GDT #78: 4/3/15 | 7:30PM CST | @ Stars | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #78: 4/3/15 | 7:30PM CST | @ Stars | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

BLUES (47-23-7) at STARS (37-30-10)

TV: FS-MW, FS-SW

Season series: The St. Louis Blues and Dallas Stars have split the first four games, with the road team winning each game. St. Louis got 28 saves from Jake Allen, and Vladimir Tarasenko broke a scoreless tie in the third period of the Blues' 3-0 victory on March 15.

Blues team scope: Goalie Brian Elliott will start after Allen made 17 saves Thursday in a 3-1 win against the Calgary Flames that moved St. Louis within two points of the Nashville Predators for first place in the Central Division. The Blues, who have a game in hand on the Predators, got a goal and an assist each from Paul Stastny, Jaden Schwartz, Jori Lehtera and Patrik Berglund. Tarasenko and forward Alexander Steen each will likely miss the game with a lower-body injury. Steen has already missed two games because of his injury, and Tarasenko missed his first game of the season Thursday. Tarasenko and Steen are first and second in points for St. Louis.

Stars team scope: Dallas recalled forward Valeri Nichushkin from the Texas Stars of the American Hockey League on Thursday following a conditioning assignment. Nichushkin missed nearly five months following hip surgery. He's expected to return to the lineup either against the Blues or Saturday against the Nashville Predators. "He's real excited to be back playing," coach Lindy Ruff said of Nichushkin, according to the Stars website. "He is real excited. He is definitely going to play one, and he could play both." Center Shawn Horcoff (illness) did not practice Thursday and is questionable. Defenseman Jordie Benn (back), who missed the past two games, practiced Thursday and is likely to return to the lineup. The Stars trail the Los Angeles Kings by six points for the second wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Western Conference with five games remaining. They are 5-1-1 since losing to the Blues.
With their recent struggles behind them and a playoff spot secured, the St. Louis Blues can turn their focus to getting healthier while chasing their third division title in 28 years.

The Blues will move into a tie atop the Central Division on Friday night with a third consecutive road victory over the Dallas Stars, though that might be a challenging task without their top two scorers.

St. Louis seemed to be fading from the division race after 1-3-2 stretch left it four points back with six games to play.

Nashville, however, has lost its last two games while the Blues (47-23-7) snapped a two-game skid and clinched a postseason berth by closing out a three-game homestand with Thursday's 4-1 win over Calgary.

The Blues now have a chance to pull even with the idle Predators by winning the season series with Dallas (37-30-10). The squad's only division titles since 1987 came when it won the Central in 1999-2000 and 2011-12.

St. Louis, though, could be missing Vladimir Tarasenko - among the league leaders with 36 goals and 71 points - for a second straight game. He's day to day with a lower-body injury, but the club may be cautious so he'll be ready for the playoffs.

Tarasenko's absence would be big in this contest since he's scored five times in the four meetings.

The right wing had a hat trick, including the overtime winner, and added an assist in a 4-3 victory at Dallas on Oct. 28. He tallied another goal in a 3-0 road win March 15 and also scored in a 4-3 home loss Dec. 27.

Making things worse, Alexander Steen - second on the club with 62 points - might be sidelined again due to a lower-body injury. He's scored five times to go along with five assists in his past seven road games.

''Those are tough guys to replace, so we've got to do it as a group,'' said Jaden Schwartz, who scored Thursday's first goal.

Paul Stastny, who also had a goal, has scored eight times in his last nine trips to Dallas dating to his time with Colorado.

The Blues tightened up defensively and outshot Calgary 43-18 after they had given up eight goals in their previous two games. After Thursday's 17-save effort, Jake Allen could give way to Brian Elliott in the second of back-to-back contests.

Coach Ken Hitchcock yanked Elliott in favor of Allen after he allowed three goals midway through the first period of a 4-1 home loss to the Stars on Feb. 17. That loss ended Elliott's four-game winning streak versus Dallas.

Jamie Benn had three goals in that contest and he's also scored three times in his last four home games. The captain, who ranks among the NHL leaders with 74 points, had two assists in Monday's 5-3 home loss to Calgary.

Dallas is expected to turn back to Kari Lehtonen, who seeks a career-best 35th win but has allowed at least three goals in each of last five starts. The struggling netminder was pulled Monday after giving up four on 19 shots.

''I think it was more about just trying to get some new blood there and new excitement," said Lehtonen, who is 2-1-1 with a 2.49 GAA versus St. Louis this season. "That's just part of being a goalie."

The Stars have lost two of three since a 7-1-0 stretch, leaving them six points out of a wild-card spot with five games left.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GDT #78: 4/3/15 | 7:30PM CST | @ Stars | FSMW/KMOX

Post by cprice12 »

Well, if things fall our way tonight in this game and in Buffalo...we could be tied with Nashville and also 3 pts. up on Chicago with only 4 games left.

Hockey Gods...make it so.

LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I dunno where to put this, but it's awesome. This is the penalty box in detroit:

2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Bortuzzo stays in.
Porter replaces Jokinen.
Gunnarson replaces Jackman...who was set to play in his 800th game, but they are sitting him for a game after getting all stitched up after the Bollig hit last night.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Yeah, I'm fine with all that - rest the vets and the injured guys on the 2nd night of a back to back, especially after a good home win.

That said, I hope the offense keeps clicking like last night. It must be a HUGE relief actually for Steen and Tarasenko to see the rest of the team step up in their absence. Tank definitely has had that feel of someone squeezing their stick too hard the last few games, hopefully this break and the outburst (esp if it continues) helps him regain that touch.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

oh yeah

Blues 7
Stars 1 eat shit

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

So I have this one particular Blues t-shirt I've had for a long time, probably about 15 years or so. But interestingly, every time I make any sort of physical contact with it on a game day, and heaven forbid I go so far as to actually wear it on game day, the Blues lose. This has proven to be accurate probably about 85% of the time. It's just this one shirt, not my jerseys, sweatshirts, hat, etc... I consider it a bad luck shirt and I go out of my way to avoid acknowledging I own it. Yesterday I smothered it under a pile of other clothes, which is where I intend to keep it until Backes is hoisting the Cup. Thanks to me, the Blues will win tonight. Let's call it a 5-2 final. You're welcome.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:So I have this one particular Blues t-shirt I've had for a long time, probably about 15 years or so. But interestingly, every time I make any sort of physical contact with it on a game day, and heaven forbid I go so far as to actually wear it on game day, the Blues lose. This has proven to be accurate probably about 85% of the time. It's just this one shirt, not my jerseys, sweatshirts, hat, etc... I consider it a bad luck shirt and I go out of my way to avoid acknowledging I own it. Yesterday I smothered it under a pile of other clothes, which is where I intend to keep it until Backes is hoisting the Cup. Thanks to me, the Blues will win tonight. Let's call it a 5-2 final. You're welcome.
Wait until an off day like tomorrow and burn that shit.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Didn't see the first period but it looks like we're getting whipped in shots and we gave up a goal with 10 seconds left in the period?

:doh:

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

Portland Blues wrote:Didn't see the first period but it looks like we're getting whipped in shots and we gave up a goal with 10 seconds left in the period?

:doh:
Penalty shot goal... :facepalm:
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Am I still watching the Buf-Chi game??? What was that Bouw??? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

wtf happened...not even a minute in and we are up 3-2... :aaaa:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Aaaaand now we're down 4-3.

:facepalm:

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Great call on the state of this franchise, guys. I was obviously wrong the whole time.

Might as well start the Hitch search now. No reason to pretend any longer. If Bylesma will sign the contract now to oversee the rest of this season, I'd consider it.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Now 5-3 Dallas...

:cussing:

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Love how all the morons on twitter are calling for Allen

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Cue the theme from Rocky - here comes the comeback!

:grin:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Nasty shot from Schwartz, hopefully a hatty from Bergs or Schwartz tonight.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

STLADOGG wrote:Nasty shot from Schwartz, hopefully a hatty from Bergs or Schwartz tonight.
How about both... :P :okman:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Misc. Blues wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:Nasty shot from Schwartz, hopefully a hatty from Bergs or Schwartz tonight.
How about both... :P :okman:
:zelda:
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW