota Wild when they play the St. Louis Blues at Scottrade Center on Thursday.

Boudreau was fired as coach of the Anaheim Ducks after last season, and replaced John Torchetti in Minnesota, who was fired after the season. He was 208-104-40 in four-plus seasons with the Ducks, but was more focused on the Blues, who opened Wednesday with a 5-2 win against the Chicago Blackhawks.

"They did control the puck and they're a good team," Boudreau said. "If you look at the history of the St. Louis Blues under Ken, that's the way they play. They're usually big players that have the puck and it's in the other team's zone whether they play Chicago or not."

Blues associate coach Mike Yeo will face his former team for the first time since being fired on Feb. 13. Yeo will replace Blues coach Ken Hitchcock, who is retiring after the season, for the 2017-18 season.

Yeo went 173-132-44 in four-plus seasons with the Wild, but was fired after a 1-11-2 streak.

"I would be a liar if I said that I wasn't aware of that game as soon as the schedule came out," Yeo said. "I think the fact that it was going to be a home opener was going to make it exciting enough, but then to have it be your former team, I think, adds a little more to the rivalry and to the excitement level.

"... You pour your heart and soul into something, and all of the sudden it's gone, for sure there's going to be a lot of emotion. Once that sting wore off and I had a chance to reflect and look back on it, I just have nothing but great memories now and gratitude."

Forwards Eric Staal and Teemu Pulkkinen will also make their debut for the Wild Thursday.

Staal, who spent the first 11-plus seasons with the Carolina Hurricanes before being traded to the New York Rangers on Feb. 28 last season, signed a three-year, $10.5 million contract.

"It feels like a long training camp and now watching some of the games last night, getting the season started for us tonight is great," Staal said. "I'm just looking forward to getting the ball rolling and having a great start to the season."

Pulkkinen, claimed off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, was on the team plane to St. Louis on Wednesday, fresh off of getting a crash course on his new team.

"It's been a crazy couple days, but at the same time, nothing too crazy," Pulkkinen said. "I flew into Minnesota and now with the team here. Now just play hockey. Nothing special."

Wild projected lineup

Zach Parise -- Eric Staal -- Charlie Coyle

Mikael Granlund -- Mikko Koivu -- Jason Pominville

Nino Niederreiter -- Erik Haula -- Chris Stewart

Jason Zucker -- Zac Dalpe -- Teemu Pulkkinen

Ryan Suter -- Jared Spurgeon

Marco Scandella -- Matt Dumba

Mike Reilly -- Jonas Brodin

Devan Dubnyk

Darcy Kuemper

Scratched: Christian Folin, Nate Prosser

Injured: None

Blues projected lineup

Robby Fabbri -- Paul Stastny -- Alexander Steen

David Perron -- Jori Lehtera -- Vladimir Tarasenko

Magnus Paajarvi -- Patrik Berglund -- Nail Yakupov

Scottie Upshall -- Kyle Brodziak -- Ryan Reaves

Jay Bouwmeester -- Alex Pietrangelo

Carl Gunnarsson -- Kevin Shattenkirk

Joel Edmundson -- Colton Parayko

Jake Allen

Carter Hutton

Scratched: Robert Bortuzzo, Ty Rattie, Dmitrij Jaskin

Injured: Jaden Schwartz (elbow)

Status report

Gunnarsson and Paajarvi will make their debuts Thursday; both were healthy scratches Wednesday in Chicago and will take the places of Bortuzzo and Jaskin, respectively. ... Allen will start on back-to-back days after making 17 saves Wednesday in Chicago.

Who's hot

Tarasenko, Shattenkirk and Stastny each had three points for the Blues Wednesday, with Tarasenko scoring two goals. Steen had two assists. ... Parise needs one more goal for 300 in his career.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

theohall wrote:
Coach Bruce Boudreau will be making his regular-season debut for the Minnesota Wild when they play the St. Louis Blues at Scottrade Center on Thursday.

Boudreau was fired as coach of the Anaheim Ducks after last season, and replaced John Torchetti in Minnesota, who was fired after the season. He was 208-104-40 in four-plus seasons with the Ducks, but was more focused on the Blues, who opened Wednesday with a 5-2 win against the Chicago Blackhawks.

"They did control the puck and they're a good team," Boudreau said. "If you look at the history of the St. Louis Blues under Ken, that's the way they play. They're usually big players that have the puck and it's in the other team's zone whether they play Chicago or not."

Blues associate coach Mike Yeo will face his former team for the first time since being fired on Feb. 13. Yeo will replace Blues coach Ken Hitchcock, who is retiring after the season, for the 2017-18 season.

Yeo went 173-132-44 in four-plus seasons with the Wild, but was fired after a 1-11-2 streak.

"I would be a liar if I said that I wasn't aware of that game as soon as the schedule came out," Yeo said. "I think the fact that it was going to be a home opener was going to make it exciting enough, but then to have it be your former team, I think, adds a little more to the rivalry and to the excitement level.

"... You pour your heart and soul into something, and all of the sudden it's gone, for sure there's going to be a lot of emotion. Once that sting wore off and I had a chance to reflect and look back on it, I just have nothing but great memories now and gratitude."

Forwards Eric Staal and Teemu Pulkkinen will also make their debut for the Wild Thursday.

Staal, who spent the first 11-plus seasons with the Carolina Hurricanes before being traded to the New York Rangers on Feb. 28 last season, signed a three-year, $10.5 million contract.

"It feels like a long training camp and now watching some of the games last night, getting the season started for us tonight is great," Staal said. "I'm just looking forward to getting the ball rolling and having a great start to the season."

Pulkkinen, claimed off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, was on the team plane to St. Louis on Wednesday, fresh off of getting a crash course on his new team.

"It's been a crazy couple days, but at the same time, nothing too crazy," Pulkkinen said. "I flew into Minnesota and now with the team here. Now just play hockey. Nothing special."

Wild projected lineup

Devan Dubnyk

Darcy Kuemper

Blues projected lineup

Jake Allen

Carter Hutton

Status report

Gunnarsson and Paajarvi will make their debuts Thursday; both were healthy scratches Wednesday in Chicago and will take the places of Bortuzzo and Jaskin, respectively. ... Allen will start on back-to-back days after making 17 saves Wednesday in Chicago.

Who's hot

Tarasenko, Shattenkirk and Stastny each had three points for the Blues Wednesday, with Tarasenko scoring two goals. Steen had two assists. ... Parise needs one more goal for 300 in his career.
Shouldn't this have it's own thread?
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Oaklandblue wrote:
theohall wrote:

Wild projected lineup

Devan Dubnyk

Darcy Kuemper

Blues projected lineup

Jake Allen

Carter Hutton

Status report

Who's hot

Shouldn't this have it's own thread?
Oops! :)

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

A total team failure? But isn't Ells supposed to bail out his team all the time?

Hey, I got Moose on my fantasy team, I'm just saying that when push comes to shove, put him on a team with a different system and he won't be as successful as he was on the Blues. Same reason Allen will be fine, same reason Hutton will be fine. This system is tailor made for goalie success, even with the increased emphasis on offense. I know 1 game is hardly a sample, but if we track Allen v Moose game by game, I would expect, 100%, Jake puts up better numbers.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:A total team failure? But isn't Ells supposed to bail out his team all the time?

Hey, I got Moose on my fantasy team, I'm just saying that when push comes to shove, put him on a team with a different system and he won't be as successful as he was on the Blues. Same reason Allen will be fine, same reason Hutton will be fine. This system is tailor made for goalie success, even with the increased emphasis on offense. I know 1 game is hardly a sample, but if we track Allen v Moose game by game, I would expect, 100%, Jake puts up better numbers.
And yet Elliott is on your Fantasy Team?

Your ideology makes absolutely no sense. Put any player on a team with a different system and they will struggle abit as they learn the system. Ask Yak about that.

Seriously, did you even think before and after you typed this post or is Jake Allen paying you under the table for posts like this?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:A total team failure? But isn't Ells supposed to bail out his team all the time?

And yet Elliott is on your Fantasy Team?

You're backpedalling abit here, pal. You've been all about how Jake Allen is The Heir Apparent and how awesome he will be when his time has come. Well, his time has come. One win, Sub .900 average. You speak so highly of the guy and then bury him with neat excuses about how awesome the team around him is, while going after Brian Elliott ALONE. Hypocrite.

Your ideology makes absolutely no sense. Put any player on a team with a different system and they will struggle abit as they learn the system. Ask Yak about that.

Increased emphasis on Offense... WHERE?! So far, like a lot of the time in seasons past, it's been the Frank Show. Without Backes or Brouwer around and with Jaden out of action, that doesn't sound a whole lot like "Increased Emphasis" unless you mean Perron and Yak... :shock:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Well by increased emphasis on offense I'm referencing what Muller tried to put together last season. Whether that continues this year remains to be seen, but probably not. I think the O will be fine and the D will take a step back, as you also said in the predictions thread.

As far as Elliott, I have never once said that I hate Ells. I get why he was traded, I disagree with the awful return but it is what it is now. Ells is a fine goalie, in the system. But so is Allen and so will be Hutton too. Everyone's freaking out about giving the reins to Allen, I say big deal. He's fine, he'll be fine. Everyone is saying Hutton is a weak replacement for Ells, but Ells was a nobody before he latched on in St. Louis. His numbers (like Allen's) are inflated because of the system. If you put Allen on Calgary, he probably does the same thing Ells did last night. But what's done is done and the complete disdain for Allen is only directed at him because of what Ells did last postseason. If Backes' pass doesn't go in off the defenders skate, maybe Chicago wins game 1 and we lose the series. Last postseason was a plethora of lucky bounces and timely injuries. A double post here, a deflection there and we beat Chicago. A Tyler Seguin injury and we beat Dallas. Make no mistake, we could have easily, EASILY lost both series' and we didn't win them because of Elliott.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024