GDT Game 3: 4/20/15 | 7:00PM CST | @ Wild | FSMW/CNBC/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 3: 4/20/15 | 7:00PM CST | @ Wild | FSMW/CNBC/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

BLUES at WILD

TV: CNBC, SN1, TVA Sports 2, FS-MW, FS-N

Best-of-7 series tied 1-1

After wrestling home ice away from the St. Louis Blues, the Minnesota Wild will attempt to utilize the crowd at Xcel Energy Center to their advantage in Game 3 of their Western Conference First Round series Monday.

To do so, the Wild are going to have to play better on home ice than they did down the stretch of the regular season.

Minnesota's 22 home wins were 19th in the NHL during the regular season. But after winning seven of their first eight to start the season, the Wild went 15-12-6 in the next 33 games at Xcel Energy Center, including 4-5-1 in the last 10 and 0-2-1 in the last three.

"The last month is out the window for me," Wild coach Mike Yeo said Sunday. "For me, this is different. That said, I don't think we're just going to be good here at home. But I'm not nervous about the game tomorrow because of the way we played against Winnipeg in here (in a 2-0 loss in the home finale April 6) either. Let's see how good we are at home. We were a real good playoff team at home last year (5-1). I know our home crowd was a big factor in that."

Minnesota won more games on the road (24) that it did at home this season, when it tied an NHL record with 12 straight road wins before losing the regular-season finale in St. Louis.

Wild left wing Zach Parise said there's nothing to it once the Stanley Cup Playoffs begin.

"I don't think there is anything that I can pinpoint why we were better on the road; I'm not sure," Parise said. "I'm not sure why the year before it was kind of the opposite. Regardless, it's a new season now, and we know there is going to be a lot of energy in here and we've responded well in the past and hopefully we can do that. But nothing is going to be handed to us, it's still going to be a tough game, but we like playing here and hopefully we get a little better luck than we did in the season."

On the flip side, the Blues, who evened the best-of-7 series with a 4-1 victory in Game 2, want to carry over their strong road play from the regular season, when they matched the Wild with 24 road victories.

The Blues split two games against the Wild at Xcel Energy Center in the regular season.

"You've got to feel confident going on the road, especially the way we played this year," Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo said. "I thought we played some real good hockey down the stretch, especially on the road. We played some smart hockey. We're going to need to continue to do that because that's not an easy rink to go in and play."

The Blues finished their road schedule winning six of nine and earning at least a point in eight of nine (6-1-2). St. Louis coach Ken Hitchcock thinks it makes a difference moving forward.

"We've been a good road team," Hitchcock said. "Sometimes, it's because you're a little bit nervous or you don't want to get beat, and so you have a real edge to your game and your focus. And I think we've played good on the road because our focus has been narrow and simple, and when we play a simple game, it's effective.

"We've got to go there and play really well. We've got to play within our structure, because we're going to have to win a game to take it back to get home ice back again, and so I think when we keep our focus narrow, we're very, very good."

Any momentum from a 51-win season and a Central Division title seemed to fade for the St. Louis Blues with a disappointing playoff-opening defeat.

It may have returned when Vladimir Tarasenko took control two days later.

Heading into St. Paul with the first-round series tied at one, the Blues look to both build on Tarasenko's stellar play and continue their physically imposing style Monday night against the Minnesota Wild.

After St. Louis looked uninspired in a 4-2 Game 1 loss, Tarasenko recorded his third career hat trick -- first in the postseason -- while rookie goaltender Jake Allen stopped 24 shots Saturday in St. Louis' 4-1 win.

"We need him to rise up," coach Ken Hitchcock said of Tarasenko. "For us to have success, our best players have to be significant, and that was a big step today ... We needed more of that and we got it."

Allen, who finished the regular season with a 1.15 goals-against average in his final seven starts and earned the call over Brian Elliott in net, has stopped 49 of 52 shots in his first two playoff games as a starter.

"Very good," Alexander Steen said. "He was unbelievable. He made some key saves at times ... he was fantastic."

The Blues took a far more physical approach to Game 2 as Hitchcock decided to put enforcer Ryan Reaves alongside T.J. Oshie and David Backes to start the first period.

That approach yielded a combined 72 hits after St. Louis had just 47 on Thursday, and is one Devan Dubnyk and the Wild figure to see for the remainder of the series.

"It was a little different than the first game," Dubnyk said. "I'm sure it will continue to become more and more that way as the series goes on, but we know how to play that way and how to handle it and use our speed. We'll keep doing a good job of that."

Dubnyk stopped 23 of 26 shots in Game 2, dropping his save percentage to .909 in five starts this season against the Blues. Only one of those meetings took place in Minnesota -- a 6-3 Wild victory on March 21.

Minnesota went 12-5-0 in its first 17 home games following the acquisition of Dubnyk on Jan. 14, but dropped its last three at Xcel Energy Center to finish the season.

"You lose a game and it's frustrating, it's disappointing," coach Mike Yeo said. "We would have loved to win both games (in St. Louis), but when it comes down to it, I think we take confidence that we won the one game and played pretty strong in the second.

"Going back home doesn't guarantee anything either. They're a good team, and we have a lot of respect for them. We know we'll have to be at our best."

Zach Parise has a team-leading 60 points in his playoff career, 21 more than second-place Jason Pominville. He has two assists this series, and scored in three of four regular season matchups with St. Louis.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT Game 3: 4/20/15 | 7:00PM CST | @ Wild | FSMW/CNBC/KM

Post by glen a richter »

I don't want to call it a must win, but it sort of is. Don't want to give Minnesota the chance to go back to game 5 up 3-1 by giving them an opportunity to win both games in their barn.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

I hate how I really don't know what channel the game will be on until the puck drops... And good thing I can record 6 channels if I don't want to watch it live...

But watching live keeps me from having the game ruined by someone texting me...

Game time can't start soon enough. Let's go Blues!!11!

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

glen a richter wrote:I don't want to call it a must win, but it sort of is. Don't want to give Minnesota the chance to go back to game 5 up 3-1 by giving them an opportunity to win both games in their barn.
On NHL Tonight (last night) they were calling it a "must win" for Minnesota. It always feels like whoever wins game 3 of a tied series seem to gain some serious momentum from it.

3-2 Blues in OT.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Blues - 4 (1 ENG)
Domesticated - 2
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Portland Blues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I don't want to call it a must win, but it sort of is. Don't want to give Minnesota the chance to go back to game 5 up 3-1 by giving them an opportunity to win both games in their barn.
On NHL Tonight (last night) they were calling it a "must win" for Minnesota. It always feels like whoever wins game 3 of a tied series seem to gain some serious momentum from it.

3-2 Blues in OT.
Minnesota needs to win at home to retain home ice advantage. That's why they are calling it a 'must win'. They need to stay ahead in the series and surrendering home ice back puts them back in a tough spot.
Last edited by Kerfuffle on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Here is the big deal as to why Game 3 is important.

A team which takes a 2-1 lead in a 7-game series and has home ice advantage has won the series 74.8% of the time throughout NHL history.

Stats taken from here.

I remembered seeing that on one of the NHL Tonight shows as a preview for another game.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Winning game 3 in a 1-1 7-game series is always important for the reasons mentioned.

But, I think it's also important because it means we played more like game 2 than game 1. I'd be more upset by reverting to game 1 play than I would be by a loss. If we play our game, I think we win in 5.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Another note:

Both teams played better on the road than at home in 2015:

Blues 2015 @ Home: 13-8-1
Blues 2015 @ Road: 15-4-3

Wild 2015 @ Home: 13-9-2
Wild 2015 @ Road: 16-5-2

Confident the Blues will do very well tonight and the Wild's home ice won't matter. Blues two losses to the Wild in the regular season were without Shattenkirk in the lineup. Considering he's assisting on darn near every Blues goal vs the Wild in this playoff series, it mattered.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm glad this game isn't starting at 9:30 ET, I might be able to even watch the whole thing.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

glen a richter wrote:I'm glad this game isn't starting at 9:30 ET, I might be able to even watch the whole thing.
:plusplus:

midgensa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by midgensa »

I am just sitting at work thinking about nothing but this game tonight.

Oddly enough, I am a huge Minnesota Vikings fan ... so my Vikings fan boards have a ton of talk from Wild fanboys.

I think that the Wild will feel a TON of pressure to win BOTH of these games. Losing either one of them really puts them in a tough spot. I hope that pressure makes them play tight, because we will out-hit them and get a cheap goal or two early that way.

I am looking forward to it. Game 2 was intense because of the pressure on us and we handled it fine. Now to assert ourselves as the stronger team.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Lets get a win, play like we did the last game need to take both these games away from them.

Would like to see 26 do what we picked him up to do too :cup:
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

It looks like The Blues are trying in this game, to stand The Wild forwards up at their blue line, but The Wild's good speed allows them to cross the blue line successfully, anyway. Even so, the tougher entry makes it more difficult for the Wild to set up in The Blues' zone, and they lose possession fairly quickly after.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Tarasenko had a great chance from the slot. Now Jackman gets a cross-checking penalty when both men should have gone off.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Nice save by Allen, after barely having time to view the puck. Another nice save! Good kill!

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Period 2 game plan: Get some shots. :wink:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The Blues need to start getting more aggressive. They are allowing The Wild to carry the play, and so, have generated almost no offence. They shouldn't do this, as if they continue, The Wild will score first, and that is not good.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Blues did well. With only 1 minute left, they didn't lose poise and give up a goal or take a penalty!. Good 1st Period, considering it was The Wild's first at home for this playoffs.