GDT Game 5: 5/7/16 | 12:00PM CST | @ Stars | NBC/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 5: 5/7/16 | 12:00PM CST | @ Stars | NBC/Y98

Post by dmiles2186 »

Chatzy here: http://us19.chatzy.com/79826077640952
Game 5: BLUES at STARS

Western Conference Second Round

Best-of-7 series tied 2-2

TV: 1 p.m. ET; NBC, SN, TVA Sports

Dallas Stars center Tyler Seguin skated for a fifth straight day Friday but is unlikely to play in Game 5 of the Western Conference Second Round against the St. Louis Blues on Saturday.

There was perhaps some hope Seguin, who sustained a lower-body injury in Game 2 of the first round against the Minnesota Wild, could return with the Stars back home after winning 3-2 in overtime in Game 4 on Thursday to even the series.

"Skating, but not ready to play," Stars coach Lindy Ruff said after practice Friday.

The Stars appear to have settled their goalie situation, and Kari Lehtonen will likely play the remainder of the series after a strong performance in Game 4. He made 24 saves, including two point-blank shots that prevented the Blues from building on their 1-0 lead in the first period.

"I'll use the word maturity," Ruff said. "There's some maturity there, there's some calmness to his game. I think he's living off his past experience, which you want every player to do, and I think he's trying to put that all behind him."

The Blues, who must win another game at American Airlines Center to win the series, could make some lineup changes.

"I just think we have to decide how we want to play the game in [Games] 5 and 6," coach Ken Hitchcock said.

Hitchcock wouldn't disclose what changes he could make, but with the teams playing approximately 38 hours after Game 4, the Blues have ready and able players who can step in if needed.

"I think the players are giving so much right now every shift, depth and competitiveness will become a big issue and with short rest, this is really three games in five days, four and a half days, so you're going to need everybody and I think the deeper we can play our lineup, the better," Hitchcock said. "We have a chance to maybe help ourselves by changing a few personnel here."

Blues team scope: One player who could be replaced is rookie defenseman Joel Edmundson, who had a critical mistake that led directly to Dallas' first goal in Game 4. Hitchcock offered words of encouragement Friday. "I think when you play in the playoffs, whether you're a young guy or not, you better have no memory because if you remember the good things, you usually don't play with a sense of urgency the next day and if you remember the bad things, you can carry it with you for years," Hitchcock said. "I think the players have done a great job of not carrying much with them to be honest with you." Another possibility is center Steve Ott, who was a healthy scratch the past two games, replacing Ryan Reaves.

Stars team scope: Right wing Patrick Eaves, who hasn't played since Game 1 after sustaining a lower-body injury after being hit by teammate Stephen Johns' shot, skated again Friday but Ruff wasn't ready to commit to him playing Game 5. "He was back skating with us today," Ruff said. "I don't think he's ready. He's a question mark for us." Eaves skated on a line Friday and if he is able to come in, Brett Ritchie will likely be the odd skater out.
Kari Lehtonen might have ended the Dallas Stars' recent goaltender carousel after leading them to a crucial overtime victory. Coach Lindy Ruff wasn't exactly forthcoming, however, choosing a deadpan statement over a ringing endorsement.

In all likelihood, Lehtonen will stand between the pipes for the Stars' attempt to take command of their Western Conference semifinal series against the St. Louis Blues on Saturday.

Lehtonen made 24 saves in a 3-2 win Thursday that tied the series at 2-all and became the first Stars goaltender to complete a start in three contests. He was pulled after the first period in Game 2 and replaced Antti Niemi early in the second in Game 3, a 6-1 drubbing Tuesday.

"I think Kari stepped up to the plate tonight and brought us a great game. Made some big saves in there," captain Jamie Benn told the league's official website. "It was definitely huge for this hockey club."

With the Stars alternating Lehtonen and Niemi for much of this season, Ruff is likely accustomed to playing it close to the chest on who will serve as his starter.

"Now we've got a decision to make again next game with these two goalies," Ruff said before giving a sideways glance and a slight smirk.

Dallas is hoping its return home resembles its 2-1 victory in the series opener with Lehtonen in net rather than its 4-3 overtime defeat in Game 2.

"It's best two out of three now," forward Jason Spezza said. "We're excited to be going home. We've got to go home and try to win a game."

The teams have split four matchups in Dallas this season, and Lehtonen has yielded one goal on 54 shots in the two wins.

"They've got home-ice advantage again. We've got our work cut out for us," St. Louis captain David Backes said. "We've got to put this one behind us like we put the other ones behind us and worry about going in there Saturday afternoon and winning a game."

The Blues will try to steal back home-ice advantage while adding to their recent special-teams prowess. They are 5 for 15 on the power play in the past three games after going 1 for 3 on Thursday.

St. Louis has given up one goal in their 14 times short-handed in this series, Patrick Sharp's second-period tally in Game 4.

That helped lead to Dallas' first overtime victory in three tries in this postseason, coming on Cody Eakin's first goal of the playoffs. St. Louis is 2-2 in the extra period.

"I said it's time for us to man up, and I thought we did," Ruff said. "I thought our leaders were our leaders. I thought Jamie Benn was great again, and I thought some young guys played really well."

Benn is among the NHL playoff leaders with 14 points (five goals, nine assists) after producing two assists Thursday. He had one goal and one assist in the first three games of this series.

Tyler Seguin (lower body) and Patrick Eaves (leg) are expected to sit out again. The Blues might replace rookie defenseman Joel Edmundson, who committed a costly turnover in Game 4, with Robert Bortuzzo.

St. Louis' Vladimir Tarasenko will try to stay in the groove after totaling two goals and three assists in the two home games. Tarasenko, who has a team-best six goals and five assists in this postseason, was held without a point in the two games in Dallas.

St. Louis is 0-4 in Game 5s since closing out its opening-round series against San Jose in 2012.

The Stars have lost their last two Game 5s, including 5-4 in overtime to Minnesota in the opening round.
Your pregame music

Your pregame motivational speech

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: GDT Game 5: 5/7/16 | 12:00PM CST | @ Stars | NBC/Y98

Post by fargoblues »

Lets. Effing. Go. Blues.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Win.

This I command.

:letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I said before a game 4 loss would also be a game 5 loss. Prove me wrong, please.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

There are a boatload of empty seats there today.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Fabbri hits one in!! Blues lead 1-0!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Allowing way too many chances. At least Elliott is playing well. He didn't have a chance on the goal they scored. Without him it could be 3-1 right now.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Terrible first period. I don't know how many lucky bounces we got in that first 20 minutes but it was darn near all of them.

We got a lucky "seeing eyes" bounce goal but I don't know that the Blues had a single good look that entire period.

Stars had multiple looks, Goligoski buried the one he got (absolutely nothing Elliott can do about that one), just not good.

It should be 3-1 Stars right now. Very lucky to get out of that first 20 minutes 1-1. As we've said in other posts: the Stars are controlling the play. We let them play their game we're going to lose.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

We looked like ass that period. And, Hitch changed up all the lines?

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

Only good thing about that period is that we're still even. I'm not usually on the fire Hitch bandwagon, but this line juggling is killing us right now. The chemistry is totally out of the window, totally out of sync so far.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Getting out of that period without a deficit feels like a win. But, can't play like that for 3 periods. Elliott can only do so much.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

It's like the teams have changed uniforms for the game. :doh:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

:aaaa: :goblues:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Jaskin bangs in his own rebound, after stealing the puck to start the rally! Blues lead 2-1!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Brouwer , right in front, bats it in!!! Blues lead 3-1!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

GREAT 2nd Period for The Blues!!! Probably their best 2nd of thses playoffs! They have the dreaded 2-goal lead going into the 3rd. They'd better not "turtle". They've got to continue to take the play into The Stars' end.

Elliott has been very good. Jaskin has played surprisingly well.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

20 more minutes. No let down please. Let's get another goal instead of just trying to hold them to 1.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

cardsfan04 wrote:20 more minutes. No let down please. Let's get another goal instead of just trying to hold them to 1.
:plusplus: effin' :plusplus:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Great kill!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »