GDT Game 6: 5/9/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Stars | NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 6: 5/9/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Stars | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

Chatzy here: http://us19.chatzy.com/79826077640952
Game 6: STARS at BLUES

Western Conference Second Round

St. Louis leads best-of-7 series 3-2

TV: 8 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

If the St. Louis Blues win Game 6 of their Western Conference Second Round series against the Dallas Stars at Scottrade Center on Monday, they will advance to the Western Conference Final for the first time since 2001, but their focus doesn't include a broad picture.

"It doesn't really change much," Blues forward Alexander Steen said. "We expect their best and obviously we're going to bring ours and it's going to be a heck of a hockey game again. It's no real different situation. We've got to win another hockey game."

Blues defenseman Carl Gunnarsson said the mindset is positive heading into Monday.

"I think we feel really good," Gunnarsson said. "We've been in this situation before so we know what we have to do a little bit different than last time. We've got a good feeling in the group right now."

If the Stars want to keep their season alive, they'll have to do so without center Tyler Seguin.

The Stars departed for St. Louis on Sunday without one of their top players, who continues to battle a lower-body injury that has kept him out since Game 2 of the Western Conference First Round against the Minnesota Wild.

Despite the Stars missing one of their key offensive weapons, coach Lindy Ruff maintains his team's confidence level is high.

"I'm confident. These guys, they've given us everything they've had all year and we've had some tough situations, and they'll pull out of it," Ruff said. "I think the thing I'm confident about is the way we played last night gives us a heck of an opportunity to go in and win a game. Just duplicate that and get a little bit of puck luck and things may go our way."

Stars team scope: Forward Patrick Eaves (lower body) could play; he has not played since being hit by teammate Stephen Johns' shot in Game 1. "We hope he can play," center Jason Spezza said of Eaves. "He's been a big part of our team." Captain Jamie Benn said Eaves' addition would be critical. "He adds a lot," Benn said. "He's a great veteran player for this team. He seems to be great for us in the slot on the power play. It's just a simple, hardworking game with him." After scoring nine points (four goals, five assists) in the first round against the Wild, Spezza has three assists in five games against the Blues.

Blues team scope: Forward Dmitrij Jaskin, who made his Stanley Cup Playoff debut in Game 5 on Saturday and scored his first postseason winning goal, is likely to remain in the lineup, coach Ken Hitchcock said. "Yep. He was good," Hitchcock said. "We'll see ... see what he brings. But I liked the line, I liked the way they played. Obviously a big goal. Jaskin is a heavy player in a different way than [Ryan] Reaves. Reaves has got more physicality all over the ice and Jaskin's physicality is at the puck. So I think it kept us in the zone a little bit more, bought us some momentum. I thought it was a very, very effective line." Right wing Troy Brouwer has seven points in the playoffs (four goals, three assists), all in the past seven games.
(AP) -- - Brian Elliott's postseason play is the biggest reason the St. Louis Blues are one win away from their first appearance in the Western Conference final since 2001.

Game after game, the goalie has been handled the pressure.

Protecting a two-goal lead in Game 5 at Dallas on Saturday, the 31-year-old Elliott came up big when needed. The key stop among the 12 saves he made in the third period was thwarting Cody Eakin alone in front of the net.

''Just poised,'' forward Alexander Steen said Sunday. ''Just comes across, makes himself big, stops the puck. And it's like, it's business as usual, get the puck and go the other way.''

The Blues have played two long series and Elliott has been there all the way, giving him league highs in minutes (762:03) and saves (384) in 12 games. Elliott seized the job down the stretch of the regular season after Jake Allen was sidelined by injury, and a healthy Allen now can only watch and marvel along with the rest of the team.

''If we take care of second opportunities, he's a guy that smothers pucks,'' forward Scottie Upshall said. ''He's flexible, he sees the ice well and he's very underrated playing the puck.''

After ending longstanding postseason frustration by eliminating the defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks in the first round, the Blues can close out Dallas at home Monday night.

Coach Ken Hitchcock cautions not to make too much of Saturday's 4-1 victory. The Blues seemingly seized control of the series with a 6-1 rout in Game 3, and then the Stars bounced back with an overtime victory in St. Louis to tie the series at two games.

St. Louis has had standing-room crowds throughout the playoffs. Still, the road team has won two straight and three of five in the series.

The Blues are at their best with relentless forechecking and physical play counteracting a faster opponent. The Stars aren't likely to panic, realizing they dictated much of the pace in Game 5, but lacked favorable bounces.

''We pretty well played close to our best game, we just didn't finish,'' Stars coach Lindy Ruff said Sunday. ''There's some puck luck in the game and they had all the puck luck.''

Hitchcock got mileage out of a few lineup changes and juggling lines early on in Game 5, but made no promises about sticking with a winning combination. Dmitrij Jaskin stepped up in his first game of the postseason, showing great hands on a second-chance goal and gives St. Louis more skill than agitators Ryan Reaves and Steve Ott.

''Everything is from feel, how I feel when I get up in the morning or think it through tonight when I get rid of you folks,'' Hitchcock told reporters. ''I don't rest on keeping every routine the same.''

Dallas forward Tyler Seguin (lower body) isn't making the trip to St. Louis, although forward Patrick Eaves (leg) could return for Game 6 after missing four games. Ruff has scratched Colton Sceviour, who got the lone goal in Game 3, in the past two games preferring a larger lineup to counteract the Blues.
Your pregame music

Your pregame motivational speech

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT Game 6: 5/9/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Stars | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

Finish it up tonight! Is it 7:00 yet?

:letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I really don't want game 7 to exist, especially back in their barn. Play like game 3, please.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

They'll get it done tonight.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

cprice12 wrote:They'll get it done tonight.
I'm buzzin' big time...can't wait for face off....

:cup:
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

keep-calm-and-finish-them.png
keep-calm-and-finish-them.png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 14489 times
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

FINISH THEM.

Handshakes tonight boys. Lets. Go. Blues.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

So it's either Blues vs Tampa in the SCF or Blues vs Pittsburgh now. This current series is over and the 3rd round should be your easiest as neither Nashville or San Jose are contenders. I'm just shocked that Tampa has done this without Stamkos.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

No pressure, right? :mrgreen:

:goblues: :letsgoblues:

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

ecbm wrote:No pressure, right? :mrgreen:

:goblues: :letsgoblues:
Not sure I like the blue guy being on the ropes here, but agree with the sentiment. :okman:
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Kerfuffle wrote:So it's either Blues vs Tampa in the SCF or Blues vs Pittsburgh now. This current series is over and the 3rd round should be your easiest as neither Nashville or San Jose are contenders. I'm just shocked that Tampa has done this without Stamkos.
This is a trap.

The Blues are 3-3 at home this post season. They have something to prove, but it never...comes...easy.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

StL Dan wrote:The Blues are 3-3 at home this post season.
Which brings me to a question I've been pondering. IF they get by the stars, the Blues would have home-ice advantage over any remaining team in the other than the Caps, correct? I think that's right. None of the other teams won their division and the Blues finished with more points than all of them but this new seeding system has thrown me a couple times so I don't want to assume too much...

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/15482 ... s-injuries

Seriously? Another article? This guy has to be the most discussed 4th liner/healthy scratch ever. I don't get it.

:facepalm:

HEY, NATIONAL MEDIA: THIS GUY WAS A THROW-IN IN THE MILLER TRADE. HE'S NEVER BEEN A SIGNIFICANTLY PRODUCTIVE PART OF THIS TEAM.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

ecbm wrote:
StL Dan wrote:The Blues are 3-3 at home this post season.
Which brings me to a question I've been pondering. IF they get by the stars, the Blues would have home-ice advantage over any remaining team in the other than the Caps, correct? I think that's right. None of the other teams won their division and the Blues finished with more points than all of them but this new seeding system has thrown me a couple times so I don't want to assume too much...
That is correct.

Another little factoid that is interesting to me is that the Blues' two top scorers in these playoffs are -1 and -4, Tank and Schwartzy, respectively. I think Petro is even or -1 and so is Parayko. Yet, the Blues find ways to win. I love it.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Blues fans everywhere wrote:
#BANG douchenozzle wrote:I will be at the game in St. Louis tonight.
Finish them. Finish them all.

beat2life
Rookie
Rookie

Post by beat2life »

Kerfuffle wrote:So it's either Blues vs Tampa in the SCF or Blues vs Pittsburgh now. This current series is over and the 3rd round should be your easiest as neither Nashville or San Jose are contenders.
I double knocked on some wood for your thinly veiled jinx.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

beat2life wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:So it's either Blues vs Tampa in the SCF or Blues vs Pittsburgh now. This current series is over and the 3rd round should be your easiest as neither Nashville or San Jose are contenders.
Oh god - here come the conspiracy guys. And I'm not superstitious - you either win or you lose. And Lehtonen's .901 SVP in the playoffs this year along with Niemi's .872 SVP is pretty obvious to me who takes this series.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Kerfuffle wrote:
beat2life wrote:
Oh god - here come the conspiracy guys. And I'm not superstitious - you either win or you lose. And Lehtonen's .901 SVP in the playoffs this year along with Niemi's .872 SVP is pretty obvious to me who takes this series.
You guys have won 3 Cups in 5 years. You'll have to pardon our insecurities! :lol:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
beat2life wrote:
I have become less superstitious over the years.
But with at most 2 games left in this series, anything can happen...any goalie can get hot and steal a game or two.
But I agree with you...the Blues SHOULD close this out tonight. We'll see if they can make that happen.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

My feelings can be summed up as a 50/50 mix of trepidation and excitement. :grin:

I'd love to be able to forget the last 20 years and move on to a new chapter.