Oshie Traded to Caps for Brouwer, Prospect & Pick

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Oshie Traded to Caps for Brouwer, Prospect & Pick

Post by glen a richter »

In which universe outside of Blues fanland is Oshie a star player?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

You guys are slippin'!

How will the Oshie area be remembered?

Darkest day in Blues history?

:grin:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Oshie area will be remembered as one of a guy who went from being a drunken slob who did a piss poor interview about "unfortunately playing in St. Louis" to maturing into a national hero and one of the most overrated players in Blues history, as evidenced by the suggestion that #74 was/is a star player. Tarasenko, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos--these guys would be pissed at the suggestion that Oshie is a star player. That would make any of them one step above God.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Rumor: Oshie to Caps for 1st Rd. Pick

Post by dmiles2186 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Depressing. We essentially traded a star player for an inferior player. I would have liked to see a star-player for star-player, not a salary dump which it was this was. Star-players involved in package deals? No, thank you.

I wanted Oshie on the other end of a package deal, say Oshie, a prospect, and a draft pick for Malkin.
I don't consider Oshie a star by any means. He's reached his peak, I'd say. He's a 55-60 point guy and we've got several of those. I think this opens up a spot on the top line and Stastny will move up. Then you can put Backes on the wing. STL line will remain the same and you've now got Size Line with Berglund, Jaskin, and Brouwer.

It's a different look, for sure. And to boil it down to just Brouwer for Oshie isn't giving the trade a fair shake. I'm not saying it's a great trade. Oshie could certainly rack up some points if he's on a line with Ovechkin, but that doesn't mean he won't disappear in the playoffs again.

We got a goalie prospect, even if his scouting profile isn't the most spectacular thing, and a draft pick. I felt like we should have received more for Oshie, but it is a 3 for 1 deal nonetheless. It's not like we're trading Jonathan Toews here.

The one thing I'll say about Oshie is that he was the face of the rebuild movement post-2006. He had some trying days but he grew into it. I hate that he has to be the one to go from this group, but change was needed and I'm all for a move that ushers that in.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

I'm perfectly fine with this trade. I'm laughing at all the people in st louis butt hurt over it... My love affair with TJ was over long ago. I wish him good luck with the Caps though.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

glen a richter wrote:In which universe outside of Blues fanland is Oshie a star player?
Mike freakin' Shannon is a "Former star" for the St. Louis Cardinals. Dude was a career .255 hitter.

Screw Oshie. Fun player to watch 10% of the time. Nifty in shootouts. Useless in the playoffs. NEXT!
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

So are we better with Brouwer (and he's the only part that matters...we were ASSURED that the goalie was a strength, so the prospect is pointless, and the pick is pointless since we just gave up a guy that was a first-round pick for it) than Oshie? Are we a better team today than we were yesterday?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

As others have said, this likely moves Stastny to a top line, and replaced TJ's 20 ish goals, plus some extra. I'll take it.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:So are we better with Brouwer (and he's the only part that matters...we were ASSURED that the goalie was a strength, so the prospect is pointless, and the pick is pointless since we just gave up a guy that was a first-round pick for it) than Oshie? Are we a better team today than we were yesterday?
Brouwer vs Oshie is definitely the main part of judging the trade, but to ONLY look at that part is myopic. Brouwer isn't as good as Oshie. But, he's not a big step down from him either. And the cap space this opened up allows us to improve elsewhere (in theory).
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

The cap space is negligible (somewhere around 500K), and Brouwer only has one year left on his deal. So you're saying that we got worse?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

Oshie is without a doubt the best player in this trade. His shootout skills (which were a little off last year) won the Blues 3-4 games every year. That being said, we also got a prospect and a pick to play with. Will we regret getting rid of Osh for that reason alone...I don't think so but we'll hear about it if we miss the playoffs by two or three points...

I don't know what to think yet but if I were in the GM's position, I would have insisted on a 2nd round pick instead of a 3rd. Other than that, I'm good with this trade. Plus if Brower doesn't pan out we can get rid of his contract in a year right?

Moving forward, I think Osh would have been demoted to a lower line if he stayed with the Blues. This allows the no hassle juggling we need to do with our lines as well and no one gets butt hurt. The STL line can move up to #1 and our #2 line should be great now with Backes/Stasny/Steen.

Brower can float between the 2nd and 3rd line (mainly 3rd line) and will be happy there.

My main worry right now is that we will be seeing Ott / Bergland again next season. I hope they can trade them for a bag of pucks or something.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Seems like Brouwer is marginally worse player than Oshie production-wise. His goals are comparable/better while his assists are worse (makes sense for a guy who puts himself in front of the net and feeds off of redirections and rebounds).

But he is fast and big, two things Oshie is not quite. If he is added to the third line or even to the first line next to Backes and Steen, I only see good things.

Call me an optimist. Cause I am. :)
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

The Flake wrote:... Plus if Brower doesn't pan out we can get rid of his contract in a year right?...
Exactly. He's in a contract year and a bit overpaid anyway for what he brings. He has incentive to produce this season and if he doesn't, oh well, we let him go at the end of the season and have his cap hit to play with for other players. Win-win.
My main worry right now is that we will be seeing Ott / Bergland again next season. I hope they can trade them for a bag of pucks or something.
Army has a love affair with these two guys. I'd seriously doubt they get moved this season. Berglund maybe because I've heard some side comments about Army being disappointed but it was "because of injury." So if Berglund has another slow season and is healthy... we can hope.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm speculating here, but I'm not so sure that it's that Army loves Berglund as much as it is that he hasn't found a good return for him. I could be wrong. He did give him that contract a year ago. But, I've always just assumed he never found the return for him that he would like.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

here's the relevant blurbs from Scott Cullen's take on the trade:

"There is some concern that the Blues, having been unceremoniously bounced from the first round of the playoffs - again - sought a bigger and tougher solution to their problems, at the expense of skill. At a time when talented teams like Chicago and Tampa Bay played in the Stanley Cup Final, is it really advisable to sacrifice skill?"

I realize the question is rhetorical, so I will give a rhetorical answer; How does Armstrong still have a job?

"Verdict: In a straight-up swap of right wingers, it's a clear win for the Capitals; Oshie contributes more, has a higher ceiling than Brouwer and is signed for an additional year. At the same time, Copley's inclusion in the deal can't be ignored. If he becomes a legitimate NHL goaltender - and at this point, who knows? - then Copley could provide value to the Blues that might help balance out the scales."
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

flyingnote38 wrote:here's the relevant blurbs from Scott Cullen's take on the trade:

"There is some concern that the Blues, having been unceremoniously bounced from the first round of the playoffs - again - sought a bigger and tougher solution to their problems, at the expense of skill. At a time when talented teams like Chicago and Tampa Bay played in the Stanley Cup Final, is it really advisable to sacrifice skill?"

I realize the question is rhetorical, so I will give a rhetorical answer; How does Armstrong still have a job?

"Verdict: In a straight-up swap of right wingers, it's a clear win for the Capitals; Oshie contributes more, has a higher ceiling than Brouwer and is signed for an additional year. At the same time, Copley's inclusion in the deal can't be ignored. If he becomes a legitimate NHL goaltender - and at this point, who knows? - then Copley could provide value to the Blues that might help balance out the scales."
I, like I think many other people, could give a flyingfuckless about Copley. We have Allen, Binnington, Husso and now this new guy they just drafted whatshisname, Orpika or something? Binnington has a higher ceiling than Allen and we know Allen, for all his warts, is still a very good goalie who will probably be better this year than last year. Binnington is still probably the goalie of the future for this team, and Copley has no foreseeable role at the NHL level for the Blues ever.

The only reason I'm not bummed about this trade on the same level as some others is because I really truly believe Oshie is extraordinarily overrated. I would have been fine if they'd traded him years ago. I would have been fine if they'd traded him instead of Perron.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

After reading all the above, I'm really starting to wonder if Hitch's plan is to make a sort of "Broad Street Bully" version of the Blues and try to, and this is a very ineloquent and inaccurate word for it, try to "goon" our way to a Cup.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Are they a better team than before the trade? Won't know for awhile, but it is known that other guys will be elevated because of this.

Potential "first" line:
20-26-42
The most notable elevation is 26, who had an infamously disappointing first season here. However, he toiled with the likes of Lindstrom and later Berglund. This may also allow 42 to return to RW, his original position.

"Second" line:
17-12-91
This is a money line combo. Hitchcock will play around with it all season but these three guys are deadly together. "Thanks, Captain Obvious."

Potential third (no quotes needed) line:
21-Brouwer-23 (Rattie, Barbashev, Fabbri?)
We could see one of the young guys elevated here depending on how their camps go. 21 likely stays. 23 just got extended. Unlikely they're usurped here, but...

Fourth line:
9-Brodziak-75 (Brouwer, 23....?)
The Brodziak signing is cool. He is better than Goc or his predecessor, Lapierrie. If the young guys are moved up to the big club, this could make the fourth line (gasp) more skilled. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Brouwer and/or Jaskin joined Brodziak here. But that would mean Ott or Reaves would have to be demoted which is unlikely.

Brouwer may not be a good first or second liner, or even more than a pretty good third liner, but he'd be a helluva fourth liner.

In closing, the top 6 is arguably better than last year when 26's inclusion and 100% health is factored in. Brodziak is an upgrade on that fourth line. Brouwer and Berglund will be in bottom 6 with Brodz (holy alliteration), but those other 3 spots could be shuffled around.

I hope to copy and paste all this drivel to the Blues Facebook page for some hot takes, but I figured I'd test it here first.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Oaklandblue wrote:After reading all the above, I'm really starting to wonder if Hitch's plan is to make a sort of "Broad Street Bully" version of the Blues and try to, and this is a very ineloquent and inaccurate word for it, try to "goon" our way to a Cup.
Agreed. Trying an early '70s approach to winning in the 2016 playoffs. Probably hoping to meet Nixon when they get invited to the White House. Both are equally likely to happen.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Toasted Oates wrote: 21-Brouwer-23 (Rattie, Barbashev, Fabbri?)
If Barbashev is not on the team this season, I will be shocked. The reason he didn't make the team last season - Lapierre, Ott, Lindstrom, and Paajarvi supposedly "worked harder", but Hitchcock was "impressed" with Barbashev's hard work and preparation last pre-season. Barbashev isn't the defensive-minded center or forward Hitchcock wanted for a 3rd/4th line. If more speed and recklessness is the supposed goal for the team, Barbashev not making the roster would make that an out-right lie. However, given these off-season moves, Hitchcock probably will send Barbashev back to the minors so Ott, Reaves, Brodziak, Brouwer and all these guys with less talent continue to get the NHL ice time.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season