GDT #63: 3/1/15 | 8:30PM CST | @ Canucks | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #63: 3/1/15 | 8:30PM CST | @ Canucks | FSMW/KMOX

Post by cardsfan04 »

I didn't make it to the 3rd period. Did Elliott start the period, allow a goal making it 5-2, and then got pulled in favor of the already-pulled Allen? That's kinda strange.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I didn't make it to the 3rd period. Did Elliott start the period, allow a goal making it 5-2, and then got pulled in favor of the already-pulled Allen? That's kinda strange.
Yeah, Ells started the period. He gave up a goal about 7 mins in. The broadcast goes to a commercial break. It comes back, Ells is out and heads to the locker room, upset supposedly. But basically, Hitch had second thoughts, now down 5-2 and not wanting to get his #1 goalie hurt. So he pulls Ells. Allen has admitted to the whole thing being mentally draining.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

cardsfan04 wrote:I didn't make it to the 3rd period. Did Elliott start the period, allow a goal making it 5-2, and then got pulled in favor of the already-pulled Allen? That's kinda strange.
Ells gave up a goal around the 15 minute(5 minutes in) mark I think, and was pulled after that.
Crazy stuff to get a point out of that, definitely showed some heart there. As for the shoot out, can't win it if you don't make any saves.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Thanks for the clarifications. That's odd. I've seen both goalies pulled in a game before, but not sure I've seen one pulled so quickly when it wasn't Keenan sending a message to the rest of the team.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

STLADOGG wrote:As for the shoot out, can't win it if you don't make any saves.
Sure you can! Just need to have some missed shots... :lol: :lol:

Oh well, we were bound to lose a shootout eventually...

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

No way there's nothing to this goalie thing. At very least, Hitch was pissed with his goalies (who knows why) and decided to f with them.

Gotta hope this is a nadir but as I said recently, the timing of this crap is not at all encouraging. Looking around the league, I see a lot of other teams putting their s#it together and then the Blues...not so much.

No way there's any sort of agreement between Army & Bylsma-I dare say Armstrong will go if Hitch does. They feel like a package deal to me.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:No way there's nothing to this goalie thing. At very least, Hitch was pissed with his goalies (who knows why) and decided to f with them.
I dunno.
It could be one of those things that get blown way out of proportion...like the Tarasenko-Backes scuffle in practice.
Goalies don't like to be pulled...sometimes they show that they are pissed. It happens.
I have yet to see the video though of Elliott leaving the ice. I heard he slapped Hitch's hand away when Hitch went to stop him to talk to him. I don't know if that is true or not. If it is, you don't like to see that, but is it a big deal? It depends on how Elliott and Hitch handle it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ecbm wrote:No way there's nothing to this goalie thing. At very least, Hitch was pissed with his goalies (who knows why) and decided to f with them.

Gotta hope this is a nadir but as I said recently, the timing of this crap is not at all encouraging. Looking around the league, I see a lot of other teams putting their s#it together and then the Blues...not so much.

No way there's any sort of agreement between Army & Bylsma-I dare say Armstrong will go if Hitch does. They feel like a package deal to me.
I really doubt Hitch was f-ing with the goalies during a game because he was pissed at them. This is my guess for what happened:

Hitch didn't like how Allen was playing and thought we had a better chance to win with Elliott in net, so he made the change. Once a goal was allowed and we were down 3 with 14 mins to go, Hitch decided to cut his losses and not take a chance on it getting worse by Elliott getting injured. Elliott was likely pissed about being taken out of the game because he was only in for 6 minutes.

It might have been a mistake by Hitch to manage the goalies like that. That's a strange thing to do. But, I think they will talk about it (if they haven't already) and it will be a non-issue moving forward.

Something that I think is important to keep in mind in these situations is that there's a lot of adrenaline going. They're amped up because they're competing. An outburst in that kind of situation isn't the same as if somebody in one of our jobs had an outburst at work.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I hate to say it, as I was vocal against his signing in the first place, but I'd rather have Brodeur backing up Elliott and let Allen spend the rest of the season learning from the guru. I'm not keen on Allen this season. Bumpy first campaign for sure.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Curt-you could be right. But the way I evaluated the #91 v #42 thing was to look at how common practice fights like that are. And they are common. Now pulling both your goalies when the second one had only faced 6 shots and allowed 1 goal? That's very, very uncommon. There has to be a reason for it. Now I find myself wondering about the injury thing. Why did Hitch bring that up? Is Elliott still nursing the injury? He could hurt himself practicing the next day too, you know. One is most likely to hurt oneself, meaning an injury that doesn't involved impact, right after starting to go full speed. That explanation holds no water to me and sounds like a coded: "I'm not answering any more questions about this."

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Guess the only way we'll find out what actually went on is see how the upcoming games go.
Can't be easy for any of our goalies this year with the lackluster defensive performance our boys put in this season, wonder if that had anything to do with it. You know, as in, it finally got to Hitch and he wanted to save his no. 1 from embarrasment at this point of the season, who was pissed off already anyway and reacted in a bad way.
I could be super wrong about it though.
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott