TSN Blues Offseason Game Plan 2015

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

TSN Blues Offseason Game Plan 2015

Post by STLADOGG »

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan- ... s-1.304992

Always a good read in the off-season.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: TSN Blues Offseason Game Plan 2015

Post by glen a richter »

Why is Jordan Leopold listed as one of our UFA d-men?

Good write up, generally, though I'm not really sure why we'd want Kyle Brodziak. Heaven help this team if he's the big free agent splash that shakes up the roster.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

So he is saying - same top 3 lines. Same top 4 defenseman. No change in goal. Same coach.

Changes:
1) Lindbohm and Bortuzzo replace Jackman/Michalek/Butler
2) Kyle Brodziak replaces Goc.

That's it??

Why would anyone expect different results in the playoffs given essentially the exact same lineup with the same coaches??

FYI - Brodziak is currently the expected to be low-priced UFA with a good Corsi available next season for teams to add as a role-player. He's been mentioned as a potential acquisition for 10+ teams.

Issue with UFAs - there just aren't that many really good ones available.

Top 15 per TSN.ca
1 Devan Dubnyk
2 Mike Ribeiro
3 Mike Green
4 Cody Franson
5 Carl Soderberg
6 Matt Beleskey
7 Martin St. Louis
8 Antoine Vermette
9 Paul Martin
10 Jeff Petry
11 Anti Niemmi
12 Joel Ward
13 Francois Beauchemin
14 Justin Williams
15 Michael Frolik

Issue for the Blues, they have to sign Tarasenko plus a couple other guys (Bortuzzo) which would make trying to sign anyone off that UFA list difficult.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm telling you, with some creativity we could land Yandle, Talbot, maybe Kessel (probably not), we could get Bouwmeester out and replace Jackman with what's already in the system, we could swap out Elliott easily enough dealing with Edmonton, get a 1st round draft pick from Philly for Oshie and then package that draft pick to move up to #3 which Arizona is shopping. I'd take Dylan Strome on this team, for sure. There wouldn't need to be massive roster changes, but the changes would be enough to send a message to the remaining players. The questions is... is DA creative enough to make this happen? Probably not.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:So he is saying - same top 3 lines. Same top 4 defenseman. No change in goal. Same coach.

Changes:
1) Lindbohm and Bortuzzo replace Jackman/Michalek/Butler
2) Kyle Brodziak replaces Goc.

That's it??

Why would anyone expect different results in the playoffs given essentially the exact same lineup with the same coaches??
It's best to just not get mad about it. There's no point. It'll take getting swept or missing the playoffs entirely for this management group to seriously make any changes. They're f*cking blind. That's just me.
FYI - Brodziak is currently the expected to be low-priced UFA with a good Corsi available next season for teams to add as a role-player. He's been mentioned as a potential acquisition for 10+ teams.

Issue with UFAs - there just aren't that many really good ones available.

Top 15 per TSN.ca
1 Devan Dubnyk
2 Mike Ribeiro
3 Mike Green
4 Cody Franson
5 Carl Soderberg
6 Matt Beleskey
7 Martin St. Louis
8 Antoine Vermette
9 Paul Martin
10 Jeff Petry
11 Anti Niemmi
12 Joel Ward
13 Francois Beauchemin
14 Justin Williams
15 Michael Frolik

Issue for the Blues, they have to sign Tarasenko plus a couple other guys (Bortuzzo) which would make trying to sign anyone off that UFA list difficult.
I'd be flat out stunned if the Wild and Predators didn't lock up Dubnyk and Ribeiro. That takes the top 2 off the board.

This team isn't going to sign jack sh*t this summer. It's too much fun sitting with a thump our ass.

Announcing that they're letting Jackman walk is the first intelligent thing this franchise management group has done in months.
glen a richter wrote:I'm telling you, with some creativity we could land Yandle, Talbot, maybe Kessel (probably not), we could get Bouwmeester out and replace Jackman with what's already in the system, we could swap out Elliott easily enough dealing with Edmonton, get a 1st round draft pick from Philly for Oshie and then package that draft pick to move up to #3 which Arizona is shopping. I'd take Dylan Strome on this team, for sure. There wouldn't need to be massive roster changes, but the changes would be enough to send a message to the remaining players. The questions is... is DA creative enough to make this happen? Probably not.
Arizona is shopping the #3 pick? That's very surprising to me. I doubt the Blues could collect enough assets to trade to make it worth the 'Yotes while though. We don't have a first rounder this year to even BEGIN that conversation. And don't forget: we're not trading any of our top 9 offensemen or top 4 defensemen! Because loyalty to an underperforming roster is a great way to build a professional sports organization! Didn't you hear?!
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

thekortehaus
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by thekortehaus »

We lack toughness mentally and physically. You know why the Kings and Bruins are constantly in the mix (not this year, I know)?

Nastiness. They have great speed and the mentality to jam it down your throat. Even their best offensive players are big hitters. I don't see it from us when the playoffs hit. I think a lot of it is a coaching issue.

Mental toughness can be coached. But you have to have an edgy coach to get it. We lack killer instinct.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:I'm telling you, with some creativity we could land Yandle, Talbot, maybe Kessel (probably not), we could get Bouwmeester out and replace Jackman with what's already in the system, we could swap out Elliott easily enough dealing with Edmonton, get a 1st round draft pick from Philly for Oshie and then package that draft pick to move up to #3 which Arizona is shopping. I'd take Dylan Strome on this team, for sure. There wouldn't need to be massive roster changes, but the changes would be enough to send a message to the remaining players. The questions is... is DA creative enough to make this happen? Probably not.
I think that is this franchise's biggest problem right now. Creativity. On and off the ice.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ComradeT wrote:
I think that is this franchise's biggest problem right now. Creativity. On and off the ice.
Okay, let's get a little creative here.

Trade #1: Elliott+Bouwmeester+mid level prospect (Kurker?) to Edmonton for Eberle, late pick.

Trade #2: Eberle+late pick (Edm) to Rangers for Yandle+Talbot

Trade #3: Oshie to Philadelphia for pick #30 or #29 depending on which one they secure.

Trade #4: Pick from Philly+Rattie+Edmundson to Arizona for Pick #3

Trade #5: Berglund to Buffalo for pick #51.

I have too much time on my hands, obviously. And again, there's a reason I'm not a GM. Fire away.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

glen a richter wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

Trade #1: Elliott+Bouwmeester+mid level prospect (Kurker?) to Edmonton for Eberle, late pick.

Trade #3: Oshie to Philadelphia for pick #30 or #29 depending on which one they secure.

I have too much time on my hands, obviously. And again, there's a reason I'm not a GM. Fire away.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

I like this. I could do without #2 though.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

ComradeT wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

Same here but we have to have another goalie, I like the idea of trying to sign one, Ramo, Dubnyk, maybe trade for Kuemper if we can get him cheap.

Instead of yandle pick up McQuaid and resign Butler, then add some depth Lee Stempniak anyone?
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

APOD wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

Same here but we have to have another goalie, I like the idea of trying to sign one, Ramo, Dubnyk, maybe trade for Kuemper if we can get him cheap.

Instead of yandle pick up McQuaid and resign Butler, then add some depth Lee Stempniak anyone?
I've been wanting Stempy back for ages. For a depth winger that can add some scoring punch to the 3rd line, he's hard to pass up. Plus, while we definitely won that trade, I've missed Stempy ever since we shipped him out. He's an easy guy to pull for.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

thekortehaus wrote:We lack toughness mentally and physically. You know why the Kings and Bruins are constantly in the mix (not this year, I know)?

Nastiness. They have great speed and the mentality to jam it down your throat. Even their best offensive players are big hitters. I don't see it from us when the playoffs hit. I think a lot of it is a coaching issue.

Mental toughness can be coached. But you have to have an edgy coach to get it. We lack killer instinct.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I agree to a point. Personally, I think we're TOO physical at times. LA and Boston are physical teams, yes. But they don't try to win solely by checking other teams into the ground; the Blues do. While the Blues are too busy trying to hammer everything that moves, teams are skating around us and pouncing on our mistakes. I'm not saying let's quit the physical play, I'm saying, let's not tailor all 60 minutes around that.

The mental aspect is another story and that's where I agree with you. What makes Toews so good? He doesn't let the moment get to him. Same with Jonathan Quick. We have an entire team, aside from Tarasenko and Petro, that seem to tighten up when things go wrong. We give up a bad goal? We rarely answer. We're facing elimination? This group has never won an elimination game...they just bow out immediately. Something has got to give in that department and while I think Backes is a tough S.O.B., he's not going to lead us like a Toews does. I know Captains like that don't just grow on trees, so either Backes needs to develop that killer instinct or hand off the C to someone who wants that challenge.

(Nice first post, btw. Welcome to the board!)

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

Trade #1 I think would definitely be doable. Trade #2, ehhhh. The Rangers may take a long look at Yandle, it's hard to tell yet.

Trade #3 looks legit to me.

Trade #4, if I were Arizona I would demand way more than that for #3 overall. There'd be no way I'd let myself drop from #3 overall pick to #29-30 overall without a seriously significant prospect or immediate NHL ready proven player going into my lineup for 2015-2016. I feel Rattie is still very speculative at this point and Edmundson is far from a sure thing. Fabbri and #30 overall would get me listening.

Trade #5, just depends on what Buffalo is trying to do. If they want an "NHL looking roster" next season and really want to flesh out their team with immediate NHL players who can play the game, then that trade I think would absolutely be doable. The hard part is that Berglund is coming off of his statistically worse season and right when a $3.7 cap hit has taken effect. There are very very few teams who would take that on. Buffalo being one of them though.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don't know. Arizona has a stockpile of very good young prospects. Add a couple more to the mix, to go with Letunov, Duclair, Domi, Dvorak. Rattie and Edmundson are as close or closer than all of them. You can phase in a couple rookies now and then the rest the year after. This team could be great in 2 or 3 years time. Of course there is also the fact that Dylan Strome is probably just about NHL ready right now, so why wouldn't they just use the pick on him? I'd say because they're getting an NHL ready forward, basically an NHL ready d-man and another 1st round pick.

As far as trade #2 that I proposed, I'd be just as cool with retaining Eberle, but where does the new goalie come from if not Talbot? You're making a trade elsewhere or signing probably a subsatisfactory free agent. Yandle and Talbot are definitely available, and Talbot is poised to be a real good one.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Trade #4, if I were Arizona I would demand way more than that for #3 overall. There'd be no way I'd let myself drop from #3 overall pick to #29-30 overall without a seriously significant prospect or immediate NHL ready proven player going into my lineup for 2015-2016. I feel Rattie is still very speculative at this point and Edmundson is far from a sure thing. Fabbri and #30 overall would get me listening.
I think Rattie, Binnington, Walman and the pick would do it.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:The mental aspect is another story and that's where I agree with you. What makes Toews so good? He doesn't let the moment get to him. Same with Jonathan Quick. We have an entire team, aside from Tarasenko and Petro, that seem to tighten up when things go wrong. We give up a bad goal? We rarely answer. We're facing elimination? This group has never won an elimination game...they just bow out immediately. Something has got to give in that department and while I think Backes is a tough S.O.B., he's not going to lead us like a Toews does. I know Captains like that don't just grow on trees, so either Backes needs to develop that killer instinct or hand off the C to someone who wants that challenge.
This is why I would pursue a trade for Lucic.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:The mental aspect is another story and that's where I agree with you. What makes Toews so good? He doesn't let the moment get to him. Same with Jonathan Quick. We have an entire team, aside from Tarasenko and Petro, that seem to tighten up when things go wrong. We give up a bad goal? We rarely answer. We're facing elimination? This group has never won an elimination game...they just bow out immediately. Something has got to give in that department and while I think Backes is a tough S.O.B., he's not going to lead us like a Toews does. I know Captains like that don't just grow on trees, so either Backes needs to develop that killer instinct or hand off the C to someone who wants that challenge.
This is why I would pursue a trade for Lucic.
I'd be down for that Lucic for Oshie. Get rid of Backes for late first rounder early second, Toronto comes to mind as they might look at Backes being a veteran(not production) replacement for Kessel. Of course its up to Backes if he wants to be moved :? Then use that pick in the Arizona deal. :grin:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

APOD wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

I'd like to see them stick with Elliott and Allen next year. Make Elliott the clear cut #1, as he should be. And if at some point Allen takes the job from him, so be it.
Even though Allen was playing with such confidence and poise down the stretch and early in the series against the Wild, his brain farts that he struggled with during the season resurfaced late in the series. So I'm not cool with trading away our only known quantity in net. We know what we are going to get with Elliott. A very reliable and often great goaltender.

The Rangers probably have no desire to deal Talbot right now. He's fairly cheap, he's been very good, and if they do want to deal him at some point, they can wait to do so at the deadline to another team as a rental as he is a UFA after next season. But if I were the Rangers, I'd hold on to him for now. Lunqvist is under contract for 5 more years...so it's likely Talbot will get moved at some point, as he won't want to stick around and be his backup until 2020-2021.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The only way I'd trade Binnington is if Talbot coming this way was a sure thing. Even then, I'd be more inclined to give Arizona Allen. If it was possible to draft Strome, that would be a hard trade to pass up on. You get an NHL ready center, now you're looking at Lehtera, Stastny, Fabbri, Strome, you can move Backes to the wing where he belongs and be done with the Goc/Porter/Ott/Reaves/Whoever deal down there on the 4th line. Put together a good scoring 4th line to complement lines 1-3 and you're looking at a team that can finally compete in the playoffs.

As far as whether or not the Rangers want to trade Talbot, the understanding out here is that they would want to trade high. There's no guarantee he'll repeat the same thing he did in Lundqvist's absence this season, which was nothing short of amazing. His stock is very high right now and the Rangers won't be able to pay him what he'll command, given their own cap situation, if they decide to keep him.

The more I write this, though, the more intrigued I get at the possibility of getting #3 from Arizona. No doubt we have some pieces they'd be interested in. I could be doing some serious wishful thinking here, but I did read that they've heard and are listening to offers for the pick. A guy can dream, right?