Possible 2016-2017 Coaches

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Possible 2016-2017 Coaches

Post by theohall »

Toasted Oates wrote:Look at the remaining 3 teams. All coaching changes in the last couple years with little to no fan fare. A new voice can do wonders and it doesn't have to be a vet.
Just remember if the Blues go one of the newer coaches, it might not be an immediate success. DeBoer did not fare as well in his first coaching gig with the Panthers. DeBoer started off great in New Jersey his first season there reaching the Cup Finals, then tailed off the next few years. He's started off great in San Jose. Will that continue or not? Don't know.

Pittsburgh tried going with the younger guy to start the season and had to change coaches mid-season, so they aren't the best example of the way to go unless the Blues have a 1 and 1A coach readily available should coach 1 fail.

Tampa Bay is the best example of a young coach hire and sticking with it. Yzerman is doing amazing work as the GM for them thus far.

One of the best coaching hires this season, while it didn't get them as far in the playoffs, was Hextall hiring Hakstol. The Flyers weren't even supposed to be competitive this season given the cap issues Hextall was saddled with before being hired as GM in 2014.

Hopefully, the Blues can find a coach who will maximize the offensive talent on this roster while not hurting them defensively. This season, the Blues actually regressed defensively allowing the 14th most shots in the league. 2014-15 2nd fewest shots allowed. 2013-14 3rd fewest shots allowed. 2012-13 2nd fewest shots allowed.

Yes, this season the Blues had to rely on their goaltenders more because they allowed the forwards to not be as aggressive defensively, but more aggressive offensively while leaning on the defenseman to handle d-zone breakouts without forward help coming deep into the d-zone. It impacted the Blues significantly defensively as evidenced by the dramatic increase in Shots Against - which the Blues had allowed the fewest of combined over the prior 3 seasons - ever since Hitchcock showed up and implemented his defensive zone first system. This system was dramatically changed this season, but the media barely recognizes this change and will lay on it the Blues being a "defense first" team which they clearly were not this season. This is one area in which the statistics point out how much more the Blues relied on their goaltenders than playing defense first as a team for the first time since Hitchcock arrived. He did adapt this season to allow for more offensive freedom - and the Blues reached the Conference Finals and got outworked by a mostly more experienced San Jose team.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

I hear ya; I know it's not foolproof.

Also, to be fair, relying on the goalie more and the goalie answering the bell don't always go hand in hand. If Elliott had struggled, where would they have been? The team was decimated with injuries and played like garbage in front of him. The guy the coach incorrectly evaluated saved his job.

You have to at least be curious about the prospect of a different coach.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Hitchcock is absolutely going to be back as coach.

I would agree that the only "controversy" is fan generated over social media and that's all.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

midgensa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by midgensa »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Hitchcock is absolutely going to be back as coach.

I would agree that the only "controversy" is fan generated over social media and that's all.
This is definitely true.

Anyone who thinks Hitch won't be back as the coach is probably being delusional. There has been no indication by any players they want a new coach, and certainly no indication by the front office.

If Hitch WANTS to be back ... he will be.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

midgensa wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:Hitchcock is absolutely going to be back as coach.

This is definitely true.

Anyone who thinks Hitch won't be back as the coach is probably being delusional. There has been no indication by any players they want a new coach, and certainly no indication by the front office.

If Hitch WANTS to be back ... he will be.
Yep, my thought too. There's valid criticism of Hitch for sure. But, I think it gets exaggerated. I like the Cup or Bust mindset. It's a nice change of pace for the organization. But, I don't think it's very pragmatic either.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I would think Tarasenko may not want Hitch back. And who's the face of the team... Hitch or Tarasenko?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:I would think Tarasenko may not want Hitch back. And who's the face of the team... Hitch or Tarasenko?
Why do you think tarasenko doesn't want him back?

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I would think Tarasenko may not want Hitch back. And who's the face of the team... Hitch or Tarasenko?
I would assume from the clip from round 1 where Tarasenko brushes Hitch off after he didn't get on the ice during the PP was it?

Other than that I don't really think there is much to that feud...

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

I know he's the guy paid the big bucks and I wouldn't have a single doubt a month ago but I'm not so convinced right now that Tarasenko is the face of the team. Neither is Hitch, don't take me wrong. I think, unless let go, Backes is the true face of the team, with Petro running a close second. Senko is a prolific scorer but so far, that's it. If Fabbri and Parayko continue their assent and stay on long-term, they are potentially the faces of the franchise. Not to say Senko won't be one, but he ain't there yet.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

abc789987 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
I would assume from the clip from round 1 where Tarasenko brushes Hitch off after he didn't get on the ice during the PP was it?

Other than that I don't really think there is much to that feud...
I'm not too worried about that exchange. If you spend almost everyday for 6+ months with the same 25-30 guys, you're gonna have some disagreements. Add in the adrenaline and heightened emotions of the playoffs and I think it's a complete non-story.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Possible 2016-2017 Coaches

Post by Toasted Oates »

Elliotte Friedman on Sportsnet 960 in Calgary this morning:
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the- ... hitchcock/

“I mean, the other question that St. Louis has is Hitchcock. There were some rumblings yesterday that they’re going to go to him – his contract is up – and say, ‘You worked on a one-year deal, would like you another one.’

“We’ll get a better idea of that tomorrow when he and Doug Armstrong meet with the media.”

Can’t imagine they would do anything more than that, would you?

“I think the biggest question is – and Hitchcock and the Blues both know this – is that they had success this year. Hitchcock has admitted before that the way he grinds on players, you reach a point where you wonder if it’s going to work anymore on a specific team. And it’s tough, because the success they had, they got within two wins of the Stanley Cup Final. Normally that’s a slam-dunk re-signing.

“But I think they’re kind of asking each other the question, ‘Do we feel this could work again.’

“It was interesting how he didn’t go into the room after Game 6 when they lost, to say thank-you. He said, ‘That’s the players’ space, so I didn’t want to get in their way.’ Which I understand to some degree, but it does seem a little bit unusual.

“The other thing too is, I have a sense of why Calgary’s job is taking awhile to fill. Obviously your GM was overseas, and last week he had a personal issue to deal with. But I’m wondering – Anaheim, to me, is a little different. I’m looking at them, and I’m saying they’re waiting to at least talk to somebody.

“You know what? This is purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if he’s one of the guys that they’re waiting to talk to.”
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If Calgary doesn't fill their vacancy with Dave Lowry, we have to jump on that.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Time to change the title of this thread to 'Possible 2017-2018 Coaches.'

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

dmiles2186 wrote:Time to change the title of this thread to 'Possible 2017-2018 Coaches.'
:lol:

Yep.

At least we know there's going to be a change then. Unless he retires like Favre.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Muller promoted after next season. Two years with the team, he knows the players and what they can do offensively, and he does have HC experience, albeit a pretty awful experience in Carolina. I'm not saying it is or isn't what I'd like them to do, just the way I see it panning out, and sometimes guys learn from their first job screw ups to flourish when they get their next chance.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Muller promoted after next season. Two years with the team, he knows the players and what they can do offensively, and he does have HC experience, albeit a pretty awful experience in Carolina. I'm not saying it is or isn't what I'd like them to do, just the way I see it panning out, and sometimes guys learn from their first job screw ups to flourish when they get their next chance.
I thought the same about Muller but then I looked at the numbers to break it down a bit more. He got 57 games in 2011-2012 and went 25-20-12 for 62 points. Not great. But looking at that roster and you see the 6th highest scoring player was Chad LaRose. Anthony friggin' Stewart had 20 points for that team.

The next year (the lockout season), Muller got the team to 19-25-4 for only 42 points. That was the year they signed Jordan Staal, but Dan Ellis and Justin Peters each got 19 games in net, while Cam Ward got 17. Injury I'm assuming? Either way...with Dan Ellis and Justin Peters in net, you probably aren't going to win a lot of games.

So in 2013-2014, Muller's record was 36-35-11 for 83 points. That team employed Radek Dvorak for 60 games and Aaron Palushaj even made a few appearances.

Maybe Muller sucks, but I also know the Hurricanes have thrown a lot of hot garbage out on the ice in recent years. Was talking with a Blues fan yesterday and he mentioned how bad Joe Torre looked in his stint with the Cardinals. Couldn't do anything with that team...because the roster was terrible. He goes to New York that's stock with talent and does nothing but win. Clearly he's not saying if Muller takes over that the Cups will start falling. But it's hard to know how good of a coach he really is when you factor in what he was working with in Carolina.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I was thinking of using Joe Torre as a comparison. The 96 Yankees weren't exactly flush with talent. There were a lot of hard working blue collar guys on that team and they won as a team. Guys like Jeter, Mo Rivera and Andy Pettitte weren't superstars yet. You're talking a lineup that featured Charlie Hayes, Joe Girardi, Mariano Duncan, your big names were Paul O'Neill and Bernie Williams. Because the heart of the team (the core four, if you will) grew up with Torre, he was able to manage their egos very, very easily. That's why they had sustained success. He built something good early on and most of the big names who came later on just followed the culture that was already established in the clubhouse. Heck, A-Rod and Jeter were able to co-exist when no one ever thought it would work out.

I think Muller may be able to emulate that success on a team that's already a lot closer to a Cup than the 96 Yankees were to a World Series they probably shouldn't have been in or won.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Muller gone too. Boo.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Probably expected to have the job this coming season. Will Steve Ott be the new PP coach?
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Well that's balls. Who's available who will be offensive minded? Lowry as an AC with the guarantee of the promotion after next season?