With Backes gone, who is the new Captain?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Who should become the new Captain of the St. Louis Blues?

Pietrangelo
65%
Tarasenko
15%
Steen
15%
Parayko
No votes
Stastny
5%
Other (Write below)
No votes

Total votes: 20

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

With Backes gone, who is the new Captain?

Post by dmiles2186 »

What do you think?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Re: With Backes gone, who is the new Captain?

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Steve Ott

Sent from my R2 unit

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Gotta be Pietrangelo. I would consider Steen, but he's only signed for 1 more year and I'd rather give it to somebody in the young core.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

I voted Steen - you go with the veteran

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Why not Tarasenko?

1) His focus is the Cup - evidenced by all his interviews when asked how big a win was. His reply was always "blah blah about the nice win. We want a Cup for our fans."
2) Isn't afraid to be pissed at the coach and let it show, when necessary.

Why not Taraseko?
1) It seems like his effort is missing sometimes on the ice. (That's the only one I can think of).

What we don't know - how are these guys "in the room" and communicating between the coaches and the players to keep the team on the same page. I have no idea and I doubt anyone else here does. That is one thing Backes did as a leader. I have no clue whose capable of doing that on the current roster given how Hitchcock is on leaders - as in he's usually harder on them, because he expects more of them.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Pie isn't a veteran?

Sent from my R2 unit

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

What I think and what I want are two different things.

I think it'll be Tarasenko, which in a sense is also what I want. But I don't think it's necessary for the best player on the team to be the captain. I always thought Jamal Mayers would have been a fantastic captain. I do think Tarasenko hasn't been around near long enough to justify giving him the C.

My preference would be to give it to Pie. He really busted ass in the postseason this year, moreso than most guys who are still on the team. Tarasenko disappeared when we needed him the most against San Jose, but Pie chugged on. Give him the C, no doubt.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Pietrangelo has been a Captain at lower levels and an alternate captain for the Team Canada World Junior team - so..... yeah, Pietrangelo.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

glen a richter wrote: I think it'll be Tarasenko, which in a sense is also what I want.
No way - at least not with Hitch as coach. That was not cool how Tank showed up his coach after that one game in round 1. He should have handled it privately with the coach. You can't disrespect your leader in public.
glen a richter wrote: Tarasenko disappeared when we needed him the most against San Jose.
Russian players guys - I've said it for awhile - see it too much and I'm not fan of the system that brings these guys up. Disappearing acts seem to be the norm and we've had plenty of them in Chicago as well over the years.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

C-Pietrangelo
A-Steen
A-Tarasenko
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

No one. Honor Backes, like the Blues did with Drake when he went to the enemy. We wouldn't want to dishonor anyone by moving forward as an organization.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Is Brewer available?
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:No one. Honor Backes, like the Blues did with Drake when he went to the enemy. We wouldn't want to dishonor anyone by moving forward as an organization.
Eh that's weak. You don't need to honor him - he chose to sign elsewhere so one could say he didn't honor the Blues by leaving. You move forward and give it to someone else who's been a leader for the team and is staying. I would go with the veteran Steen.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Kerfuffle wrote:
TSUCookieMonster wrote:No one. Honor Backes, like the Blues did with Drake when he went to the enemy. We wouldn't want to dishonor anyone by moving forward as an organization.
Eh that's weak. You don't need to honor him - he chose to sign elsewhere so one could say he didn't honor the Blues by leaving. You move forward and give it to someone else who's been a leader for the team and is staying. I would go with the veteran Steen.
Better tune up that sarcasm radar, bud.

Also, Steen is an UFA after this year. He's the elder statesman, sure, but I don't know that they'd slap the coveted 'C' on someone that could be gone within the calendar year.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

Toasted Oates wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
Better tune up that sarcasm radar, bud.

Also, Steen is an UFA after this year. He's the elder statesman, sure, but I don't know that they'd slap the coveted 'C' on someone that could be gone within the calendar year.
[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Toasted Oates wrote: Better tune up that sarcasm radar, bud.

Are you really advocating to have no captain next season because you think it's better for Backes to be 'honored' by no one filling that role?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:

Are you really advocating to have no captain next season because you think it's better for Backes to be 'honored' by no one filling that role?
The original post suggesting it was tongue in cheek making fun of us doing it when we traded Brewer to TB midseason.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Kerfuffle wrote:

Right over the head. :facepalm:
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Pie all day long. No one else even comes close.

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

Kerfuffle wrote:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Unbelievable