Leafs deal Phanuef to Sens in 9 player trade

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Leafs deal Phanuef to Sens in 9 player trade

Post by WaukeeBlues »

TSN wrote:The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded veteran defenceman and captain Dion Phaneuf to the Ottawa Senators in a nine player deal. Along with Phaneuf, the Leafs send forwards Matt Frattin, Casey Bailey, Ryan Rupert and defence prospect Cody Donaghey to the Senators in exchange for defenceman Jared Cowen, forwards Colin Greening, Milan Michalek and Tobias Lindberg as well as Ottawa’s second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.
REBUILD! haha.

Interesting deal all around. Seems like each side traded to the other the guys they just wanted off their hands. Leafs have to be thrilled they got a 2nd round pick out of that.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

thekortehaus
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: Leafs deal Phanuef to Sens in 9 player trade

Post by thekortehaus »

Honestly, I haven't paid attention to anyone but St. Louis for a few seasons now. This would appear that Phanuef has fallen off pretty hard. Has he really been that mediocre?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

thekortehaus wrote:Honestly, I haven't paid attention to anyone but St. Louis for a few seasons now. This would appear that Phanuef has fallen off pretty hard. Has he really been that mediocre?

I don't think he's a top 2 guy anymore but he can slot in at 3-4 I would say. His detractors would say lower than that. Sens desperately needed some help on their blueline and Leafs move a huge contract off of their books so that alone was worth it from the Leafs perspective.

I don't know what to make of Jared Cowan, he's been a healthy scratch at times for the Sens this season so I'm not quite sure what the Leafs plans are with him but at least he's a lot younger than Phanuef is.

thekortehaus
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by thekortehaus »

Understood. In the last five years or so, I've started to understand how Salary Cap rules all.

I've heard about Cowan as having huge potential but maybe not able to reach it. Probably depends on coaching and systems (as we are all painfully aware of).

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Garbage in, garbage out-with the weird exception that somehow the team giving up a #3/4 D on $7M per until 2021 got the best prospect (Lindberg) and a 2nd. Win for TOR.

Presumably Ottawa adds Elisha Cuthbert to its population, so that's a win for the city anyway. :mrgreen:

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

ecbm wrote:Garbage in, garbage out-with the weird exception that somehow the team giving up a #3/4 D on $7M per until 2021 got the best prospect (Lindberg) and a 2nd. Win for TOR.

Presumably Ottawa adds Elisha Cuthbert to its population, so that's a win for the city anyway. :mrgreen:
This^ and I'm willing to bet Michalek gets flipped before the deadline.

They will keep Cowen who was a decent prospect, but has seemed to regress. Toronto will see if he picks up his game in a new city/new coach....pretty much a younger less producing Phanuef. If not I can see them moving him again at the draft or next years deadline.

Lindberg and a 2nd good for Toronto and Sens needed the D and could care less about the cap hit. Toronto wins but Sens hopefully get what they needed.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

APOD wrote:They will keep Cowen who was a decent prospect, but has seemed to regress. Toronto will see if he picks up his game in a new city/new coach....pretty much a younger less producing Phanuef. If not I can see them moving him again at the draft or next years deadline.
Or they could buy him out and it wouldn't be too painful. The Leafs have gotten a lot of payroll flexibility from their recent trades. They may actually be...decent...soon
:aaaa:

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

ecbm wrote:
APOD wrote:They will keep Cowen who was a decent prospect, but has seemed to regress. Toronto will see if he picks up his game in a new city/new coach....pretty much a younger less producing Phanuef. If not I can see them moving him again at the draft or next years deadline.
Or they could buy him out and it wouldn't be too painful. The Leafs have gotten a lot of payroll flexibility from their recent trades. They may actually be...decent...soon
:aaaa:
True but he is also a RFA after next season, I think it would be easier to trade him off and let some other team try to resign him for what he is actually worth.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Cowan I think is worth their while to try and "fix." I don't know what the guy's problem is: maybe send him down to the Marlies for some more seasoning? But it seems they got Cowan as the "main" return.

The rest of those guys, and lots of players on the Maple Leafs for that matter, are all on one year deals so they get a free look at these guys and decide the offseason what they want to do.

And again the Leafs get another high draft pick to add to the stockpile.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

WaukeeBlues wrote: But it seems they got Cowan as the "main" return.
If Cowan recovers any sort of form this trade becomes so lopsided it's hard to compute. The second rounder and a borderline blue-chip prospect in Lindberg are the guaranteed return though.

Wonder what a savvy GM could get for Bouwmeester... :mrgreen:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

ecbm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: But it seems they got Cowan as the "main" return.
If Cowan recovers any sort of form this trade becomes so lopsided it's hard to compute. The second rounder and a borderline blue-chip prospect in Lindberg are the guaranteed return though.

Wonder what a savvy GM could get for Bouwmeester... :mrgreen:
Didn't know about Lindberg, I just hockeydb stat checked him. He put up some really good numbers in the OHL last season and 22 points in 37 games with Binghampton this year. Seems to be a gamble like any of the other guys.

More than anything like I said earlier in the thread the Maple Leafs can let most of these guys walk after this year to clear up even MORE cap space.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

WaukeeBlues wrote:More than anything like I said earlier in the thread the Maple Leafs can let most of these guys walk after this year to clear up even MORE cap space.
Yep. That, with the tons of money they have, along with Lamoriello being there makes me think that the '17-18 Leafs could be a very different proposition...