GDT Game 3: 5/19/16 | 8:00PM CST | @ Sharks | NBCSN/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 3: 5/19/16 | 8:00PM CST | @ Sharks | NBCSN/Y98

Post by dmiles2186 »

Chatzy here: http://us19.chatzy.com/79826077640952
Game 3: BLUES at SHARKS

Western Conference Final

Best-of-7 series tied 1-1

TV: 9 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

SAN JOSE -- The St. Louis Blues are likely to make some lineup changes for Game 3 of the Western Conference Final against the San Jose Sharks at SAP Center on Thursday.

The Blues and Sharks headed west after they split two games at Scottrade Center: St. Louis won 2-1 in Game 1 but lost 4-0 in Game 2 on Tuesday.

St. Louis coach Ken Hitchcock wasn't happy with the way his team played in either game.

"I think changing your lineup has a real impact," Hitchcock said Wednesday before the Blues left for San Jose. "There can't be any emotion in the coaches' decisions at this time. You have to do what's best for your team. One of the greatest things we've had going through injuries is flexibility. That's really helped us in the playoffs.

"You put the numbers up on the board and guys haven't gotten all shook up because they're on different lines because they've played on those lines before. ... I don't know if we've been lucky or we've been experienced, but we've made adjustments all playoffs and every one of them has worked. We're probably going to have to make a few more tomorrow and hopefully they work."

Hitchcock declined to reveal any potential changes. One possible move would be to have either Ryan Reaves or Dmitrij Jaskin replace Steve Ott on the fourth line. Reaves has appeared in five playoff games and Jaskin two; each was a healthy scratch in Games 1 and 2.

Ott took a penalty in each game against San Jose and had no points and two shots on goal. He has one point, an assist, in nine playoff games this spring.

If Hitchcock makes a change on the blue line, Robert Bortuzzo would likely replace rookie Joel Edmundson. Bortuzzo has appeared in four playoff games; Edmundson has played 13. He has one goal and a minus-3 rating.

Hitchcock split up Jaden Schwartz, Vladimir Tarasenko and center Jori Lehtera at times against the Dallas Stars in the second round, but the "STL Line" was back together for Games 1 and 2 against the Sharks. There's always a chance that line could be part of a shuffle again for Game 3, with Lehtera trading places with third-line center Alexander Steen.

Sharks coach Peter DeBoer said he had "no idea" whether Hitchcock would make changes.

"I don't profess to coach Hitch's team," DeBoer said, smiling. "He might [profess to coach] mine once in a while."

DeBoer has made only a handful of lineup changes during the playoffs and typically has stood pat after a victory.

Third-line left wing Matt Nieto remains day-to-day with an undisclosed injury he sustained in Game 6 of the second round against the Nashville Predators. He has been skating but didn't play in the first two games against St. Louis.

Blues team scope: The Blues had what Hitchcock described as a "real good meeting" in St. Louis before traveling to San Jose. "We'll be much better [Thursday]," Hitchcock said. His advice to the Blues was to go from "furious to curious" in a hurry. "You're always disappointed and angry when you lose, you're driving home," he said. "The next morning you better be curious and looking for things you can fix. We were able to do that right away [Wednesday] morning."

Sharks team scope: The Sharks went 18-20-3 at home during the regular season, but they've recaptured their home-ice edge in the playoffs, going 5-1 through two rounds and 4-0 against Nashville. "We've been very good at home through the playoffs," DeBoer said. "I think we're comfortable here at home. We said it after the Nashville series: If you got a Game 7, you would rather play at home. I think that was a big help for us. We don't have home ice advantage in this series, but by getting that split, we do now. We've got to take advantage of it." That might not be easy: St. Louis is 5-2 on the road during the playoffs, including a Game 7 win at the Dallas Stars in the second round.
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- When Peter DeBoer took over as coach in San Jose one of the first tasks he wanted to complete was making sure the Sharks were more than just a power-play team.

Improved depth and 5-on-5 play helped get San Jose back to the postseason after missing it a year ago, but come playoff time that power play has served as an impressive weapon and a barometer for the team's success.

One game after getting shut out on the man advantage, the Sharks struck twice following St. Louis penalties in a 4-0 win Tuesday night that tied the series at one game apiece heading into Game 3 on Thursday in San Jose.

"It creates momentum for us," DeBoer said Wednesday. "I think that's what you're looking to do with your special teams both ways, is create momentum. I think when our power play scores, that creates momentum. I think when we kill penalties like we did last night, like that four-minute penalty, I think that creates momentum the other way for us. That's what you're looking to do as a coach, is get momentum out of your special teams. I think that does that for us."

The Sharks lead the NHL with 15 power-play goals this postseason and their 30 percent success rate is tops among all teams that have played more than one round. San Jose is 13-for-32 on the power play in nine playoff wins, compared to 2-for-18 in its five losses.

With a five-man top unit that has years of experience together, San Jose is a finely tuned unit. Joe Thornton is the playmaker, spending most of his time along the half-boards or behind the net. He has plenty of options.

Brent Burns scored both power-play goals in Game 2 off one-timers that St. Louis goalie Brian Elliott had little chance to save. Captain Joe Pavelski led the team with 12 power-play goals in the regular season, with many coming on deflections in front of the net or rebounds. Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau bring versatility with the ability to create plays for teammates or score on big shots of their own.

"Our power play's pretty free-flowing," Thornton said. "Really just can't key on one guy. We got five guys that can hurt you. I think for us it's just the way you move around, it's really hard to defend."

The Blues managed to neutralize the Sharks in Game 1 when they killed all three power plays in a 2-1 victory. They were short-handed five times in Game 2, including a slash behind the play by Troy Brouwer that led to the Sharks' second goal of the game and an interference call on Steve Ott for hitting Pavelski from behind when the puck was not in the area.

"The penalties you don't like at this time of year are reactionary penalties," coach Ken Hitchcock. `We had two reactionary penalties yesterday, one in the first game. Those are the ones you don't like. Doesn't matter who takes them, veterans, rookies. That's a sign that the other team has a little bit of an advantage, they're making you react to anything happening on the ice. Those are the ones you don't like."

The other big difference in Game 2 was that the Blues failed to take advantage of their power-play chances. After getting a man-advantage goal from captain David Backes to open the scoring in Game 1, St. Louis went 0-for-6 on the power play Tuesday night, including a weak four-minute chance early in the third period when Marleau was called for a high-sticking penalty and the Sharks lead was only 2-0.

San Jose used 13 of its 18 skaters for more than a minute of penalty-killing time with top defensive pair Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Justin Braun each spending more than 5 minutes on the ice with the Sharks short-handed.

The Blues managed 12 shots on the power play but were unable to beat Martin Jones as the Sharks did a good job controlling rebounds and keeping St. Louis to the outside.

"You want to use the power play to get momentum," forward Robby Fabbri said. "Last night we didn't execute on any of them. Just the way some games go. We got to stay confident and go with our next chances."

Game notes
Hitchcock said he plans to tinker with his lineup for Game 3 but gave no specifics. ... DeBoer said Thornton looked fine Wednesday after taking a slash on his left hand from Jay Bouwmeester during the game.
Your pregame music

Your pregame motivational speech

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT Game 3: 5/19/16 | 8:00PM CST | @ Sharks | NBCSN/Y98

Post by abc789987 »

Only 12 hours till puck drop... Today is going to be a long day.

LETS. GO. BLUES.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Not a must-win per se. But, a "must-not-play-like-game-2." We need to get 1 in SJ, doesn't have to be tonight. What's important is that we rebound from game 2. That can't be the tone of the series.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

You bet this is a must win! And it's probably better we lost game 2 so ingloriously rather than losing a well played game. Lots for the players to be angry with themselves about results in a flip of the script.

Blues 4
Sharks 0
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Not a must-win per se. But, a "must-not-play-like-game-2." We need to get 1 in SJ, doesn't have to be tonight. What's important is that we rebound from game 2. That can't be the tone of the series.
I'm with you on this. Just play better. Control the game...retain possession, get quality chances, and then let the chips fall where they may. Obviously, I want to get a win here and have a chance to go up 3-1, but fact is, we need a split. Just give yourselves a fighting chance for that.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote:What's important is that we rebound from game 2.
Agreed. If the Blues play the way they've done when they have been really good in these playoffs then that is the key to game 3, more so than the outcome. If they play hard and look good but still lose to San Jose then you tip your hats. But at least you know you gave it your all. Nothing is more painful in losing when you know you didn't play with the intensity and hunger that you know the team is capable of. You guys rebounded nicely in game 7 against us after a debacle in game 6 so the team has shown it can respond. They need to do the same tonight.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Tighten up on discipline and skate hard-good things will happen. I would suggest that it may work well to encourage the squad to approach this as a must-win so as to avoid facing an actual must-win game 4. Just sayin'...

Still waiting for 91 to take over a game. Tonight would be great...

:goblues: :letsgoblues:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Everything that needs to be said has been said.

:goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues:

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Let's get in there and (Frank) some shit up. LETS GO BLUES.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Here's to hoping we just plain show up and let the chips fall where they may. Although it would be nice to San Jose have a terrible, off game and look like we did last game to swing a little of the buzz our way.

:goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

ecbm wrote:Tighten up on discipline and skate hard-good things will happen. I would suggest that it may work well to encourage the squad to approach this as a must-win so as to avoid facing an actual must-win game 4. Just sayin'...

Still waiting for 91 to take over a game. Tonight would be great...

:goblues: :letsgoblues:
I fear 91 is a little distracted with the birth of his first child.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

Paarjvi is playing tonight? Got to question this decision.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

tjk002 wrote:Paarjvi is playing tonight? Got to question this decision.

Well, that's odd. It'll be a different look though. So, maybe it will work? Not sure this is how I would have went though.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

tjk002 wrote:Paarjvi is playing tonight? Got to question this decision.
I'm ok with that. Jaskin or Magnus is better than Ott.
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I fail to see how this isn't a must win. The only games that aren't must wins are pre-season games and those games towards the end of the season where you've already locked up a playoff spot and there's no way you can move up or down, and no way your opponent winning can affect who you end up playing in the first round. In the post-season, the concept of "must-win" is amplified. If you don't win, you lose. If you lose, you start to dig unnecessary holes that you now have to climb out of. If they lose tonight, there's zero reason to believe that San Jose isn't teeming with confidence going into game 4, also in their barn, after the beatdown they applied in game 2. A 2-1 deficit quickly becomes a 3-1 deficit, which quickly becomes a tee-time, once again.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:I fail to see how this isn't a must win. The only games that aren't must wins are pre-season games and those games towards the end of the season where you've already locked up a playoff spot and there's no way you can move up or down, and no way your opponent winning can affect who you end up playing in the first round. In the post-season, the concept of "must-win" is amplified. If you don't win, you lose. If you lose, you start to dig unnecessary holes that you now have to climb out of. If they lose tonight, there's zero reason to believe that San Jose isn't teeming with confidence going into game 4, also in their barn, after the beatdown they applied in game 2. A 2-1 deficit quickly becomes a 3-1 deficit, which quickly becomes a tee-time, once again.
I look at games 3 and 4 as a group. We need to win 1 game in San Jose, but I don't think it has to be tonight. If we win game 4 and come back 2-2, that's a success. In that sense tonight isn't a "must" win. Doesn't mean it's an unimportant game. But, we can recover from a loss. Losing tonight would make game 4 a must win though.

What's important to me is that we don't repeat game 2. If we do, I won't have confidence in this series. Game 2 reminded me of years past when other teams "solved" us in the playoffs. I want them to show us that game 2 was a fluke and not that we've been "out-gameplanned."

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

cardsfan04 wrote:
What's important to me is that we don't repeat game 2. If we do, I won't have confidence in this series. Game 2 reminded me of years past when other teams "solved" us in the playoffs. I want them to show us that game 2 was a fluke and not that we've been "out-gameplanned."
:plusplus:

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

It also looks like Bortuzzo is back in which will likely move Shattenkirk to the left. He can tinker with the 4th line every night for all I care. However, I won't let Ken Hitchcock ruin this game before it starts. As much as Ken is trying to put his fingerprints on this contest, it will come down to the top 9 forwards and the goalie.

Get a win, boys.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

You know what would be better than going home 2-2? Going home 3-1. If the players have the attitude that a split is okay, they don't belong in the playoffs. Win, win more, and then win some more on top of that. This is the Western Conference Flippin' Finals. Winner gets a crack at the Cup and every single game should be treated as a must win. Every loss is breathing room for the opposition, and the object in the playoffs is to choke them out, not give them extra oxygen.

That said, if Bortuzzo is in and Edmundson is out, I may reconsider my earlier prediction of a 4-0 Blues win. Edmundson out/Shatty on the wrong side has been a recipe for losing all 3 times it's materialized in the line up. I don't know what in the world Hitch is thinking unless he moves someone else to the other side. Leave Shatty where he is.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Please don't give up an early goal...