Blues acquire Zbynek Michalek/pick for Maxim Letunov

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Blues acquire Zbynek Michalek/pick for Maxim Letunov

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:And we are NOT over the cap if they eat 50% of his salary.

We are only on the hook for the pro-rated portion of the deal...what's left to pay him.

There is approximately 25% of the season left, and they are eating 50% of that remaining ~1 million, which means we are getting a rental at about 500k for the rest of the year.

Again, we are NOT over the cap from this deal.
Oh cool. I never knew exactly how the cap worked for midseason acquisitions. That's good to know.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Arizona is gearing up to be a good offensive team real soon. Duclair, Letunov, Dvorak down in the OHL already in the system. These are solid trades for them between yesterday and today. Too bad there won't be anyone at the games to enjoy them.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:Arizona is gearing up to be a good offensive team real soon. Duclair, Letunov, Dvorak down in the OHL already in the system. These are solid trades for them between yesterday and today. Too bad there won't be anyone at the games to enjoy them.
Yep. Letunov's no slouch. A C prospect-Blues system isn't exactly brimming with them-who stands 6'2" at 19 years old-that's a lot of frame to fill out. And don't forget Domi. He's played with Duclair and is part of the reason they got him. They also have two first rounders for the next two seasons.

The pick is decent insurance. Not a bad depth move.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

You can never have too many depth defensemen making a Stanley Cup run. You just can't.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

So the word came out this afternoon that if Michalek plays at all for us, the pick goes back to Arizona and it's a one for one swap. I was thinking it was a no doubt win on the trade, that puts a little damper on it. But it's a smart play for both teams. Blues have insurance in case Michalek doesn't get healthy and Arizona gets a promising young forward. Win/win...but I definitely still like the deal.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:So the word came out this afternoon that if Michalek plays at all for us, the pick goes back to Arizona and it's a one for one swap. I was thinking it was a no doubt win on the trade, that puts a little damper on it. But it's a smart play for both teams. Blues have insurance in case Michalek doesn't get healthy and Arizona gets a promising young forward. Win/win...but I definitely still like the deal.
I'd almost consider benching Michalek just to get the pick...

Almost.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:So the word came out this afternoon that if Michalek plays at all for us, the pick goes back to Arizona and it's a one for one swap. I was thinking it was a no doubt win on the trade, that puts a little damper on it. But it's a smart play for both teams. Blues have insurance in case Michalek doesn't get healthy and Arizona gets a promising young forward. Win/win...but I definitely still like the deal.
More I think about it, the more I like it. There's no risk here-the pick would only be 10 later than Letunov was taken, max, in a deeper draft. If he can play, he's good and gives the Blues real flexibility in the summer. Not bad at all.