New ASG Format

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

New ASG Format

Post by glen a richter »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 06768.html

All I can say is what in the holy hell is this epic shit?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: New ASG Format

Post by evil roy »

I'm fairly certain reading that gave me epilepsy.
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The All-Star game hasn't been a game for years. It's been nothing more than an offensive show case. So why not change it up to gin up interest?

Go ahead and F with the All-Star game all you want. Just don't F with the real games.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Sounds entertaining, which is what the ASG is supposed to be about.

I support this.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I still won't watch it, but that hasn't changed. I skim through the skills comp stuff and that's aboot it.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

:facepalm:

But really, what can I say? That I really, really won't watch it this year, even more than I haven't watched it in many years?

I'd rather watch them play a Ping-Pong tournament.

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

If I was a goalie, i wouldnt even bother turning up
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Fradi wrote:If I was a goalie, i wouldnt even bother turning up
It's not like goalies have done anything in the All-Star game for awhile now. You have to go all the way back to 1982 to find a game where one side didn't score more than 2 goals. Since 1988 the total goals have been...

and

The point of the All-Star game is to show off skill which the 3-on-3 format will showcase.

I need to have my head examined - defending the 3-on-3 format??

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

The tournament-style format should be entertaining. It actually gives them something to play for (at least in their intra-conference game).

Another plus:
Gone is also the entertaining fantasy draft, featuring sauced up NHL players picking their friends and providing plenty of candid moments.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:The tournament-style format should be entertaining. It actually gives them something to play for (at least in their intra-conference game).
Winning team gets to divvy up $1 Mil between the 11 players. So there might actually be effort involved.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

theohall wrote:Winning team gets to divvy up $1 Mil between the 11 players. So there might actually be effort involved.
$90K before tax? I guess that'd be a week of coke for Stoll.
theohall wrote:The point of the All-Star game is to show off scoring which the 3-on-3 format will showcase.
Defending and playing goal involve skill too.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

ecbm wrote:
theohall wrote:Winning team gets to divvy up $1 Mil between the 11 players. So there might actually be effort involved.
theohall wrote:The point of the All-Star game is to show off scoring which the 3-on-3 format will showcase.
Point taken. :)

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

ecbm wrote:
Thank you :-)
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Speaking of 90K (and getting a touch off topic) for a skills competition that's otherwise meaningless, and I don't know if they do this in the NHL as well, but I know MLB players, in addition to getting their regular salary also get daily meal allowances. What the hell is that all about? It's not like they make chump change and can't afford a damn sandwich. I guess the point I'm getting at is what does an established NHL star really give a toss about an extra 90K when they make pretty good money to begin with?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

goon attack wrote:Sounds entertaining, which is what the ASG is supposed to be about.

I support this.
Exactly my sentiment. This sounds fun. Except I'll kinda sorta have to root for Toews/Kane, ugh.

I'm guessing I'm in the minority here, but I've actually liked the 3 v 3 OT this year. I didn't like the idea at first, but it's been really entertaining. ASG is a perfect time for it.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:Speaking of 90K (and getting a touch off topic) for a skills competition that's otherwise meaningless, and I don't know if they do this in the NHL as well, but I know MLB players, in addition to getting their regular salary also get daily meal allowances. What the hell is that all about? It's not like they make chump change and can't afford a damn sandwich. I guess the point I'm getting at is what does an established NHL star really give a toss about an extra 90K when they make pretty good money to begin with?
I'm thinking the ASG prize money is going to go to charity, whether each division chooses one charity as a whole, or each player has his own chosen charity already (I know many do).

*edit: Although it is strange. It used to be that whomever was the All-Star Game MVP would get a new truck or something, which was what, $45-50k max? Now the League is shelling out $1 million? Why the sudden windfall?

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

glen a richter wrote:Speaking of 90K (and getting a touch off topic) for a skills competition that's otherwise meaningless, and I don't know if they do this in the NHL as well, but I know MLB players, in addition to getting their regular salary also get daily meal allowances. What the hell is that all about? It's not like they make chump change and can't afford a damn sandwich. I guess the point I'm getting at is what does an established NHL star really give a toss about an extra 90K when they make pretty good money to begin with?
Why does someone care about $90k? Did you seriously just ask that question?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller