Blues will not re-sign Jax

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Blues will not re-sign Jax

Post by dmiles2186 »

I know he doesn't offer much hockey-wise these days, but for sentimental reasons, this is really a bummer. That said, wherever he signs, I'm putting a big fat bet on that team to win the Cup, because that is almost a guarantee to happen.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... e777a.html

The career of the longest-tenured current professional athlete in St. Louis sports is coming to an end.

The Blues have notified Blues defenseman Barret Jackman, 34, that they will be going in a "different direction" and thus not re-signing him this offseason.

Jackman, whose three-year, $9.5 million contract expires on June 30, will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. He will be allowed to sign with another organization without compensation.

Jackman was not immediately available for comment Thursday.

In a postseason interview with the Post-Dispatch, prior to meeting with the Blues regarding his future, Jackman said he remained interested in continuing his career, if not here, somewhere.

“I have lots left in me,” he said in April. “I don’t know, four or five years. I take care of myself away from the rink. The body’s the best it’s felt in years. This is actually the best I’ve felt in years health-wise. I don’t see myself as a 40-year-old playing the game, but I’m still only 34 and feel like I’ve got lots left. I’ll continue playing.”

For the first time since Jackman broke into the NHL in 2002, a span of 803 regular-season games and 39 playoff games, it will not be with the Blues.

After climbing to second place in franchise history last season, ahead of the likes of Brett Hull and Brian Sutter, Jackman will forever remain behind leader Bernie Federko (927).

Jackman, the No. 17 overall pick in 1999, did so after acclimating his game during 12 full seasons with the club.

In a show of respect and perhaps a sign of what the Blues expected from Jackman, he was awarded the esteemed No. 5, previously worn by Bob Plager, upon his arrival to the organization. And right away, he seemed a worthy recipient.

In 2002-03, Jackman's rookie season, he had 19 points, a Plager-like 190 penalty minutes and a plus-23 rating in 82 games. He won the Calder Trophy as the league's top rookie, beating out such players as Detroit's Henrik Zetterberg and Columbus Rick Nash.

A shoulder injury derailed the next part of Jackman's career, and than rules changes following the NHL lockout in 2004-05 forced him to somewhat alter his style moving forward.

But the defenseman remained a constant in the Blues' lineup, playing top-pair minutes, perhaps unfairly, during some lean years in the organization's history. And he did so without complaint, in fact, enabling the team to get through that period with leadership skills that come to warrant much adoration from teammates.

With the Blues turning themselves into a playoff contender in recent years, Jackman's minutes have been diminishing, from 23:26 per game in 2008-09 to 16:49 last season. He accepted a role behind budding blueliners such as Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk, whom he helped mentor.

But in the past four seasons, Jackman has stayed in the mix, missing just nine of a possible 295 regular-season games, none by his own choice. In those last four years, he has posted a plus-minus rating of plus-40.

This season, however, the Blues discovered a young talent in Petteri Lindbohm, a sixth-round pick in 2012, and they made a trade for Pittsburgh's Robert Bortuzzo, who showed strong work in his short time. Both Lindbohm and Bortuzzo are expected to be in the lineup next season.

That left little room for Jackman, who after making $3-plus million last season perhaps would have been too costly for a team that will be close to the NHL salary cap when it re-signs restricted free agents Vladimir Tarasenko and Jake Allen.

And so when the Blues open the 2015-16 season, it will mark an end of era, as the team will be without Jackman, who began his career here playing with Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger and finished it after playing with dozens and dozens of other defensemen.

It will be hard to replace his No. 5, and it's likely the Blues won't try to fill it for quiet awhile, if ever again.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Blues will not re-sign Jax

Post by glen a richter »

Sorry about this, Jackman... but thank the dark lord.

My best guess has him going to the EC.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Given how bad the Hawks are at D after their top 4, he could wind up in Chicago.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

There you have it guys. The one change that will happen this offseason. That was fun.

Ready for next season?

We should start a poll... "Who will the Blues lose to in the first round next season?"

(A) Winnipeg
(B) Calgary
(C) Chicago
(D) Oklahoma City Barons
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The offseason is young. I'll reserve judgment until after the draft. This is a positive first step.

I fully hope/expect that there will be some maneuvering of player personnel to get not only a 1st round pick, but a very high first round pick. If draft day comes and goes quietly, I'll be extremely disappointed. Arizona and Toronto have been rumored to be shopping their picks, a bunch of teams hold two first rounders and the opportunity to acquire a pick in the first round is pretty high if DA is doing his job.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:I know he doesn't offer much hockey-wise these days, but for sentimental reasons, this is really a bummer. That said, wherever he signs, I'm putting a big fat bet on that team to win the Cup, because that is almost a guarantee to happen.

:lol: No joke.

It'd be quite the research project but I wonder if the Blues hold the record for players/coaches to win the Stanley Cup with a subsequent team after NOT winning it with named franchise.

We've gotta be up there in terms of recent history.

Weight, Pronger, Guerin, Quenville, Mayers, Kitchen, there's a bunch of others I just can't think of them...

edits: Dallas Drake (handed the cup first from Lidstrom)...

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:The offseason is young. I'll reserve judgment until after the draft. This is a positive first step.

I fully hope/expect that there will be some maneuvering of player personnel to get not only a 1st round pick, but a very high first round pick. If draft day comes and goes quietly, I'll be extremely disappointed. Arizona and Toronto have been rumored to be shopping their picks, a bunch of teams hold two first rounders and the opportunity to acquire a pick in the first round is pretty high if DA is doing his job.
I could see Arizona trying to right the ship sooner rather than later. Especially with this Glendale situation exploding, they need to get good, and soon. Having said that, Strome is a VERY good player. I'm 50/50. They don't have as much time to be patient as, say, the Maple Leafs, who have already announced via Shanahan and Babcock that it's going to be a process and not a rush. I would be pretty surprised if the Leafs traded their first rounder.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

theohall wrote:Given how bad the Hawks are at D after their top 4, he could wind up in Chicago.
Calgary and Vancouver are close to where he grew up, and Chicago, Nashville and Minny are the closest to St. Louis.

I expect him to look at those places first, I know that’s what I would do so that my family could stay in St. Louis or if I decided to move my family (for hopefully one last time) to the area I grew up. That said I'm not Jax for all I know he might go all KHL on us lol.

I wish him luck I have always liked him, but personality doesn’t make you a great player and will I’m confident he can still succeed in the NHL his time in the Lou had to come to an end.

I hope they decide to finally retire #5 for Plager.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:I know he doesn't offer much hockey-wise these days, but for sentimental reasons, this is really a bummer. That said, wherever he signs, I'm putting a big fat bet on that team to win the Cup, because that is almost a guarantee to happen.

:lol: No joke.

It'd be quite the research project but I wonder if the Blues hold the record for players/coaches to win the Stanley Cup with a subsequent team after NOT winning it with named franchise.

We've gotta be up there in terms of recent history.

Weight, Pronger, Guerin, Quenville, Mayers, Kitchen, there's a bunch of others I just can't think of them...

edits: Dallas Drake (handed the cup first from Lidstrom)...
Well, there was that Hull guy...

*edit: I do agree with dmiles that it's unfortunate that he couldn't finish out his career here- he's still a serviceable defenseman and has actually been better the last couple seasons than 4-5 years ago. But economics is economics, and with the desired improvements the team wants to make, it is understandable that their vision does not include Jackman.

Best of luck, Jax.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

APOD wrote:
theohall wrote:Given how bad the Hawks are at D after their top 4, he could wind up in Chicago.

Maybe they'll do one of those honorary things like what they did for #7, have it be a joint "honor" or retirement thing.

He's a cheap 5-6 depth defenseman at this point in his career, I'm sure someone with serious cap issues would be glad to have him. Personally I think he's too slow and too much of a hack for the "new era" hockey that's been played in the NHL in recent years but that's just me.

He's good at Game 2 OT winners...

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:There you have it guys. The one change that will happen this offseason. That was fun.

Ready for next season?

We should start a poll... "Who will the Blues lose to in the first round next season?"

(A) Winnipeg
(B) Calgary
(C) Chicago
(D) Oklahoma City Barons
Well isn't someone a negative Nancy today.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
APOD wrote:

Maybe they'll do one of those honorary things like what they did for #7, have it be a joint "honor" or retirement thing.

He's a cheap 5-6 depth defenseman at this point in his career, I'm sure someone with serious cap issues would be glad to have him. Personally I think he's too slow and too much of a hack for the "new era" hockey that's been played in the NHL in recent years but that's just me.

He's good at Game 2 OT winners...
Thats probally what they will do.

I'm guessing army and him talked and I bet if he would take 7th D and the pay cut that would come with it he would be here still. He will land a job though I'm guessing 2.3mil 1 year.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If only we could get rid of Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson too, then we'd be cooking with gas.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

I always liked him...

So who's the longest tenured Blue on the team now?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I would assume Backes is.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Well gonna miss him in the dressing room and out in the community. But on the ice. Not too much. Best of luck to him. Hopefully he stays in the community somehow someway.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

He had enough staying power that he'll probably get a role in the organization at some point after he eventually retires. Coaching material, down the line? Perhaps.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

The end of the Jackman area.

I'll always remember him in those games against the Sharks driving Owen Nolan crazy. :lol:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Portland Blues wrote:The end of the Jackman area.

I'll always remember him in those games against the Sharks driving Owen Nolan crazy. :lol:
Well that answers the question of how the Jackman area will be remembered.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

glen a richter wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:The end of the Jackman area.

Well that answers the question of how the Jackman area will be remembered.
:grin: That, and for sounding like a character from Sesame Street in those post-game interviews.