Coaching Blueprint

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Coaching Blueprint

Post by APOD »

#1 "3v3 Overtime"
/videocenter/embed?playlist=834087

#2 "Drills"
/videocenter/embed?playlist=834248

#3 "Track & Reload"
/videocenter/embed?playlist=834409

#4 "Out of Shape"
/videocenter/embed?playlist=834525

#5 "Buying In"
/videocenter/embed?playlist=834673
Last edited by APOD on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coaching Blueprint

Post by cprice12 »

This is good stuff. It's more generalized, as they obviously aren't going to give away any type of game plan for other teams to see, but it's still interesting.

I could watch this stuff all day.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Same here I really liked today's video #3. Seems like a lot of people made fun of Hitch and his constant talk about buying in. It seems it was less about the buying into the system as it was to buying into your team and working together and I can see that high skilled players probably come with or grow bigger egos and getting them to put in the same amount of work is probably difficult, I was waiting for a Oshie reference there lol.

Video #2 where Hitch said he is going to sit in the stands the first three or more days of camp and observe made me bit happy, giving himself the opportunity to focus on individual players and plays without having to run those drills makes me think maybe the young guys will get a harder look. Just like us fans its easier to see the whole game from higher in the stands than at the glass.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I just noticed these videos today and watched them all. It's cool to get a little taste of the inner workings of things. I've been impressed by the different types of videos coming out the last couple seasons. They've obviously hired some new people or something. The content and quality has been vastly improved, IMO.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

video #4 is up

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Video #5 is up

Pretty interesting video, from what I gathered from it was that the veteran group and not even just the captains had a voice to be heard last year, if someone was "beating the drum about something it wasn't really addressed last year.

This year they are wanting to bring in the Captains or the whole veterans group to debate on certain ways they want to play or focus on, different objectives ect ect.

It blows my mind that the leadership group didn't have more say, I mean if the players feel something isn't working they should be able to speak up and have it addressed.

But good on the coaches for realizing this, you know the first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

APOD wrote:Video #5 is up

Pretty interesting video, from what I gathered from it was that the veteran group and not even just the captains had a voice to be heard last year, if someone was "beating the drum about something it wasn't really addressed last year.

This year they are wanting to bring in the Captains or the whole veterans group to debate on certain ways they want to play or focus on, different objectives ect ect.

It blows my mind that the leadership group didn't have more say, I mean if the players feel something isn't working they should be able to speak up and have it addressed.

But good on the coaches for realizing this, you know the first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one.
All of that plus the emergence of Tarasenko makes these discussions necessary. We actually have some skill players now and they should be allowed to take some chances offensively that maybe they wouldn't have been able to do in years past.

Too many times last season it felt like they were too heavily coached and robotic, and not allowed to play reactionary or counter what was thrown at them. I think the playoffs have proved that the team that adjusts, wins. We've been simply too predictable. You can get away with it during the regular season, but when the playoffs roll around, and you're the opposition's sole focus, it spells trouble if you can't adjust.

Giving the guys more say and freedom (as I took from this video) is certainly a step in the right direction. They know what's happening on the ice too, maybe even more than the coach at times, so their feedback, and the coaches actually listening to it, is vital.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Okay. Watching Video #5... Hitchcock needs to go.
Hitchcock wrote:We need more puck possession.
BS!!! The Blues led the Wild in puck possession and LOST in the first round of the playoffs. The Blues need to be going to the damn net more, working from in front, and putting more pucks on net, not possessing the friggin' puck more. Puck possession time is pointless if it's meaningless puck possession cycling behind the opponents net taking time off the clock and not generating any kind of scoring opportunity.

Going to repeat this again - Tampa Bay has it right in how to play today's game, just like the friggin' Blackhawks who don't spend 10 minutes a game cycling behind the opponents net. They work from in front of the opponents goal line out the majority of the time. Wish the friggin' Blues would learn this.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season