Blues trade Joakim Lindstrom/cond pick for Olli Jokinen

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues trade Joakim Lindstrom/cond pick for Olli Jokinen

Post by drwoland »

cprice12 wrote:Hitch just said during an interview the other day that it doesn't matter if they are younger or a veteran...whoever is playing better will play.
Now, talk is cheap...but we'll see if that is actually the case.
He also said that Elliott starts tonight and beyond that he doesn't know. I'm hoping that part of it is just "interview talk", because I would hope that as long as Elliott is playing well he'll play the vast majority of the games down the stretch.
"Better" is subjective. What if Hitch thinks it's better to contribute zero points as long as you never missed a defensive assignment?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

drwoland wrote:
cprice12 wrote:Hitch just said during an interview the other day that it doesn't matter if they are younger or a veteran...whoever is playing better will play.
He also said that Elliott starts tonight and beyond that he doesn't know. I'm hoping that part of it is just "interview talk", because I would hope that as long as Elliott is playing well he'll play the vast majority of the games down the stretch.
"Better" is subjective. What if Hitch thinks it's better to contribute zero points as long as you never missed a defensive assignment?
My understanding was that Hitch preferred veterans over rookies/young players every day of the week. When Tank was avaliable in the playoffs when he (Tank) first came over, Hitch didn't even give him the time of day. If that was some contract issue or something, do correct me, but my understanding of him, just by following him, is that he'd rather put a veteran that downright sucks or is limited in their play out there over a prospect or rookie.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
drwoland wrote:
My understanding was that Hitch preferred veterans over rookies/young players every day of the week. When Tank was avaliable in the playoffs when he (Tank) first came over, Hitch didn't even give him the time of day. If that was some contract issue or something, do correct me, but my understanding of him, just by following him, is that he'd rather put a veteran that downright sucks or is limited in their play out there over a prospect or rookie.
I don't think it was a contract issue, but I don't think you're being fair in your representation of it either. Tarasenko had conditioning issues that year and was still fairly inconsistent as a player.

I don't think Hitch would rather have a veteran that sucks over a young guy with potential (at least phrased that way). But, one thing to keep in mind is that rookies and prospects are still developing and adjusting to the league. Developing players make mistakes at a higher rate than veterans. While frequency of mistakes is hardly the only factor in building a lineup, when so much is on the line you do have to consider it.

That's why I'm not upset about having Jokinen. If there's an injury, none of the replacements are going to be game changers. None of them. So, I don't mind having a guy that's been around for awhile that knows the ropes and is less likely to do something stupid.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
drwoland wrote:
I don't think it was a contract issue, but I don't think you're being fair in your representation of it either. Tarasenko had conditioning issues that year and was still fairly inconsistent as a player.

I don't think Hitch would rather have a veteran that sucks over a young guy with potential (at least phrased that way). But, one thing to keep in mind is that rookies and prospects are still developing and adjusting to the league. Developing players make mistakes at a higher rate than veterans. While frequency of mistakes is hardly the only factor in building a lineup, when so much is on the line you do have to consider it.

That's why I'm not upset about having Jokinen. If there's an injury, none of the replacements are going to be game changers. None of them. So, I don't mind having a guy that's been around for awhile that knows the ropes and is less likely to do something stupid.
Mind I said my understanding. I may not understand at all, thus is why I posted the above. I don't think it's a bad discussion topic, since until recently we haven't made anyone really ride pine beyond when Hitch pulled Tank and put Bergy in his place for a bit the game before and the whole Allen - Ells - Allen bit. I like the fact that he's hedging towards doing that (Or is it just a fluke from a really fluky game?) and I for one would like to see what Joker brings to the table, on the ice.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Naturally he'd say that and for the record, I'm not suggesting he'll go with a veteran who "sucks" regardless. It's that veteran status clearly shades his evaluation of players' quality. I don't feel like I need to watch what he does to know that after closely watching what he does for over 3 seasons and being familiar with his career generally.

I'm not upset about having Jokinen either. I just worry he'll take minutes from a better player and I do think the pick given for him was just thrown away.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:
Naturally he'd say that and for the record, I'm not suggesting he'll go with a veteran who "sucks" regardless. It's that veteran status clearly shades his evaluation of players' quality. I don't feel like I need to watch what he does to know that after closely watching what he does for over 3 seasons and being familiar with his career generally.

I'm not upset about having Jokinen either. I just worry he'll take minutes from a better player and I do think the pick given for him was just thrown away.
Which is why I said "talk is cheap"...and I agree with you that when Hitch says "whoever is playing better" is subjective on his analysis and who fits better in his system.

And I'm not going to lose any sleep whatsoever over losing a 6th rd. pick. Giving up Lindstrom was nothing, and giving up a 6th rd. pick was essentially nothing. If Jokinen helps this team just a tiny little bit, the trade is easily worth it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/