Do you want to see Sobotka brought in for the playoff run?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

rorschach
Prospect
Prospect

Do you want to see Sobotka brought in for the playoff run?

Post by rorschach »

It will burn his 1 year arbitration deal, but I don't believe he will be willing to play out a full regular season with this team next year anyway. Army will more than likely have to trade him, so why not let him burn the 1 year deal, now and get a little extra gumption come PO time.

What do you guys think?

(P.S. - Wouldn't mind seeing Rattie or maybe Fabbri on the extended rosters either, for a little bit more offensive pop.)
THIS IS THE YEAR THE ST. LOUIS BLUES PISS EXCELLENCE

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Do you want to see Sobotka brought in for the playoff ru

Post by glen a richter »

Can they bring him in? Isn't he contractually bound to the KHL for the season, or is his team out?

Fabbri missed a lot of time with injury this season. Don't thrust him into an NHL playoff when he's not ready for that kind of intensity. I wouldn't object to seeing Barbashev get some time though in the playoffs for a different offensive look, or Parayko get some time the last few regular season games in preparation for competing for the #7 next year.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

At this point, I don't really want him on the team, at least for this year. I just don't know where he fits, as this team has some well defined roles at this point.

I saw Rutherford retweet these yesterday and didn't want to start a new thread for them, but I feel like they fit here.

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:At this point, I don't really want him on the team, at least for this year. I just don't know where he fits, as this team has some well defined roles at this point.

I saw Rutherford retweet these yesterday and didn't want to start a new thread for them, but I feel like they fit here.

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]
If Sobotka's contract is so large that they will have trouble retaining him after one season, why the hell did they offer him that contract?

Aside from not knowing where he would fit in the lineup after not being here all season, I worry about how the other Blues would feel toward him after he jumped ship. It doesn't seem like a good idea to do something like that just before the playoffs.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JR touched on this in his chat yesterday. Short version is:

-They can't afford him because of tanking rubble
-Sobotka has an out after each year of his contract in the KHL and his season is done
-Blues (I assume army) say that situation won't be addressed until the offseason, meaning they won't bring him back for the playoffs.
I saw a report online this morning alluding to the fact that Vladimir Sobotka's KHL team may not be able to afford his contract next season due to the devalued status of the Russian Ruble and the fact that Sobotka's contract is one of the league's highest. Pursuing that line of thought, do you know if Blues' GM Doug Armstrong and Sobotka's current agent (????) have begun preliminary talks about Sobotka's future with the Blues next year?
by slapshot 1:21 PM yesterday

I asked about this morning. There are no plans and (to my knowledge) have been no discussions between the two sides regarding Sobotka's future in the NHL. I was assured that nothing will happen this season and the situation won't be addressed until the summer ... return to STL, trade him, etc. Sobotka's season in the KHL is over and there was a report today in which his KHL team said that it would be difficult to bring him back. But at this point, there has been no discussion about his return to the NHL.
by jrutherford 1:24 PM yesterday

What are your thoughts on Sobotka's future, either in STL, or in the NHL in general?
by Blues1212 1:24 PM yesterday

My guess is that he tries to return to the NHL. With the fall of the ruble, the KHL is not what it was when Sobotka made the decision to leave. We've known since he signed in Russia that he does have an out clause after each year of his contract, so he does have the ability to return to the NHL this summer. He was quoted months ago saying that he was upset with the Blues over the situation, and therefore many wonder if he would come back to STL. The sticking point, though, is that he remains property for the Blues for whatever season he decides to return and his salary will be $2.725 million. So if he decides to come back, the two sides would have to smooth things over for him to be a Blue again, or the team could decide to trade him, which is still a possibility.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Wouldn't be a good idea I think. Just messes up team chemistry, and on the other hand, he wanted to leave. He doesn't deserve to have a cup run with us. I have nothing against him, don't get me wrong, I understand his frustration during the summer, but what happened happened, and there shouldn't be coming back from there this easily.

And I'm not even sure that this is possible at all.
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Fradi wrote:I'm not even sure that this is possible at all.
My thoughts exactly. Didn't know the season had ended for him but then, I don't follow the KHL.

Would definitely have him back next season if at all possible. Where does he fit? Very nicely into the minutes being spunked on mediocrities like Ott and Berglund, thank you very much. If there isn't bad blood, I'd make it a priority to pick him up while losing those two and letting Goc walk (don't mind him; just a casualty to the numbers).

rorschach
Prospect
Prospect

Post by rorschach »

glen a richter wrote:Can they bring him in? Isn't he contractually bound to the KHL for the season, or is his team out?

Fabbri missed a lot of time with injury this season. Don't thrust him into an NHL playoff when he's not ready for that kind of intensity. I wouldn't object to seeing Barbashev get some time though in the playoffs for a different offensive look, or Parayko get some time the last few regular season games in preparation for competing for the #7 next year.
His team has been eliminated from what I understand.
THIS IS THE YEAR THE ST. LOUIS BLUES PISS EXCELLENCE

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Can't.

Its the Reijo Ruotsalainen rule. Rexy played in Europe until the Euro season ended then the Oilers brought him over for the playoffs. NHL enacted a rule that any player brought over under those circumstances has to clear waivers in order to play (how we lost that tub of goo we signed a couple years back Marek Svatos?).
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

flyingnote38 wrote:Can't.

Its the Reijo Ruotsalainen rule. Rexy played in Europe until the Euro season ended then the Oilers brought him over for the playoffs. NHL enacted a rule that any player brought over under those circumstances has to clear waivers in order to play (how we lost that tub of goo we signed a couple years back Marek Svatos?).
Svatos also came back after a stint with Avangard, ironically.

Jackman5
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Jackman5 »

Don't need him. He dumped on the Blues last off-season. Wait 'til this off-season and orchestrate a trade.

Lehtera has taken his place.