GDT Game 6: 4/26/15 | 2:00PM CST | @ Wild | NBC/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 6: 4/26/15 | 2:00PM CST | @ Wild | NBC/Y98

Post by dmiles2186 »

(AP) -- NHL teams play all season for home-ice advantage -- only to give it away.

It hasn't meant much at all in the first-round Western Conference series between the St. Louis Blues and Minnesota Wild. The teams have traded victories over the first five games, three of them coming on the road and sending overflow crowds home grumbling.

Wild-card Minnesota has a 3-2 series edge against St. Louis, the Central Division champions, and can advance to the second round for the second straight season with a victory on Sunday.

The Blues dominated the last time they were in the Twin Cities, chasing goalie Devan Dubnyk in a 6-1 rout. Two days later, Dubnyk was the star with 36 saves in a 4-1 victory.

It's the only series with no games decided by a single goal.

"Well, I don't think I can explain the lopsided wins," Dubnyk said. "I don't think either team would have expected that. I think both sides aren't surprised by the going back and forth.

"We knew it was going to be a long, tough series and I'm sure they did, too, and that's when it becomes important to put games behind you, win or lose."

Forward Steve Ott believes the way to eliminate gaps in the Blues' game is to rigidly stick to the relentless, physical style that earned them 109 points and the second seed in the West.

"We have to get rid of the lulls. We have to continue to be very robotic at times or almost methodical," Ott said. "When we're methodical, we're very hard to play against."

Game 5 was the first time in the series the team that scored first did not win.

Vladimir Tarasenko put St. Louis up early with his playoffs-leading sixth goal and the Blues were ahead 8-0 in shots before momentum abruptly shifted. Marco Scandella scored on a shot from the top of the left circle that goalie Jake Allen couldn't handle, the puck popping out of his glove and into the net.

The Blues outshot the Wild 12-3 in the first period but the score was tied and Minnesota gained momentum over time.

Dubnyk instilled more confidence when he twice stoned Alexander Steen in the second period, kicking his pad into the air to bat away one close chance.

"The fireworks were going off in the building," Wild coach Mike Yeo said. "Obviously, when you're on the bench your heart kind of sinks. All of a sudden, you're going down the other way on the rush. It's a big lift for your group."

The Wild were resilient, shaking off the 6-1 rout at home in Game 4, and now it's the Blues' turn.

"We've still got two games to play," St. Louis defenseman Alex Pietrangelo said. "We're not going to hang our heads, we know we've got to play better. We'll take a hard look at ourselves and get ready for Game 6."

Since 1986, the Blues have lost 11 of 12 best-of-seven series when tied at two games apiece, with the lone victory coming in the first round in 2001 against the San Jose Sharks. Game 7, if necessary, would be Wednesday in St. Louis.
ST. PAUL - Trailing 3-2 in the best-of-7 series, the Blues enter Sunday’s Game 6 against the Minnesota Wild with one simple goal: bring the series back home.

“The last thing Minnesota wants to do is have this thing come back to our building. That’s the last thing they want,” Blues Head Coach Ken Hitchcock said. “We have to make sure they get to look that in the eye. That’s our goal, that’s the whole focus for us. Just bring this thing home.”

A potential Game 7 would be Wednesday night at Scottrade Center.

Let’s focus on some positives. As they face a must-win situation on the road, it’s important to note the Blues have been an outstanding road team this season, going 24-12-5 in the regular season, which was third-best in the League. In the last game at Xcel Energy Center, the Blues scored six goals in the first 40 minutes en route to a 6-1 victory in Game 4. That’s the game the Blues want to draw from entering Sunday’s contest.

And except for the second period, the Blues were pretty good in Game 5, too. Minnesota was limited to just three shots in both the first and third periods, but the Wild capitalized on the limited opportunities they received. The Blues created plenty of their own chances but just need to find a way to bury them.

“We had our fair share of chances (in Game 5),” Blues forward Alexander Steen said. “I thought myself, I had two and didn’t bury them. Obviously, they get one in the other end a few minutes later. Those pucks have to get in.

“It’s playoffs, it’s tight margins,” Steen added. “We knew it was going to be a tight series. This is playoff hockey. Things aren’t just going to go easy. Right now we’re down 3-2 but we’re heading into Minny and we want to bring this series back. That’s our main focus.”

Neither team has been able to sustain momentum for more than one game in this series. As Hitchcock pointed out several days ago, he feels that both teams have to pour so much energy and emotion into a win that they’re drained when the next game rolls around.

If that rings true again, its advantage Blues in Game 6.

“Certainly (Game 6) is going to be our best,” Blues forward Jaden Schwartz said. “The season’s on the line really, plain and simple. We have to do everything we can to bring it back here. That has to be our mentality: leave everything out there and no excuses at the end of the game.”

NO MORNING SKATE

The Blues won’t skate before the game, so the lineup is up in there. Ken Hitchcock wouldn’t say whether he’d have any line-up changes for Game 6.

Jori Lehtera, who missed Game 5 with an undisclosed injury, skated on his own Saturday. Hitchcock said he had a “good day” and obviously hoped to get him back for Game 6.

Jake Allen is expected to start in goal.

BLUE NOTES

Vladimir Tarasenko has six goals in the playoffs, which leads all players in the postseason. In 12 career playoff games, Tarasenko has 10 goals. The .833 goals per game average leads all active players.

The Blues are hosting watch parties at various locations throughout the St. Louis area for all road playoff games. Locations include Ballpark Village, Buffalo Wild Wings, HotShots and Llewelyn’s Pub. For a list of featured locations for Game 6, click here.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT Game 6: 4/26/15 | 2:00PM CST | @ Wild | NBC/Y98

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'll take a second helping of game 4 please. 2PM can't get here soon enough.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

This series is so hard to predict the way things have gone but just look at the mind boggling stats below!

Since 1986, the Blues have lost 11 of 12 best-of-seven series when tied at two games apiece, with the lone victory coming in the first round in 2001 against the San Jose Sharks.

Blues all time playoff record is 146-182. They have won only 24 of 62 series all time.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think deep down we all know what to expect.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see a game on Wednesday, please. I'd also like to see Bortuzzo in for Gunnarsson. Is that too much to ask?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

glen a richter wrote:I think deep down we all know what to expect.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see a game on Wednesday, please. I'd also like to see Bortuzzo in for Gunnarsson. Is that too much to ask?

Yeah, a huge blowout for the Blues... then wednesday gets here..
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm the anti-Never Nervous Pervis Ellison for today's game.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Just freaking win. There is nothing else. :letsgoblues:

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Today we win.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Anybody know if this can be streamed on NBCsports.com in St. Louis? During the regular season you can, but I don't know about the playoffs when they have the local broadcast as well.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Here we go!

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

No Elliott again... I feel bad for the guy...

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Anybody know if this can be streamed on NBCsports.com in St. Louis? During the regular season you can, but I don't know about the playoffs when they have the local broadcast as well.
In case anybody else needs to stream, it appears that it is available unless they start the blackout at puck drop, but I doubt that happens.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

I have the lowest of expectations.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

That was a pretty (Franking) horrible goal to give up...

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Good lord...

:facepalm:

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

So now are we not only going to get a new coach and (preferably) a new GM with a loss, we're going to get a goalie controversy. This franchise just gets better and better.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Lol!
If I'm Elliott I want off this team next year.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Come on Allen. :facepalm:

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:Lol!
If I'm Elliott I want off this team next year.
He's going to get his wish. The die has been cast now. He can't be kept if he couldn't be trusted to be better than Allen.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.