CHL Top Prospects game....

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

CHL Top Prospects game....

Post by theohall »

Having watched the World Jr's and now this CHL/NHL prospects game and knowing the Blues will have to draft later in the first, if this Pierre Luc Dubois kid is available later in the 1st, he's worth it.

Solid defensively as a forward, skates hard, works hard, strong in the offensive zone, looks like a kid playing for a Selke trophy while still being strong on offense.

Of course, given this showing he'll be gone by #10.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: CHL Top Prospects game....

Post by APOD »

If we have certain trade-able assets come draft day, I would love to see us trade down or add a second 1st round pick.

Matthew Tkachuk
Logan Brown
Alex Debrincat

There are four St. Louis kids projected to go in the first round

Matthew Tkachuk- London Knights OHL
Logan Brown-Windsor Spitfires OHL
Like Kunin- Wisonson Badger/ could move on to the Sarnia Sting OHL
Clayton keller- US-U18 Agree to Boston U for next year

I think that says a lot about our programs in the St. Louis area, regardless of who some of these kids dads are.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

They would have to trade up to get Brown or Tkachuk, most likely.

Debrincat has turned into a head case when playing on the bigger stages - World Jrs, the prospects game. Just making dumb decisions when everyone can watch him. He's hurt his position playing in these games, IMO.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

theohall wrote:They would have to trade up to get Brown or Tkachuk, most likely.

Debrincat has turned into a head case when playing on the bigger stages - World Jrs, the prospects game. Just making dumb decisions when everyone can watch him. He's hurt his position playing in these games, IMO.
I agree seems like he is trying to hard to show himself, he is a fantastic passer, but he can't be trying to do stuff on his own. I still think with some good grooming he would be good asset to the team another C/LW.

Say we still had Shatty and our first by draft day is it plausible to trade into the top 5. Would be fantastic to get anyone in the top 10 but if we could score Tkachuk that would be magical.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

theohall wrote:Having watched the World Jr's and now this CHL/NHL prospects game and knowing the Blues will have to draft later in the first, if this Pierre Luc Dubois kid is available later in the 1st, he's worth it.

Solid defensively as a forward, skates hard, works hard, strong in the offensive zone, looks like a kid playing for a Selke trophy while still being strong on offense.

And now Dubois is ranked #1 among Central Scoutings North American prospects supplanting Matthew Tkachuk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
theohall wrote:Having watched the World Jr's and now this CHL/NHL prospects game and knowing the Blues will have to draft later in the first, if this Pierre Luc Dubois kid is available later in the 1st, he's worth it.

And now Dubois is ranked #1 among Central Scoutings North American prospects supplanting Matthew Tkachuk
Was just about to say that. No way we're getting him.

It'd be beyond cool to see Tkachuk in the bluenote one day but I obviously doubt it unless he's a big 'ole bust or it's the ever rare type of trade like we just saw with a straight up Johansen for Seth Jones.

I want American teams to get in the top 3 for the draft, which is unlikely, but in one of my draftsimulations.com I DID get Columbus and Colorado for the first and second overall picks.

I'm also cheering for the Maple Leafs. They have one of the most rabid fan bases in the world for any sport and they've gone longer than anyone since their last title. I think they'll get there. They finally have good drivers behind the wheel.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Short of winning the Cup this season, they'll absolutely have to consider the possibility of going to a more full-on transition to the new core that Army spoke about last season. If they don't win it all this year, I don't really see Backes coming back. I can also envision a shift on defense away from some of the older guys (Bouwmeester, we're looking at you) and I can imagine the possibility, as far fetched as it seemed months ago, of trading the 1st and Shattenkirk to move into the top 5. No way, no how, is this team trading to get the 1st overall, but top 5 is realistic. I'd be cool with anyone they could get there, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Laine, Dubois--all great options.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:Short of winning the Cup this season, they'll absolutely have to consider the possibility of going to a more full-on transition to the new core that Army spoke about last season. If they don't win it all this year, I don't really see Backes coming back. I can also envision a shift on defense away from some of the older guys (Bouwmeester, we're looking at you) and I can imagine the possibility, as far fetched as it seemed months ago, of trading the 1st and Shattenkirk to move into the top 5. No way, no how, is this team trading to get the 1st overall, but top 5 is realistic. I'd be cool with anyone they could get there, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Laine, Dubois--all great options.
From what's been discussed on NHL network radio the top 3 picks are pretty solidified and beyond that it's more open. I guess the network really likes Auston Matthews #1 then the two Finns then there's a lot of debate beyond that.

We all expected there to be some movement (or at least I did) in draft spots #3-10 last year at the draft and diddly squat happened.

This isn't like the late 90's and 00's when teams were trading around top selections at the draft any more. It's no longer a secret that key to success in the salary cap era is smart drafting and developing and teams treat those top picks as premiums and unless you're willing to get fleeced I really don't see anything happening in the top selections in the draft this season, or any year really.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

So we're talking about the Blues dealing their best D for a pick and starting a rebuild on the cusp of the playoffs after a 107-point season in which the squad was literally never fully healthy and in which it was coached by a dinosaur? Blues fans truly are shell-shocked.

The oldest difference maker on this team (no, I do not count Bouwmeester) is Backes at 31. There is no need to tear anything down-if it doesn't work out this time, get a new coach, hopefully name a starting goalie for the whole year, say by-by to a couple FAs, add a couple more and make another run.

I'm really not down to watch this team spend 15 of 20 years in rebuilding mode.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Oh, and on the subject of futures & trades: anyone here still wishing the Blues had taken the Bruins' approach at the deadline?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

ecbm wrote:Oh, and on the subject of futures & trades: anyone here still wishing the Blues had taken the Bruins' approach at the deadline?
And to think many were upset we didn't give up something for Eriksson.

#4 and #5 in the draft are Pierre-Luc Dubois and Matthew Tkachuk. DuBois could easily be taken ahead of the top 2 Finns and no one would say it was a mistake. He plays alot like Alexander Steen. Puljujarvi and Laine playing in the Finnish league while DuBois and Tkachuk being in North American leagues might work against the Finns somewhat.

As far as I'm concerned, those top 5 are all great picks - Matthews is the clear #1.

Oilers fans might wind up ticked off again. Among the top 20 skaters between European and North American skaters, there are only 4 defenseman - all North American and none higher ranked than 4th. So it looks like the Oilers will be drafting yet another forward unless they trade out for an experienced defenseman, which would not surprise me with Chiarelli as the GM.