GDT #39: 12/29/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Predators | NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #39: 12/29/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Predators | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

PREDATORS (18-12-6) at BLUES (22-12-4)

TV: NBCSN, SNO, SNP

Season series: The St. Louis Blues have won each of the first two games against the Nashville Predators. Vladimir Tarasenko and David Backes scored in the third period of a 2-1 victory Dec. 17. Jake Allen made an NHL career-high 45 saves, and Alexander Steen had a goal and an assist in a 4-0 win in Nashville on Nov. 7. Allen has 72 saves in two games.

Predators team scope: Forward Filip Forsberg extended his point streak to five games (four goals, two assists) when he opened the scoring with a power-play goal in a 5-3 victory against the New York Rangers on Monday. He has four goals in the past four games after he had six in his first 32. Center Mike Ribeiro had three assists to extend his point streak to four games (one goal, seven assists). "I think when we're a team that brings emotion to the game, we're a different team," Ribeiro said. "We play with more energy to our game, and we're just faster at getting pucks, we're forechecking, we're creating turnovers. It's just hard to bring that every night, so you have to find a way to motivate yourself." Nashville, which was 3-1-0 on its four-game homestand, hasn't played a road game since Dec. 17 at St. Louis. The Predators begin a stretch in which they'll play 11 of 14 away from Bridgestone Arena. Goalie Pekka Rinne, the projected starter, is 0-5-2 in his past seven road games; he has not won on the road since a 3-2 victory against the Minnesota Wild on Nov. 5.

Blues team scope: Center Kyle Brodziak, who has missed five games with a lower-body injury stemming from a skate cut sustained in the Dec. 17 game against Nashville, could return to the lineup. Brodziak, who skated during an optional practice Monday, has been considered day-to-day. "I'm not sure what the plan is yet for tomorrow," Brodziak said. "I'm going to wait and see the rest of the day how it reacts and see how it feels in the morning. Hopefully things are going well. It'll be a coaching decision after that." St. Louis coach Ken Hitchcock feels if Brodziak isn't able to play Tuesday, he'll be ready to go Thursday against the Wild. Allen will start. Forward Patrik Berglund, who has missed the entire season following shoulder surgery Aug. 28, said Monday he has been cleared for contact, but there is no timetable for a return to the lineup. The Blues have won three straight against the Predators. St. Louis has won three in a row at home and four of the past five.
The St. Louis Blues have used Jake Allen and some strong work on the power play to beat the Nashville Predators twice this season.

They figure to try to employ that formula once again Tuesday night as they seek their first four-game home win streak of the season.

Allen is 6-2-0 with a 1.62 goals-against average in his last eight starts and has yielded one goal in two against the Predators this season to improve to 3-0-0 as a starter against them.

St. Louis (22-12-4) features one of the league's best power plays at 20.9 percent and that unit has gone 3 for 5 in the season series. Vladimir Tarasenko, Colton Parayko and Alex Pietrangelo all tallied with the man advantage.

The Blues tested themselves against one of the league's elite teams in a home-and-home set against Dallas over the weekend. They won 3-2 in a shootout at home Saturday before falling 3-0 the next night.

"(Saturday) I think we got what we deserved, we played really well, it was good we were able to get two points," defenseman Jay Bouwmeester said. "(Sunday) we knew it was going to be a struggle for both teams and they just came out for whatever reason and got off to a better start and we didn't really respond the way we needed to."

Tarasenko had an eight-game streak in which he amassed 12 points snapped Sunday. He has seven points in a five-game run at home versus Nashville.

Allen made 22 saves to earn Saturday's win before Brian Elliott stopped 35 of 37 shots the next night when the Blues' No. 1 goalie rested.

"The part that disappoints everybody here," coach Ken Hitchcock said, "is (Elliott) battled like crazy, he made great saves, he kept us right there and we couldn't get a goal for him."

Nashville (18-12-6) completed a 3-1-0 homestand with Monday's 5-3 victory over the New York Rangers. Mike Ribeiro had one goal and seven assists in the four games, with three assists Monday.

"We're a team that responds pretty well against good teams so it's a matter of being focused every night," Ribeiro said.

James Neal scored twice and Filip Forsberg added a power-play goal to give him six points in a five-game run. Nashville converted both power-play chances and went 4 for 13 on the homestand.

"When our power play is scoring, it's usually a difference," center Mike Fisher said.

The Predators welcomed back Fisher from an 11-game absence due to a lower-body injury.

"Mike looked really good," coach Peter Laviolette said. "It's nice to have him back in there. He really provides a steadiness to our lineup."

Pekka Rinne made 26 saves. He has started both ends of a back-to-back once so Carter Hutton may get the nod Tuesday.

The Predators are beginning a three-game trip that include visits to Dallas and Carolina.

"We've got a tough three games coming up, two especially in our division that are huge," Fisher said."We've gotta get back at it tomorrow."

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

PGABluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Re: GDT #39: 12/29/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Predators | NBCSN/KMO

Post by PGABluesFan »

Gomez on Waivers.

Let's beat the Child Predators!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

PGABluesFan wrote:Gomez on Waivers.
To make room for Berglund, apparently. :facepalm:

In the past two seasons, Gomez has scored 42 points in 79 games while playing 13.5 minutes per game.

In his past two seasons, Berglund has scored 59 points in 159 games while playing 15 minutes per game.

I guess it's the right thing to do if the guy isn't going to get playing time but still, I can think of a few forwards I'd put behind him on the depth chart (looking at you, Berglund, Paajarvi, Brodziak, Ott and Reaves).

Again, :facepalm:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Berglund... yayy. :facepalm:
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:Berglund... yayy. :facepalm:
Yep. And lest it be forgotten:

1.) he's not a prospect. He'll be 28 in June.

2.) He's grossly overpaid at $3.6 per.

3.) He has a no-trade clause.

Thanks, Army. :roll:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

That makes me surprisingly sad that Gomez was placed on waivers. From the games I've seen this year he played pretty well! He was feeding Fabbri earlier in the season, I remember that much.

This stinks.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

ecbm wrote:
PGABluesFan wrote:Gomez on Waivers.
To make room for Berglund, apparently. :facepalm:

In the past two seasons, Gomez has scored 42 points in 79 games while playing 13.5 minutes per game.

In his past two seasons, Berglund has scored 59 points in 159 games while playing 15 minutes per game.

I guess it's the right thing to do if the guy isn't going to get playing time but still, I can think of a few forwards I'd put behind him on the depth chart (looking at you, Berglund, Paajarvi, Brodziak, Ott and Reaves).

Again, :facepalm:
Will that clear enough cap space? I thought it would take a significant amount more, but I don't follow that aspect of the game that closely.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

Berglund has played well in the past. Back when we were rolling Perron, Berglund and Oshie, I remember people saying they thought Berglund was best of the three. Here's hoping that's the Berglund that returns to the ice.

In reality though... an older Berglund, fresh off injury and surgery... :|

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Jaskin bats in a rebound!!! Blues lead 1-0!!! Not ruled offside, after review.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

-1 on the power play!

:doh:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Beautiful patient play by Fabbri to skate right around the defenceman and pop it by the goalie!!! 2-1 Blues!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Shattenkirk blasts the puckright by Hutton (slightly deflected)!!! Blues lead 3-1!

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Not sure why they didn't seem to really try during that power play? Now 3-2 Blues.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

And now it's tied with less than a minute to go...

:facepalm:

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Lol, 19 shots.

Sent from my R2 unit

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

VERY disappointing. The other team on the back end of a back-to-back, and The Blues are outhustled all game long. Then, with 5 minutes left they get a power play, and just sit on it, without even trying to score. They can't even win puck battles, and end up giving up 2 goals in the last 4 minutes. TERRIBLE.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Steen rifles it past Hutton! Blues win 4-3!!!!!

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Great to get the win but lame to give up an unnecessary point with a 2-goal lead and less than 4 minutes left.

Glass 1/2 full. :shock:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:That makes me surprisingly sad that Gomez was placed on waivers. From the games I've seen this year he played pretty well! He was feeding Fabbri earlier in the season, I remember that much.

This stinks.
The last few games I saw Gomez play he wasn't quite the same, which is partially why he wasn't playing as much.

I think we all saw this one coming though.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:That makes me surprisingly sad that Gomez was placed on waivers. From the games I've seen this year he played pretty well! He was feeding Fabbri earlier in the season, I remember that much.

This stinks.
The last few games I saw Gomez play he wasn't quite the same, which is partially why he wasn't playing as much.

I think we all saw this one coming though.
I noticed the same, and suspect it's at least in part due to being told he was just playing out the string.

Also yes, saw it coming because, hey, gotta justify that absurd contract. :facepalm: