Round 2 : Dallas v St. Louis

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Round 2 : Dallas v St. Louis

Post by sseagle »

April 29 St. Louis v Dallas 7pm NBCSN
May 1 St. Louis v Dallas 2pm NBC
May 3 Dallas @ St. Louis 8:30pm NBCSN
May 5 Dallas @ St. Louis 7pm NBCSN
May 7 St. Louis v Dallas TBA TBA
May 9 Dallas @ St. Louis TBA TBA
May 11 St. Louis v Dallas TBA TBA
Last edited by sseagle on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Round 2 : Dallas v St. Louis

Post by theohall »

This headline photo makes me laugh. Joel Edmundson standing in front of the Dallas goaltender.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

midgensa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by midgensa »

I am just so happy to see this thread exist!!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

:letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues:

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Seriously think Backes, Steen, Berglund, and Brouwer will be huge against Dallas.

Sent from my R2 unit

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm mainly concerned that they sapped their emotional side by going 7 against Chicago. This could be a huge letdown series, so it's very important they take game 1. Reclaim home ice then go from there.

If the Blues play the way they're capable of, it's a 5 game series. If they give up a million 2nd period shots like they were against Chicago, it's also a 5 game series, but Dallas' favor instead.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

midgensa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by midgensa »

glen a richter wrote:I'm mainly concerned that they sapped their emotional side by going 7 against Chicago. This could be a huge letdown series, so it's very important they take game 1. Reclaim home ice then go from there.

If the Blues play the way they're capable of, it's a 5 game series. If they give up a million 2nd period shots like they were against Chicago, it's also a 5 game series, but Dallas' favor instead.
I agree. We definitely need to be on our game. Dallas has serious firepower, but I think top-to-bottom we are definitely a clear favorite.

If we give away a ton of shots though, they are going to make us pay.

I really like our chances. And I am super excited to be watching second round playoff hockey for a change.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Definitely agree that the Stars scoring prowess needs respecting and yet...their defense is ropey and hasn't been tested at all. Minnesota without Parise or an effective Vanek is an absolutely toothless team. Minus those two, their forwards scored 133 goals all season; Charlie Coyle was their top non-Parise goal scorer. Blues forwards scored 180, despite Stastny, Schwartz, Steen, Fabbri and Berglund missing a combined 132 games. And I agree that we'll likely see at least Backes and Steen improved as frankly neither looked over their injuries completely to me. Would be nice to have the series start Friday so that those two specifically can get in another skate.

:goblues:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:I'm mainly concerned that they sapped their emotional side by going 7 against Chicago. This could be a huge letdown series, so it's very important they take game 1. Reclaim home ice then go from there.

I don't know about game 1 but definitely a split on the road is huge. It won't be series ending if we go down 2-0, but getting at least 1 in their barn will go a long away.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I was in person for this....a reminder that this is the goalie tending the Stars' net:

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

I was watching the CBC (Canada) feed for game 7 and they said the Blues all stayed at a hotel the night before. I guess they didn't want any home/family distractions for the game. Forth in the league in away games compared to 11th being at home. So home ice don't mean squat until game 7...Let's tip some cows in Texas...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Dallas Defense: Jason Demers, Alex Goligoski, Stephen Johns, John Klingberg, Johnny Oduya, Kris Russell, and Jordie Benn,

Blues Defense:
Alex Pietrangelo, Jay Bouwmeester, Kevin Shattenkirk, Joel Edmundson, Colton Parayko, Carl Gunnarson, with Bortuzzo as the depth guy in case of injury.

That alone could be the deciding factor in this series. Which defenseman from the Stars would you take over any of the Blues defenseman.

The other one, Ruff won't pick a goaltender with both Niemi and Lehtonen being iffy for awhile now.

One playoff preview mentioned Dallas not being able to hold leads. Seems kind of funny the Blues weren't given the same criticism since it happened multiple times vs Chicago.

Tarasenko should get more ice time vs the Stars where matchups aren't as important as they were vs Chicago.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:

I don't know about game 1 but definitely a split on the road is huge. It won't be series ending if we go down 2-0, but getting at least 1 in their barn will go a long away.
Also, we don't want to give Seguin more time to recuperate and return to the Stars. I'd rather beat them sooner.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I may be way off base here, but it seems to me that Edmundson is a fairly important guy to the overall D. Game 5 and 6, no Edmundson, both losses. Game 7, he comes back--sure, he didn't log a lot of ice time, but they also won the game. He does bring a certain toughness to the blueline that can make all the difference.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:I may be way off base here, but it seems to me that Edmundson is a fairly important guy to the overall D. Game 5 and 6, no Edmundson, both losses. Game 7, he comes back--sure, he didn't log a lot of ice time, but they also won the game. He does bring a certain toughness to the blueline that can make all the difference.
Edmundson playing has everyone playing on their correct stick-handed side.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

theohall wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I may be way off base here, but it seems to me that Edmundson is a fairly important guy to the overall D. Game 5 and 6, no Edmundson, both losses. Game 7, he comes back--sure, he didn't log a lot of ice time, but they also won the game. He does bring a certain toughness to the blueline that can make all the difference.
Edmundson playing has everyone playing on their correct stick-handed side.
True. That makes a huge difference. Have to keep him healthy and in the lineup.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Also, as mentioned above-Dallas has two goalies who played in round one and played to sv% of .911 and .879 respectively. I submit that they're the ones who need to worry about shot prevention in this game.

And it looks like Seguin's definitely missing at least one game of this series...

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Hitch called in to some show on the NHL Network last night and was hinting around that Jake may be in goal in the Dallas series. He seemed most excited talking about that Barn show he loves on TV.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Allen in net?

Gtfo.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Portland Blues wrote:Hitch called in to some show on the NHL Network last night and was hinting around that Jake may be in goal in the Dallas series. He seemed most excited talking about that Barn show he loves on TV.
I think it's just strategy to throw off Dallas. I think if you really see Allen in net Friday it means Elliott is hurt.