Blues trade Joakim Lindstrom/cond pick for Olli Jokinen

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues trade Joakim Lindstrom/cond pick for Olli Jokinen

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

I'm actually excited about this trade. Image

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Yeah Jokinen's crazy ass has always been fun to watch, kinda looking forward to it.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
APOD wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Joakim Lindstrom also traded in this deal.
Now this makes a little more sense.
Yup. Depth centerman move to get someone better than Lindstrom. Blues were undoubtedly going to be dumping the salary no matter what at the end of the season so might as well upgrade a bit. Nothing more complicated than that going on here.
I'm for this, lindstrom was a experiment that just didn't work out. Here we get a upgrade and I know his numbers are down this year but nashville had been playing him at the wing all year, according to olli that is why his numbers are down this year.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I wonder if Jokinen's wife has big cans. That may be a factor here.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

:cup:

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

MAJOR upgrade. This guy is pure heart.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Need to start stock piling big macs.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Garbage trade. Throwing away a pick-a higher one than we got for Cole. If this guy gets minutes, something has gone seriously wrong.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ecbm wrote:Garbage trade. Throwing away a pick-a higher one than we got for Cole. If this guy gets minutes, something has gone seriously wrong.
I didn't get it at first, but I think I'm OK with it now. He's our new 13th forward. Somebody gets hurt, instead of going to Rattie (who I wouldn't trust in the playoffs) or Lindstrom (who I wouldn't trust ever), we have a veteran that's been around forever. He's fairly washed up, but as injury depth (which is all he is), he's probably an upgrade.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ecbm wrote:Garbage trade. Throwing away a pick-a higher one than we got for Cole. If this guy gets minutes, something has gone seriously wrong.
I didn't get it at first, but I think I'm OK with it now. He's our new 13th forward. Somebody gets hurt, instead of going to Rattie (who I wouldn't trust in the playoffs) or Lindstrom (who I wouldn't trust ever), we have a veteran that's been around forever. He's fairly washed up, but as injury depth (which is all he is), he's probably an upgrade.
Would much rather Rattie get the minutes so we can see if he has a future with the club. Jokinen has no future with the Blues. And in no scenario is he a difference maker. So why not keep the pick?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ecbm wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
Would much rather Rattie get the minutes so we can see if he has a future with the club. Jokinen has no future with the Blues. And in no scenario is he a difference maker. So why not keep the pick?
Outside of the playoffs, I agree with you. When Rattie gets playing time, we get to see more of what we have with him and he develops as a player. That's a good thing. If this was November, I'd definitely be all on board with that.

If we have an injury to a forward, I doubt the replacement, whoever it is, will be a difference maker. That goes with the territory of a 13th forward. But, while I don't know a ton about Jokinen's game other than he's getting old and not what he once was, I think he's probably the least likely to make a big mistake in a playoff game. I don't want to overdefend the move because Jokinen isn't anything to be excited about either. I just think that's likely where Army's head was at.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
Outside of the playoffs, I agree with you. When Rattie gets playing time, we get to see more of what we have with him and he develops as a player. That's a good thing. If this was November, I'd definitely be all on board with that.

If we have an injury to a forward, I doubt the replacement, whoever it is, will be a difference maker. That goes with the territory of a 13th forward. But, while I don't know a ton about Jokinen's game other than he's getting old and not what he once was, I think he's probably the least likely to make a big mistake in a playoff game. I don't want to overdefend the move because Jokinen isn't anything to be excited about either. I just think that's likely where Army's head was at.
Armstrong said in an interview on the Blues website that the reason they got Jokinen was because he is a veteran player who can fit in with the top 9 forwards. So I don't think Armstrong sees him as a 13th forward who will be scratched 80% of the time. I think he sees him as a 4th line player who can move up into the top 9 if need be. However, it's ultimately Hitch's decision, so we'll see.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Lets just be honest... they didn't want ott to be the oldest guy on the team anymore, that's why this was done.

(I know, Jackman is actually older... but you can't really tell by looking at them)

And I found this picture of what Olli looks like now:

Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

KrustyKevo wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

Armstrong said in an interview on the Blues website that the reason they got Jokinen was because he is a veteran player who can fit in with the top 9 forwards. So I don't think Armstrong sees him as a 13th forward who will be scratched 80% of the time. I think he sees him as a 4th line player who can move up into the top 9 if need be. However, it's ultimately Hitch's decision, so we'll see.
Good lord I hope he was Only Jokin'en.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

[tweet][/tweet]
That's not to say he won't impress in practice and crack the 4th line (possibly supplanting Goc). Otherwise, he has to hope for an injury. The only 3rd liner he could obviously usurp is 21. I would pray Jaskin has cemented himself in the lineup for good.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Toasted Oates wrote:[tweet][/tweet]
That's not to say he won't impress in practice and crack the 4th line (possibly supplanting Goc). Otherwise, he has to hope for an injury. The only 3rd liner he could obviously usurp is 21. I would pray Jaskin has cemented himself in the lineup for good.
Yes, Jaskin should be cemented in this lineup for a while at least. He's been one of our best players the last 10+ games.
Jokinen may play a game or two coming up just to see what he can do, but I can't see him getting much playing time unless someone gets hurt...which is why he was acquired.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Probably done at the behest of Hitch, who just always prefers veterans.

Anyone gets hurt, next in line should be Porter, Cracknell and Rattie. I have no idea what anyone saw from Jokinen this season that makes them assume he's a better option. I don't care that he's a vet.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

ecbm wrote:Probably done at the behest of Hitch, who just always prefers veterans.

Anyone gets hurt, next in line should be Porter, Cracknell and Rattie. I have no idea what anyone saw from Jokinen this season that makes them assume he's a better option. I don't care that he's a vet.
You're entitled to that opinion, but I disagree that Cracknell and Rattie should be ahead of him. Cracknell didnt "crack" the lineup in Columbus or LA this year. Yeah, he has some endearing qualities, but he's a fringe NHL 4th liner at best.

Rattie got his shot, and he was a ghost out there. It's not like Hitchcock refuses to give young guys a chance (see Jaskin, Dmitrij). If Ty would have really buzzed around out there, he'd still be practicing with the big club. His last game, against Chicago, he played 8:27. That's not gonna cut it.

Chris Porter....I'll give you that, but it's close. We all know what Porter's game is all about: hit hard, skate hard, eat, sleep, repeat. Hell, he may toss a garbage goal in once in awhile.

Jokinen is averaging over 13 minutes a game this year. His stats are far from gaudy, but he's getting ice time. He is a dependable vet and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he centers Ott and Reaves for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Granted, this is just my opinion and I could be dead wrong across the board.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Toasted Oates wrote:
ecbm wrote:Probably done at the behest of Hitch, who just always prefers veterans.

You're entitled to that opinion, but I disagree that Cracknell and Rattie should be ahead of him. Cracknell didnt "crack" the lineup in Columbus or LA this year. Yeah, he has some endearing qualities, but he's a fringe NHL 4th liner at best.

Rattie got his shot, and he was a ghost out there. It's not like Hitchcock refuses to give young guys a chance (see Jaskin, Dmitrij). If Ty would have really buzzed around out there, he'd still be practicing with the big club. His last game, against Chicago, he played 8:27. That's not gonna cut it.

Chris Porter....I'll give you that, but it's close. We all know what Porter's game is all about: hit hard, skate hard, eat, sleep, repeat. Hell, he may toss a garbage goal in once in awhile.

Jokinen is averaging over 13 minutes a game this year. His stats are far from gaudy, but he's getting ice time. He is a dependable vet and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he centers Ott and Reaves for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Granted, this is just my opinion and I could be dead wrong across the board.
We'll agree to disagree, that's fine. Jokinen isn't just done, he has been for some time. He didn't crack Nashville's or Toronto's ( :shock: ) lineup despite all that name value he carries around. Cracknell and Porter have some amount of future ahead of them, even if just as fringe NHL players.

Jaskin just makes my point-look what he's done with some consistent ice time. Could he have done that last season if he got the minutes that were given to Ott after he was acquired while nursing an injury? Who knows but I'll argue with anyone who tells me it's impossible. Not surprisingly, just an observation: Hitch not only went with the vet but the FO (which clearly works hand in glove with him) went out of their way to get him. Langenbrunner, Arnott, Morrow, Ott and now Jokinen. I don't believe any of them benefitted the club as much as more time for young/fringe players to develop would have. You mention Rattie's ice time-reminds me of how Hitch used Tarasenko at first. It annoys me.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Hitch just said during an interview the other day that it doesn't matter if they are younger or a veteran...whoever is playing better will play.
Now, talk is cheap...but we'll see if that is actually the case.
He also said that Elliott starts tonight and beyond that he doesn't know. I'm hoping that part of it is just "interview talk", because I would hope that as long as Elliott is playing well he'll play the vast majority of the games down the stretch.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/