Our Struggles are Offensive

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our Struggles are Offensive

Post by cprice12 »

The offense can't bust through with anything substantial on a consistent basis and the power play is in a major funk.
Bad combo. The PP can't even bail out the sputtering 5 on 5 offense.

We are 3rd in the West, but have the least goals scored of the top 7 teams in the West (9th overall in goals scored in the West).
Of the top 5 teams in the West, we have the worst goal differential by far...we're even.

Even after Schwartz gets back...I think they still need to make a move to bring someone in. We all expect Schwartz to come in and save the day...but if you remember, Schwartz didn't have a goal in his 7 games played this year. Yes, small sample size I know...but still. He wasn't tearing it up when he got hurt. He was struggling and couldn't buy a goal. So expectations should be curbed a bit with him, at least until he gets back up to full speed, which might take a week or two after he comes back. This team does have a very good record with Schwartz in the lineup though...so we'll see.

We've had far better teams that have been bounced in the 1st rd. the past few years because of our lack of offense. And I am not comfortable AT ALL with what we have right now up front. It's disturbing how bad we have been and it approaching the point of it not just being a slump that we'll snap out of...it's been going on for some time now.

I guess we'll see how we fair with Schwartz back, but man.

Lehtera is playing like a major bust. (not news) He has been since the halfway point of last season. Still pissed about his contract extension. I said it was stupid at the time to sign him to that deal without him getting more games under his belt in the NHL and that has become obvious to everyone now. How is it that someone like me can see that but Armstrong and company didn't? He got off to a decent start in the first 6 or 7 games of the year and he had a nice middle of January, but that has been it. 21 pts. in 54 games. That is a 32 pt. pace for a whole season. Awful for a guy who was expected to put up over twice that and now there is the possibility we are stuck with another bad contract. But hey...he is a +6, so I guess that's worth a $4.7 million cap hit starting next season. Ugh.

Berglund isn't going to do much offensively. He never does. 6 pts. in 14 games is actually a fantastic pace for him, but, hold the phone...he has cooled off after his nice start after returning and has no pts. in his last 6 games...so in other words, typical Berglund has returned. But hey, he backchecks well. So he's valuable. :|

Brouwer just isn't a great point producer. I mean, I like him...but he is a 3rd line guy at best. Yet he gets too much time on the top two lines. He has 21 pts. in 54 games. And not to straight up compare him to Oshie, but we did trade Oshie for him, so... And Oshie put up 55 pts. in 72 games last season. Brouwer's pace this season puts him at 28 pts. for 72 games. That's HALF the points of the guy we traded him for. (Oshie is on pace for 47 pts. this year with Washington). We didn't expect him to put up Oshie numbers, but we expected better than this. And Brouwer's pace for goals scored is way down compared to his last two seasons with Washington. He is on pace for 15 goals, which would be his worst total since '08-'09.

Backes is having an awful year. He usually has slow starts and then turns it up, but he hasn't turned it up yet and is running out of time. He is on pace for his worst offensive season since '07-'08, his 2nd year in the NHL. He's only averaging .51 pts. per game. He needs to get 30 pts. in his last 28 games if he is going to be about where we need him to be. And that isn't happening. He is on pace for half of that.

Fabbri is/was a bright spot, but he has cooled off lately. He only had 5 pts. in January. But I think I speak for everyone when I say they need to keep playing him on the top two lines.

Steen only has 7 pts. since January 1st after a real nice start to the season. I'm not concerned with Steen though.

Jaskin is a bust. 3 goals in 48 games. Are you kidding me? A lot of people were expecting big things from his this year. I thought he'd be a 20+ goal guy for sure. At that pace, he'll be lucky to get 5 goals...and that's playing a full 82 game season...which he won't hit.

The fact that Paajarvi and his whopping 5 pts. in 34 games is even on this roster just shows how pathetic this offense has been. To put it into perspective, Reaves and Paajarvi both have 2 goals this year.

Tarasenko is our only real threat offensively right now, and even he has gone cold. He only has 1 goal and 1 assist in the past 11 games. But, he gets a pass as he has been so good for us overall. And you expect him to get back on track soon...hopefully.

And there are rumors that Shattenkirk will get moved? Our best offensive option on the blue line? Granted, he only has 2 pts. in his last 12 games...but still. We know what we will get in the end with him and that is good production from the point. I guess it depends what we get in return...but man. I still don't think he is going anywhere unless we get blown away with an offer, which doesn't happen.

Of course...all of this will be forgiven if they crank it up during the playoffs and go deep. But based on how this team is playing, the expectations for this season for me, right now, are probably as low as they have been in 5 years. This team needs a change of some sort. Maybe Schwartz coming back will add the spark they need. But I'm guessing they'll need a little more than just him coming back. I'd be shocked if a trade isn't made to bring in some offense.

------
TL;DR - Our offense has sucked badly. Might be in trouble with how guys are trending. Schwartz might not be enough. A trade needs to be made.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Our Struggles are Offensive

Post by Kerfuffle »

cprice12 wrote:Brouwer just isn't a great point producer. I mean, I like him...but he is a 3rd line guy at best. Yet he gets too much time on the top two lines. He has 21 pts. in 54 games. And not to straight up compare him to Oshie, but we did trade Oshie for him, so... And Oshie put up 55 pts. in 72 games last season. Brouwer's pace this season puts him at 28 pts. for 72 games. That's HALF the points of the guy we traded him for. (Oshie is on pace for 47 pts. this year with Washington). We didn't expect him to put up Oshie numbers, but we expected better than this. And Brouwer's pace for goals scored is way down compared to his last two seasons with Washington. He is on pace for 15 goals, which would be his worst total since '08-'09.
I mentioned this about Brouwer when you guys traded for him. He's basically a vanilla forward. Oshie > Brouwer

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

We are struggling offensively but surprisingly enough you didn't mention Stasny who I think is the biggest let down of the entire group when you consider Production vs. Salary in relation to TOI. This guy was billed as the playmaking 1st line center who would make those around him better and all we get is a let down.

Actually, I am beginning to think it all boils down to management and expectation level. There is a ton of talent and depth on this team and I'm not handing out excuses for the players but....the coach has to set that level and I don't think Hitch has it in him to push his players the way they need to be pushed.

I am still hoping the Blues hit their stride this spring and carry that into the playoffs. I don't really care where they finish as long as they make the playoffs and I'd rather a team get momentum a couple weeks before playoffs begin and carry that through.

I guess what I am getting at is that we need changes in coaching and not players.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

The Flake wrote:We are struggling offensively but surprisingly enough you didn't mention Stasny who I think is the biggest let down of the entire group when you consider Production vs. Salary in relation to TOI. This guy was billed as the playmaking 1st line center who would make those around him better and all we get is a let down.

Actually, I am beginning to think it all boils down to management and expectation level. There is a ton of talent and depth on this team and I'm not handing out excuses for the players but....the coach has to set that level and I don't think Hitch has it in him to push his players the way they need to be pushed.

I am still hoping the Blues hit their stride this spring and carry that into the playoffs. I don't really care where they finish as long as they make the playoffs and I'd rather a team get momentum a couple weeks before playoffs begin and carry that through.

I guess what I am getting at is that we need changes in coaching and not players.
I had Stastny on there, then edited what I said, took it out and was going to put him back in and forgot. Oops.

But yeah...Stastny is actually not having a terrible year point-wise. He is averaging .67 ppt, which is good for 24 pts. in 36 games is a 55 pt. pace over an 82 game season. That is down from his career average of .85 ppg, but still better than most other players on this team. But with that said...yeah...he is way overpaid. And he just isn't doing it for me. He gets SOME points, but he just isn't the impact player we need him to be. He misses too many opportunities to set guys up and to put the puck in the net, and he seems invisible for long periods of time. BUT...we got him for his playoff abilities, so that is what I am clinging to with him. I'm not going to consider him a bust signing until after the playoffs are over. We'll see what he does. Hopefully he's better than his 1 pt. in 6 games from last playoffs. He had better be anyway.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

We are going to find out before Feb 29th.

While the Blues and Blackhawks have the fewest games remaining before the playoffs - 8 of 11 teams the Blues face the rest of February are currently in playoff positions and a few are fighting for the wildcard spots 3 in the West and Carolina, while not currently in, is within reach of a spot in the East.

So, while the Blues will likely make the playoffs, they are going to be tested up to the trade deadline.

After that, 11 of 17 games are against teams currently in the playoffs with the breaks being almost exclusively the trip to Western Canada.

Unless we see a change in coaching philosophy to match what they were doing to start the season - i.e. playing talent ahead of grinders instead of what is currently happening - Blues will make the playoffs, struggle to score, lose in the 1st round again due to the lack of scoring thanks to idiotic coaching, and they will finally fire Hitchcock. Don't see it happening before then.

If anyone thinks bringing in talent will work, it better be veteran talent, otherwise Hitch will bury him on the 3rd/4th line, not give him any 4-4 time, and barely give him any power play time. Ask Fabbri.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If the offensive woes continue, which they probably will, I wouldn't necessarily be against bringing in some kids the last few weeks to get their feet wet and then into the playoffs. I'm talking Rattie, Barbashev, Blais--an injection of offense that may help. If the team is only scoring 1 or 2 goals a game, they're not winning anything in the playoffs anyway so why not try to get the youth in? With the way the bottom 6 is structured and the system in place, a first round exit is inevitable. At least the kids might be just green enough to not understand the situation.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by evil roy »

This team's problems are entirely behind the bench. Hitch is simply incapable of loosing the reins on the offense. His system relies on relentless puck pursuit, defense at the expense of offense and 110% effort at all times. This works best against teams that are not offensively gifted and/or willing to expend the energy, but against teams with more dynamic offenses and, more importantly teams who are willing to out-hustle us, it's a recipe for disaster. And as we've seen (repeatedly) the playoffs come and the Blues find themselves facing teams who are able to shift it into 5th gear--unfortunately, Hitch's system has had the boys in 5th gear all season long and come crunch time they have nowhere else to go.

There may be some players not performing to expectations but I would contend that given the system which they are forced to play judging ANY of them is impossible because quite honestly none of us has yet seen what they are truly capable of. Except Berglund--the guy's a stiff.
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cprice12 wrote:Brouwer just isn't a great point producer. I mean, I like him...but he is a 3rd line guy at best. Yet he gets too much time on the top two lines. He has 21 pts. in 54 games. And not to straight up compare him to Oshie, but we did trade Oshie for him, so... And Oshie put up 55 pts. in 72 games last season. Brouwer's pace this season puts him at 28 pts. for 72 games. That's HALF the points of the guy we traded him for. (Oshie is on pace for 47 pts. this year with Washington). We didn't expect him to put up Oshie numbers, but we expected better than this. And Brouwer's pace for goals scored is way down compared to his last two seasons with Washington. He is on pace for 15 goals, which would be his worst total since '08-'09.
I mentioned this about Brouwer when you guys traded for him. He's basically a vanilla forward. Oshie > Brouwer
They both suck in the playoffs so it's kind of a wash if you ask me.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the players.
This is the most talent we've seen on a Blues team in a long time.
Hitch should have never been signed on for another year. This is what those idiots get!
2 kickass goalies getting squat for help. Dump and chase ftw!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the players.
This is the most talent we've seen on a Blues team in a long time.
Hitch should have never been signed on for another year. This is what those idiots get!
2 kickass goalies getting squat for help. Dump and chase ftw!
:okman: :okman:
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Kerfuffle wrote: mentioned this about Brouwer when you guys traded for him. He's basically a vanilla forward. Oshie > Brouwer
True and true. Really it was a glorified salary dump with the bonus of getting another of the sort of player Hitch likes for a year. Brouwer won't be re-signed, that's for sure.
The Flake wrote:We are struggling offensively but surprisingly enough you didn't mention Stasny who I think is the biggest let down of the entire group when you consider Production vs. Salary in relation to TOI.
He's not lighting up like some expected. BUT: his ppg extrapolated over a full season gives him 58-a total he surpassed only once since 2009-10 (scored 70 playing 2 more minutes a night than now), by two, in his walk year. I find myself wondering what some people expected of this guy. As for his salary-his is one of my favorites of Armstrong's contracts. Yes, the yearly hit is high. Could he have been gotten at $5.5M per or maybe even $5M? Maybe. If you give him 6-7 years. Given his fragility physically so far, I'd say it was wise to avoid that. Brandon Saad got $6M per for 6 years. His only advantage over Stastny is youth...but I thought that was supposed to make a player cheaper? Anyway, this is the market now.

The only reason Stastny might not appear to make an "impact" is that people have already forgotten the years of picking up a Derek Roy every summer and crossing our fingers.
The Flake wrote:I guess what I am getting at is that we need changes in coaching and not players.
Amen to that. If virtually everybody on the team is struggling, how can that not be? I mean, yeah, Lehtera has fallen off. Perhaps due to constantly changing lines and mainly playing with garbage on his wings?

Why do Berglund and Brouwer get 2.5 and 4 more minutes each night than Fabbri?

Why do Petro & Bouwmeester get minutes like they're head-and-shoulders above Parayko and Shattenkirk in quality?

Why are Jaskin and Pajaarvi playing every night, regardless of production?

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

I think alot of it has to do with Hitch's line decisions. I'm really hoping he is just tinkering until Schwarz gets back. I'm thinking when he does he will do the obvious and have set lines of:

Vlad/Lehtera/Schwarz

Steen/Backes/Brouwer ( I still think this line is a solid #2 with this combination )

Berglund/Statsny/Fabri (I'd actually love to see Ratti in Berglunds spot though via a trade for a future pick)

Reaves/Brod/Upshall (not an awful fourth line and will bring energy in the playoffs)

If he doesn't start rolling these lines, he's an idiot.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

ecbm wrote:Anyway, this is the market now.
Oh, speaking of that market...Dustin Byfuglien will now get $7.3M/season until he's 37. :aaaa:

Gotta keep things like that in mind when evaluating contracts.