GDT Game 3: 4/20/15 | 7:00PM CST | @ Wild | FSMW/CNBC/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT Game 3: 4/20/15 | 7:00PM CST | @ Wild | FSMW/CNBC/KM

Post by Toasted Oates »

theohall wrote:
Toasted Oates wrote:Fantasy lines for Game 4:

20-42-91
17-26-74
21-12-23
32/9-13-18 (Blow up the 4th line. They are not threatening in any way.)

22-27
19-6
5-41

I feel like a just read a Blues Facebook post.
Man you roasted me pretty severely there. It's all good. Have a great day.

If Hitchcock benched Reaves or Ott I'd be surprised. Rutherford suggested that Jaskin may be on the chopping block after his minutes got cut. So in no way are those line suggestions accurate, they're just dart throws from a lowly, frustrated fan.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Here's Steve Ott's resume. Lemme know what you think.

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2015/4/1 ... ouis-blues
Man, someone sure hates Ott's guts and have A LOT of free time on their hands. Just think of the good they could do in the world in that time instead of... :facepalm:

There's really no need to provide a tome of evidence against Ott for us to know he is not worth his contract. Overall, I think it's a consensus opinion on this forum that this team's fourth line, including Ott, is just not up to snuff with the rest of the league.

So yeah, old news buddy. But thanks for trying.

F-
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Horrible game. Worst Blues game I've watched in a while.

Watch while Hitch scapegoats the youngest player in the squad, Jaskin, who was shorn of minutes in this match in favor of, basically, Ott. Between that and his completely moronic line juggling (I know you think you're clever Ken but from here it looks like you STILL don't know what your best lines are) I'm in full "bring back a cup or don't come back at all" mode with this coach/front office.
Portland Blues wrote:The thing that stuns me (again this year) is how we can kick so much ass during an 82 game season and then as soon as the playoffs start we play like ass. Seriously, how do we go from so good to so horrible in such a short span?
Blues did very well this season in the shootout and against non-playoff teams. That doesn't help them now. And they heavily rely on three regular-season-only players: Backes, Oshie and Steen.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I am going to put it out there just the same.

We had lots of talk about freeing up cash to sign tarasenko, and I think the best way to do that is to move on from Backes, Oshie, Steen, and Berglund. Of that group, Bergs' playoff numbers are the only one who is even close to his reg season numbers.

Those guys have been here for all of our recent playoff forays, and have all disappeared for most if not all of them. You can say what you want about each of those guys, but the results suggest they are not winners as a group. The best thing for the future of the team is to start spinning them for assets now before they are brokendown rentals.

This team with the current core, that's been together a looong time by modern standards, can't win playoff games on the road to save their lives. At some point you need to cut bait and rebuild the culture of the team.

These core forwards are a good start.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I am going to put it out there just the same.

We had lots of talk about freeing up cash to sign tarasenko, and I think the best way to do that is to move on from Backes, Oshie, Steen, and Berglund. Of that group, Bergs' playoff numbers are the only one who is even close to his reg season numbers.

Those guys have been here for all of our recent playoff forays, and have all disappeared for most if not all of them. You can say what you want about each of those guys, but the results suggest they are not winners as a group. The best thing for the future of the team is to start spinning them for assets now before they are brokendown rentals.

This team with the current core, that's been together a looong time by modern standards, can't win playoff games on the road to save their lives. At some point you need to cut bait and rebuild the culture of the team.

I don't support that opinion after game 3 of a 7 game series, but if we lose this series, I'm not opposed to blowing part of our team up. I would't want to do a complete fire sale. But, I'd be ok with a pretty major move to shake things up.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I am going to put it out there just the same.

I was thinking about this last night. Those 4 players you have mentioned have been here for every postseason run since Hitch was hired. They all disappear, more or less, in the postseason on an annual basis. Should we bow out in the 1st round, after winning the toughest division in the league, I'm more than okay trading one or two of them. It's early, as cardsfan says. It's not like I WANT to see those guys gone. But the thoughts are starting to creep in that we need to do something else if this series keeps trending as it is.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:Horrible game. Worst Blues game I've watched in a while.

Watch while Hitch scapegoats the youngest player in the squad, Jaskin, who was shorn of minutes in this match in favor of, basically, Ott. Between that and his completely moronic line juggling (I know you think you're clever Ken but from here it looks like you STILL don't know what your best lines are) I'm in full "bring back a cup or don't come back at all" mode with this coach/front office.
Portland Blues wrote:The thing that stuns me (again this year) is how we can kick so much ass during an 82 game season and then as soon as the playoffs start we play like ass. Seriously, how do we go from so good to so horrible in such a short span?
Blues did very well this season in the shootout and against non-playoff teams. That doesn't help them now. And they heavily rely on three regular-season-only players: Backes, Oshie and Steen.
I wouldn't call Steen a regular season player only. He has had some huge goals in past playoffs.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Barret Jackman is a f**king moron.

He sits there and hacks and hacks then looks shocked in disbelief when he gets called for slashing or cross checking.

There's a difference between playing tough and being a hack and Jackman has turned into a hack.

Ott is worthless. He's not getting under anybody's skin. The wild don't give two craps about a player skating around and trying to stir things up. They were too busy winning a playoff hockey game.

Offense didn't show up or couldn't figure out a way to score against the Wild. Not sure which it is. (In other words, the players or the coaching).
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote:I don't support that opinion after game 3 of a 7 game series, but if we lose this series, I'm not opposed to blowing part of our team up. I would't want to do a complete fire sale. But, I'd be ok with a pretty major move to shake things up.
The major move would be Hitchcock getting fired. I see that move being made first and foremost if the Blues don't get out of the first round again. I don't think you blow up the team - god knows it's hard enough just to get to where you're at.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I've had some time to calm down after last night's overly frustrating performance.

There is no doubt that this team sucked the big one last night and for half of game #1. That goes without saying.
But after listening to all of the crazy rants from bridge jumpers call up sports talk radio this morning...at this time I refuse to put myself in that crazy boat...HOWEVER, time is quickly running out for this group of players and my patience is running very thin.

I was listening to The Morning After, and the callers were off their rockers. Doug Vaughn was the level headed guy, and he got attacked by the callers because he wasn't giving up on this team and wasn't calling for the Hitch's head.

Being down 2-1 is not reason for giving up on a team, especially one that won the toughest division in hockey. Should they get their heads out of their asses and win game #4, the Blues regain home ice advantage with game #5 in St. Louis on Friday. Which is a desirable position to be in for them right now. But...with that said, the Blues will need a vast improvement in play if that is to happen. Being down 2-1 in a series isn't anything drastic to overcome for a good team and isn't anything people should freak out over. The problem that so many folks have is the way they have gone down 2-1. They have sucked in those two losses...they've sucked really bad. It's some of the worst hockey I have seen since the Kitchen era. So something needs to change, and change drastically in a hurry.

The Wild deserve to be up 2 games to 1...no question. But on paper, the Blues are the better team. So, I would expect the Blues to ramp up the intensity and play a much more focused game in game #4. They have the players to do it, they just need to get it done because being down 3-1 in a series when you aren't playing well would be a bad situation to be in.

If you guys think people are freaking out about being down 2-1 in the series, imagine what Blues nation will be like if they play like shit again in game #4 and are down 3-1.

If anyone here thinks I am the kind of guy who will ever give up on this team or call a series "over" before it is in fact actually over, you guys don't know me very well. Being down 2-1 is anything but a done deal series loss. Yes, the Blues do have to win 3 out of 4 games now...but the Wild have to win 2 out of 4...that's no easy task for them either. Many picked this series to go 6 or 7 games, so that means a 2-1 deficit for the Blues isn't anything that would surprise anyone too much...but what is surprising people and frustrating people is the way they have lost those games.

This team can play much, much better. We've seen it. They just need to do it. They need to play these games like they are a game 7. They need that level of intensity. Why that intensity hasn't been there, I have no idea. It's not like they aren't trying. They are out there giving it 100%, but it's just not clicking at all...which can be extremely frustrating I am sure.

The Blues should be pissed a lot more than we are. They need to come out and play angry. They need to shove Minnesota's game right up their ass and show them how good this team can be. That's easier said than done, but the clock is running out so they really don't have a choice.

If this team bows out playing shit hockey in the 1st round, I'll be all for a coaching change and moving a couple players out. I'm not at that point yet, because it's only a 2-1 series deficit. If they turn things around and play they way they are capable of playing from here on out, I'll stand behind Hitch and this team...but to me this is seriously a fork in the road time. Depending on how these next few games go, that will determine how I will feel about the future of this team under Hitch and with this core group of players.

Shit or get off the (Franking) pot boys. We expect much better.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:I don't support that opinion after game 3 of a 7 game series, but if we lose this series, I'm not opposed to blowing part of our team up. I would't want to do a complete fire sale. But, I'd be ok with a pretty major move to shake things up.
The major move would be Hitchcock getting fired. I see that move being made first and foremost if the Blues don't get out of the first round again. I don't think you blow up the team - god knows it's hard enough just to get to where you're at.
I think it would be more of the "change of scenary" moves. Lateral movements for maybe some similarly situated players on other teams (that have the talent but don't seem to be delivering... for whatever reason). I'm not envisioning the "Oshie for a 2nd rounder" type crap.

IF the Blues don't get out of the first round (and that's a big IF), then I think there has finally been enough evidence that this team just doesn't have the "it" factor of a killer instinct to win playoff series, a la San Jose Sharks.

Crucial scoring, big plays on the big stage. Your Hawks and the Kings seem to do it second nature. Personally I don't think it's something that can be coached. By some miracle of on-ice chemistry, those two teams have shown they just refuse to lose.

So I'm willing to keep juggling around until we see it. I had hoped with Stastny, Lehtera, Michalek and others added that it was enough of a shake up. We'll see.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

https://twitter.com/RodeoClownOtt/status/590568610021650432 :lol:
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Barret Jackman is a f**king moron.

He sits there and hacks and hacks then looks shocked in disbelief when he gets called for slashing or cross checking.

There's a difference between playing tough and being a hack and Jackman has turned into a hack.

Ott is worthless. He's not getting under anybody's skin. The wild don't give two craps about a player skating around and trying to stir things up. They were too busy winning a playoff hockey game.

Offense didn't show up or couldn't figure out a way to score against the Wild. Not sure which it is. (In other words, the players or the coaching).
It's not like Stewart was out there interfering with him or anything. Take that into account.

It's not like the Wild are blatantly interfering with Blues players away from the puck - as in Pietrangelo gets shoved into the Blues net with the puck 15 feet away from him behind his own net. Niether the Wild player nor Petro were making any attempt at playing the puck. Blatant interference by the Wild player.

It's not like Petro got tripped in the offensive zone which directly led to the Wild's first goal.

Blues played like shit, but the Wild didn't get called for one penalty - while interfering and tripping the Blues throughout the damn game.

There were several times a Wild player pinched a Blues player off behind the net who had not touched the puck while that same Wild player made no effort to touch the puck. This was the definition of the interference the league supposedly wanted to eliminate to make games more entertaining in terms of offense. Of course, it doesn't apply to Blues opponents in the playoffs. Had the Blues done it once, it probably would have been called immediately, but the Blues didn't even attempt to copy the Wild's cheating ways. They should - because they can bitch at the refs for not calling the game if they penalize the Blues and not the Wild. If they aren't gonna call crap - take advantage of it. The Blues aren't doing so, while the Wild are.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:Barret Jackman is a f**king moron.

It's not like Stewart was out there interfering with him or anything. Take that into account.

It's not like the Wild are blatantly interfering with Blues players away from the puck - as in Pietrangelo gets shoved into the Blues net with the puck 15 feet away from him behind his own net. Niether the Wild player nor Petro were making any attempt at playing the puck. Blatant interference by the Wild player.

It's not like Petro got tripped in the offensive zone which directly led to the Wild's first goal.

Blues played like shit, but the Wild didn't get called for one penalty - while interfering and tripping the Blues throughout the damn game.

There were several times a Wild player pinched a Blues player off behind the net who had not touched the puck while that same Wild player made no effort to touch the puck. This was the definition of the interference the league supposedly wanted to eliminate to make games more entertaining in terms of offense. Of course, it doesn't apply to Blues opponents in the playoffs. Had the Blues done it once, it probably would have been called immediately, but the Blues didn't even attempt to copy the Wild's cheating ways. They should - because they can bitch at the refs for not calling the game if they penalize the Blues and not the Wild. If they aren't gonna call crap - take advantage of it. The Blues aren't doing so, while the Wild are.
Agreed on the lack of penalties called on the Wild. Petro was tripped, so was someone else who had a puck when driving to the net...forgot who that was...lost the puck and the Wild went the other way. When Petro was tripped, he lost his stick...he had to skate farther into the zone to go get it and that is why he was so far behind the play. He probably should have went to the bench to get a new stick and get back into the play faster.

And the call on Jackman was a horrible call. That is simply not a penalty...I'm sorry.

No penalties in a playoff game? There are missed calls in every game, but to not call a single one on the Wild? That was a joke. There were plenty they could have called but chose not to.

With that said, the Blues played like crap and didn't deserve to win. But who knows...if they get a PP, maybe they convert and it energizes the team and things end up differently. Either way...they need to play light years better in game #4.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

bluenotebacker
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by bluenotebacker »

I agree with Curt. Three games in down 2-1 after garbage hockey by the Blues is frustrating as a fan, but certainly not time to panic or hit the ejector seat button. Let's see what they come back with Wednesday night before condemning them to eternal Hellfire.

I've been wondering if maybe this isn't on the coaching staff nearly as much as the players, but it obviously must be on the coaches somewhat. I'm 100% for blowing up the roster if they continue playing like shit, but they're not done with this series yet, so let's hold off on calling for trades until after it's over.

If Hitch isn't in St. Louis next year it'll be because he & Army agree he shouldn't come back. If you want to call it "firing" then fine, but it'll be on Hitch's terms, right or wrong. With the questionable line combos and his reluctance to sit vets like Bouwmeester I've lost track of what Hitch's plan seems to be, but really why would I assume to know it anyway, lol.

The guy I relaly want to see fired and replaced is Brad Shaw. I think he had handled the defense this year very poorly, though I believe the direction they took of getting away from Defense First was harmful and possibly not entirely his fault.
People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but it's fun to watch them tumble down the stairs every once in a while.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I will say that the team still technically has a chance to right the ship, maybe go all the way. But, like mentioned before, if there's anything other than the Cup this year, I'm on board with wholesale changes.

The most important members of this team right now are Tarasenko, Schwartz, Lehtera, Shattenkirk, Pie and Allen. The rest should be dealt with on a player by player basis. I'd personally keep Jaskin, Steen, Stastny for one more year to see if he can have a better second season, Bortuzzo for sure, and I think Reaves could be better with good linemates, not the sludge he has to work with now. Obviously you won't blow up three entire lines and two full defensive pairings, but they need to take a good long look at who does and doesn't belong.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Career playoff stats for the two of the Blues 1st line forwards

Oshie
GP 27 G 4 A 3 Pts7 +/- -10

Backes
GP 26 G 4 A 7 Pts 11 +/- -7

Averaging 1 goal every 6.5+ games??? Not getting it done. That's the equivalent of 12 goals per 82 game season if anyone is counting.

Even if you combine the 8 goals - that's 1 goal per 3 games from the duo. That's the equivalent of 27 goals per 82 game season for the pair, which is absolutely horrible.

If the Blues don't advance, it's time to move on from those who aren't producing and are the supposed core leaders of this team.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

theohall wrote:Career playoff stats for the two of the Blues 1st line forwards

Oshie
GP 27 G 4 A 3 Pts7 +/- -10

Backes
GP 26 G 4 A 7 Pts 11 +/- -7

Averaging 1 goal every 6.5+ games??? Not getting it done. That's the equivalent of 12 goals per 82 game season if anyone is counting.

Even if you combine the 8 goals - that's 1 goal per 3 games from the duo. That's the equivalent of 27 goals per 82 game season for the pair, which is absolutely horrible.

If the Blues don't advance, it's time to move on from those who aren't producing and are the supposed core leaders of this team.
Backes averages in the mid 20s for goals each year so that's nothing to sneeze at. You don't want to give up a guy who consistently puts up numbers. Oshie, averages around 18 goals and 50 pts a season but in addition to that he gets you guys another 5-6 points in the standings each year just from him being an automatic goal in the shootout. I don't know what each is making now that cap geek is gone but be careful on who you are ready to ship out of town.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I base this on very minimal NHL data, but I would bet Barbashev, Fabbri and Rattie can and will produce more offense regular season and playoffs, as well as more speed, than Steen, Oshie and Backes. This team is slowwwww. It's like watching slugs against rabbits out there. I see footraces and I know the Wild will catch up or beat the Blues to most pucks most times. When they do get there, someone in green is on them like Oprah on a baked ham and it makes getting some momentum the other way extremely challenging. If I recall, Hitch made it the assignment of the players to work on their speed during last offseason. Obviously they didn't do their homework. Of the three, I'd be inclined most to keep Steen, but his numbers last season were skewed because of his en fuego start.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

heff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heff »

Whenever Jackman touches the puck, I instantly anticipate a turnover. He rarely disappoints.