GDT Game 2: 5/1/16 | 2:00PM CST | @ Stars | NBC/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 2: 5/1/16 | 2:00PM CST | @ Stars | NBC/Y98

Post by dmiles2186 »

Chatzy here: http://us19.chatzy.com/79826077640952
Game 2: BLUES at STARS

Western Conference Second Round

Dallas leads best-of-7 series 1-0

TV: 3 p.m. ET; NBC, SN, TVA Sports

The Dallas Stars are looking for a repeat performance against the St. Louis Blues in Game 2 on Sunday and will try to take a 2-0 lead before the Stanley Cup Playoff series shifts to St. Louis for Games 3 and 4.

The Stars outhit the Blues 32-26 and shut down St. Louis leading scorer Vladimir Tarasenko along with his "STL Line" teammates Jaden Schwartz and Jori Lehtera in a 2-1 win in Game 1 at American Airlines Center on Friday.

"Well, obviously he's the one guy that we got a radar on, that we know when he's out there, we want to make sure we don't give him much ice, and I thought for the most part we didn't make any mistakes that allowed any big rush plays when he was out there," Stars coach Lindy Ruff said of Tarasenko. "We closed fast on him inside the zone. We went after him physically and he's a tough guy to knock off his feet, but I thought we played him as hard as we could when he came to the physical front."

Recap: STL 1, DAL 2

04:15 • April 29th, 2016

Tarasenko, whose ice time against the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round was limited, led Blues forwards in Game 1 with 21:04. He said he needs to be better in Game 2.

"I just need to take a look at my shifts and make adjustments," Tarasenko said. "All teams play kind of the same, all teams are physical. Everybody try to hit you as much as they can. You know, you need to a player that nobody can break. It's a good challenge and it's a fun part of the year."

Blues team scope: St. Louis could insert forward Ryan Reaves into the lineup. Reaves hasn't played since Game 2 against the Blackhawks. Left wing Scottie Upshall was the lone skater not to take part in practice Saturday. Hitchcock said Upshall took a maintenance day and "he'll continue to be maintenance right throughout this series." Reaves was playing fourth-line right wing in place of Steve Ott, who was part of the extra forwards at practice. "All available assets are at our disposal," Hitchcock said. "Let me put it this way: We do not have an injury that would prevent me from making a decision."

Stars team scope: Dallas will be without right wing Patrick Eaves, who coach Lindy Ruff said is day-to-day with a foot injury. Eaves was hit by a point shot from teammate Stephen Johns in the third period of Game 1 and did not return. Eaves did not skate Saturday and was at the practice facility on crutches. Ruff said forward Valeri Nichushkin will play. "Yeah, nothing serious, just a real bad shot [Eaves] took to the leg and should be just day-to-day," Ruff said. "I know it always look serious, but it's all part of the recouping process. ... by the looks of things, I would say questionable unless it comes around, but it's awfully sore." Center Tyler Seguin (Achilles) is out for Game 2. The Stars recalled forwards Brett Ritchie and Curtis McKenzie from Texas of the American Hockey League.
Scoring depth and dependable goaltending are believed to be the Dallas Stars' biggest obstacles to a Stanley Cup run.

They showed they're capable of both in Game 1 of their second-round series with the St. Louis Blues.

As Dallas tries to build off a strong all-around performance, the Blues know they'll need an improved effort Sunday to draw even.

The Stars dictated play throughout much of Friday's 2-1 victory, though the outcome remained in doubt until the end. Rookie Radek Faksa scored the tiebreaking goal on a rebound with 4:44 remaining, and Kari Lehtonen withstood a furious St. Louis surge in the final minutes to maintain Dallas' home-ice advantage.

On a night when Tyler Seguin remained out of the lineup and Jamie Benn and Jason Spezza weren't major factors, the Stars received a big lift from their third line of Faksa, Antoine Roussel and Alex Hemsky. The trio accounted for both goals, with the 22-year-old Faksa setting up Roussel for the game's initial score midway through the second.

"He's a heck of a player," Spezza said of Faksa, who spent much of the regular season in the AHL. "He's always in the right spot.''

Lehtonen played a key role as well, recording 14 of his 31 saves in the final period. The 12-year veteran improved to 4-1 with a 2.01 goals-against average this postseason, bringing some needed stability to a goaltending position that was often a weakness during the regular season as he and Antti Niemi split time.

Dallas led the NHL with 265 goals en route to edging the Blues for the West's best record, with much of that production coming from its core of Benn, Seguin, Spezza and Patrick Sharp. That also was the case in its opening-round series with Minnesota in which Benn, Spezza and Sharp registered 11 of the team's 21 goals.

With better balance likely key to advancing against one of the league's stingiest defensive teams, Friday's result has to be viewed as encouraging.

"I thought we played a good game," Stars coach Lindy Ruff said. "I thought our energy was good and got better as the game went on. I thought we skated well. I thought we defended well. I thought we were physical. That's a good start to the series for us."

For St. Louis, the goal will be regaining the intensity and physicality it displayed in a grueling seven-game series with rival Chicago. The Blues came out sluggish in Game 1, with Dallas owning a 31-17 shot advantage over the first two periods and finishing with a 32-26 edge in hits.

St. Louis outhit the Blackhawks 283-206 in the opening round, while Dallas ranked 26th in the league in that category during the regular season.

"They outplayed us and deserved to win this one," captain David Backes said. "We need to regroup and find our game and play for a full 60 minutes like we did in the first series. I think we will be just fine. It's going to be another long, tight, hard hitting, fun matchup; but we have to get to our game sooner and for longer."

Getting Vladimir Tarasenko back on track is another priority. The Blues' top scorer has been held to one goal over the last four games after recording three with two assists over the first four of the Chicago series.

St. Louis does continue to receive solid work from Brian Elliott, who kept the Blues in the opener with 40 saves.

Elliott again won't have to deal with Seguin, who has played just once in these playoffs due to a lingering Achilles injury. Forward Patrick Eaves, who had five points in the Minnesota series, is also out after exiting Game 1 with a foot injury.
Your pregame music

Your pregame motivational speech

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: GDT Game 2: 5/1/16 | 2:00PM CST | @ Stars | NBC/Y98

Post by fargoblues »

Look for a completely different blues team today than the one that left their skate guards on Friday night. Dallas is no Chicago, but they do pose different challenges as they prefer a pretty non structured free wheeling game.

Moar hits for the blues -> moar goals. I don't think Dallas has the testicular fortitude to be physical for seven games.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Get in Roussel's kitchen. That guy will take bad penalties if the Blues can agitate him. Blues did nothing to him in Game 1, which I found to be very odd.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Going home with a split is critical. Must win? You bet this game is.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Can we please get the 27/6 defensive pairing? If 27 is going to play 28+ minutes per night paired with 19, Dallas is going to keep attacking the RW and 19's complete lack of speed combined with his lack of physical presence.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

glen a richter wrote:Going home with a split is critical. Must win? You bet this game is.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't actually see this game as a must-win. I mean, going down 2-0 is not ideal. But, if there's one thing this team is showing in the playoffs it's that it can overcome adversity. If we go home down 2-0, just gotta win both games at home and tie it up. We'll have to win a game in Dallas at some point, but I don't think it has to be today. I'd prefer that it is though. 1-1 with 3 more home games feels a lot better than down 2-0.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Great response so far after giving up the first goal!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Big PK.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

I know we currently have a lead but only 2 shots on goal with 3 minutes to go in the 1st? :aaaa:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Great kill! No shots!!

Blues on the power play! Let's score!!!

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

The new Oshie puts us up by 2!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

They DOOOOO!!!! Brouwer!!! Blues 3-1!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

That's in the discussion for best period we've played so far in the playoffs.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Great 1st Period for The Blues, leading 3-1 on the road! - even though they were somewhat sloppy in their own zone with lots of giveaways. But, they are skating hard and hitting.

Tarasenko missed his checking assignment deep in his zone, and that led to the one goal against. I hope he makes up for that with a couple goals.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

I am in attendance at this one. I've never seen stars fans so hostile.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Lehtonen pulled. Not a huge surprise I guess.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Blues can open it wide by scoring on this PP!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Niemi makes a great save on Brouwer! But Brouwer should have lifted it.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

If Brouwer would score on some of the amazing chances he's had! I know he's had a huge one so far but dang he's missed some good ones.