Ian Cole traded to PIT for Robert Bortuzzo

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Ian Cole traded to PIT for Robert Bortuzzo

Post by cardsfan04 »

ecbm wrote:
glen a richter wrote:9 points from a stay at home d-man, +16 on the season, +31 over the last 2 seasons. Yep, he stinks. More like he was grossly misused by Hitch. Meanwhile Bouwmeester has 10 points and a +6 but gets paid way the heck more. Jackman has 13 points and also +6. Makes you think.
Yep, and I'm quite sure everyone on here had heard of and was excited about Robert Bortuzzo-who definitely isn't just "what he is", which is another 4A guy like Lindbohm and Butler-before the trade. And then there are commentators and fans saying PIT wanted Cole to get tougher in their own end.

DERP!

I'm hoping if Michalek works out that means Bouwmeester can be shown the door. His contract is looking like a real liability now.
haha, that's a good point about Bortuzzo. I didn't know who he was before we got him and there's a tendency for the home media to talk up a guy that most fans have never heard of. I think this trade is likely a wash between Cole and Bortuzzo. Cole might be better, but he didn't want to be here, and when Shatty/Michalek are healthy, they'd be fighting for the 7th DMan role. This trade will not have a big impact one way or another.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

I'm a bit sad to see him go, I still think there's much more to him than what we've seen, he just never managed to make that one step forward. Good deal I have to say, but part of me hopes Cole will finally find his place in PIT.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced the occasional defensive sloppiness would be solved with the new additions...
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think the next couple of seasons will see major changes on defense, first by the jettison of Bouwmeester and Jackman and then the next season by the jettison of Pietrangelo. Stopgaps will be in place until Schmaltz, Vannelli and Parayko are ready, but they'll be here soonish.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:the jettison of Pietrangelo
Don't know why you'd assume that, glen. He's a great talent who won't be 26 until next January and is in the first year of a very team-friendly contract. Justin Schultz-smaller, drafted later and a generally inferior (though quite good) player only makes $1.15M less this year on his bridge contract. Not at all in the same class as Bouwmeester and Jackman.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Yeah people have soured on Pietro really quickly. It's just one off season so far, and it's not even over yet. Remember, this is a guy that used to take over games for us, granted on a significantly worse team.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

drwoland wrote:Yeah people have soured on Pietro really quickly. It's just one off season so far, and it's not even over yet. Remember, this is a guy that used to take over games for us, granted on a significantly worse team.
Two seasons. He wasn't great last year either.
I've been critical of him...but I don't want the Blues to move him. I want to see him straighten his game out here. But, if they do move him, I think they could probably get more than he is really worth based on his potential...which he may or may not live up to.
Trading Petro would be a ballsy thing to do...and it could make Army a genius if Petro has peaked already, or he could be thought of as a fool if Petro becomes the Norris caliber guy we all hoped he could be.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cprice12 wrote:
drwoland wrote:Yeah people have soured on Pietro really quickly. It's just one off season so far, and it's not even over yet. Remember, this is a guy that used to take over games for us, granted on a significantly worse team.
I've been critical of him...but I don't want the Blues to move him. I want to see him straighten his game out here. But, if they do move him, I think they could probably get more than he is really worth based on his potential...which he may or may not live up to.
Trading Petro would be a ballsy thing to do...and it could make Army a genius if Petro has peaked already, or he could be thought of as a fool if Petro becomes the Norris caliber guy we all hoped he could be.
i don't remember specifically how he played last year, but looking at the numbers, Petro had 51 points in 81 games, was a +20, and finished 5th in Norris voting. I'm not sure I'd call that a bad year. However, the year before (the strike year), he was an even +/-, had 24 points in 47 games. So maybe he was off, but he was still 14th in Norris voting that year.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
i don't remember specifically how he played last year, but looking at the numbers, Petro had 51 points in 81 games, was a +20, and finished 5th in Norris voting. I'm not sure I'd call that a bad year. However, the year before (the strike year), he was an even +/-, had 24 points in 47 games. So maybe he was off, but he was still 14th in Norris voting that year.
I do remember, and he was quite good. A very real candidate for the Norris-got more votes than Doughty (makes $1.7M more than Petro), Karlsson (still on rookie deal) or McDonagh (makes $300K less-a wash). The guys ahead of him in that vote make $14M, $11M, $7M and $7.6M annually-and they're 29, 30, 37 and 31 years old. Honestly, Curt-I think your memory has failed you here. If you aren't impressed with that campaign I really am perplexed.

If I'm an NHL gm and I think there is any thought process about Petro in the Blues FO like ones I've seen here, I'm circling like a vulture. You absolutely will not replace his production for his salary going forward. No chance.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

A couple other thoughts. That "down" season from Petro where he was only 14th in Norris voting was his age 23 season. Only 3 players his age or younger got votes, which does include the winner, Subban. The only one of those guys who doesn't make significantly more than Petro is Ekman-Larsson but he's on his bridge deal and will get paid, even more so since he's clearly the man on PHX's blueline now.

Second, if the Blues blew the 4th overall pick on a guy who peaks before age 25, some people are in serious need of firing.