David Backes future

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

David Backes future

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Although we have several UFA's coming up this offseason, one of which I'm particularly excited to be rid of (*cough* Ott *cough*), I think the most intriguing one is Backes.

I think his days of flirting with or obtaining 30 goals a year are now safely in the rear-view mirror. I question his leadership capabilities only in the sense that it's just been playoff failure after playoff failure under his "reign" and, right or wrong, he has to shoulder some of the blame for that. He also seems to have the same presser after each playoff round defeat and it's getting tiring. He's also on the list of guys that tends to disappear in the playoffs a bit.

Overall, though, I still like him and think he's still a valuable commodity. I think he's still a good 2nd line/3rd line center in this league, but with the emergence of Lehtera and especially Stastny, is he now expendable?

I say don't trade him at the deadline (no reason to shake the fort) but if it's another early round exit he's gone, along with Hitch and a bunch of other guys.

Thoughts on Backes' future in the bluenote?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: David Backes future

Post by theohall »

If the Blues don't re-sign him before FA season, I would expect Toronto to make an offer for Backes which the Blues couldn't match. Getting Phaneouf and Kessel off their roster has cleared plenty of cap space for the Leafs and they should be able to buy whomever they want among available FAs this off-season.

The thing Backes still provides is flexibility. He is still a darn good faceoff guy, can play on the wing, and shows the work ethic one wants to see in other players. It's going to be a matter of how much is Backes worth compared to how much other teams might offer, assuming the Blues don't re-sign him before.

Considering Hitchcock would have been gone after last season if Armstrong and Co had agreed on a better replacement, I doubt Hitchcock remains if the Blues do win in the playoffs.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Although we have several UFA's coming up this offseason, one of which I'm particularly excited to be rid of (*cough* Ott *cough*), I think the most intriguing one is Backes.

I think his days of flirting with or obtaining 30 goals a year are now safely in the rear-view mirror. I question his leadership capabilities only in the sense that it's just been playoff failure after playoff failure under his "reign" and, right or wrong, he has to shoulder some of the blame for that. He also seems to have the same presser after each playoff round defeat and it's getting tiring. He's also on the list of guys that tends to disappear in the playoffs a bit.

Overall, though, I still like him and think he's still a valuable commodity. I think he's still a good 2nd line/3rd line center in this league, but with the emergence of Lehtera and especially Stastny, is he now expendable?

I say don't trade him at the deadline (no reason to shake the fort) but if it's another early round exit he's gone, along with Hitch and a bunch of other guys.

Thoughts on Backes' future in the bluenote?
Emergence of Lehtera and Stastny? Between the two of those guys, they play with one of the most explosive forwards in the league. One has 24 pts, and the other 29pts about 65% of the way into the season. Backes has consistently played with the lesser players on this team the entire year and has more points. Only recently he has started playing with Steen again (unfortunately Hitch thinks Berglund works on that line as well, I'd much rather see Upshall) If we get rid of/or lose Backes in the off season, this team gets real small real quick. I'm not saying sign him to a crazy deal, but I see no reason he and the Blues can't workout a deal to keep him here.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I would like to keep Backes. I think he still brings a lot to the table that can't be quantified, though admittedly less than 2 or 3 years ago. With any luck, he will agree to reasonable contract (like a Shane Doan kind of situation). He seems like the kind who would be loyal to the team he has captained for many years.

But then again, this is pro sports and the dollar rules. If he won't take what the Blues think he is worth, he will (and probably should) walk in that situation. We have lots of players who will need new contracts and we can't keep them all, nor should we.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Oaklandblue's Prediction: David Backes and/or one of/a few of the players who will become UFA will be dealt at the TDL for help and/or picks.

I expect Backes to be dealt and the C moved to someone else. Leadership is a major issue and this is a case of asset management. Unless Backes takes a smaller contract which I seriously can not see as teams like Toronto have plenty of cash to get him onboard without it affecting their build.

I simply do not expect to see us stay pat with this many players coming off the books, especially if we're in win now mode and have players like Shattenkirk to sign on, which we abso-fuggin-lutely will.

If we lose Backes, my vote for Blues captain, based on their work for their long length of time on the team, ethic and ability to stay consistent, for me, is an easy one: Alexander Steen. Book that.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't think Backes will be traded. He'd have to waive his NTC which I doubt he would do.

I could see him somewhere else next season, but I'd like to have him back. He's certainly heading past his prime, but I'm not sure it will be easy to replace him either internally or via FA. While some of the criticisms of him are valid re: disappearing in the playoffs, I think he gets far to much blame for playoff exits because of the C. He's still just 1 of 20 suiting up each night.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

It's a tough call. He's primed to make great money and yet isn't having his best season. I think it's way premature to say he's not going to get to 30 goals again-27 and 26 the last two seasons in a system that stifles offense is actually pretty encouraging. This while playing 19 minutes a night, winning more than 50% of the 600+ face offs he takes each season and always having 200+ hits. Oh, and he's only had one season in his entire career (five years ago) where he started most of his shifts in the O-zone. Which reminds me: when evaluating #42's offense this season, we should keep in mind that he's started only 38.6% of his shifts in the O-zone. That's the lowest of his career.

Again, I can see scenarios where he's allowed to walk-they involve another playoff disappearance and high-end-of-market demands. They also involve moving Fabbri to C and bringing in another winger (Barbashev? Free agent?). But make no mistake, he's going to get a big contract because the kind of production he very much still provides is not easy to come by. And, honestly, at this point it's clear he's going to "test the market". So the Blues will have to pay market rate to get him. Mainly all of this worries me because I vividly remember recent years with no #2 C and how that went. The club wouldd have a lot of eggs in the Lehtera/Fabbri basket.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote: I think he gets far to much blame for playoff exits because of the C. He's still just 1 of 20 suiting up each night.
Totally agree. It's not his fault - sometimes the chemistry and team makeup just don't work and too often the captain is held to blame for that. Rather the blame should be on Armstrong for not getting the Blues more firepower and Hitch for not getting more out of the guys he has. You guys haven't given up a lot of goals so the D is pretty solid but the O is not scoring enough - it's Tank or nothing and that's not good.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote: I think he gets far to much blame for playoff exits because of the C. He's still just 1 of 20 suiting up each night.
Totally agree. It's not his fault - sometimes the chemistry and team makeup just don't work and too often the captain is held to blame for that. Rather the blame should be on Armstrong for not getting the Blues more firepower and Hitch for not getting more out of the guys he has. You guys haven't given up a lot of goals so the D is pretty solid but the O is not scoring enough - it's Tank or nothing and that's not good.
Yep. More system problems. As in-and this is documented-Hitch's system in StL works best early in the season and against non-playoff teams. At the pointy end of the season when everyone's worn out and the opposition is always good, not so much. As you point out, everyone on the club who isn't in the running for best forward in the league pretty much disappears. That can't be a problem with any individual.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

Oaklandblue wrote:If we lose Backes, my vote for Blues captain, based on their work for their long length of time on the team, ethic and ability to stay consistent, for me, is an easy one: Alexander Steen. Book that.

:okman: I was just talking about this the other night. If Backes leaves, he's gotta be first choice.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

See what happens (or doesn't happens) in the playoffs. If he's able to lead this team a good distance into the playoffs, resign him. If they pull that "too much pratice" crap again, it's time for a change.

With Toronto, I feel they will be going after Stamkos. It explains the pay dump.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

philco_3 wrote:See what happens (or doesn't happens) in the playoffs. If he's able to lead this team a good distance into the playoffs, resign him. If they pull that "too much pratice" crap again, it's time for a change.

With Toronto, I feel they will be going after Stamkos. It explains the pay dump.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
The issue with Toronto is they need more than just Stamkos. They are one of the weakest teams at center 1 through 4 in the league.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

theohall wrote: The issue with Toronto is they need more than just Stamkos. They are one of the weakest teams at center 1 through 4 in the league.
True, but Stamkos would give their fans hope and is a solid upgrade. The downside is whether Stamkos would want to be part of another rebuild - but a 7 year deal that pays him as the highest player in the league will offset that. Just think if the Blues could get Stamkos and pair him with Tarasenko. Not sure how much cap room you guys got though.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Kerfuffle wrote:
theohall wrote: The issue with Toronto is they need more than just Stamkos. They are one of the weakest teams at center 1 through 4 in the league.
True, but Stamkos would give their fans hope and is a solid upgrade. The downside is whether Stamkos would want to be part of another rebuild - but a 7 year deal that pays him as the highest player in the league will offset that. Just think if the Blues could get Stamkos and pair him with Tarasenko. Not sure how much cap room you guys got though.
Actually pretty good if the Blues don't re-sign their UFAs this off-season and rely on depth in the organization to fill gaps.

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

Not resigning Backes would be a huge mistake. As previously stated, Backes was demoted to the third line and still has more points than the other two centers. (I'm very disappointed with the acquisition of Stasny BTW) He is not a number 1 center. Personally, I think we have (3) 2nd line centers in Backes, Stasny, and Lehtera but only one brings grit, fighting, hitting, crease front presence etc. of a true power forward. That is Backes.

I can see him testing the waters in the offseason possibly but I would think St. Louis would be his first choice if the offer is reasonable.

If he is signed by another team in the off season, Steen or Schwartz would be my choice for captain.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

The Flake wrote:Not resigning Backes would be a huge mistake. As previously stated, Backes was demoted to the third line and still has more points than the other two centers. (I'm very disappointed with the acquisition of Stasny BTW) He is not a number 1 center. Personally, I think we have (3) 2nd line centers in Backes, Stasny, and Lehtera but only one brings grit, fighting, hitting, crease front presence etc. of a true power forward. That is Backes.

I can see him testing the waters in the offseason possibly but I would think St. Louis would be his first choice if the offer is reasonable.

If he is signed by another team in the off season, Steen or Schwartz would be my choice for captain.
I lean towards agreeing with your general point-but I respectfully disagree about Stastny. He has one fewer point than Backes in 18 fewer games (he does start in the O-zone far more frequently than 42). He's also winning 56% of his face offs, of which he takes more than anyone on the team per game, while eating up 19 quality minutes. I feel like Blues fans have gotten very spoiled when it comes to center depth lately. Whereas I vividly remember the days of, say, #2 & 3 centers Andy McDonald and Jason Arnott combining for 10 more points than Stastny had last season in 74 games.

Also: given that Steen will be a 32-year-old UFA after next season I say give the C to Tarasenko and get it overwith. I can't envision any scenario in the medium term where the Blues have great success without this being 91's team.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

ecbm wrote:
The Flake wrote:Not resigning Backes would be a huge mistake. As previously stated, Backes was demoted to the third line and still has more points than the other two centers. (I'm very disappointed with the acquisition of Stasny BTW) He is not a number 1 center. Personally, I think we have (3) 2nd line centers in Backes, Stasny, and Lehtera but only one brings grit, fighting, hitting, crease front presence etc. of a true power forward. That is Backes.

I lean towards agreeing with your general point-but I respectfully disagree about Stastny. He has one fewer point than Backes in 18 fewer games (he does start in the O-zone far more frequently than 42). He's also winning 56% of his face offs, of which he takes more than anyone on the team per game, while eating up 19 quality minutes. I feel like Blues fans have gotten very spoiled when it comes to center depth lately. Whereas I vividly remember the days of, say, #2 & 3 centers Andy McDonald and Jason Arnott combining for 10 more points than Stastny had last season in 74 games.

Also: given that Steen will be a 32-year-old UFA after next season I say give the C to Tarasenko and get it overwith. I can't envision any scenario in the medium term where the Blues have great success without this being 91's team.
No. Give Tank an A first. See how he handles wearing it and if he wears it well, then graduate him to the C. Just because he is the team's best player doesn't mean he should be Captain, at least just yet.

With the capspace we are going to gain at the end of the season and the necessity of resigning Shattenkirk (Yes, we are resigning Shatt, end of story), that is going to leave Backes with a decision: either take a hometown discount or go elsewhere. Toronto is a few pieces off of being the real deal and Babcock is going to build that team into a powerhouse in a short period of time. We simply can't afford Backes if he demands 7+, which he easily could command.

I am with the opinion of Stastny, I'm sorry, I'm not impressed with him, he absolutely did not come as advertised, but maybe that's more the fault of the system than the player. I mean, Backes is putting up really damn good numbers for being in a system that is causing limited offense. Imagine if he was in a system where he was told 'Go forth and score like a madman.'

I for one would like to see Ty Rattie get a real opportunity to see what we got in him. He's no heavyweight but he seems really skilled. A player like that may be the missing piece we need to get the offense blasting.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't think we've gotten what we wanted out of Stastny either. 46 pts in 74 games last year (.62PPG). 29 points in 43 games this year (.67PPG). Contrast that with his last season in Colorado, 60 points in 71 games (.85PPG). I'm willing to chalk some of it up to a system change. But, that's a pretty big drop in production.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

You guys do realize Stastny is winning around 70+% of his faceoffs in 2016 (last month and this month).

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

theohall wrote:You guys do realize Stastny is winning around 70+% of his faceoffs in 2016 (last month and this month).
Yeah, I know. I'm not saying he's a total bust or that he sucks or anything. He's a good player that provides value. He's getting paid to be a great player though. $7MM is a lot to pay a guy for faceoffs.