GDT Game 2: 5/1/16 | 2:00PM CST | @ Stars | NBC/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT Game 2: 5/1/16 | 2:00PM CST | @ Stars | NBC/Y98

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't like the defensive shell either, especially for an entire period and only a 2-goal lead. But, at some point it's not just on the coach. The players need to execute. Hitch says he's not telling them to go into a shell. Berglund says they're not being told to do that. Maybe the criticism needs to be directed at the players more.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Thanks Roussel, you freaking sweet ass douchenoodle, you.

And apparently nothing can stop cap'n murica in a contract year :D
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

So the coach isn't telling the D to concentrate on defense vice holding the opponent's blueline with a 2 goal lead? If Hitchcock isn't, who is? Because it's clearly showing on the ice. And players in the playoffs tend to listen to coaches.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

KrustyKevo wrote:This was so amazing to see in person. I barely have any voice left. But I counted about 8 "(Frank) the Blues" directed at me. Lol
:mrgreen: :goblues:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Per Hitch:
"It's the score. It's a natural tendency. What do they say? The worst lead in hockey is a two-goal lead. But it's natural. You play the score. You don't want to get caught so you put a safety net up. It's been like that ever since I started coaching. The other team plays with high-risk. So they are pinching on everything and trying to join numbers on the attack. So, they are full-bore go. It's hard to play that way on your toes when everybody is behind you. So, what they did is get everybody behind us and you have a choice. You go forward and attack but you are not fore-checking anybody. You are fore-checking one player, because there are four or five hanging behind you. It's not anything that is instructed and it's not the way we want to play and not the way we should play, but it is natural tendency for any team. The thing that impressed me more than anything is the way we played in overtime. Outstanding. We went into attack mode and stayed on it the whole time. I was really impressed with the way we did OT."

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Had they played the 3rd in attack mode, overtime wouldn't have been necessary. Hitch is a douche.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

I saw an interesting bit of trivia on NHL network. Other than Backes, who is the only player in Blues franchise history to score multiple OT winners in the same post-season?
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Kreegz2 wrote:I saw an interesting bit of trivia on NHL network. Other than Backes, who is the only player in Blues franchise history to score multiple OT winners in the same post-season?
Probably not an expected player... let's go with Geoff Courtnall.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Kreegz2 wrote:I saw an interesting bit of trivia on NHL network. Other than Backes, who is the only player in Blues franchise history to score multiple OT winners in the same post-season?
Turgeon?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Obviously, I'm very happy with the win, but this team hasn't been able to hold a single lead all postseason. In fact, they hadn't held a lead this postseason (9 games) going into the 3rd period until Game 2...and they promptly throw it away. It's playing with fire, but I guess at least it's working for the time being.

It really would be nice to see them get out to a huge lead and just choke the life out of the opponent by holding onto the lead. We'll see. In the meantime, Ells continues to make saves, we've got guys stepping up all over the place, Backes with another OT winner, Brouwer with another postseason goal, and Petro turning into a defensive monster in front of our eyes.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

glen a richter wrote:
Probably not an expected player... let's go with Geoff Courtnall.
I'm going to go with Tony Hrkac (sp?)

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Doug Wickenheiser.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Turgeon
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Regarding the defensive shell-if Hitch doesn't want it he could have, you know, coached them out of it. I'm really not buying his protests. If, say, Vignault's Rangers or Cooper's Lightning started a period like that I have no doubt they'd call a time out and tell their players to get their heads out of their asses. The way their going into the shell-D dropping off the rush even when we have possession and constantly a gaping chasm between the D and the forwards-is exactly what we've seen from this team for the majority of Hitchcock's tenure. Coincidence? :roll:

I can understand the desire to play differently on occasion so as to stymie the aggressive forecheck on Blues' D as they exit the zone that both Chicago and Dallas have used to some effect but it can't be this crap. Find something that works, guys. You got a day to do it.

thekortehaus
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by thekortehaus »

We won. In the playoffs that's all that matters. If ugly wins gets a cup, I can deal with it.

But it seems like Hitch still thinks this is your 1990's NHL.

On a positive note, Backes is actually playing like, you know, a captain these playoffs. I'm very happy with his performance so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Yeah it was Turgeon in '99. Game 7 vs Phoenix and Game 4 vs Dallas.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I don't think enough has been made of Edmundson's goal. Holy cow...he tucked that one timer from in close up under the crossbar...there are a lot of elite goal scorers who couldn't have done that.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Edmundson and Parayko have been absolutely phenomenal.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

thekortehaus wrote:.

On a positive note, Backes is actually playing like, you know, a captain these playoffs. I'm very happy with his performance so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not quite sure what this is referring to. Two years ago against the Hawks, he was playing awesome before he got KO'd by Seabrook. Backes gets blamed way to much for this teams past misfortunes.

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by evil roy »

Portland Blues wrote:Per Hitch:
"It's the score. It's a natural tendency. What do they say? The worst lead in hockey is a two-goal lead. But it's natural. You play the score. You don't want to get caught so you put a safety net up. It's been like that ever since I started coaching. The other team plays with high-risk. So they are pinching on everything and trying to join numbers on the attack. So, they are full-bore go. It's hard to play that way on your toes when everybody is behind you. So, what they did is get everybody behind us and you have a choice. You go forward and attack but you are not fore-checking anybody. You are fore-checking one player, because there are four or five hanging behind you. It's not anything that is instructed and it's not the way we want to play and not the way we should play, but it is natural tendency for any team. The thing that impressed me more than anything is the way we played in overtime. Outstanding. We went into attack mode and stayed on it the whole time. I was really impressed with the way we did OT."
I saw that quote too and personally I thought it was ridiculous--Hitch is saying that it was the team's fault ("human nature" :roll: ) they went into a dump-and-change prevent defense? REALLY?!? Did he not notice that the players were "playing the score"? Was he somehow unable to motivate or even direct HIS players to alter their style? He's the damn COACH--isn't that the job description?? Is he honestly saying that the players took it upon themselves to play short shifts and chip the puck to the Dallas defense for the entire 3rd period and there was NOTHING HE COULD DO ABOUT IT? This is ludicrous for its obvious falsehood, insulting that he expects anyone to believe it and shameful that he would throw his own players under the bus.

Maybe the coaching staff didn't tell the players to lay back (highly doubtful) but they sure as hell didn't tell them not to.

But all that is in the past (i hope) and we've got home ice and a bit of momentum. Let's take two in the Lou and win this thing in spite of the coach.
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen