GDT Game 6: 5/25/16 | 8:00PM CST | @ Sharks | NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 6: 5/25/16 | 8:00PM CST | @ Sharks | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

Chatzy here: http://us19.chatzy.com/79826077640952
Game 6: BLUES at SHARKS

Western Conference Final

San Jose leads best-of-7 series 3-2

TV: 9 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

The San Jose Sharks can advance to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time with a win against the St. Louis Blues in Game 6 of the Western Conference Final at SAP Center on Wednesday.

It is the Blues' third elimination game of the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs. They defeated the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 7 of first round and the Dallas Stars in Game 7 of the second round.

Game 7 of this series would be Friday in St. Louis.

"I think we've shown that throughout the season and throughout these playoffs we never give up," Blues defenseman Carl Gunnarsson said Tuesday. "We keep coming no matter if we're down, if we're up. We never give up. There's still a chance. If we take this one tomorrow, then we bring it back home, [and] the ball is in our court again."

Coach Ken Hitchcock will change the Blues goaltender for the second time this series. Brian Elliott, who started the first 17 playoff games, will return to the net after backing up Jake Allen the past two games. Allen started a 6-3 win in Game 4 at SAP Center on Saturday and a 6-3 loss in Game 5 at Scottrade Center on Monday.

Elliott is 9-8 with a 2.34 goals-against average and .925 save percentage. Allen is 1-1 with a 2.49 GAA and .897 save percentage.

"We've seen them both," Sharks coach Peter DeBoer said. "They made multiple lineup changeups through the series. That doesn't play any role on us and what we're doing."

Special teams have had a big impact in the series. In the Sharks' two losses, they were 0-for-8 on the power play and 3-for-6 on the penalty kill. They also gave up a shorthanded goal.

In wins in Games 2 and 5, the Sharks went 4-for-8 on the power play and 8-for-8 on the penalty kill. In San Jose's Game 3 win, neither team had a power-play goal.

The Sharks trailed 3-2 before winning Game 5, and defenseman Paul Martin said their confidence is high.

"Last game was a big game for us," Martin said. "We needed to establish our presence and how we want to play a game and what makes our team successful. ... To claw back and play our game and stick with it showed the character that I think we have and the depth we have."

Blues team scope: Hitchcock said a key for St. Louis will be to stay calm and keep from becoming too emotional, something they weren't able to do Monday. "We got caught even amped up killing penalties," Hitchcock said. "We gave up two power-play goals because we were just overly aggressive. We gave up some 3-on-3 scoring chances because we were overly aggressive. If we can calm that down a little bit, be a little more patient ... the next couple of games, I like our chances." Hitchcock made multiple changes to his lineup and lines in Games 3 and 4 in San Jose, but it's not known whether he'll make changes other than the goaltender for Game 6. Forward Scottie Upshall, who played the first 16 games, has been scratched the past three because of an upper-body injury but has been skating and was on the ice for warmups in Games 4 and 5.

Sharks team scope: DeBoer hasn't made a change in San Jose's lineup or lines since Game 7 of the second round against the Nashville Predators, and he'll likely stand pat again. The only reason he made a change then was because third-line wing Matt Nieto sustained an upper-body injury in Game 6 and couldn't play. Nieto continues to skate but likely will miss his seventh straight game. The Sharks are 6-2 at home but lost Game 4 of this series at SAP Center.
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Patrick Marleau has played more than 1,500 games with the San Jose Sharks since joining the NHL as an 18-year-old draft pick but never one quite like the next one.

All those past playoff disappointments that have seemed to define the career of players like Marleau and Joe Thornton could be put to the side temporarily with one more San Jose win.

For the first time in 25 seasons as an NHL franchise, the Sharks are just one win away from making the Stanley Cup final. San Jose takes a 3-2 lead over St. Louis in the Western Conference final into Game 6 on Wednesday night in what should be a frenzied Shark Tank.

"It's nice," Marleau said Tuesday. "It's not our final goal but it's as far as we've been so it's good that way. There's still a lot to go."

For more than a decade, the Sharks have been known as much for their postseason failures as their regular-season success. San Jose has the second-most wins and has played in the second-most playoff series since the start of the 2003-04 season but has fallen short every spring.

The Sharks won just three total games in their first three trips to the conference final, lost an opening series as the top seed in 2009 and most memorably became the fourth NHL team ever to lose a best-of-seven series after winning the first three games against Los Angeles in 2014.

The Sharks then hit what they called rock bottom last year when they missed the playoffs for the first time since 2003 but rebounded this season under first-year coach Peter DeBoer and a core anchored by players like Thornton, Marleau, captain Joe Pavelski, Logan Couture and Marc-Edouard Vlasic that have spent years trying to bring a title to San Jose.

"It would be huge," Marleau said. "It's something I've always wanted to do here for the fans and the Bay Area. They have been supporting us over the years and they deserve it."

After winning Game 5 in St. Louis 6-3 on Monday night, they returned home to the excitement of a possible clincher. While the Blues are making another goalie switch, putting Brian Elliott back in net after going with Jake Allen the past two games, and figuring out how to get top goal scorer Vladimir Tarasenko back on his game after being shut down for five games, the focus for the Sharks is simpler.

They just want to stick to their game and not let thoughts of the prize ahead distract them.

"You just try to stay in the moment and not think too much about it," Marleau said. "Just control what you can control. That's the biggest thing and knowing that you're in it with 20 other guys trying to do the same thing. That gives you a little extra boost."

The Blues hope the move back to Elliott gives them a boost. Elliott started the first 17 games of the playoffs before coach Ken Hitchcock went to Allen in Game 4 in San Jose.

St. Louis won that game 6-3 to tie the series at two games apiece but Allen gave up four goals on 25 shots Monday night. That led to Hitchcock changing again to Elliott, who stopped 62 of 65 shots in St. Louis' Game 7 wins over Chicago and Dallas earlier in the playoffs.

"We needed a jolt to get back in the series and we got it," Hitchcock said. "Unfortunately we didn't get the win yesterday, but this has been Brian's playoffs and we'd like him to finish the job."

More importantly, the Blues would like to get Tarasenko going. He scored 40 goals in the regular season and had 13 points in 14 games the first two rounds but has been completely shut down by Vlasic and San Jose's defense in the conference final.

Tarasenko has a -4 rating for the series and has managed only four shots on goal the past three games.

"What happens with goal-scorers when they get frustrated is they look to hit home runs," Hitchcock said. "We need him just to act like a worker. I know that's a funny thing to say, but he's looking for the home run."
Your pregame music

Your pregame motivational speech

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT Game 6: 5/25/16 | 8:00PM CST | @ Sharks | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

Win. Win win win win win.

It's sickening to think another team who has been around less time than the Blues is on the verge of playing for the Cup.

:letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues:

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Let's. Effing. Go. Blues.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

In a round-about way, the Sharks are effectively the reincarnation of the California Golden Seals, so although they've only been around since '91 the history of the franchise goes all the way back to the Expansion Six. It'll be a flipping bummer if they win the Cup this year because it could then be argued, on a technicality, that the Blues are officially the last Expansion Six club without a Cup, not just the last of the actual five teams that survived without one.

I'm afraid that after tonight, we'll remain Cupless.

Sharks 5
Blues 2
Post-mortem to follow tomorrow morning.
:(
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Just win, please. No reason to leave anything in the tank now.

:goblues: :letsgoblues:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

ecbm wrote:Just win, please. No reason to leave anything in the tank now.

Pun intended?

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Stuff like this bothers me too. Far more than I'd like to admit, too.

I frakking hate the Sharks.

LET'S GO BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUES
glen a richter wrote:In a round-about way, the Sharks are effectively the reincarnation of the California Golden Seals, so although they've only been around since '91 the history of the franchise goes all the way back to the Expansion Six. It'll be a flipping bummer if they win the Cup this year because it could then be argued, on a technicality, that the Blues are officially the last Expansion Six club without a Cup, not just the last of the actual five teams that survived without one.

Sharks 5
Blues 2
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

midgensa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by midgensa »

At least I was given an excuse to listen to Seven Nation Army about ten times at work!

Elliott has been brilliant for two games before. That is what we need now. The Sharks are relentless. They are going to pepper the goal ... we just need to stop em. Sound simple enough!

Let's. Go. Blues!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

gaijin wrote:

Pun intended?
Not originally, but there's no reason for Tank to leave anything in the tank, especially.

:blueflagrocket:

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

ecbm wrote:
gaijin wrote:

Pun intended?
Not originally, but there's no reason for Tank to leave anything in the tank, especially.

:blueflagrocket:
A couple thoughts.
  1. *Tank won't leave anything left in teh tank in the "Shark Tank". I'm certain of that. What I'm not certain of is how much is in Tank's tank to start with.
  2. *I would maybe leave a deuce in the tank, but that's ss's job so I will abstain for the time present. If for some reason the blues lose and I was in SJ, I'd leave 'em an upper-decker.
  3. *Hopefully the whole team doesn't tank like Nashville did. Good Gawd that was fugly.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I have no idea which Blues team we're going to see tonight. I alternate between super nervous and super somber that tonight could be the night that this incredible run ends. Thinking about it today, there have been more postseason highlights this year than there have been in the last decade and a half combined. I'm trying to embrace that aspect of it should tonight be the end.

That said, the Blues certainly can win the next two games. I know they can...just gotta flip that switch.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:In a round-about way, the Sharks are effectively the reincarnation of the California Golden Seals, so although they've only been around since '91 the history of the franchise goes all the way back to the Expansion Six. It'll be a flipping bummer if they win the Cup this year because it could then be argued, on a technicality, that the Blues are officially the last Expansion Six club without a Cup, not just the last of the actual five teams that survived without one.

Sharks 5
Blues 2
I hate to disappoint you, but the Blues ARE the only Second Six team without a Cup, existing or otherwise; The Seals franchise -merged- with Minny, moved to Dallas and won the Cup there. It's shared but it amounts to the same thing.

If the Sharks lose this series, it will embed the curse down here that can only be reversed in some eyes with the team moving to Oakland. Their owner is looking for a larger stadium to play in and ironically Oracle Arena has been brought up here and there over the past year or so; that's where the Seals played.

Upshall is back, Ott is benched, Moose is in goal. As negative and pessimistic as I have been, I would like to point out that the last two series we played, we went seven games and were against the wall twice akin to where we are at now. I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic about tonight's game. The fate of this game rests on our guys. They have to want it. They are more than good enough to win. What they do tonight decides the future of this franchise. They're not playing for just a win tonight, they are playing to break a curse, to make a statement and to change the reputation of a cursed team. If that's not enough for them to destroy the Teal Army, I don't know what else can be said or done. All there is to it.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Minnesota was also split, sort of, in two via the dispersal draft, rendering Dallas and San Jose as two separate identities of the same team.

Semantics aside, I hope like crazy, as we all do, that the Blues pull this sucker off. It would be a huge symbolic victory in a post-season where they've pushed aside all the negativity of the last three postseasons and proven that they can bust down that wall and come up with the big wins when it matters. I don't know about beating San Jose two in a row though. They have just as much hunger to advance to the SCF and they have the benefit of only needing one of the next two to do it. All the pressure is on the Blues right now. What would help a lot is if 91 got his act together and caught up on lost production today and Friday by potting a couple of hat tricks. I think the Sharks will be hitting anything that moves tonight, intent to injure being a game plan on their parts, to make sure they don't lose, and if they do lose tonight to make sure they don't lose on Friday. All the big guns better have their heads on a swivel, and that'll be a big problem heading late into the game if they're down early.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Every time I've predicted a pivotal game this postseason to go a certain way the opposite has happened. Without further adieu...

Blues 1
Sharks 5

You're all welcome. You can thank me later.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

After sitting through all this hyping up of San Jose and them finally breaking through I hope they let it go to their heads and play a clunker.

I mean, eff you Sharks, we've been waiting way longer.

In the event our season ends tonight I'd love nothing more than to see the Sharks swept brutally by either the Pens or Bolts. their goalie hasn't really impressed me and I think either team in the east would light him up.

Meanwhile, let's get a Game 7!

:goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues:

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

What did the crowd chant right before the national anthem? It sounded like "you suck". Or did I completely miss it?

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Well that was unfortunate...

:facepalm:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

I mean htf do you let Jumbo Joe get away for a breakaway?

:doh:

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Not Elliott's fault on that one - no D came to help on that and he's at an disadvantage cause he can't turn around

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

The lack of anything against that line is just stupid.

Sent from my R2 unit