Trade Deadline Watching

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Trade Deadline Watching

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:trades still rolling in...

Caron for Talbot

Wiz to ana from CBJ

And STL is over the cap as near as I can tell... so wondering if there isn't another deal that hasn't been announced yet. If we are over the cap, we have to cut someone, don't we?
Would sending Butler and Lindbohm to the AHL work? I think a team kept less than 23 players for awhile at some point because of cap issues.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

cardsfan04 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:trades still rolling in...

Caron for Talbot

Wiz to ana from CBJ

And STL is over the cap as near as I can tell... so wondering if there isn't another deal that hasn't been announced yet. If we are over the cap, we have to cut someone, don't we?
Would sending Butler and Lindbohm to the AHL work? I think a team kept less than 23 players for awhile at some point because of cap issues.
I don't know if that would cover it. I don't think it's much, but I don't know all the salary details on our acquisitions today. I amsure the front office has a handle on it, though. I can't believe they would (Frank) up so bad that we had to just drop someone.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

From ESPN's live deadline chat (my emphasis added):

Craig Custance wrote:Lou - So tough. The team that wins the deadline doesn't always win in the playoffs. So in the East, I'd go with either Boston or Tampa. But it's wide open. To me, the winner of the Blues/Blackhawks series wins the West.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Leafs are now the Champions of the Tank with one move.

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:From ESPN's live deadline chat (my emphasis added):

Craig Custance wrote:Lou - So tough. The team that wins the deadline doesn't always win in the playoffs. So in the East, I'd go with either Boston or Tampa. But it's wide open. To me, the winner of the Blues/Blackhawks series wins the West.
I don' t know why people are thinking Chicago and St. Louis in the first round is a sure thing. Winnipeg is coming on a bit and Chicago is struggling somewhat...and we're just 4 pts. back of Nashville.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

cprice12 wrote:

I don' t know why people are thinking Chicago and St. Louis in the first round is a sure thing. Winnipeg is coming on a bit and Chicago is struggling somewhat...and we're just 4 pts. back of Nashville.
He didn't say first round, he said when that series happens.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

He didn't say first round, he said when that series happens.
I took that to mean in the 1st round.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cprice12 wrote:I don' t know why people are thinking Chicago and St. Louis in the first round is a sure thing. Winnipeg is coming on a bit and Chicago is struggling somewhat...and we're just 4 pts. back of Nashville.
Agreed - I actually dont' think we'll meet in the first round. We've been flat for 2.5 months now with a .500 record and unspeakable drama. We're just puttering along with a few points here and there and hoping to stay ahead of the teams trailing us. But I dont' believe we'll catch anyone and I'm still worried we'll fall to 9th and out of the playoffs at our current rate. I can see us getting the one of the 2 wild card spots - probably taking on Anaheim in round 1. But tonight we start a new homestand with 3 new players and hopefully the drama starts to die down and we play again.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cprice12 wrote:I don' t know why people are thinking Chicago and St. Louis in the first round is a sure thing. Winnipeg is coming on a bit and Chicago is struggling somewhat...and we're just 4 pts. back of Nashville.
Agreed - I actually dont' think we'll meet in the first round. We've been flat for 2.5 months now with a .500 record and unspeakable drama. We're just puttering along with a few points here and there and hoping to stay ahead of the teams trailing us. But I dont' believe we'll catch anyone and I'm still worried we'll fall to 9th and out of the playoffs at our current rate. I can see us getting the one of the 2 wild card spots - probably taking on Anaheim in round 1. But tonight we start a new homestand with 3 new players and hopefully the drama starts to die down and we play again.
You may fall to a WC (in which case you still might face us), but you won't fall to 9th. LA is 9th and 9 points back. If you play .500 the rest of the way and get 19 points, LA will need 38 points in its last 20 games just to tie you AND nobody else between you and LA can be bad down the stretch with you.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Kerfuffle wrote:

Its just numbers...

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/West ... Louis.html
66.637% Chicago..
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
As much as I would laugh my arse off if the Hawks missed the playoffs... won't happen. No way in Hades.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
As much as I would laugh my arse off if the Hawks missed the playoffs... won't happen. No way in Hades.
Agreed. The Hawks are currently 11 pts. up on 9th place LA & SJ with 18 games left (SJ has 20 games left). If Chicago goes something like 5-12-1, while LA, SJ, Winnipeg and Minnesotta all go at least something like 10-8-2...then the Hawks miss the playoffs.

Chicago is 5-3-2 in their last 10...well ahead of the pace needed to secure a playoff spot. They're fine. They may end up playing Nashville or Anaheim in Rd. 1 if they fall a bit, but they are in for sure.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

I think that "Blues-Hawks is a lock" thing may fade a bit with Nashville's and Winnipeg's recent play. Still feel like they're the Blues' most likely opponents though.

Jokinen trade still making no sense in the light of day. Feels like throwing away a pick. And weird to see pundits and fans commenting that the Penguins traded for Cole to get tougher in their own zone. Wtf is this guy we got back for him-a 6'4"/220lb pansy?

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

He had a bunch of fighting majors in the minor leagues, so he's no stranger to dropping the gloves. Not going to be a heavy weight champ, but better than what we have in the physical department.

I don't understand how we could be so down on cole when other teams seems to see a great deal more.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

We know the Cole trade freed up minimal money, and I guess the other trades added on some amount of money but only temporarily because I don't think either Michalek or Jokinen will be on the team next season... well maybe Michalek. I mean, we did think Bouwmeester would be just a rental and now we're stuck with him. Anyway, where does this all leave the team heading into the offseason? No way enough was freed up to finance Tarasenko. Cole would have been an RFA but he's a non-issue right now and Allen hasn't exactly earned himself a gigantic pay raise, so Vova is pretty much it, I think. I still don't see how it's possible without shedding additional salary, and I'm afraid they'll feel inclined to bring back Jackman. I'm starting to worry (maybe worry isn't the best word for it) that the only way they'll attempt to shed salary is by trading Bouwmeester and not by trading Berglund. Pie/Shatty/Jackman/Michalek/Gunnarsson top 5 with Lindbohm-Butler-Bortuzzo-Edmundson-Whoever fighting it out the #6 and 7 spots? There are some intriguing UFA defensemen coming up, but again money is a thing. Johnny Oduya is an interesting thought to A) stick it to Chicago and B) have him relatively cheap (probably) and get valuable Cup experience on the team for a couple years while the kids in juniors/college work on polishing their games.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:We know the Cole trade freed up minimal money, and I guess the other trades added on some amount of money but only temporarily because I don't think either Michalek or Jokinen will be on the team next season... well maybe Michalek. I mean, we did think Bouwmeester would be just a rental and now we're stuck with him. Anyway, where does this all leave the team heading into the offseason? No way enough was freed up to finance Tarasenko. Cole would have been an RFA but he's a non-issue right now and Allen hasn't exactly earned himself a gigantic pay raise, so Vova is pretty much it, I think. I still don't see how it's possible without shedding additional salary, and I'm afraid they'll feel inclined to bring back Jackman. I'm starting to worry (maybe worry isn't the best word for it) that the only way they'll attempt to shed salary is by trading Bouwmeester and not by trading Berglund. Pie/Shatty/Jackman/Michalek/Gunnarsson top 5 with Lindbohm-Butler-Bortuzzo-Edmundson-Whoever fighting it out the #6 and 7 spots? There are some intriguing UFA defensemen coming up, but again money is a thing. Johnny Oduya is an interesting thought to A) stick it to Chicago and B) have him relatively cheap (probably) and get valuable Cup experience on the team for a couple years while the kids in juniors/college work on polishing their games.
I asked JR about it in his chat last week. I don't remember his exact response, but it was along the lines of, "Cap is going up a little, but not much, so they'll have to be creative."

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:We know the Cole trade freed up minimal money, and I guess the other trades added on some amount of money but only temporarily because I don't think either Michalek or Jokinen will be on the team next season... well maybe Michalek. I mean, we did think Bouwmeester would be just a rental and now we're stuck with him. Anyway, where does this all leave the team heading into the offseason? No way enough was freed up to finance Tarasenko. Cole would have been an RFA but he's a non-issue right now and Allen hasn't exactly earned himself a gigantic pay raise, so Vova is pretty much it, I think. I still don't see how it's possible without shedding additional salary, and I'm afraid they'll feel inclined to bring back Jackman. I'm starting to worry (maybe worry isn't the best word for it) that the only way they'll attempt to shed salary is by trading Bouwmeester and not by trading Berglund. Pie/Shatty/Jackman/Michalek/Gunnarsson top 5 with Lindbohm-Butler-Bortuzzo-Edmundson-Whoever fighting it out the #6 and 7 spots? There are some intriguing UFA defensemen coming up, but again money is a thing. Johnny Oduya is an interesting thought to A) stick it to Chicago and B) have him relatively cheap (probably) and get valuable Cup experience on the team for a couple years while the kids in juniors/college work on polishing their games.
Up until the playoffs start, this is the most interesting thing to consider about this team. I hope you're right about defense: move Bouwmeester to free space and replace him with the somewhat cheaper Michalek and either let Jackman walk or bring him back on a hometown discount. Not trading Berglund would be suicidal, though it may not make as much difference anyway since I don't think he can be moved without eating some salary. Again, I imagine Goc leaves-and he can carry Jokinen's bag, freeing up about $1.8M. With the cap going up, that probably allows the Blues to offer 91 at least a palatable bridge deal. But then there are the other guys coming down the pike...front office gonna be creating a lot of spreadsheets in the next couple years...

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:
Up until the playoffs start, this is the most interesting thing to consider about this team. I hope you're right about defense: move Bouwmeester to free space and replace him with the somewhat cheaper Michalek and either let Jackman walk or bring him back on a hometown discount. Not trading Berglund would be suicidal, though it may not make as much difference anyway since I don't think he can be moved without eating some salary. Again, I imagine Goc leaves-and he can carry Jokinen's bag, freeing up about $1.8M. With the cap going up, that probably allows the Blues to offer 91 at least a palatable bridge deal. But then there are the other guys coming down the pike...front office gonna be creating a lot of spreadsheets in the next couple years...
Yup. And this is something that every team deals with from time to time.
Hopefully they'll have no trouble keeping the core in tact.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO