GDT #42: 1/4/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Senators | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #42: 1/4/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Senators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

No Yahoo preview yet, so you'll have to do with NHL.com's short and sweet preview for now.
SENATORS (18-15-6) at BLUES (23-14-4)

TV: RDS, TSN5, FS-MW

Season series: The Ottawa Senators and St. Louis Blues split two games last season, each winning 3-2 on the road. The Senators won the most recent matchup on Nov. 25, 2014 in a shootout on Bobby Ryan's game-deciding goal. Alexander Steen, who scored in each game, had the game-winner at Ottawa on Nov. 22, 2014.

Senators team scope: Ottawa will wrap up a quick two-game trip after a 3-0 loss at the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday. Goalie Andrew Hammond could get the start Monday; Craig Anderson allowed two goals on 29 shots Sunday. The Senators have been shut out in back-to-back games and haven't scored in the past 135:38; they've lost three in a row. Ottawa is 1-5-0 in the second of back-to-back games but has won the past two games in St. Louis, winning each in a shootout.

Blues team scope: St. Louis was without center David Backes at practice on Sunday, but coach Ken Hitchcock said his captain will be in the lineup Monday. "Maintenance day, he'll be in tomorrow," Hitchcock said of Backes. "We reserve right to change our lineup tomorrow a little bit, but David will be in." Goalie Brian Elliott will start Monday. The Blues have gone 138:05 without a 5-on-5 goal, which was scored by defenseman Kevin Skattenkirk. For forwards, the drought has gone 147:56; the most-recent goal was scored by rookie Robby Fabbri. "It's adversity everyone faces throughout the year," center Paul Stastny said. "It's frustrating at times, but you try not to let it bother you. The minute we start playing too hesitant, too tentative and start worrying too much about that, that's when you get in trouble."

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #42: 1/4/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Senators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by glen a richter »

Who cares? We all know they'll lose. Whether it's 3-1, 4-1, 5-1 they'll lose. My confidence in this team is nearing rock bottom.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Starting to feel like a totally lost season. Product on the ice is crap for long stretches of time but there's no indication of any plans to do anything about that. Ridiculousness over Berglund is depressing-not only in specifics but in showing how very out of touch the club and journalists covering it are with the fans.

The Blues have 15 of their 23 wins against crap teams and are 8-11 vs. teams who would make the playoffs. Feasting on the bottom of the league, again.

*sighs*

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

It's not THAT bad. Yes, they are not performing well now (they are playing like they do in the playoffs), but I wouldn't say this is rock bottom. Our enthusiasm level may be rock bottom, but aside from this recent stretch of poor performance, we're not in too bad of shape overall. There's still a lot of season left.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

gaijin wrote:It's not THAT bad. Yes, they are not performing well now (they are playing like they do in the playoffs), but I wouldn't say this is rock bottom. Our enthusiasm level may be rock bottom, but aside from this recent stretch of poor performance, we're not in too bad of shape overall. There's still a lot of season left.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:
It's true...I look at our record and my attitude towards the team doesn't jive with how 'good' the Blues look in the standings. That said, I feel like the team just isn't...inspiring with their performances. Even when they win, they just don't feel like a special team. They're not taking over games. They're not a team that shows poise over 60 minutes...or sometimes even over 40 minutes. The Blues are currently in 'Hangover III' territory. We've seen this movie before and really, it's just a diluted copy of a copy that already lost it's luster.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

What's frustrating is there are these 10-15 minute periods where the Blues appear to be playing dominant hockey, but they aren't scoring goals during those stretches.

Then, the opponent finally breaks out and scores on some crap goal either off a deflection or with the D falling asleep.

If the Blues played a 60 minute game like the good 10-15 minute stretches, they would be winning more games, but they don't appear to be a 60 minute hockey team right now.

Throwing Berglund immediately on to the 2nd line was just plain dumb. Even during the broadcast, the mediots state "He sure must be happy to be on a line with Paajarvi, because Paajarvi does all that dirty work. Berglund must be grateful not to have to do that work." Duh. Berglund rarely ever works anyway. Too bad the media lovefest with him won't acknowledge that negative aspect of his game more often.

Allen can steal games, but the Blues need to score goals - especially 5-on-5 - and that's just not happening. Can't miss open nets like the two missed vs Toronto.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

dmiles2186 wrote:It's true...I look at our record and my attitude towards the team doesn't jive with how 'good' the Blues look in the standings. That said, I feel like the team just isn't...inspiring with their performances. Even when they win, they just don't feel like a special team. They're not taking over games. They're not a team that shows poise over 60 minutes...or sometimes even over 40 minutes. The Blues are currently in 'Hangover III' territory. We've seen this movie before and really, it's just a diluted copy of a copy that already lost it's luster.
THIS.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Frusciante wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:It's true...I look at our record and my attitude towards the team doesn't jive with how 'good' the Blues look in the standings. That said, I feel like the team just isn't...inspiring with their performances. Even when they win, they just don't feel like a special team. They're not taking over games. They're not a team that shows poise over 60 minutes...or sometimes even over 40 minutes. The Blues are currently in 'Hangover III' territory. We've seen this movie before and really, it's just a diluted copy of a copy that already lost it's luster.
THIS.
:plusplus:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote: It's true...I look at our record and my attitude towards the team doesn't jive with how 'good' the Blues look in the standings. That said, I feel like the team just isn't...inspiring with their performances. Even when they win, they just don't feel like a special team. They're not taking over games. They're not a team that shows poise over 60 minutes...or sometimes even over 40 minutes. The Blues are currently in 'Hangover III' territory. We've seen this movie before and really, it's just a diluted copy of a copy that already lost it's luster.
You're exactly right- they just don't "feel" like a team that has the ability to go deep. To be honest, I felt better about our teams the last 2 years compared to this one. And we all remember how those seasons ended. But I do remember worse times...

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

dmiles2186 wrote:
It's true...I look at our record and my attitude towards the team doesn't jive with how 'good' the Blues look in the standings. That said, I feel like the team just isn't...inspiring with their performances. Even when they win, they just don't feel like a special team. They're not taking over games. They're not a team that shows poise over 60 minutes...or sometimes even over 40 minutes. The Blues are currently in 'Hangover III' territory. We've seen this movie before and really, it's just a diluted copy of a copy that already lost it's luster.
Up to this point, this is the 15-16 Blues in a nutshell. Well said.

3-1 Sens

Break up the KH/DA bromance.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I have to think that Armstrong knows his job is on the line just as much as Hitchcock's and what may happen is a rash trade to shake shit up. It's kind of funny, after I posted the thing about Drouin last night, not even a couple minutes later Twitter exploded with tweets about that very topic, as well as also some mentions of Ryan Johansen. We talk a lot about "if the price was right" but the piss poor way this team is playing, what would be the wrong price? I wouldn't be especially squeemish about Pietrangelo going the other way. He just doesn't play up to his billing. He's not a top pairing d-man though he gets top pairing minutes. Are they trying to justify the draft position? I'd maybe investigate Pie for Johansen.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

For whatever reason, I still believe in Pietrangelo and would like to see him under a different coach. Remember when he got smoked by DJ King's brother in the '12 Playoffs and it felt catastrophic? He scored 12 goals that year. I miss that dude. He still executes a flawless pokecheck or a world class dangle that reminds me of him.

However, if he continues down this path his value won't get any higher. And you have to give to get.

I just worry about any young, skilled forward with ole wide body behind the bench. Hitchcock would bury Drouin. He won't even give Fabbri a chance in OT and he gets snarky when the tissue soft STL media asks him about it. Might as well cling to their good defensive depth as long as he's the head coach.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

more garbage Blues hockey.
:facepalm:

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

Where is a link to the chat room?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

What. The. (Frank). was that?

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

(Franking) pathetic.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

tjk002 wrote:Where is a link to the chat room?
Just saw this. For future reference...

http://us19.chatzy.com/79826077640952

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

(Frank) this (Franking) team.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

Hitch has got to go and take his buddy Armstrong with him. End of story.

I've seen enough of Berglund already, Paajarvi is awful, Petro is not a top 4 defenseman or even close. This team is slipping big time. Schwarz doesn't make that big of a difference.
Last edited by tjk002 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Our offense is beyond awful.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”