Stanley Cup Finals: Chicago Blackhawks v Tampa Bay Lightning

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Stanley Cup Finals: Chicago Blackhawks v Tampa Bay Lightning

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I don't know who to pick. I want the Lightning to win but the Blackhawks are 2-0 in the Finals.

Hawks in 6.
NHL.com wrote:The Chicago Blackhawks might feel like they're looking at a younger version of themselves when they step onto the ice against the Tampa Bay Lightning for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final at Amalie Arena on Wednesday (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, TVA Sports).

Each team is driven by star power. Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Marian Hossa, Duncan Keith and Corey Crawford have carried the Blackhawks through three rounds in the Western Conference, including a 5-3 victory against the Anaheim Ducks in Game 7 of the conference final on Saturday. Tampa Bay's top-six forwards, led by the "Triplets" line of Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat and Nikita Kucherov, and captain Steven Stamkos, have scored more than 80 percent of the Lightning's goals in the first three rounds, and Ben Bishop leads all goaltenders in this year's playoffs with three shutouts, including 2-0 victories on the road in Games 5 and 7 of the Eastern Conference Final against the New York Rangers.

Each team relies on speed and puck possession but can shut down opponents when the game is on the line. Chicago is 32-0-0 in the regular season and playoffs when leading after two periods. The Lightning are 9-0 in the postseason when scoring first, and all three of Bishop's shutouts have been 2-0 wins.

The one major edge Chicago has is postseason experience; the core of this team won Stanley Cup in 2010 and 2013. Tampa Bay hasn't made the Final since 2004, when it won its only championship.

The Lightning have won three playoff rounds for the first time in a decade, but Bishop knows there's still much left to do.

"We still haven't accomplished anything yet," Bishop said after the Game 7 win in New York. "We're four wins away. It's going to be probably the hardest four wins of all of our careers. We know there's a lot ahead of us."

Tampa Bay went 1-0-1 against Chicago during the regular season, and Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville knows that his team will have to be at its best to slow down the speedy Lightning.

"Watching their series against the Rangers, they have a lot of options with their skill, how dangerous they can be with putting pucks in the net," Quenneville said after the win against Anaheim on Saturday.

Quenneville also has respect for the accomplishments of Tampa Bay coach Jon Cooper.

"We had some interesting games against them," Quenneville said. "Jon Cooper, I know him a little bit. I have to commend him on what he's done, getting to the Final."

The Blackhawks survived seven games against the bigger, more physical Ducks. The Lightning play a much different style, but Keith feels the Blackhawks can handle any style of play an opponent throws at them.

"I think we're moving on for a reason, showing a lot of character, using our speed and skill," he said. "I don't think anybody's tired anymore this time of year right now. I think we're just excited to move on and be able to beat a great team like Anaheim and have the opportunity to try and beat another great team in Tampa Bay."
Last edited by WaukeeBlues on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: Stanley Cup Finals: Chicago Blackhawks v Tampa Bay Light

Post by Fradi »

I trust the Lightning can figure them out, but they can't afford the blackouts they had in the previous round, Hawks won't let them back in. Hope Bishop become a hero though
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Big Ben and the Bolts. Three B's against the one. Gotta win. East taking this in 7. Book it.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Bishop was able to outplay Carey Price and Henrik Lundqvist. The Lightning scored six twice against Lundqvist, think they can't score six four times against Crawford? Crawford is no Lundqvist and he's also no Price.

Bolts in 5.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:Bishop was able to outplay Carey Price and Henrik Lundqvist. The Lightning scored six twice against Lundqvist, think they can't score six four times against Crawford? Crawford is no Lundqvist and he's also no Price.

Bolts in 5.
Piling on - They put 6 and 4 on Price, also. That 6 was @ Montreal.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Well I got the Lightning pick right in the SCF. Only problem is I was a homer and picked the Blues to go all the way.

Bolts PLEASE win...
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Initially I had hope Chicago would win this series to pressure the Blues' front office. Plus, I thought I was too numb to care about hearing about it for the next however many months.

Watching this game, though, rooting against a Hawk opponent feels as unnatural as...rooting for the Blackhawks. I tried. Can't do it.

Get it done, Bish.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Wow. Killorn's goal was unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wUa_oFL7Yg

Too bad it didn't hold up... :x
Last edited by gaijin on Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Tampa stopped playing their game and went to 1-3-1 to start the 3rd which allowed the Hawks to control almost all of the 3rd period. Result - 2-1 loss, instead of a win.

Cooper got conservative with a 1-0 lead.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Great win tonight! Glad to see Tampa not using any silly antics like the Ducks did - I prefer a clean hockey game with good defense and goaltending like we saw tonight from both teams. Tampa dominated the 1st but we played better in 2nd and we dominated the 3rd. Whew!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Kerfuffle wrote:Great win tonight! Glad to see Tampa not using any silly antics like the Ducks did - I prefer a clean hockey game with good defense and goaltending like we saw tonight from both teams. Tampa dominated the 1st but we played better in 2nd and we dominated the 3rd. Whew!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPhgRz0gh48
Yeah, those "silly antics" can really sully an otherwise rousing competition.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Kerfuffle wrote:Great win tonight! Glad to see Tampa not using any silly antics like the Ducks did - I prefer a clean hockey game with good defense and goaltending like we saw tonight from both teams. Tampa dominated the 1st but we played better in 2nd and we dominated the 3rd. Whew!
Nothing more silly than Andrew Shaw biting Victor Hedman, eh? Cheap ass Hawks crap.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

theohall wrote:
Nothing more silly than Andrew Shaw biting Victor Hedman, eh? Cheap ass Hawks crap.
It would be funny if it were true. Video doesn't show him biting anyone.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Last night is a prime example of how annoying the Hawks are (in a respectful way). Trail 90% of the game? No worries.

I flipped over to see them score their first goal, flipped away fully expecting them to be in the lead when I turned back. I flip back 5 mins later and....Hawks lead 2-1. It's. Just. What. They. Do.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

dmiles2186 wrote:Last night is a prime example of how annoying the Hawks are (in a respectful way). Trail 90% of the game? No worries.

I flipped over to see them score their first goal, flipped away fully expecting them to be in the lead when I turned back. I flip back 5 mins later and....Hawks lead 2-1. It's. Just. What. They. Do.
And they give me a heart attack each time they do that by putting me through the stress.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm not concerned. TB started off with a 2-1 loss against the Rags too. Then they adjusted and the rest is history. They'll adjust and then take the next 4. No way Chicago wins this series.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:I'm not concerned. TB started off with a 2-1 loss against the Rags too. Then they adjusted and the rest is history. They'll adjust and then take the next 4. No way Chicago wins this series.
I'll believe it when I see any other team outside of LA beat the Hawks in a 7 game series.

Kerfuffle, I think you are okay to relax. The Hawks always pull it out. It's never in doubt.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

theohall wrote: Nothing more silly than Andrew Shaw biting Victor Hedman, eh? Cheap ass Hawks crap.
Just as I said above- the whole story is crap. NHL done, no punishment --> http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... on-hedman/

Hedman's a wuss - thinks because his skin gets pinched during a kerfuffle that it automatically means someone bit him. Glad the NHL put this silly story to bed.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:Last night is a prime example of how annoying the Hawks are (in a respectful way). Trail 90% of the game? No worries.

Yep. Until the clock reads all zeros, if they're within striking distance, they have a legit shot. I hate em, but gotta respect what they're able to do.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
theohall wrote:
It would be funny if it were true. Video doesn't show him biting anyone.
True, but it doesn't show him "not biting" anyone either. Not saying he bit Hedman or anything, just that you can't really see one way or another from any of the camera angles. Obviously the NHL can't and shouldn't discipline him for it without proof, but it's not like you can tell one way or another from the replays.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen